The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Clubs
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pokémon Clubs This forum is for those who wish to start a club within the community. This forum is for Pokémon clubs; Fan Clubs & Groups is for everything else.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.


Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old November 21st, 2013, 06:25 AM
Sector's Avatar
Sector
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty


Welcome to.....

The Gym Leaders' Club





Rules
  • The default picture above links to the original thread. This is a revived version.
  • Follow all Club Rules, and all other PC Rules will apply.
  • Any Spamming, trolling or any sign of hatred will result in banishment from the club.
  • Activity is a good thing, so please try to remain active.
  • Stay on topic, this is for about anything and everything Gym Leaders ONLY!
  • When posting pictures, make sure you preview before posting. If it says use a "Shared Link," please do so.
  • Every new members can start out by choosing up to three Gym Leaders to train under! Please choose the same types of Pokemon for each leaders up to 6! If you happen to had chosen a Pokemon that the leaders has, it will automatically be classified as "their" Pokemon. (Ex: Brock's Onix) Any Pokemon banned to Uber is also banned from being chosen here.
  • Any recommendations? See an error in spelling or organizating? Send the owner a PM.




Sign-Up Form
Name:
Your 3 Gym Leaders:
6 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!):
Why have you joined to be trained:
Answer Current Topic





Gym Leaders

INDIGO LEAGUE

Pewter City Gym




Cerulean City Gym





Vermilion City Gym




Celadon City Gym




Fuchsia City Gym




Saffron City Gym




Cinnabar/Seafoam Islands Gym




Viridian City Gym




JOHTO LEAGUE

Violet City Gym




Azalea Town Gym




Goldenrod City Gym




Ecruteak City Gym




Cianwood City Gym




Olivine City Gym




Mahogany Town Gym




Blackthorn City Gym




HOENN LEAGUE

Rustboro City Gym




Dewford Town Gym




Mauville City Gym




Lavaridge Town Gym




Petalburg City Gym




Fortree City Gym




Mossdeep City Gym




Sootopolis City Gym




SINNOH LEAGUE

Oreburgh City Gym




Eterna City Gym




Hearthome City Gym




Veilstone City Gym




Pastoria City Gym




Canalave City Gym




Snowpoint City Gym




Sunyshore City Gym



UNOVA LEAGUE

Striaton City Gym








Nacrene City Gym



Castelia City Gym




Nimbasa City Gym




Driftveil City Gym




Mistralton City Gym




Icirrus City




Opelucid City Gym






Aspertia City Gym




Virbank City Gym



Seigaiha City Gym



KALOS LEAGUE

Santalune City Gym




Cyllage City Gym



Shalour City Gym




Coumarine City Gym




Lumiose City Gym




Laverre City Gym




Anistar City Gym




Snowbelle City Gym




FORMER LEADERS

Fuchsia City Gym




Viridian City Gym




Sootopolis City

















































Members (9)
~Hover for names~

Sector
Water Gym Leader
Slayr231?
Sheep??
Olli?
Fighting Girl?
Hikari10









Past Topics

Which Gym Leader is your favorite and why?
Which Gym Leader(s) gave you the most trouble?
Majority of the Gym battles are single battles. Do you think there should be more multi-battle formats (Doubles/Triples/Rotations)?
What is your favorite gym layout?


__________________

Last edited by Sector; December 3rd, 2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Editing
  #2    
Old November 21st, 2013, 07:28 AM
Water Gym Leader's Avatar
Water Gym Leader
Arlyn Aquos
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pacifidlog Town
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Water Gym Leader
Name: Water Gym Leader (Arlyn Aquos)
Your 3 Gym Leaders: Misty Juan Cress
6 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!): Shiny Mudkip (Kippers), Vaporeon (Vee), Gyarados (Happy), Walrein (Orion), Pelipper (Wings), Wailord (Travler)
Why have you joined to be trained: Well I feel that to be an effective Gym Leader of Water Pokemon I should at least train under Water Gym Leaders.
Answer Current Topic: I feel the past topic right now is the current topic so...for a Dark type leader...his name would be Clyde, he would use Bisharp, Malamar, Spiritomb, and a Greninja. He would hand out the Moon Badge and would be the 6th gym leader of his region.
__________________

