• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tablets (x86)

quilzel

net start w3svc
Years
So, in probably a very questionable move last night, I bought a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 from the Microsoft Store in Kansas City. I liked that it charges via micro USB, is light weight, and has a full USB cable. I got it home and started setting it up, but I noticed some discoloration on the bottom of the LCD panel. I am going to take it back after work today and see if I can get it exchanged.

I'm posting this wondering if anyone here has experience with the low power SoC Windows 8(x86) tablets.

Do you have one? What do you think of the idea? Are you planning on getting one?

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
I have a Microsoft Surface Pro, it's an x64 Tablet, but x64 is compatible with x86.
I just love how complete it feels, compared to Android and iOS, and how you can do everything you can't do on the other said Tablets.

Besides, Tablets with an x86 or x64 Processor are considered Laptops in a Tablet form factor, which is good, because you have full freedom over your Tablet (even way more than you have on Android Tablets), and it also means you don't need to buy a new Tablet every year, just to keep up with the latest OS.
Will your Tablet work with Windows 9? Install Windows 9 like you would do with a Laptop or Desktop.
Will your Tablet not work with Windows 9? Either stay on Windows 8.1, or install Linux, OSx86 (Mac for non-Apple Computers), *BSD, or anything else you like.
You only can't go to Windows 7 or lower, because they don't support UEFI.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
You only can't go to Windows 7 or lower, because they don't support UEFI.

You actually can set them to CSM boot.

Some Windows 7 machines that later shipped with Windows 8, as well as downgraded machines, actually do this by default - the system is shipped with UEFI firmware, but using CSM boot mode.

There's also another thing called Secure Boot, which won't take effect if it's in CSM boot - remember, the UEFI firmware your PC is using is basically pretending to be a BIOS at this point.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
I think I'm fine enough with Linux, actually.
I can't do as much with Linux as I can with Windows, but at least I don't need pay Millions of Euros a month on electricity, because I need to put a fan behind it.

Back