The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet Need help on your technology problems, whether your computer is malfunctioning, or you need help removing a virus? Perhaps you also want to chill and talk about the internet as a whole, too! Looks like you've come to the right place then!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 27th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Link
Rupee Moderator

Of course, it does depend on the kind of design you're doing. Illustrator is good for things like icons, logo design, vectors, and so on. Photoshop is better if you're working with the manipulation of photography, or creating effects with an image. This is more often seen in the music industry on album covers, flyers, and so on. I would put equal weight on both Photoshop and Illustrator, while I would usually use InDesign for finalization for print. The only reason these programs aren't all in one package is just due to Adobe seizing the chance to make more money, which is exactly why they created the Edge suite, which is rather "meh". As I say though, it really does depend on what you're doing as a designer. From experience of working in design firms, people tend to play to their strengths on clients. There were people more versed with Photoshop than others who were more comfortable with Illustrator, so we would swap projects, or collaborate, depending on the workload.

Ace is right though, you're best off focusing on Adobe, bothering with cheaper alternatives (unless you're going down the graphic art route, as opposed to design), is a deviation from industry standard, and bad practice really.

What twocows was saying about going with programs that you can manipulate yourself, which is what I think he's referring to? Has little to do with design. I'm someone who studies Programming as well as Design, but I wouldn't trade out any Adobe product for a program I can edit, because that wouldn't make my design approach any better. There's plenty of accessibility with Adobe products to improve your workflow, as well as plenty of documentation as well as ample plugins for an already extremely powerful suite of software. I've been using Adobe design products for near enough to 5 years now, I still have a lot to learn, and I've never been limited. Ever.
Old November 27th, 2013, 05:06 PM
twocows
Penguin
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post
What twocows was saying about going with programs that you can manipulate yourself, which is what I think he's referring to? Has little to do with design. I'm someone who studies Programming as well as Design, but I wouldn't trade out any Adobe product for a program I can edit, because that wouldn't make my design approach any better. There's plenty of accessibility with Adobe products to improve your workflow, as well as plenty of documentation as well as ample plugins for an already extremely powerful suite of software. I've been using Adobe design products for near enough to 5 years now, I still have a lot to learn, and I've never been limited. Ever.
That's one of the benefits, sure. There's also often a better feedback process for free software, and often times there are large communities built around popular free software (though this latter point is true of Adobe as well). Plus, trying out free libre software is usually also free gratis.

If you're happy with Adobe software, that's fine. My recommendation was more for people who are starting out; you might find something you like on the list I provided, and free software also has many of its own benefits.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old November 28th, 2013, 05:46 AM
MKGirlism
3DS and Wii U Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
Well, I just had to use my old Photoshop CS5 Disc on my Tablet, as Nintendo only provides Plugins for Photoshop (and Maya and 3DS Max too, but that's a different story).
For this, I had to re-install Windows 8.1 on it, as my old Windows installation got corrupted, and my Linux installation showed some random errors (have Internet, plug in Printer via USB, Internet gone, that kind of stuff).
Meanwhile, I noticed how MSPaint became inaccurate now (single colour is no longer single colour).
Old November 28th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Frokage
The legendary curse

It all depends on what you want to do, really.

As for myself, I use photoshop CS6 for most things. The layout is simple and easy enough to use after watching a tutorial on the basic use of tools. If you want to vector, then I recommend using Adobe Illustrator with a tablet. A bamboo pen and touch is relatively cheap and works wonders! Lightroom's probably the easiest if you want your pictures edited, and Sony Vegas Pro if you want to edit some videos. After Effects gets harder to work with, but once you get the hang of it, it's without a doubt the best overall tool to edit those specials in your videos and create you a nice intro. Last but not least, if you're looking for those 3D designs and shapes, Cinema 4D or C4D in short will most likely be your best call!

Also, a fellow designer friend uses this one program called SAI. I haven't used it myself, but the results he shows me are marvelous!

Looking for Pokébank legendaries! Hit me up!
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:19 AM
MKGirlism
3DS and Wii U Game Developer

Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
Sure, everything is simple after watching/reading Tutorials, Human Experience can do a lot of good to you, if you want to use it too.

For 3D, the best free tool is probably Blender.
For the Games Industry, Maya is the big standard, although 3D Studio Max can be found frequently too.

However, I won't recommend you Sketchup at all, its GUI is so unclear, you just will have problems using it.
At least, in my opinion, I hear many people saying Sketchup is the easiest one available.
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:38 PM
Thief Noctis
Thief of the Night

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKGirlism View Post
The GIMP only works good on Linux with the Gnome or Xfce Desktop Environment.
On KDE, Windows, and Mac, it either runs like ****, or doesn't run at all.
Disagreed. I have a Mac and GIMP works well on it, not to mention it's relatively simple when you get used to it. Naturally I didn't know what to do with it straight away but it's not hard to grasp (and this is coming from someone who had never used any kind of art/editing program before).

Regardless, I recommend GIMP or SAI. Both are good.

http://winternoctis.webs.com/ (XY Hatchery & Safari)

(^ drawn by Sonatron)
Name: Laura — Age: 17
FC: 0920-0357-3706 — Shoot me a PM if you add me.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links