3DS FC: 0903-4056-8403
3DS XL FC: 0404-6887-6558
~~DIVING DEEP~~ (A Water Pokemon Fan Club)
  #3    
Old November 21st, 2013, 02:32 PM
Slayr231's Avatar
Slayr231
Aspiring Writer, or something
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Name: Slayr231
Your 3 Gym Leaders:
Erika, Cilan, and Ramos
6 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!): Jumpluff, Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, Sceptile, Breloom, Shiftry
Why have you joined to be trained: I was an online gym leader for a while, so I thought it would be fun to come around and see if I can improve.
Answer Current Topic: I'm not sure what you mean by favorite gym battle. If you're talking about my favorite gym to face in-game, then it has to be Ramos'. It came as a complete shock when I say his gym was grass. I was pleasantly surprised.
__________________
Previously, Nolafus!
Wynaut? Magazine Grass team PC FamilyPairCredit
  #4    
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:38 PM
Sector's Avatar
Sector
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
Welcome folks. Also to note: If you want to change Gym Leaders or Pokemon, or have any suggestions for activities or competition, etc, just let me know by posting here while you're still on the topic discussion. I don't want to blown up elsewhere so it'll be much easier for me to keep track of everything in one area unless I say otherwise. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Gym Leader View Post
Name: Water Gym Leader (Arlyn Aquos)
Your 3 Gym Leaders: Misty Juan Cress
6 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!): Shiny Mudkip (Kippers), Vaporeon (Vee), Gyarados (Happy), Walrein (Orion), Pelipper (Wings), Wailord (Travler)
Why have you joined to be trained: Well I feel that to be an effective Gym Leader of Water Pokemon I should at least train under Water Gym Leaders.
Answer Current Topic: I feel the past topic right now is the current topic so...for a Dark type leader...his name would be Clyde, he would use Bisharp, Malamar, Spiritomb, and a Greninja. He would hand out the Moon Badge and would be the 6th gym leader of his region.
My apologies, I'm saving the topic you answered right now for something later. I have a couple of new topics up though. Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayr231 View Post
Name: Slayr231
Your 3 Gym Leaders:
Erika, Cilan, and Ramos
6 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!): Jumpluff, Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, Sceptile, Breloom, Shiftry
Why have you joined to be trained: I was an online gym leader for a while, so I thought it would be fun to come around and see if I can improve.
Answer Current Topic: I'm not sure what you mean by favorite gym battle. If you're talking about my favorite gym to face in-game, then it has to be Ramos'. It came as a complete shock when I say his gym was grass. I was pleasantly surprised.
Okay, scratch that then. How about I do this:

Which Gym Leader is your favorite and why?
Which Gym Leader(s) gave you the most trouble?


I haven't been in the Clubs section in a year. Please bear with me as I'm a bit rusty! These are the official questions to start off the club! Enjoy & discuss!

P.S.: Yes, this thread has been resurrected, to view the original version/thread of this club, click the photo in the main post to review it. I will ban all UBER Pokemon for Pokemon selections also. Any Pokemon not in Uber Tier is acceptable.
__________________

Last edited by Sector; November 21st, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
  #5    
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:22 PM
Sheep's Avatar
Sheep
foxy foxy whats it gonna be
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sindria
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Name: Cirno
Your 3 Gym Leaders: Clemont, Cilan, Cheren
6 Partner Pokemon: Dedenne, Lillipup, Emolga, Serperior, Whimsicott, Jumpluff (shiny)
Why have you joined to be trained: I'd love to improve my knowledge of Pokemon and battling so why not join this awesome club? Plus, gym leaders are awesome! :)

