The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old January 4th, 2014, 04:32 PM
TheShinyMew
Prepare to return!

Nature: Hardy
I am tried to repoint the type chart and when I test it and hit Umbreon with a Fairy-type move, it will not say "it's super-effective". Will I repoint wrong?

PLEASE SUPPORT ROLEPLAY!

My Nintendo 3DS Info
3DS Name: Sis
3DS Friend Code: 5112-3860-4328
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:36 PM
LCCoolJ95
Limited Capacity

Nature: Naive
I just tested this in Emerald. Here's the icons:

Image Data: DC4378 7843DC08
Palette Data: DC4338 3843DC08

To edit the pics, the location for the "wall of text" is here: 60F0D4

However, for Emerald, it looks more complicated.

Fairy-type in Pokémon Emerald: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...&postcount=288
Old January 19th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Abcdefgi

Ok so I took another shot at it and it worked :D, really when you learn the way of pointers and hex this becomes easy I even was able to change all the moves I wanted to fairy
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:35 AM
Germaniac
Victoria Concordia Crescit

Nature: Relaxed
Will the moves of the new type count as physical or special? Also NSE only supports FireRed, what should I do for Ruby?

Last edited by Germaniac; February 1st, 2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old February 1st, 2014, 08:10 PM
ShyRayq
Unprofessional Unprofessional

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germaniac View Post
Will the moves of the new type count as physical or special? Also NSE only supports FireRed, what should I do for Ruby?
For Ruby, look at Destinedjagold's tutorial. It's detailed and probably easier to understand
Live Pokedex Completed as of 02/03/14
Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X and Elements1

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
Old February 4th, 2014, 03:37 AM
Nurse Joy
Would you like to rest your Pokémon?

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyRayq View Post

Spoiler:
Save it somewhere, then edit.

Just do whatever you want. In this case, here's a fairy type icon thingy that is used in 11bayerf1's FR rom base. You can use it if you want, I think.

It is a bit bigger, but don't worry. So open up NSE 2.X again, and go to the image but this time, change the "height" to 18, or however tall your image is, divided by 8.
Now, click "File", "Import", "Import Sprite Data" or just press "Ctrl + I".
Press "Load Sprite", click your sprite now.

Change the drop box to "Image + Palette". Now import it.
I don't understand this..... How do I change the size of the image? I don't get it.................

Last edited by Nurse Joy; February 4th, 2014 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Forgot spoiler tags XD
Old February 4th, 2014, 12:08 PM
ShyRayq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efureie View Post
I don't understand this..... How do I change the size of the image? I don't get it.................
When you're opening the original type chart in NSE 2.x, you should see that there is a text box next to the word "height" that is 16. If your image is bigger, check the height of your image, it needs to be divisible by 8, if it isn't it screws up the entire thing. So take your height, divide it by 8 and replace the height value with that value.

Old February 18th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Circaoffire
Clueless Scripter :/

Hi, I am having difficulty with adding in a new type following Fairy. I am starting off of MrDollSteak's patch, so I already had the fairy part done. For the picture, I placed my Type Icon to the right of the Fairy Icon. I however did have to repoint and move the whole hex to free space elsewhere. I get this though,

I used AC for the coordinate, and my last two look like "20 0C A8 00 20 0C AC 00" I can't figure it out. I tried a few other options for Dragonite's second type. I used 18 like you said it should be, I tried 19 and others. I've tried other coordinates for the icon. And I just can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Old February 18th, 2014, 09:29 PM
ShyRayq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circaoffire View Post
Hi, I am having difficulty with adding in a new type following Fairy. I am starting off of MrDollSteak's patch, so I already had the fairy part done. For the picture, I placed my Type Icon to the right of the Fairy Icon. I however did have to repoint and move the whole hex to free space elsewhere. I get this though,

I used AC for the coordinate, and my last two look like "20 0C A8 00 20 0C AC 00" I can't figure it out. I tried a few other options for Dragonite's second type. I used 18 like you said it should be, I tried 19 and others. I've tried other coordinates for the icon. And I just can't figure it out. Any suggestions?
Okay, a problem. For your new type, you are using the 17 the entry when you should be using the 18th entry.
So, it should like this: 20 0C A8 00 24 0C 00 01 20 0C AC 00
The middle entry is just filler for the "Effect" icon which isn't really used.
If you do that, it SHOULD work.

Old February 18th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Circaoffire
Clueless Scripter :/

Quote:
Okay, a problem. For your new type, you are using the 17 the entry when you should be using the 18th entry.
So, it should like this: 20 0C A8 00 24 0C 00 01 20 0C AC 00
The middle entry is just filler for the "Effect" icon which isn't really used.
If you do that, it SHOULD work.
This did fix that white block, however my Dragonite now looks single typed. I double checked my sprite in NSE 2.1, and It is still inserted, and the blank type space to the right of Fairy does have my icon. Any suggestions now? Thanks for the filler help! And thanks in advanced!

