Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page Will we ever see a return of the pokemon follow feature?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Old November 28th, 2013 (08:17 PM).
Just a bit of torment

Nature: Lonely
That was one of my favourite things about the Heart Gold & Soul Silver games, and I was really disappointed that this feature hasn't returned for any of the games in the series since. The overworld sprites for the Pokemon in X & Y were amazing. I think it's just a matter of Nintendo being willing to design an overworld sprite for every single Pokemon. Imagine running around Kalos with your Lucario or Greninja ect!

I know there's a small minority who didn't like this feature so perhaps an option to turn it off should be implemented to please everybody.
Old November 28th, 2013 (08:23 PM).
Hear Me Roar
Silver Tier

Nature: Bold
I'd love to see the feature return, I'm just highly doubtful that it ever will...
Old November 28th, 2013 (08:24 PM).
turn up the engine
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to s0nido
It was an interesting feature, and I think it would've looked gorgeous had it been implemented on the 3DS with the vastly improved graphics. They gave us Pokemon Amie in return, so it's not all that bad.
Old November 28th, 2013 (08:28 PM).
Just a bit of torment

I haven't touched Pokemon Amie and I doubt I ever will. It's really not my kind of thing. Then again most of my Pokemon aren't cute and cuddly.
Old November 28th, 2013 (08:33 PM).
& having to receive it
Battle Server
CS

I wouldn't mind if they brought back this feature. It was nice to have them following me around, and it was pretty cool to see all the reactions they made when you interacted with them. If they do reintroduce it at some point in the future, though, I'd like them to give us an option to turn the feature on and off, if possible. Also, I'm moving this topic over to Pokémon Gaming Central, if you don't mind; it's sort of related to all generations (and not just the sixth), so...

Moved.
Old November 28th, 2013 (08:53 PM).
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
maybe, maybe not, but surely not anytime soon if ever. But while i did like the feature, as Tonks said, I hope they'd give an option next time

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
Old November 28th, 2013 (10:28 PM).

Nature: Jolly
I dunno. I think it'd be awkward in the current gen with the 3D environments, especially considering the Pokemons' various sizes. Just imagine the walk cycles.

In a 2D game you only had to worry about two frames for walking so when you were running the frames just needed to be sped up. In a 3D game every Pokemon would need two walk cycles - walking and running - that exactly kept up with you. That means one stride for Marill would need to cover the same distance as one stride for Blaziken: it'd need to either move in unnaturally sped up small steps to match the longer stride of a bigger Pokemon or just be completely out of sync with how fast it was moving, which would look horrible.

I noticed the same problem in the 3D PMD when running around the town as certain Pokemon. Some of the animations just felt choppy.

I agree about missing my Pokemon following me around and with the direction the graphics have gone in I just don't think it's viable, not if you want the Pokemon to still look good. I'd rather they didn't follow me at all than follow me with choppy, awkward animations.
Old November 29th, 2013 (02:39 AM).

i think one of the guys at game freak said there was never gonna be a walking pokemon feature like in yellow & hg/ss ever again
Old November 29th, 2013 (02:48 AM).
"Whatcha doin'?"

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Gardevoir the Dragon Slayer
I would like it it but given the speed of the roller skates it my be tricky for pokemon to keep up

Profile ---------------------------MyAnimeList---------------------------Twitter
Old November 29th, 2013 (03:06 AM). Edited November 29th, 2013 by Introvert.
Just a bit of torment

Quote originally posted by Gardevoir the Dragon Slayer:
I would like it it but given the speed of the roller skates it my be tricky for pokemon to keep up
The pokemon could go back in their pokeball like they did in HG/SS while using the bike.

Quote originally posted by shadowmoon522:
i think one of the guys at game freak said there was never gonna be a walking pokemon feature like in yellow & hg/ss ever again
Who said it? And did they say why?

Quote originally posted by Cliffhanger:
I dunno. I think it'd be awkward in the current gen with the 3D environments, especially considering the Pokemons' various sizes. Just imagine the walk cycles.

In a 2D game you only had to worry about two frames for walking so when you were running the frames just needed to be sped up. In a 3D game every Pokemon would need two walk cycles - walking and running - that exactly kept up with you. That means one stride for Marill would need to cover the same distance as one stride for Blaziken: it'd need to either move in unnaturally sped up small steps to match the longer stride of a bigger Pokemon or just be completely out of sync with how fast it was moving, which would look horrible.

I noticed the same problem in the 3D PMD when running around the town as certain Pokemon. Some of the animations just felt choppy.

I agree about missing my Pokemon following me around and with the direction the graphics have gone in I just don't think it's viable, not if you want the Pokemon to still look good. I'd rather they didn't follow me at all than follow me with choppy, awkward animations.
What you said makes a lot of sense. I'm still hopeful Nintendo can find away to make it work though. If not for their next game at least somewhere down the line.
Old November 29th, 2013 (03:10 AM).
"Whatcha doin'?"