Which Gym Leader(s) gave you the most trouble?
As a kid, Whitney and her Miltank. It constantly used Stomp and Rollout and healed its damage with Milk Drink... UGH. But later on, Fantina and Maylene was absolutely awful to beat; their Pokemon were a lot stronger than mine so I lost several times before I finally thought up of a better strategy.
__________________
pair clubs
family twin
my star
  #6    
Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:24 PM
Olli's Avatar
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Skyloft
Gender: Male
Yaaaaay, this club used to be one of my favourites back in the day, so hope this one will be just as amazing! :)

Name: Olli97
Your 3 Gym Leaders:
6 Partner Pokemon: Magmortar, Talonflame, Aerodactyl, Pidgey, Dewgong and Articuno.
Why have you joined to be trained: I feel like the gym leaders are pretty much the role models of the Pokemon world, even if they may not be as high up on the league challenge rank-ladder as the E4 and the champion. However, they're the trainers that everyone gets the chance to face, and often the ones who end up being the most defined apart from the champion. In the later games as well as in the anime, they're often take part in resolving certain issues, and it appears as though the gym leaders have kinda been assigned town/city leaders of some sort, since they're often the ones who people depend on will help them if any problems do surface. They're what I imagine a lot of young trainers aspire to be (I'm sure not everyone wants to be the very best... right? ;)), and are just overall really important for the entire Pokemon world. I also like how games since Emerald have incorporated the rematch system, since I felt like the concept of gym leaders was kinda off in the games before hand, since the games pretty much had to sacrifice the equality of the gym leaders for the games to actually be linear. So the first gym leader would always feel weak, and the final gym leader significantly harder, simply because of the level and difficulty difference needed to actually make the player feel like they're progressing (even though some gym leaders managed to break this system *cough*Whitney*cough* :D). And the rematch system pretty much fixed this. As well as the World Championships in BW2 :p But yeah, that's why I want to be trained :)

Which Gym Leader(s) gave you the most trouble?

Now the obvious choice would probably be Whitney, because, even though all the memories of difficulty within the second generation games have kinda faded into my subconsciousness, the absolute hell that was Whitney still remains clear in my mind. Her darn Miltank stomping the life out of all my Pokemon is something that I still clearly remember, but I honestly don't remember how many times it happened or how I overcame it, so I have one much more obvious choice.

I don't think I've had as much trouble with beating a trainer before as I had with Clay on my first playthrough of Black 2. My mistake was pretty much using a Bug type as the only Pokemon that had super effective moves against him, and using a team that was pretty much all weak to him. I mean, my team consisted of 5 Pokemon at the time, 4 of which were were weak to his combination of Ground and Rock type moves. It was hell trying to get past him, and required a lot of grinding before I finally managed to beat him. And that was just out of sheer luck when rebattling him over and over again, praying for him to miss on certain attacks. I'd tried to look for a Water type that could aid me in the battle against him, but I never managed to, so his Excadrill pretty much reached the same status for me, as Miltank has done with so many others. Now I know to prepare myself next time I'm going to face him :p Thank God it wasn't on hard mode.
__________________
  #7    
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Slayr231's Avatar
Slayr231
Aspiring Writer, or something
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Which Gym Leader is your favorite and why?
Me from my online career Probably Ramos. I just really like his gym and the fact that it was a complete surprise when I saw it. The giant tree and how you had to scale it was pretty cool. Sadly I trounced all over that gym with Talonflame, but it still managed to be my favorite. Face it, I'm way too obsessed with grass types.

Which Gym Leader(s) gave you the most trouble?
Probably Jassmine in Heart Gold. I was doing something similar to a nuzlocke challenge where if your pokemon fainted, you couldn't use it anymore. Anyway, I was up against her and it was my Weepinbell against her Steelix. My Weepinbell almost died. It was the closest any of my pokemon ever came to dying and I hold it against her a little.
__________________
Previously, Nolafus!
Wynaut? Magazine Grass team PC FamilyPairCredit
  #8    
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Fighting Girl's Avatar
Fighting Girl
Fighting Type Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fighting Dojo
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Name: Fighting Girl
Your 3 Gym Leaders:
Maylene, Korrina, Chuck
6 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!): Lucario, Throh, Sawk, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Hitmontop.
Why have you joined to be trained: To become a stronger Fighting type trainer, and to one day become the strongest Fighting type user of all time.
Which Gym Leader is your favorite and why? Maylene because she is a fighting type gym leader and she is strong.
Which Gym Leader(s) gave you the most trouble?
Wattson for some reason I had trouble beating. I don't know why but it takes me a few tries to beat him whenever I play Emerald.

