Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 25th, 2013 (12:25 PM).
Esper

It's kind of crazy the levels that the badguys get to in comics. I've read a little of early Avengers and Thor and they're very pulp-y, like stopping bank robberies and that sort of thing. Now every plot is about saving the galaxy from destruction or something. Nothing wrong with that, of course, it's fun, but it's a little sad that you can't really go back to the pulp-y stuff without it seeming a little, I dunno, below what we expect of the superheroes.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 25th, 2013 (05:31 PM).
JayD
I‘m not going to die. Because I’m the one who will protect you.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
That's what I love about superheroes becoming super heroes. They never take on huge stuffs when they just get their powers, they stop little petty crimes like store robbers and whatnot

It's the reason why I love seeing the early stages of superheroes a lot, seeing them gain their superpowers and seeing them adapt their new lifestyle into their regular lifestyle.
Old November 26th, 2013 (12:52 PM).
Esper

Probably the reason most superhero movies are about that stuff, too. Plus I'm sure it's easier and cheaper to make a normal city street your set instead of some complicated green screen.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 27th, 2013 (01:41 PM).
Zoro
hi
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Zoro
I get what you mean. I love how the villains and plots have become more complicated, however I could see how things can gt too complicated. I remember reading some of the older issues of Batman (like in the 30s-40s) and the villains were average day jos. Now we've got like Batman vs Hulk jr. (not really ofc). xp

Anyways, liking the new usernames. Tell me what you guys think about this article: http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201108/real-life-superheroes-phoenix-jones

It's about real-life superheros apparently. It's a bit long but I want to know what you guys think?
Old November 27th, 2013 (04:03 PM).
Fairy
maid of space

Quote originally posted by Bruce Banner:
Anyways, liking the new usernames. Tell me what you guys think about this article: http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201108/real-life-superheroes-phoenix-jones

It's about real-life superheros apparently. It's a bit long but I want to know what you guys think?
Oh man I love Phoenix Jones! I don't really like what he does, because at the end of the day he isn't really licensed to be a hero in the sense that our police officers are so some of his methods are of questionable legality, but I still think his message is awesome.

I mean, he's pretty much the poster boy for self accountability. And that even one individual can make a difference. I'm all for anyone who wants to take charge and do something positive for themselves and others.

Not gunna lie, I have my own costume. /sigh I'm a black belt so I do have some qualifications as a superheroine.. but I couldn't deal with the public and like so many people know my secret identity soooo.. But yup, I've thought about it.
clubstuck x mayor club
credit x club fae
Old November 27th, 2013 (04:45 PM).
Esper

My town has one of the sandwich handler superheroes, as someone in the article calls them. (I'm still reading through it.) He leaves money in the book return at the library and calls the police when he sees something illegal going on. That kind of thing. I think it's the people who don't try to confront crime who are better heroes. Much as it would be really nice to see someone personally stop crime, it's too risky and the legal side is messy.

Quote originally posted by Alexial:
Not gunna lie, I have my own costume. /sigh I'm a black belt so I do have some qualifications as a superheroine.. but I couldn't deal with the public and like so many people know my secret identity soooo.. But yup, I've thought about it.
If you're not going to then can you tell us what your superhero name is?

deviantart blog pair
Old December 1st, 2013 (12:40 AM).
Fairy
maid of space

Quote originally posted by Esper:
My town has one of the sandwich handler superheroes, as someone in the article calls them. (I'm still reading through it.) He leaves money in the book return at the library and calls the police when he sees something illegal going on. That kind of thing. I think it's the people who don't try to confront crime who are better heroes. Much as it would be really nice to see someone personally stop crime, it's too risky and the legal side is messy.

If you're not going to then can you tell us what your superhero name is?
Now that's a hard one, because I have yet to get full confirmation on whether or not I'm going to have a team. If there's more than just me, I want them to have a say in what the team's name is going to be and how our individual names should tie into it.

Alone though? Something badass like The Dawn Guardian or Indigo R'ever. >:3

Any takers? Who else would have a superhero(ine) persona and what would your superhero name be?
clubstuck x mayor club
credit x club fae
Old December 1st, 2013 (08:29 AM).
JayD
Community Supporter

Tbh, I actually have a retractable bo stick and some nunchucks in my bag everytime I go out. In case I see some crime going on, I just pop them out and start doing what I do best

6 years in muay-thai and became a apprentice teacher this summer
Old December 1st, 2013 (09:33 AM).
Zoro
hi
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by LilJz:
Tbh, I actually have a retractable bo stick and some nunchucks in my bag everytime I go out. In case I see some crime going on, I just pop them out and start doing what I do best

6 years in muay-thai and became a apprentice teacher this summer
Dude are you being serious? :p
Old December 1st, 2013 (10:21 AM).
JayD
Community Supporter

Well, I do A LOT of training so I just keep them in my bag so I don't have to hassle myself everytime to bring it out and put it back in, haha

So when I go out, I happen to have some weapons of mass destruction in my bag! >=D xD
Old December 1st, 2013 (02:33 PM).
Zoro
hi
Community Supporter

Well, I do A LOT of training so I just keep them in my bag so I don't have to hassle myself everytime to bring it out and put it back in, haha

So when I go out, I happen to have some weapons of mass destruction in my bag! >=D xD
That is awesome man! You could be a modern day superhero like Kick Ass! You'd need a cool sidekick though, Katy Perry might work. xD

Anyways, just drank Caramel Cappuccino and antsy so new topic for the week.

