Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 26th, 2013 (04:29 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote originally posted by Urban Dictionary:
1. guilty pleasure
Something that you love to do, but you just cannot admit that you do it.
What are currently some of your favorite guilty pleasures? What makes them a guilty pleasure to you?
Old November 26th, 2013 (09:10 PM).
Knor
King of Stronk Style

Glee.

I haven't told too many people that I watch the show, because I've received flack from the handful that I've told. That being said, I'm really liking this show. I got into it because my sister is a big fan, and has suggested it to me plenty of times. I gave it a chance, and I do not regret it. I'd even suggest it to any of you folks who maybe have toying with the idea of giving it a shot?
Old November 26th, 2013 (10:30 PM).
Flushed
Tomato Soup
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Not so much as of late, but I was an avid watcher of Pretty Little Liars. The cliffhangers kept me watching, and practically every episode felt like one, so you essentially had to keep watching. Not really sure why I haven't watched in a while to be honest, I kinda lose interest though when there's long periods between new episodes or seasons.
Old November 27th, 2013 (12:08 AM).
Starry Windy
Show Your Victory!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
Tokusatsu show like Power Rangers, Super Sentai and Kamen Rider.
Well, I like watching them when I was a kid, and still like it, but I'm unsure what will people think if I watch them even at this age.

PC | SPC | PC Battle Server | Gold | Hello World | My Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog
Old November 27th, 2013 (03:07 AM).
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

I'm a huge fan of "cute girls doing cute things" anime. I know I'm supporting further homogenization and giving an OK to pandering, but watching some YuruYuri or chuu2 always lightens my mood. I don't exactly try to deny it, but I'd definitely consider it a guilty pleasure.
Old November 27th, 2013 (12:06 PM).
Guy
just a guy

I don't really have any guilty pleasure books or music artists / songs, but there are some movies and television shows I can list!

My biggest guilty pleasure would be those Hallmark Christmas movies. I know they're incredibly cheesy and they all end the same way, but I just find them so endearing. I won't lie when I say that part of what gets me excited about the holiday season every year is getting to watch new Christmas movies on Hallmark. Of course, I tell no one of this secret.

Another guilty pleasure would be ABC Family's comedies Melissa & Joey and Baby Daddy. Again, cheesy with no shred of actual quality, but endearing to watch. I'll also add Disney's Good Luck Charlie to this list too. Although, I'd faster admit to watching Good Luck Charlie than Melissa & Joey or Baby Daddy. Which in retrospect, actually doesn't make sense.

Lifetime's new witch-y television series Witches of East End is a new found guilty pleasure of mine as well. I really love watching this one.

Quote originally posted by Flushed:
Not so much as of late, but I was an avid watcher of Pretty Little Liars. The cliffhangers kept me watching, and practically every episode felt like one, so you essentially had to keep watching. Not really sure why I haven't watched in a while to be honest, I kinda lose interest though when there's long periods between new episodes or seasons.
Pretty Little Liars and its spin-off Ravenswood are guilty pleasures of mine too. There have been times when I've gotten a bit embarrassed for myself by how much I get into what happens on PLL sometimes.
Old November 27th, 2013 (12:27 PM).
Reecho

Nature: Hardy
Shojo. And love comedies. I just get sucked into them. Currently I'm going through Kamisama Kiss.
Old November 28th, 2013 (03:47 PM).
derozio
in love with his smartphone lel
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Kill la Kill. My god, I can't watch the show without making sure that I'm alone. So many tits and ass shots in it. And also the manservice. Aikuro showing off his nipples every other episode. I mean, I can't even go to a cyber cafe and watch this show in case I somehow am not able to watch it on phone because I wouldn't wanna be seen watching it by anyone.

Either way, still one hell of a series.
Old November 28th, 2013 (04:39 PM).
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

Pop songs from East Asia and break-dancing...I suppose it's not that big of a deal but I don't think I could own up to it!
Old November 28th, 2013 (05:59 PM).
zakisrage
In the trunk on Highway 10

Nature: Impish
One guilty pleasure I have is dressing in a rather effeminate manner. I have long hair, so I end up looking like a girl. At least once I used temporary blond dye. Some of my friends said I looked scary, but my friend Ashley loved it. He said I looked like Gan-chan from Yatterman.