Old February 18th, 2014, 10:58 PM
ShyRayq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circaoffire View Post
This did fix that white block, however my Dragonite now looks single typed. I double checked my sprite in NSE 2.1, and It is still inserted, and the blank type space to the right of Fairy does have my icon. Any suggestions now? Thanks for the filler help! And thanks in advanced!
You just have to check if you repointed everything. That's all I can say for now, unless I forgot something.

Old February 24th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Joltix
Don't Steal My Thunder

Nature: Quirky
Thanks for the tutorial, only got the one problem. I've managed to change the Pokemons type to fairy but I cannot figure out how to change the pokemons attacks to fairy type as is doesn't show up on any move editing tools I've got and they haven't got it in the ini's so I can't change to total number of move types.
Any know how to change it? Thanks.
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:54 PM
ShyRayq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joltix View Post
Thanks for the tutorial, only got the one problem. I've managed to change the Pokemons type to fairy but I cannot figure out how to change the pokemons attacks to fairy type as is doesn't show up on any move editing tools I've got and they haven't got it in the ini's so I can't change to total number of move types.
Any know how to change it? Thanks.
Hex editing is your best friend. Go to 0x250c04, the move data table , go to the move you want and then change the type to '18'. You can find out the structure of the move data on Bulbapedia. So just use those. No tool ATM can change move types to extended ones, so, all the moves you want to be the new type have to be hex edited.

Old February 26th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Joltix
Don't Steal My Thunder

Nature: Quirky
Thank you for your help.
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:20 AM
mancho87

I am having trouble importing the Image I created. I get an error message that says "the image loaded was not indexed or used an undefined alpha channel". I am pretty new to this and got no idea what I could be doing wrong. I edited the image in paint, and the size is 128 x 152.
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:29 PM
ShyRayq

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancho87 View Post
I am having trouble importing the Image I created. I get an error message that says "the image loaded was not indexed or used an undefined alpha channel". I am pretty new to this and got no idea what I could be doing wrong. I edited the image in paint, and the size is 128 x 152.
Just a quick note, did you change the height in NSE to 19? Because 152/8=19.

Anyway, other than that, you would just need to index it. There are tutorials out there on how to index things but a quick tut:

Need: Paint, Irfanview
1. Get image, open in Irfanview
2. Go to Image > Decrease Colour Depth > 16 Colours.
3. Then go to Image > Palette > Edit Palette, Swap the first colour with the background colour.
4. Save as a DIFFERENT IMAGE.
5. Take original image, copy, and paste over the decreased palette one.
BAM INDEXED.

Old March 12th, 2014, 11:12 PM
ArcTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCoolJ95 View Post
I just tested this in Emerald. Here's the icons:

Image Data: DC4378 7843DC08
Palette Data: DC4338 3843DC08

To edit the pics, the location for the "wall of text" is here: 60F0D4

However, for Emerald, it looks more complicated.
Extremely helpful, thank you. Lurker emerging, here, as he finally gets his first hack off the ground.

Emerald is indeed different. Enough that it took me a fair few hours in between House of Cards to hammer out the details. LCCoolJ95 here was kind enough to present the offsets for the Image and Palette data as well as the one for the image-to-chart matchup thingy (second part of Step 1). I found a couple more useful ones, though.

Effectiveness chart (Step 2): 31ace8

Types Name List (Step 3): 31ae38

The type matchup/effectiveness data is in a different order than FireRed's, though it still starts with Normal and ends with Dark. As for the type names, there's a fairly major difference - in FireRed, each type name ends with FF, allowing for some 00's in there for alignment.

Code:
. . . CC C9 BD C5 FF 00 00 BC CF C1 FF 00 00 00 C1 C2 C9 CD CE FF 00 CD . . .
In Emerald, each type name is capped by FF's - that is to say, it starts and ends with FF, and there are only 00's where there would be 2 or more in a row in Fire Red. Additionally, it'd seem the ending string is FF 00 FF 00.

Code:
. . . CC C9 BD C5 FF 00 FF BC CF C1 FF 00 00 FF C1 C2 C9 CD CE FF FF CD . . . BB CC C5 FF 00 FF 00
One more change that should be noted - in the default image we're working with here, the 5 misc tags are just a touch wider than they are in FireRed - they'll be listed with a width of 2A rather than 28.

So right now, as far as I know, I've got Fairy fully implemented into Emerald. The issue is actually testing/using it. Does anyone know of a way to get the Gen III Rom Hacking Suite to use Fairy as a type? I'd use YAPE, but I've done a little messing around with the Suite, laid groundwork for replacing the ?'s after Celebi with the evolutions introduced in 4th gen, and that's made YAPE crash when opening this particular rom. I could go back and do this from an earlier version, I suppose, but that'd be something of a pain.

I've set numberoftypes = 19 for Emerald in the PokeRoms.ini for the Suite and moved the pointer for the typenames, but it doesn't seem to have helped. It may just be my implementation of Fairy into the name table; I kind of just made something up.