Who's your guys' favorite villain from any superhero movie? My favorite is personally Heath Ledger from The Dark Night. I mean, the dude died after the movie. Crazy!

Also, a ridiculous article I found: Comic Book Evangelism – The Store That Becomes A Church On Sunday

I don't know how religious you guys are (I personally am not that religious), but I find it crazy how a comic book store became a church. Especially in Kentucky! I live in Kentucky, and let me tell you guys, most of the people here are go to church Sunday, eat a big mean afterwards and watch sports. lol

What are your thoughts on this? Does it cross the line?
Old December 2nd, 2013 (11:34 AM).
Esper

I don't know why a comic store needs to become a church. I've never been to Kentucky, but even in my non-Bible Belt part of the country we're not hurting for churches. You can't drive down any major street without passing one or two.

Quote originally posted by Strawberry:
Any takers? Who else would have a superhero(ine) persona and what would your superhero name be?
I wouldn't because I'm a wimp and would get my butt handed to me. I'd much more fit into the support category like Alfred to Batman or something like that.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 2nd, 2013 (04:13 PM).
Ozymandias
yah, you betcha
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ozymandias
What is your favorite Comic Book company: DC, Marvel, Dark Horse or other?

DC Fanboy here XD

Who is your favorite character?

Aquaman! Joker, Batman, and Dick Grayson (Nightwing)

What is your favorite comic book TV show or movie?

Dark Knight Series

Why do you want to join the club?

Looks like a fun place to talk about comics :D
Old December 3rd, 2013 (07:10 PM).
Fairy
maid of space

Quote originally posted by Bruce Banner:
That is awesome man! You could be a modern day superhero like Kick Ass! You'd need a cool sidekick though, Katy Perry might work. xD

Anyways, just drank Caramel Cappuccino and antsy so new topic for the week.

Who's your guys' favorite villain from any superhero movie? My favorite is personally Heath Ledger from The Dark Night. I mean, the dude died after the movie. Crazy!

Also, a ridiculous article I found: Comic Book Evangelism – The Store That Becomes A Church On Sunday

I don't know how religious you guys are (I personally am not that religious), but I find it crazy how a comic book store became a church. Especially in Kentucky! I live in Kentucky, and let me tell you guys, most of the people here are go to church Sunday, eat a big mean afterwards and watch sports. lol

What are your thoughts on this? Does it cross the line?
Any superhero movie? VENOM VENOM VENOM! x1000

As for the comic shop turned church.. It seems to me like their objective is to appeal to a younger audience... or at the very least get their name on the second page of a comic themed thread on a Pokemon forum, you know what I mean? Publicity. But hell, I'm sure there's some believers who love comics so who am I to say it's bad? The minute they open a comic shop that's also a dessert bar/art gallery I'm in.
clubstuck x mayor club
credit x club fae
Old December 4th, 2013 (09:52 AM).
Sector

Nature: Naughty
What is your favorite Comic Book company: DC, Marvel, Dark Horse or other? Definitely favored in the DC Universe, Marvel a close second. I only remember Buffy the Vampire Slayer from Dark Horse.

Who is your favorite character? Its a toughie. For DC I certainly love Hawkgirl, but I'm a big Green Arrow fan because of the show, Arrow. Green Arrow, since its more popular I guess? I favor Thor & Iron Man from Marvel's Universe, Black Widow's cool.

What is your favorite comic book TV show or movie? The CW hit series, Arrow. I do watch/love Marvel's Agent of Shield as well, I think Arrow is so much darker & better though!

Why do you want to join the club?
The thing I love about these superhero movies are the fact that they have a load of action scenes. I'm a sucker for action.
Old December 6th, 2013 (11:20 AM). Edited December 6th, 2013 by Zoro.
Zoro
hi
Community Supporter

Welcome Apollo and Sector! Woo two new people that actually prefer DC over Marvel!! haha

Anyways, while I'm in the Christmas spirit (no school today because of snow) I was perusing DC's YouTube account and came across this video:

While I liked the video ad thought it was cute, the show Teen Titans Go! isn't that good in my opinion. I think the producers try too hard to make it a comedy and there's not nearly enough action like the previous Teen Titans on CN. First, when they were announcing bringing the titans back on CN I was excited! Then I saw a trailer for the new show and my jaw dropped. Not in amazement but stupidity.