__________________

Maylene is my favorite Gym Leader.
  #9    
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:34 PM
Sector's Avatar
Sector
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
Okay, the Thanksgiving chaos last week kept me busy & away from the internet (out of the house) quite a lot. My apologies, I was expecting more members to sign up than the current amount. I'll get the list updated tonight for those new members. Welcome!

New Topic!

Majority of the Gym battles are single battles. Do you think there should be more multi-battle formats(Doubles/Triples/Rotations)? Explain your reasoning.

I think there definitely should. Gym battles are supposed to be a test. Test for all things battling. So with the majority of it being single battles, I think as a trainer, you are prepared to do most of the different formats you could be training for. Thus why Single Battles are favored more than the multi battles. Then again, you battle singles outside of Gym Battles majority of the time also, but that's no excuse.

When Pokemon Black/White came out, I was expecting more of the Triple/Rotation battle mechanics, which means coming across a Gym Leader & battling them that way. Its been a while since I played Pokemon Black, but I don't remember such thing happening.
__________________
  #10    
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:53 PM
Olli's Avatar
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Skyloft
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector View Post
Okay, the Thanksgiving chaos last week kept me busy & away from the internet (out of the house) quite a lot. My apologies, I was expecting more members to sign up than the current amount. I'll get the list updated tonight for those new members. Welcome!
No worries, hope you had a great time! :)


Majority of the Gym battles are single battles. Do you think there should be more multi-battle formats(Doubles/Triples/Rotations)? Explain your reasoning.

Definitely! Actually, I can't even recall a single gym battle that hasn't been a single battle. My mind initially drew towards Tate and Liza from Hoenn, but I know that their gym fight was initially singe battle as well, and I'm not sure if that was changed in Emerald once they introduced the double battles? I kinda feel like allowing the player to choose between the battle formats in gym battles would be kind of a good idea, since it'd allow for more diversity, and different battle experienced, as opposed to the gym battles being the same in each playthrough (even though it's still very limited), and that would also still allow people doing certain challenges, specifically the single Pokemon challenge, to be able to continue with it, without having to bend the rules for that specific gym battle. But on the other hand, it could potentially help players, if the gym leaders' teams weren't centered around a specific format, giving the player an edge, but I don't know if that'd actually be the case, I just imagine that it could be :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector View Post
When Pokemon Black/White came out, I was expecting more of the Triple/Rotation battle mechanics, which means coming across a Gym Leader & battling them that way. Its been a while since I played Pokemon Black, but I don't remember such thing happening.
I can definitely say I feel the same way. They had the perfect opportunity to introduce the triple battle in form of a gym battle, seeing as we had a gym with three different gym leaders, but they completely blew by selecting the opponent through your choice of starter. I can see why they did it, seeing as not all people catch three Pokemon before the first gym, and it'd definitely make the gym pretty tough, if you only had one Pokemon to take on all three of theirs at the same time with, but to compensate for that, they could've just moved the gym later into the game. Definitely disappointed with that decision :(

But yeah, I definitely want to see different format gym battles in the future, whether it's mandatory or optional, I just want it to be a thing :p
__________________
  #11    
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:31 PM
Slayr231's Avatar
Slayr231
Aspiring Writer, or something
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Majority of the Gym battles are single battles. Do you think there should be more multi-battle formats(Doubles/Triples/Rotations)? Explain your reasoning.

Definitely. I think having multiple battling styles would be fun. It would encourage you to actually order your party in a way so that Greninja's surf isn't right next to poor Talonflame. It would introduce a little bit more strategy than just regular single battles and make the games that much more fun. At least in my opinion.
__________________
Previously, Nolafus!
Wynaut? Magazine Grass team PC FamilyPairCredit
  #12    
Old December 1st, 2013, 07:23 PM
Fighting Girl's Avatar
Fighting Girl
Fighting Type Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fighting Dojo
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Majority of the Gym battles are single battles. Do you think there should be more multi-battle formats(Doubles/Triples/Rotations)? Explain your reasoning.