I also love watching paternity tests. This one 14-year-old ghetto trash girl Rayletha say she gonna name her baby Courvoisier, after a liquor (which she drank - no wonder why she was so crazy)!
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Old November 28th, 2013 (07:51 PM).
gimmepie
The Lightning Rod of Hate
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Slice of Life anime.
Biggest guilty pleasure ever, but I find them so much more entertaining than Western comedies these days.

Then again, I'm reluctant to admit my interests in anything pokemon, anime or RP related to anyone really haha.

Honestly, I don't really talk about any of my interests much. I don't care what people think of me, but I can't be bothered dealing with judgemental idiots.
Old November 29th, 2013 (08:52 PM).
Introvert
Banned

There's a lot of bad anime out there that I like throwing on from time to time. Naruto used to be one of my guilty pleasures but the writing and direction of the manga got so bad at that I had to tap out. Kishimoto really dropped the ball on what could have been a really good shounen.
Old November 29th, 2013 (10:00 PM).
White Raven
Working on The Mysterious Meteorite

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to White Raven
Quote originally posted by gimmepie:
Slice of Life anime.
Biggest guilty pleasure ever, but I find them so much more entertaining than Western comedies these days.

Then again, I'm reluctant to admit my interests in anything pokemon, anime or RP related to anyone really haha.

Honestly, I don't really talk about any of my interests much. I don't care what people think of me, but I can't be bothered dealing with judgemental idiots.
I like the way you think, both about other people and your choice of profile pic. Pokemon is sort of like a guilty pleasure to me too.
Old November 29th, 2013 (10:38 PM). Edited November 30th, 2013 by EB.
EB
Re: World
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Calm
While most of my friends know I'm an avid Pokémon player and SSBM competitor, I haven't told anyone offline about my fixation on anime dramas.
  • Clannad (AS)
  • 5 Centimeters per Second
  • Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
  • Toradora!
  • Guilty Crown
  • Another
  • Angel Beats

... just to name some off the top of my head. I do watch more mainstream anime as well -- ones like Attack on Titan or Samurai Champloo -- which I have no qualms with recommending and sharing with friends. But when it comes to series like the ones above, I often hesitate. Gender bias still runs rampant within the US and there's an overwhelming assumption that in order to "be a man" you aren't allowed to show sensitivity, or allow yourself to become emotionally committed to anything; a concept that's slowly been eating at me. I still love these series though~!
Old November 30th, 2013 (12:04 AM).
derozio
Community Supporter

^ haha, yeah, I can see where you're coming from. But I'm a lot more open when it comes to things like those. I admit that I cried loudly many times while watching clannad after story. Even the first season made me cry like a baby twice. Once during fuuko arc and later during the drama when nagisa's dad shows up. <3 and I have no problems admitting it to anyone. Hell, I can bet a few dollars that most people would cry if they saw it so it ain't like I'm just an emotional pussy. :p
Old November 30th, 2013 (09:35 AM).
antemortem
nothing but a teenage phase

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to antemortem
Quote originally posted by Knormageddon:
Glee.
No lie, this exactly. I started watching this and binged three seasons on Netflix and still haven't told anyone. I know all of my friends pretty much hate the show so I don't think I'll be letting it out lol. I think Skins is now a guilty pleasure of mine as well because I only know one person that likes it and I'm absolutely in love with it. Anime as a whole is as well, especially goofy or oddly-drawn/plotted anime like Kill la Kill. XD
Old November 30th, 2013 (09:23 PM).
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I guess I would just have to say watching anime and playing Pokemon in general. I could admit I play Zelda and Fire Emblem but Pokemon? If somebody asked me I would probably say I didn't, just to avoid their reaction. I also haven't told anyone that I watch anime in general, if my parents ask me what I'm watching I usually just say "a show you don't know" ;;

Old December 2nd, 2013 (09:29 AM).
derozio
Community Supporter

I proudly call myself an anime fan in front of my friends, watch it in front of my parents (used to. And not ecchi/hentai obvs), and call others ignorant ****s if they think watching anime is something shameful. I have friends who're like 'u watch this ****' and I'm like 'got a problem? I love it. Go mind your own business' :p
Old December 3rd, 2013 (07:45 PM).
pompayyy
Forever and Ever

Nature: Relaxed
Maybe the band The Monkees. I hate most pop, but for some reason I get addicted to these guys. They didn't write their own music and even the songs the song were not very good. But like most guilty pleasures, I can't explain why I like them so much.