Quote originally posted by Elitist Four:
The pokemon could go back in their pokeball like they did in HG/SS while using the bike.
Yeah could do but that would make the feature pointless as the games set up for you use the roller skates as the default form of movement.

Profile ---------------------------MyAnimeList---------------------------Twitter
Old November 29th, 2013 (03:16 AM).
Just a bit of torment

I'm pretty sure walking is still default if you're using the directional buttons. I don't use the roller skates as much as I walk or run to be honest. I do like them a lot though. I'd gladly sacrifice skates for being able to have out Pokemon follow us around. I don't see why we couldn't have our cake and eat it too.
Old November 29th, 2013 (03:32 AM).
Battle Server
CS

Nature: Quiet
I really liked this feature! This is one of the reasons why HGSS has been one of my favourite games to date. It would be really awesome if GF could reintroduce this feature to future games or remakes such as the possible and highly favoured RSE remakes. Perhaps they could make the overworld Pokemon sprite do more than interacting with the player though. It would be something if one could, for instance, play some games with it or something, or perhaps with a semi-permanent Pickup-like feature.

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old November 29th, 2013 (03:42 AM).
"Whatcha doin'?"

Quote originally posted by Elitist Four:
I'm pretty sure walking is still default if you're using the directional buttons. I don't use the roller skates as much as I walk or run to be honest. I do like them a lot though. I'd gladly sacrifice skates for being able to have out Pokemon follow us around. I don't see why we couldn't have our cake and eat it too.
Yes your right I to use the circle pad as my "Default" means of control, but the D-pad is walking by default, maybe a future installment could have the roller blades and removable.

Even better would be if you could ride certain pokemon in your party at anytime (rather than the set ones in X and Y). Speeding around on Rapidash would be awesome.

Old November 29th, 2013 (07:19 AM).
You're Indestructible
Gold Tier

I really like this about hg/ss too. One of my favorite features of the game. It's so lonely walking around alone in Pokemon Black

I'm guessing it'd be a lot harder to implement with the 3D and all. But impossible? Certainly not. I really hope they bring this back in future games.

Paired to Hatsune Mika
Gold Supporter

Old November 30th, 2013 (05:29 PM).
i want the puppy

It was cute and I enjoyed it while it lasted, but to be honest I don't miss it much, and it would be very difficult to implement into the new styles of graphics and movements. The way I see it, it's something that makes HG/SS special. It gives me a reason to go back and play them again.
Old November 30th, 2013 (06:52 PM).
Best Pokémon Breeder NA 2015

Nature: Impish
I, personally, would love this feature, I loved it in yellow and was amazed when they brought it back in HGSS. That would make me buy a 3ds if i didn't have one
Type: Steel
PKMN: Ferroseed, Metang, Klefki

IGN: Ing
My Trade Reference Page!
My Osu! Profile! (3rd week playing, playing mania mostly)
My Crunchyroll!
MyAnimeList!
Old December 3rd, 2013 (07:16 PM).

It's not worth the trouble. It was a cool feature, sure, but spending the money to make overworld models for each and every Pokémon is better spent on other aspects of the game.

Pokémon Pearl (Ultimate Leader Challenge - Jasmine)
2/8 Badges
Old December 3rd, 2013 (08:43 PM).
All your base are belong to us

Send a message via Skype™ to Mara
I wasn't fond of it. We weren't given the option of whether or not we actually wanted them to follow. It was just automatic.
Old December 4th, 2013 (02:40 PM).
AaronAbsol

I really do like this feature. It wasn't all that big for me while playing the games, but the aesthetic was nice. Even though I do not have either of the games, I think it would have been cool to see in X and Y or any other 3D games to come. Even so, Cliffhanger makes a good point.
Old December 4th, 2013 (03:11 PM).
CS

I would definitely love to see a return of the follow feature in any future games.. I loved it in Generation IV by getting to interact with your Pokémon and picking up the occasional item as well, and I was really upset when that feature disappeared in Gen V.
Old December 4th, 2013 (03:27 PM).
CS

With the number of Pokemon there are now I would understand if they didn't want to bring it back, but I would love it if they did. It was one of those little things that helped you get immersed in the games, kind of like how in X & Y we can customize our trainers. Anything like that which gives you a little more control over what you're looking at as you play through the game is great because it helps break up the monotony.

I'm not gonna hold my breath for its return. I can just hope they give us something new and just as interesting.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 4th, 2013 (05:41 PM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
It was a really fun and neat feature, and certainly something I would love to see return. I don't expect it to come anytime soon, sadly, but it occurring for all Pokemon was a great surprise in HGSS.
Old December 4th, 2013 (06:35 PM).
Crystal Tier

I didn't really care about the feature so I don't mind if it doesn't return.

Old December 5th, 2013 (10:56 AM).
Prepare for trouble!

Nature: Gentle
It has been one of my favorite features in any of the games. I was pretty disappointed it wasn't in X and Y, but I didn't figure it would have been.

Maybe it will come back again! I hope so!

Sponsored Links