I think that there should be different ways to vs gym leaders. Maybe they should have the Battle Frontier type battles too like KO battle and Pokemon battle on there own. Have different ways to vs the gym leader. It makes the game more of a challenge and more fun. Maybe have triplets that you vs in a triple battle, Maybe a sky battle against a Flying type gym leader. What about a gym leader who has different Pokemon of there typing each time you vs them. Make a game where each gym leader battle is different. There are many different ways to battle in Pokemon and one day it would be cool to see a gym leader use one of these battle types.
__________________

Maylene is my favorite Gym Leader.
  #13    
Old December 1st, 2013, 11:15 PM
Hikamaru's Avatar
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
I was in the last Gym Leader club so I'm surprised no-one informed me this got remade...

Name: Hikari10
Your 3 Gym Leaders: Marlon, Elesa and Cilan
6 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!): Jellicent, Quagsire, Emolga, Ampharos, Lilligant and Whimsicott
Why have you joined to be trained: Gym Leaders are strong and are really great characters in general, because to make the most of it you have to bring out the best in your fave type!

Majority of the Gym battles are single battles. Do you think there should be more multi-battle formats(Doubles/Triples/Rotations)?

I know we've had doubles thanks to Tate and Liza, and there's an option to do these formats in battles against the Leaders in the PWT but for regular Gym battles I prefer sticking with the old singles format. I was kinda disappointed they didn't make Cilan, Chili and Cress battle in a Triple Battle but I get Olli's point, players would probably not have enough team members that early so they instead picked the one you face based on starter choice.
__________________


paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

loa: july 29 - august 12

  #14    
Old December 2nd, 2013, 01:11 AM
Sector's Avatar
Sector
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
Okay the list has finally been updated. Welcome back Hikari! I remember the moment I entered the gym with Cilan, Chili & Cress, I was expecting a triple/rotation battle. I was pretty disappointed as well, but I just moved on when I left the gym.

I have a question for everyone. What kind of activity would you like to see occur in this club? Yes, we need more members, but I would like to host a gym leader tournament or something of sort down the road. Kick off the club with some fun doing what we love, battling. What kind of tournament, you ask? Well who knows, that's why I'm asking YOU. Any ideas?
__________________
  #15    
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Slayr231's Avatar
Slayr231
Aspiring Writer, or something
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Possibly a monotype tournament? I mean, gym leaders do only work with one type, so it would only make sense that we would have a monotype tournament.

As far as tournaments go, if I were to be a part of one, it would have to take place on Showdown. I'm pretty busy with finals coming up, but I'll be free at the end of this week. I would like to be a part of a tournaments, but if everyone else has other ideas for wifi tournaments, then I don't want to hold that back.
__________________
Previously, Nolafus!
Wynaut? Magazine Grass team PC FamilyPairCredit
  #16    
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Tetra's Avatar
Tetra
moonblast
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: underwater
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Name: Zeratul

Your 3 Gym Leaders: Blaine, Korrina and Clemont! <3

6 Partner Pokemon (Read the rules, & yes we can have nicknames!): Houndoom, Magmorter (Blaine) Machamp, Lucario (Korrina) and Magneton and Emolga. <3

Why have you joined to be trained: I want to become a Gym Leader, since my battling skills are quite efficient, and why nawt? :>

Majority of the Gym battles are single battles. Do you think there should be more multi-battle formats (Doubles/Triples/Rotations)? Explain your reasoning.