Pink Moon is on its way.

Old December 4th, 2013 (11:45 PM).
Mara
All your base are belong to us

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Mara
I think mine would have to be the show Awkward. xD I've told basically no one that I watch it. Not many people i know like it. I really do enjoy watching the show, though.
Old December 5th, 2013 (03:58 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Quote originally posted by Mara:
I think mine would have to be the show Awkward. xD I've told basically no one that I watch it. Not many people i know like it. I really do enjoy watching the show, though.
Haha, might I ask why? I also watch it, but I have no shame in telling people that I do. It's a quality written teen dramedy that's genuinely hilarious (everything Glee should have been). It's third season has been hitting a lot of high notes and has been breaking down a lot of barriers compared to what most shows are willing to do or are afraid to do today. For being on MTV, it's a pretty genius show.

On a different note, I've rediscovered the guilty pleasures of my seventeen year old self and have been listening to a lot of music from Mirando Cosgrove and Emily Osment these past couple of days. Not that anyone apart from you guys will ever know this, but HALP.
Old December 6th, 2013 (06:47 AM).
Talli
Tsunderes forever

Nature: Naughty
my one is Dance moms only my daughter knows I watch it as I think other people may not get why I like it.
Old December 6th, 2013 (08:44 AM).
Recruit173
Kung Fu Random!

Adventure Time. Geez, I know it doesn't have a 5-star storyline or state-of-the-art characters or animation, but I always find myself watching it because of its simplicity and innocence, the same reason I enjoyed Totoro. It isn't something I could easily put into words, it is just great during afternoons when you're doing nothing else.

While not necessarily being a guilty pleasure, I also like watching those old, old, now-obscure anime on YouTube that nearly everyone has forgotten about, such as those old Studio Pierrot anime. You could quiz me on them and I'd answer them with complete accuracy.
Old December 12th, 2013 (11:08 PM).
Juno
UHC HYPE
Community Supporter

There's only one thing I don't openly admit to reading/watching - the Twilight series. Definitely a guilty pleasure. It's a love-hate thing, because while I'm reading the books or watching the movies, I can point out all its flaws, cringe and roll my eyes at the stupid, sappy parts, yet I still read the entire series and watched every movie.

I remember I used to strip the covers off before taking the books out in public, so I would just look like I was reading a big, black book. And I've never seen the movies in cinemas, always waited for the DVD release so I can watch it in the privacy of my own home.

TEAM MOOSHROOM
wobbu zeffy aiden
Old December 12th, 2013 (11:29 PM).
Captain Oshawott
The Otter Pirate

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Recruit173:
Adventure Time. Geez, I know it doesn't have a 5-star storyline or state-of-the-art characters or animation, but I always find myself watching it because of its simplicity and innocence, the same reason I enjoyed Totoro. It isn't something I could easily put into words, it is just great during afternoons when you're doing nothing else.

While not necessarily being a guilty pleasure, I also like watching those old, old, now-obscure anime on YouTube that nearly everyone has forgotten about, such as those old Studio Pierrot anime. You could quiz me on them and I'd answer them with complete accuracy.
That show is anything but innocent . The amount of innuendos is above the charts, and they talk about 'Mushroom Wars'. Essentially, the show takes place after a Nuclear war in a post-apocalyptic world.

As for my guilty pleasure, I am surrounded by anti-Pokemon folks. Me, I'm still a big Pokemon fanatic.

Thanks for reading the above post!
Big thanks to Maxresh for signature image
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links