What are your thoughts on the show "Teen Titans Go!"?

Also, do you think the Powerpuff Girls are considered superheroes? Yeah, random question but it popped into my head as I was typing about Teen Titans.

Spoiler:
No school today an got a pecan pie. Turned out to be a great birthday so far. x3

Jealous?
Old December 7th, 2013 (10:47 AM).
Esper

PPGs aren't classic comic book superheroes, but sure, yeah, they're superheroes just in a different form. They fight crime and save the day and have powers and stuff. That's all you really need to be a superhero, right?

Actually, I wonder how you do define a superhero.

And I don't know anything about Teen Titans, but that video was cute and funny. Those would make good shorts.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 10th, 2013 (07:45 AM).
Zoro
hi
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Esper:
PPGs aren't classic comic book superheroes, but sure, yeah, they're superheroes just in a different form. They fight crime and save the day and have powers and stuff. That's all you really need to be a superhero, right?

Actually, I wonder how you do define a superhero.

And I don't know anything about Teen Titans, but that video was cute and funny. Those would make good shorts.
Very good question! Here's how I definite a superhero and differentiate a superhero from a normal hero:

A normal hero helps saves peoples lives, and saves "the day". A superhero has some type of special weapon special power. By this logic, I would honestly barely describe Batman as a superhero.

Is Batman as much of a superhero as someone like Superman or Captain Marvel?
Old December 10th, 2013 (07:54 AM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.
Community Supporter

Super hero implies there is something supernatural about you, in my opinion. So nah, I wouldn't consider Batman or even Nightwing etc a superhero. In fact my friend who reads the Nightwing comics told me that on his first mission he ends up getting... shall we say sexually used against his will... by a woman. There ain't nothing super about him if he couldn't even stop that one

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 11th, 2013 (07:15 AM).
adventure
impossible girl

Nature: Naive
What is your favorite Comic Book company: MARVEL!

Who is your favorite character?: Iron Man. But also Wolverine.

What is your favorite comic book TV show or movie?: I really liked X-men Evolution :3 My favorite live action movies in this genre are Batman The Dark Knight and the whole Iron Man trilogy. Batman because Christopher Nolan is god, and Iron Man because Tony Stark (RDJ or not) is love and I loved all three movies.

Why do you want to join the club?: WHY HAVEN'T I JOINED THIS CLUB YET AASKJH GARBLE GARLKLnj hi I just want more superhero comic talk in my life. :3

As for the topic, I don't think you need a supernatural power to be a superhero. The difference between hero and superhero imo is the costume, the defining "powers" or accessories as well as a mission/crusade/goal to be fighting for. Which most often has to do with countering supervillains. A hero could be anyone doing something heroic.
Old December 11th, 2013 (11:17 AM).
Sector

Nature: Naughty

I definitely have to say this, superheroes doesn't mean you're a hero. Its the symbol, the example it stands for, that matters more. If you haven't watched the Dark Knight trilogy, watch it. It is the perfect example when Batman/Bruce Wayne explained it.
Old December 11th, 2013 (02:40 PM).
Zoro
hi
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Shining Raichu:
Super hero implies there is something supernatural about you, in my opinion. So nah, I wouldn't consider Batman or even Nightwing etc a superhero. In fact my friend who reads the Nightwing comics told me that on his first mission he ends up getting... shall we say sexually used against his will... by a woman. There ain't nothing super about him if he couldn't even stop that one
Haha good point. But every superhero has their slip ups. I'm sure that even Superman has screwed up at one point. Just because they're superheroes does't mean they are perfect. For example, Batman screwed up when he could have prevented Jason Todd from dying. That was super sad. :c

Quote originally posted by Adventure:
What is your favorite Comic Book company: MARVEL!

Who is your favorite character?: Iron Man. But also Wolverine.

What is your favorite comic book TV show or movie?: I really liked X-men Evolution :3 My favorite live action movies in this genre are Batman The Dark Knight and the whole Iron Man trilogy. Batman because Christopher Nolan is god, and Iron Man because Tony Stark (RDJ or not) is love and I loved all three movies.