Code:
FF BE BB CC C5 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF C0 D5 DD E6 ED FF 00 FF 00
Old March 13th, 2014, 02:46 AM
ShyRayq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcTruth View Post
Extremely helpful, thank you. Lurker emerging, here, as he finally gets his first hack off the ground.

Emerald is indeed different. Enough that it took me a fair few hours in between House of Cards to hammer out the details. LCCoolJ95 here was kind enough to present the offsets for the Image and Palette data as well as the one for the image-to-chart matchup thingy (second part of Step 1). I found a couple more useful ones, though.

Effectiveness chart (Step 2): 31ace8

Types Name List (Step 3): 31ae38

The type matchup/effectiveness data is in a different order than FireRed's, though it still starts with Normal and ends with Dark. As for the type names, there's a fairly major difference - in FireRed, each type name ends with FF, allowing for some 00's in there for alignment.

Code:
. . . CC C9 BD C5 FF 00 00 BC CF C1 FF 00 00 00 C1 C2 C9 CD CE FF 00 CD . . .
In Emerald, each type name is capped by FF's - that is to say, it starts and ends with FF, and there are only 00's where there would be 2 or more in a row in Fire Red. Additionally, it'd seem the ending string is FF 00 FF 00.

Code:
. . . CC C9 BD C5 FF 00 FF BC CF C1 FF 00 00 FF C1 C2 C9 CD CE FF FF CD . . . BB CC C5 FF 00 FF 00
One more change that should be noted - in the default image we're working with here, the 5 misc tags are just a touch wider than they are in FireRed - they'll be listed with a width of 2A rather than 28.

So right now, as far as I know, I've got Fairy fully implemented into Emerald. The issue is actually testing/using it. Does anyone know of a way to get the Gen III Rom Hacking Suite to use Fairy as a type? I'd use YAPE, but I've done a little messing around with the Suite, laid groundwork for replacing the ?'s after Celebi with the evolutions introduced in 4th gen, and that's made YAPE crash when opening this particular rom. I could go back and do this from an earlier version, I suppose, but that'd be something of a pain.

I've set numberoftypes = 19 for Emerald in the PokeRoms.ini for the Suite and moved the pointer for the typenames, but it doesn't seem to have helped. It may just be my implementation of Fairy into the name table; I kind of just made something up.

Code:
FF BE BB CC C5 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF C0 D5 DD E6 ED FF 00 FF 00
Seeing as the original is 18 and you added 4 extra slots. It should be 22 types. To account for the blank spaces.

Old March 13th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Ethanb900

does this work with unLZ.gba?
Old March 14th, 2014, 01:04 AM
ShyRayq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethanb900 View Post
does this work with unLZ.gba?
For Ruby, yes, as seen in DestinedJagold's tut. For Fire Red? I've looked through UnLZ and I can say that, no, you need NSE 2.X.
Though, I may be wrong, because there are a LOT of pics in UnLZ

Old March 15th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Ethanb900

Quote:
For Ruby, yes, as seen in DestinedJagold's tut. For Fire Red? I've looked through UnLZ and I can say that, no, you need NSE 2.X.
Though, I may be wrong, because there are a LOT of pics in UnLZ
I can say that I've searched through everything in the FireRed Rom and all that's in there is jumbled pixels and some sprites. Occasionally there is important stuff, like the copyright in the opening.

So now that we've sorta confirmed this, can I ask you to send me a link to a rom with this already done? My computer (Windows XP) doesn't support it. You can PM me if it works better than posting on here.
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:29 PM
ShyRayq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethanb900 View Post
I can say that I've searched through everything in the FireRed Rom and all that's in there is jumbled pixels and some sprites. Occasionally there is important stuff, like the copyright in the opening.

So now that we've sorta confirmed this, can I ask you to send me a link to a rom with this already done? My computer (Windows XP) doesn't support it. You can PM me if it works better than posting on here.
Sorry, FORUM RULES state no sending roms. However, you can use MrDollSteak's patch which already includes Fairy Type + Other cool stuff.

Old March 15th, 2014, 10:30 PM
ICEDJaguar

Don't think you mentioned this, and no one has asked so far.
After you finished your process, did you replace the old table with FF's to open
up some more space for other things later? Or did you leave as it was?
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:36 PM
ShyRayq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEDJaguar View Post
Don't think you mentioned this, and no one has asked so far.
After you finished your process, did you replace the old table with FF's to open
up some more space for other things later? Or did you leave as it was?
Well, I don't personally do it, but its just a matter of personal preference. You can if you want.

Old March 16th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Ethanb900

Quote:
Sorry, FORUM RULES state no sending roms. However, you can use MrDollSteak's patch which already includes Fairy Type + Other cool stuff.
Can you send me a link to the patch then? Or is that still against the rules? I can't find the thread.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links