Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 10th, 2013 (05:57 PM).
Manska
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Jolly
So yeah, I'd like to share something that a friend linked me to not long ago. I think it's a really interesting read and is a potentially good exercise/piece of advice for improving your writing that I'm planning on attempting with some bits of my future writing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1jltqn/writers_of_reddit_what_are_exceptionally_simple/cbfyn4u

I'd also like to share a comment farther down the thread that mirrors my thoughts on it perfectly:

Quote originally posted by Reddit User Rlight:
I don't think his message is to abide by these rules as commandments. I think he is trying to convey the idea that people cling to these statements, and they have a tendency to strangle creativity. He suggests leaving them behind for six months in order to make you better. Once you learn to write without them, you'll know how to write with them.
I think that while sticking to the advice given might not be the best thing to do as a concrete rule for something you really care about the quality of, as a writing exercise it seems very interesting.
Old November 10th, 2013 (06:11 PM).
Nolafus
Here to stay

Nature: Calm
I've read this before (and even shared it in our writing resources thread), but I haven't gone as far as doing it. I think it would be incredibly challenging , but worth it in the end. I just don't have the free time right now to go through all my writing and pluck out those words, but it's something I'll definitely keep in mind for the future.

Showing v telling, in my opinion, is the hardest thing about writing stories. It takes a lot of effort, a lot of time, and is so difficult to even get good at. I hate commenting about it when I review because I know I'm bringing a frustrating subject up, but it's something that's necessary if the writer really wants to get better.
Old November 10th, 2013 (06:22 PM).
Manska
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Jolly
Ahh, I hadn't noticed that thread. Sorry for accidentally reposting this then.

And yeah, I don't doubt for a second that it's gonna be difficult to do; most likely I'm going to continue writing stuff like my roleplaying as normal and work on a few pieces of one off writing specifically for practicing this, at least at first.
Old November 10th, 2013 (06:52 PM).
Nolafus
Here to stay

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Manska:
Ahh, I hadn't noticed that thread. Sorry for accidentally reposting this then.

And yeah, I don't doubt for a second that it's gonna be difficult to do; most likely I'm going to continue writing stuff like my roleplaying as normal and work on a few pieces of one off writing specifically for practicing this, at least at first.
It's fine, as long is this is kept to a discussion about showing v telling.

I'm definitely going to have to try writing a couple short stories with this in mind, it could help a lot.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links