Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 23rd, 2013 (08:34 AM).
King Koop

I got into Pokemon during the late 90's and I'm still unsure about exactly what types poison is strong or weak against. I guess we all have weird gaps in knowledge.
Old December 23rd, 2013 (08:42 PM).
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
Quote originally posted by King Koop:
I got into Pokemon during the late 90's and I'm still unsure about exactly what types poison is strong or weak against. I guess we all have weird gaps in knowledge.
Interesting point. I always thought Poison hits Water-types supereffectively when I first played Pokemon; and during a competitive battle I hit a Poison-type with Fairy-type move, thinking it would hit super-effectively, but instead resisting it. I must've confused it with the Psychic-type; I guess I have been fooled by the color similarity between the Fairy and Psychic-types.
Old December 23rd, 2013 (09:07 PM).
Luso1221

Nature: Timid
When I play competitively (e.g. Showdown/Pokemon Online) I always forget that Steel
no longer resist dark and ghost-type attacks.
Old December 23rd, 2013 (09:31 PM).
T The Manager
RealTalkRealFlow

Nature: Relaxed
When I was little I thought vitamins took immediate effect, but I was wrong lol. Didn't know about friendship evolutions so I always thought Eevee evolved into Espeon or Umbreon with Moon and Sun Stone. Yea I was a dumb kiddie.

My ReverbNation
Old December 23rd, 2013 (09:45 PM).
AKPorcupine
Yes, Follow the Light...

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Sour-D:
When I was little I thought vitamins took immediate effect, but I was wrong lol. Didn't know about friendship evolutions so I always thought Eevee evolved into Espeon or Umbreon with Moon and Sun Stone. Yea I was a dumb kiddie.
Sadly, my first Umbreon was in Y. Though it's one of my favorite Pokes. I never knew how to do the friendship thing in Gold, either =/
Old December 24th, 2013 (09:32 AM).
Nakasu
Key To The Truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
When I thought you need to level up Nosepass anywhere to evolve to Probopass, but you needed to lvl Nosepass up in the Chargestone Cave.

US 3DS Friend Code: 0318-9290-5472
Old December 25th, 2013 (10:38 PM).
DowntownDumpling

Nature: Quiet
I used to pronounce "Blaziken" with the "a" as in "cat" and "Rayquaza" with the second "a" as in "father". I'm not sure how you're supposed to articulate "Groudon" or "Kyogre", as I've never seen episodes of the show or movies concerning them and my friends all have their own pronunciations.

Also, am I the only one who's never said "Ratatat" instead of "Rattata"? :/

Quote originally posted by King Koop:
Yeah, I started with the games in the early 2000s and I still can never remember how Bug matches up with Fighting. I also used to think Fire was super-effective against Electric for some reason.

Quote originally posted by Boilurn:
Interesting point. I always thought Poison hits Water-types supereffectively when I first played Pokemon; and during a competitive battle I hit a Poison-type with Fairy-type move, thinking it would hit super-effectively, but instead resisting it. I must've confused it with the Psychic-type; I guess I have been fooled by the color similarity between the Fairy and Psychic-types.
I find Fairy's matchups to be pretty counterintuitive. (Of course, this makes some sense considering it's just a balancing, anti-game-breaking measure under a facade of logic.)
Old December 25th, 2013 (10:46 PM).
AKPorcupine
Yes, Follow the Light...

Quote originally posted by emberjed:
I used to pronounce "Blaziken" with the "a" as in "cat" and "Rayquaza" with the second "a" as in "father". I'm not sure how you're supposed to articulate "Groudon" or "Kyogre", as I've never seen episodes of the show or movies concerning them and my friends all have their own pronunciations.

Also, am I the only one who's never said "Ratatat" instead of "Rattata"? :/

O_o

I'm not sure how Rayquaza is supposed to be pronounced, but if it's anything other than (Ray-Kwaw-zuh) then it probably sounds stupid. That is the only way it can sound OK. It flows well. If it's (Ray-kway-zuh) that's just stupid.

And I HATE when people say Ratatat. IT'S NOT SPELLED THAT WAY AT ALL!
Old December 26th, 2013 (09:37 AM).
Zekrom

For the longest time, I thought Ice was supereffective against Bug, when its not. Doesn't make much sense to me. Bugs don't do so well in the cold...

And then I have this thing on how to pronounce Kyurem. I usually say "kai-u-rem", but the anime does it like "kee-u-rem". And I know that "ky" makes a "kee" sound (with Japanese stuff anyway). I'll read any other word or name like that; like Kyoko I'll prounounce "kee-yo-ko". Don't know whats up with me.

And I really don't like the way the anime says Rayquaza. I don't like there being a long a sound in the middle there...

My Trade Shop (currently open!)
Old December 26th, 2013 (11:33 AM). Edited December 26th, 2013 by Boilurn.
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
Another thought just came into my head. I thought that Battle items (such as the X Attack, Dire Hit etc.) would behave just like the other items and make a difference on the Pokemon that holds it. There was one situation in Pokemon White where I took my Thundurus down to the Battle Subway with him holding the X Sp. Def item, because I was expecting an Ice Beam from Simipour if it entered the battlefield, so that I could easily retaliate with Thunderbolt. When Simipour came he still managed to OHKO my Thundurus with Ice Beam and that was when I thought "These sorts of items don't seem to have any effect at all." It took me a very long time to realize that.