Why do you want to join the club?: WHY HAVEN'T I JOINED THIS CLUB YET AASKJH GARBLE GARLKLnj hi I just want more superhero comic talk in my life. :3

As for the topic, I don't think you need a supernatural power to be a superhero. The difference between hero and superhero imo is the costume, the defining "powers" or accessories as well as a mission/crusade/goal to be fighting for. Which most often has to do with countering supervillains. A hero could be anyone doing something heroic.
Woooooooooo! Welcome to the club man. We now have cookies!
Spoiler:

baked them myself. Feel free to take one...IF YOU DARE!! :3

ow we gotta get Sheep and Dero to join. xp

Quote originally posted by Sector:

I definitely have to say this, superheroes doesn't mean you're a hero. Its the symbol, the example it stands for, that matters more. If you haven't watched the Dark Knight trilogy, watch it. It is the perfect example when Batman/Bruce Wayne explained it.
Hm, different. I really liked your answer to the question; great example too. That trilogy had some of the best quotes, many of them coming from Alfred. Symbolism plays much in heroes, yes? It also plays a large role in the villains as well.

--------------------------------------------

Besides the delicious cookies, here's some more food for thought:

“I Don’t Read Comics As A 49 Year Old Man” – Nicolas Cage

What are your guys' thoughts about older people reading comics. Do you think there should be a certain cut off age where comics can become immature? As he says in the article, there's nothing wrong with it. However, much of society looks down on comic book readers. The stereotype that all comic book readers live in their mother's basement and eat cheetos all day has been prevalent throughout the ages.
Old December 11th, 2013 (02:57 PM).
JayD
Community Supporter

What are your guys' thoughts about older people reading comics. Do you think there should be a certain cut off age where comics can become immature?

I think it's just dumb to judge people by what kind of books they read. Of course there's the stereotype, but whatever, there's always a stereotype for everything, aren't they?
Also, just because kids look up to superheroes means that it's for kids only? People that says that just proves that they haven't picked up a comic book and actually took the time to read it. Depending on the storyline, it can be very very dark. Like Spawn for example, so much deaths, blood and guts going around in that comic book. But if it isn't frowned upon by people for it's kid audience, people bash on it for it's sexual characteristics (ie: huge breasts and mover the top muscled men) or it's too violent. It's easier to bash on comic book than novels because you can see how the stuffs are drawn while novels you got to read them to know how the characters looks like.
Old December 11th, 2013 (07:15 PM).
Sheep
pretty princess

Nature: Timid
What is your favorite Comic Book company: DC, Marvel, Dark Horse or other? Marvel!
Who is your favorite character? Ahh.. I can't chose. I really like Thor and the rest of the Avengers. :)
What is your favorite comic book TV show or movie? I actually don't read the comics but am huge on the movies. That's probably really stupid to the hardcore comic book fans but I really hope I can get into the comics themselves soon! I liked Thor: The Dark World and The Avengers. Oh, and The Dark Knight.
Why do you want to join the club? I've been meaning to get more into superheroes and have loved the recent superhero movies we've gotten. So why not?!

This week's topic is: Thor 2
Hnnn so good. The sequel was remarkable and so funny, I loved all the silly remarks and witty comments Loki made especially. The plot was also great and I liked how they actually gave Jane more of a role. Would definitely watch it again~

da best | family | my star | twin
Old December 14th, 2013 (10:06 AM).
Zoro
hi
Community Supporter

What are your guys' thoughts about older people reading comics. Do you think there should be a certain cut off age where comics can become immature?

I think it's just dumb to judge people by what kind of books they read. Of course there's the stereotype, but whatever, there's always a stereotype for everything, aren't they?
Also, just because kids look up to superheroes means that it's for kids only? People that says that just proves that they haven't picked up a comic book and actually took the time to read it. Depending on the storyline, it can be very very dark. Like Spawn for example, so much deaths, blood and guts going around in that comic book. But if it isn't frowned upon by people for it's kid audience, people bash on it for it's sexual characteristics (ie: huge breasts and mover the top muscled men) or it's too violent. It's easier to bash on comic book than novels because you can see how the stuffs are drawn while novels you got to read them to know how the characters looks like.
Very true! That seems to be the case with everything. Yeah, I think you can like comics at any age. I mean look at Sta Lee, the dude's like 80 years old and he loves them.

Quote originally posted by Sheep:
What is your favorite Comic Book company: DC, Marvel, Dark Horse or other? Marvel!
Who is your favorite character? Ahh.. I can't chose. I really like Thor and the rest of the Avengers.
What is your favorite comic book TV show or movie? I actually don't read the comics but am huge on the movies. That's probably really stupid to the hardcore comic book fans but I really hope I can get into the comics themselves soon! I liked Thor: The Dark World and The Avengers. Oh, and The Dark Knight.
Why do you want to join the club? I've been meaning to get more into superheroes and have loved the recent superhero movies we've gotten. So why not?!

This week's topic is: Thor 2
Hnnn so good. The sequel was remarkable and so funny, I loved all the silly remarks and witty comments Loki made especially. The plot was also great and I liked how they actually gave Jane more of a role. Would definitely watch it again~

Yeeeeeeeee, my buddy joined. So happy! Welcome to the club. <3
Sorry for the laziness guys, ive been busy with school and work. Dx
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links