Yeah, there should definitely be. I don't see why not, since it would match certain Gym Leaders such as the trio in Unova. I did kinda expect them to be a rotation battle since it was promoted the most back in Gen V, but sadly it was not. I guess they did that since it would probably be to challenging, and most players would not of have caught many Pokémon by the first Gym. But I could see even Psychic-Type Gyms being Rotation or even Triple. :>
__________________
paired to Nathan
  #17    
Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:08 PM
Olli's Avatar
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Skyloft
Gender: Male
Welcome to the club, Hikari and Zeratul! Hope you'll have a great time :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeratul View Post
I did kinda expect them to be a rotation battle since it was promoted the most back in Gen V, but sadly it was not. I guess they did that since it would probably be to challenging, and most players would not of have caught many Pokémon by the first Gym. But I could see even Psychic-Type Gyms being Rotation or even Triple. :>
I honestly never liked the rotation battle system. I mean, I like how it challenges the player, by allowing the opponent to throw unexpected moved at you, but it's just... It kinda felt a lot less skill based, and more luck-based, since you'd have to pray for your opponent to rotate in the direction you want, etc., and I have terrible memories of being whooped multiple times by an Archeops in a rotation battle :( That's why I'd still prefer the option to decide which format you want to battle in, as I know not everyone feels this way, and to be honest, I reckon it'd be great for when I wanted some challenge. I never really liked the idea of triple battle that much either, because of how you were restricted depending on which side of the field your Pokemon was in, and I'd just much rather see it like double battles, just with three Pokemon instead. But again, not everyone feels this way :p

As for the tournament, I definitely agree that it should be a monotype tournament, but I don't see why a tournament where you pick the team of a gym leader wouldn't work either, since every gym leader (except the ones in sixth gen) received a PWT team, so it's not like anyone is really underpowered :p But monotype allows for more variety, and kind of gives you the option to be your own gym leader, rather than replicating the current ones, so that's definitely my choice :)
__________________
  #18    
Old December 2nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
Christopher's Avatar
Christopher
Hear Me Roar
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Name:Christopher
Your 3 Gym Leaders:Bugsy,Burgh & Viola
6 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!):Ninjask,Heracross,Yanmega,Scyther,Shedinja & Whirlipede
Why have you joined to be trained: Because I wanna be the best, like no one ever was. Seriously though bug gyms are typically seen as the weak pushover gyms and I'd like to change that.
Answer Current Topic:
Which Gym Leader is your favorite and why? I'd have to say, Morty he just seems really cool (even though he doesn't use bugs) plus he's really involved with his home city and the event s going on around it. A Close second would have to be Wattson, he just seems fun, like the uncle that let you play with firecrackers as a kid.
Which Gym Leader(s) gave you the most trouble? Whitney...why are my Miltanks never as good as hers...and with the "Scrappy" ability in gen 4, she's just a pain.
__________________
  #19    
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:40 AM
Sector's Avatar
Sector
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayr231 View Post
Possibly a monotype tournament? I mean, gym leaders do only work with one type, so it would only make sense that we would have a monotype tournament.

As far as tournaments go, if I were to be a part of one, it would have to take place on Showdown. I'm pretty busy with finals coming up, but I'll be free at the end of this week. I would like to be a part of a tournaments, but if everyone else has other ideas for wifi tournaments, then I don't want to hold that back.
If we were to do the monotype tournament, I was thinking maybe we could do something like 2 out of 3? I mean, if you held a grass type and went up against a fire type trainer, lets say Zeratul, then you're screwed. Perhaps add a loser's bracket so you have a shot? I don't know who is going to choose which types as of now, but I would like to avoid the advantage and disadvantages in round one of the tourney to be honest. Something like, your Grass vs my Psychic, for instance.

Another thing I had in mind, was maybe a ladder or however you call it? Play exactly as what you would play in-game gym battles, but elect 8 members of the club & battle them all in a row, or use every types(How many types are there, 18?). If that's the case, I would make it where you can't change your team after the first gym battle. I haven't completed Pokemon Black 2, but how did the World Tournament work? I wouldn't know what the prize would be, assuming people are going to ask for something like that. Like, a certain Pokemon someone wants to be bred a certain IVs, nature & gender in X/Y? I don't have the games so I can't speak for that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli View Post
As for the tournament, I definitely agree that it should be a monotype tournament, but I don't see why a tournament where you pick the team of a gym leader wouldn't work either, since every gym leader (except the ones in sixth gen) received a PWT team, so it's not like anyone is really underpowered :p But monotype allows for more variety, and kind of gives you the option to be your own gym leader, rather than replicating the current ones, so that's definitely my choice
Also, what can we say about Blue? He wasn't exactly a monotype gym leader. What was he based on exactly, other than Red's rival?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeratul View Post
Name: Zeratul