Disappointing though because these items would've been so valuable (or even make the item overpowered in comparison to the others) if they worked.
Old December 26th, 2013 (01:33 PM).
Turnip
Magnificent Turnip

Took me a little while for it to click that Psychic wasn't super-effective against Grass. I guess it's because I grew up with Fire Red, and there aren't many Grass types in that game that aren't Grass/Poison.

Old December 26th, 2013 (02:04 PM).
DowntownDumpling

I used to think HP Ups were like Potions, but only restored 1 HP. I figured they were Veblen goods among players of the games, like the expensive ribbons in Gen IV.

Quote originally posted by No Chance Without Zekrom:
For the longest time, I thought Ice was supereffective against Bug, when its not. Doesn't make much sense to me. Bugs don't do so well in the cold...
Compared to real insects, Bug-type is OP all around. Real bugs would be weak against Water, Electric, Poison, Ice, Dragon, and even Normal. (Let's face it: insects are the punching bags of the animal kingdom, along with fish.)

Quote:
And I really don't like the way the anime says Rayquaza. I don't like there being a long a sound in the middle there...
I refuse to say "Grau-don" or "Kai-oh-ger." It just sounds dumb.
Old December 27th, 2013 (04:59 AM).
27thColt
The Water Nerd Guy

Nature: Brave
I though Kyogre was Ki - yo - gree. I thought Bugsy was a girl. I thought Phanpy was Fan - fee. I thought Groudon was a fire type. I thought Mewthree exists.
Old December 27th, 2013 (06:48 AM).
Zekrom

Quote originally posted by 27thColt:
I though Kyogre was Ki - yo - gree. I thought Bugsy was a girl. I thought Phanpy was Fan - fee. I thought Groudon was a fire type. I thought Mewthree exists.
Wait, Phanpy isn't pronounced "fan-fee"? How the hell are you suppossed to pronounce it then?

Old December 27th, 2013 (07:10 AM).
Jasschan

I've misread so many pokemon names:
I thought Electabuzz was written "Electrabuzz", Regigigas was "Regigas" (Gas regi sounded better than gigas regi), Magmortar was "Magmotar", there's probably many more but I can't just remember them anymore.

And I always thought Pineco and Forretress (Which I thought was written "Forrtress" until just now..) were rock type pokemon. (Even nowadays I still think that water is super-effective on Forretress.)
Old December 27th, 2013 (12:26 PM).
Yumetaro
MAI RIBBONS

Nature: Calm
I thought Omanyte was pronounced "Oh-Man-e-tee", not "O-man-ite".

I thought the reason why sometimes you couldn't escape from Wild Pokemon is because of random chance, not because the speed of the Wild Pokemon was higher.
Old December 27th, 2013 (08:10 PM).
DowntownDumpling

Quote originally posted by Jasschan:
And I always thought Pineco
For some reason I always read its name as "pi-nuh-co" (to rhyme with "in a row").
Old December 27th, 2013 (09:22 PM).
GhastlyGastly
Crazy Pokémon Lady

Nature: Sassy
I originally pronounced Raikou as "Rye-cow"; then I started learning Japanese, and realized that the "ou" is pronounced as an "oh", not an "ow". But hey, at least I always pronounced the "rai" correctly, haha
Old December 28th, 2013 (09:29 AM).
Nordk
Chief Harpoonist

Nature: Calm
I pronunce Suicune as "Soo-seen", not sure why. I used to confuse Full Heal and Full Restore. Full Heal sounds like something that fixes everything, Full Restore sounds like something that should fix status effects, at least in my head.

This are serious forum.
Always be serious.
Old December 28th, 2013 (11:52 AM). Edited December 28th, 2013 by AKPorcupine.
AKPorcupine
Yes, Follow the Light...

Quote:
Wait, Phanpy isn't pronounced "fan-fee"? How the hell are you suppossed to pronounce it then?
"Fan-pee" Ele- "PHAN" And the "Py" is supposed to be like "Sweet pee" or something to the effect of it being small and baby-like.

Quote:
I originally pronounced Raikou as "Rye-cow"
I say it as "Rai-koo" the flow sounds better that way, to me.

And I say Suicune as "Si-skween". NO IDEA why. I think it's just because when I played Gold/Crystal, I glanced at the name, and derived my own pronunciation that sounded nice to me.
Old December 28th, 2013 (12:48 PM).
Zekrom

Quote originally posted by AKPorcupine:
"Fan-pee" Ele- "PHAN" And the "Py" is supposed to be like "Sweet pee" or something to the effect of it being small and baby-like.
Ah, ok. I'll stick to my incorrect version, though. Not likin' the way "fan-pee" sounds.

Old December 29th, 2013 (06:40 AM).
mason385

Nature: Jolly
I can't count the number of times i've said pokemon names wrong. And then I looked dumb when I watched the show and heard the real name -____-
Old December 29th, 2013 (04:48 PM).
Smurfman1

I thought it couldn’t get worse after the garbage pokemon. But meh, I was wrong.
Old December 29th, 2013 (11:35 PM).
Knor
King of Stronk Style

^ What a first post, haha. :] (Welcome!)

For myself, just a few of the pronunciations, really. I still don't know much about poison-type... I often forget about steel-type strengths/weaknesses, too.
Old December 29th, 2013 (11:40 PM).
Hikamaru
breezeblocks
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I once believed that Wurmple evolved into Silcoon or Cascoon based on time of day, but oh man was I wrong years later after playing Ruby and Sapphire that I discovered it was based on a hidden personality value.

Sponsored Links