Your 3 Gym Leaders: Blaine, Korrina and Clemont! <3

6 Partner Pokemon (Read the rules, & yes we can have nicknames!): Houndoom, Magmorter (Blaine) Machamp, Lucario (Korrina) and Magneton and Emolga. <3

Why have you joined to be trained: I want to become a Gym Leader, since my battling skills are quite efficient, and why nawt? :>

Majority of the Gym battles are single battles. Do you think there should be more multi-battle formats (Doubles/Triples/Rotations)? Explain your reasoning.

Yeah, there should definitely be. I don't see why not, since it would match certain Gym Leaders such as the trio in Unova. I did kinda expect them to be a rotation battle since it was promoted the most back in Gen V, but sadly it was not. I guess they did that since it would probably be to challenging, and most players would not of have caught many Pokémon by the first Gym. But I could see even Psychic-Type Gyms being Rotation or even Triple. :>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Name:Christopher
Your 3 Gym Leaders:Bugsy,Burgh & Viola
6 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!):Ninjask,Heracross,Yanmega,Scyther,Shedinja & Whirlipede
Why have you joined to be trained: Because I wanna be the best, like no one ever was. Seriously though bug gyms are typically seen as the weak pushover gyms and I'd like to change that.
Answer Current Topic:
Which Gym Leader is your favorite and why? I'd have to say, Morty he just seems really cool (even though he doesn't use bugs) plus he's really involved with his home city and the event s going on around it. A Close second would have to be Wattson, he just seems fun, like the uncle that let you play with firecrackers as a kid.
Which Gym Leader(s) gave you the most trouble? Whitney...why are my Miltanks never as good as hers...and with the "Scrappy" ability in gen 4, she's just a pain.
Welcome you two! I'll get you updated soon! New topic also coming:

What is your favorite gym layout? Explain your choice
__________________
  #20    
Old December 3rd, 2013, 01:31 PM
Slayr231's Avatar
Slayr231
Aspiring Writer, or something
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector
If we were to do the monotype tournament, I was thinking maybe we could do something like 2 out of 3? I mean, if you held a grass type and went up against a fire type trainer, lets say Zeratul, then you're screwed. Perhaps add a loser's bracket so you have a shot? I don't know who is going to choose which types as of now, but I would like to avoid the advantage and disadvantages in round one of the tourney to be honest. Something like, your Grass vs my Psychic, for instance.
This was my reaction to the bolded segment:
Spoiler:



I'm sorry, but the type advantages/disadvantages are what makes monotypes so much fun. Grass has the most weaknesses out of any type, so going in with a type disadvantage is something I'm no stranger to. I have a strategy against practically every weakness, and that includes fire. Figuring out how to overcome that weakness with pokemon that aren't meant to do well against it is all part of the fun.

Although a double elimination idea isn't bad. I quite like it because the type disadvantage can be a little too much to handle sometimes.
__________________
Previously, Nolafus!
Wynaut? Magazine Grass team PC FamilyPairCredit
  #21    
Old December 3rd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Christopher's Avatar
Christopher
Hear Me Roar
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
What is your favorite gym layout? Explain your choice:
I would have said either Sootopolis or Fortree city gym. However with the new Kalos gyms, I just can't choose. They were all just amazing If I had to pick one, it would have to be the Anistar city gym. It's layout was like nothing I've ever seen before.
__________________
  #22    
Old December 3rd, 2013, 02:18 PM
Olli's Avatar
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Skyloft
Gender: Male
I've never participated in a monotype tournament, so I can't really say much from my own experience, but I think I'll have to agree with Slayr. While getting matched up with someone with an advantage against your Pokemon in the first round would suck, designing your team to be able to take on such a challenge is all part of a monotype tournament, isn't it? I kinda feel like that would be where the real challenge would lie, but alas, I'm still not experienced with that kind of battling :p I'm not shutting down the idea of 2/3 to advance though, since I honestly still think that'd be a good idea, especially in cases of getting matched up against someone with a team that's strong against you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector View Post
Also, what can we say about Blue? He wasn't exactly a monotype gym leader. What was he based on exactly, other than Red's rival?
I feel like Blue was kind of a special case. They just needed someone to replace Giovanni, he was the obvious choice, and it wouldn't make sense to redesign his team to be purely Ground types; especially considering the games were made mainly for people who'd played the originals :p I can't remember how much his team varied from his rival team in the originals, but I think they both were pretty much based on the stronger Pokemon of the Kanto region. But again, he's kind of an odd one out, so I wouldn't really say the team is really based on anything specific :p Makes you wonder what rules actually apply to gym leaders.
__________________
  #23    
Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:29 PM
Cadance's Avatar
Cadance
& Shining Armour
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pocono
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Cadance
I can join finally! Yay!

Name: Axeliira
Your 3 Gym Leaders: Erika, Elesa, Brycen
6 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!): Leavanny, Meganium, Zebstrika, Ampharos, Aritcuno, Dewgong
Why have you joined to be trained: I want to be an elitist, to show incoming trainers that gym leaders are trainers that have accomplished so much. Not only that, I want to become a mentor to trainers, giving tips for the trainers to use for their journey. :3

What is your favorite gym layout?
It would have to be Elesa's BW gym layout...when it was in a roller coaster format. It's so much fun. I don't see why she moved to a "runway" layout in BW2, though.
__________________

DARRELL WALLACE JR.
mudsummer classic 2014 winner | eldora speedway, ohio | july 23, 2014
moderator of fan clubs & groups | battle server moderator

[22:39] ★srinator: ur sig would become so much more better with my name on it
Shining Armour
leave of absence ~ july 26 to aug 3
  #24    
Old December 4th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Sector's Avatar
Sector
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeliira View Post
I can join finally! Yay!

Name: Axeliira
Your 3 Gym Leaders: Erika, Elesa, Brycen
6 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!): Leavanny, Meganium, Zebstrika, Ampharos, Aritcuno, Dewgong
Why have you joined to be trained: I want to be an elitist, to show incoming trainers that gym leaders are trainers that have accomplished so much. Not only that, I want to become a mentor to trainers, giving tips for the trainers to use for their journey. :3

What is your favorite gym layout?
It would have to be Elesa's BW gym layout...when it was in a roller coaster format. It's so much fun. I don't see why she moved to a "runway" layout in BW2, though.
Didn't some people have a hard time beating Elesa in the first Black & White games? Or am I remember dreams? Which pings the question:

Which version of Elesa do you like best: The blonde hair(from Pokemon Black/White) or the black hair(from Pokemon Black 2/White 2) version?

& Welcome Axeliira!
__________________
  #25    
Old December 8th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Olli's Avatar
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Skyloft
Gender: Male
It's been a while since I played Black 2, but I don't recall having too much of a hard time beating Elesa. I do however recall her Zebstrika to be a beast to take down, and her Emolga was pretty annoying to, being immune to Ground types and all, so perhaps I'm wrong. As for her gym layout, I kinda liked and disliked it at the same time. I thought it was very creative, and can understand why people would like it, but it just felt a bit tedious to me. Like, it wasn't really that challenging, and was more about getting from point to point, to finally be able to get to Elesa. And I constantly had to go back outside to heal, since the trainers kept paralyzing my Pokemon, and that was just awfully time consuming. But it fit greatly into the theme of Electric type Pokemon, so I still like it in that respect :p

As for her design, I don't really know. I kinda like both of them, but just for the sake of choosing one, I'd have to say her B2/W2 design. I feel like the black hair kinda suited her more, and considering B2 is the only fifth generation game I've played, there's bound to be some bias ;)
__________________
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.