Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation
Reload this Page 3rd Generation: How'd you beat the Elite Four?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Old December 1st, 2013 (12:46 AM).
What am I to do?
Platinum Tier

This question comes up a lot in Generation III gaming, as the Hoenn League and the Kanto League are on the stronger side of Pokémon leagues compared to other championships like the Johto League and the Sinnoh League.

The question is, how'd you beat them? Don't forget to specify which game you're talking about.
Old December 1st, 2013 (05:59 AM).
I need no introduction.

Nature: Serious
In all honesty, I ended up having a team of zigzagoons with pickup, as well as one pokemon that I had in my team, trying to grind the pokemon's level to around 55, and any rare candies that I had, I split them equally between the pokemon that were currently in my team.
Old December 1st, 2013 (08:52 AM).
Kanto's Castaway

Nature: Careful
In fire-red i used all of the in game freebies (lapras, hitmonlee,that anoying magicarp) along with blastoise and two others. Im pretty shure i grinded for a week in victory road before sweeping it on my second try.

The first try shoulda been a win but future sight bit me :/

I will complete the National dex!
669/719
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old December 1st, 2013 (08:55 AM).
Pokkens

Nature: Modest
I used my starter Swampert the most, but I did have a pretty equal team. It was a while ago that I beat the game and all I can remember is that I used Swampert, Azumarill, Electrode and a few HM users.
MAL
RYM
Formerly "Someday"
Old December 1st, 2013 (01:23 PM).
Murderous Magikarp

Nature: Hasty
In Emerald, I went in at levels 41-44 (I hate grinding) and somehow emerged victorious. To be fair, I did use the Slaking Hyper Beam strategy though.
Old December 2nd, 2013 (12:58 AM).
& having to receive it

In my first run of Ruby, I put almost all my Pokémon into the PC and went solo with only my Blaziken, as it was the strongest at that time. It didn't work, though—I give it about six to seven tries, but still no luck. I was pretty close in my fifth try, but Drake's Salamance took me out instantly with Fly, which Blaziken was super-effective against. If Salamence hadn't used this move, then I definitely could have beaten him. I'm sure, ninety-nine percent. Anyway, so, after that, I decided to put a few Pokémon back into my team and buy some Full Restores, Max Potions, Burn Heals, Ice Heals, etc. With help from these Pokémon (as well as the items I purchased earlier), I finally managed to defeat the Elite Four. It took some time, but still got the job done. In Emerald, though, the Elite Four weren't very hard to beat, because this time around, I trained all my Pokémon evenly. Same goes for FireRed. d:
Old December 2nd, 2013 (02:14 AM).
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Hoenn is easy.

Sidney: Blaziken sweep.
Phoebe: Took a bit of maneuvering but generally Cacturne was a star.
Glacia: Blaziken and Manectric sweep.
Drake: Walrein says hi.
Steven: I've only ever battled Steven once. I remember Blaziken had a field day with his team.
Wallace: A bit difficult due to Milotic and Tentacruel, but mostly Cacturne and Manectric handled them just fine. Swellow killed Ludicolo.

Wallace wasn't a bad Champion, but I wish you could rebattle Steven in Emerald.

My team was especially crafted for Hoenn's Elite Four. Though, if I was playing seriously, Salamence would've replaced Swellow.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Old December 2nd, 2013 (02:22 AM).

sapphire version, defeated everyone of them with just a lone untrained kyoge with the moves thunder, ice beam, surf & waterfall. funny thing is that i had 5 lvl 65s in the waiting and i expected kyoge to die a lot sooner
Old December 2nd, 2013 (03:06 AM).
ふゆかい

Nature: Quiet
In Emerald, I've used Swampert and the rest of the team I have forgotten.
I almost died because Wallace used water types and I only have one Pokemon who
used grass type moves and almost faint all my Pokemons. Good thing I've still one.
Hate his Milotic, always use Toxic at my babies. Steven is not so tough on Ruby.
Old December 2nd, 2013 (10:32 AM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave
Hm... In my Ruby, I kinda ended up sweeping the Elite 4 with just my Swampert. Except for Glacia. She kinda gave me trouble, so when Glalie came out I ended up switching to my Camerupt. Worked out nicely! :> The Champion wasn't too hard, as again I did use Swampert to faint most of his Pokémon. I did swap out some of my Pokémon then and again though.
Old December 2nd, 2013 (02:46 PM).
Gym leader of São Paulo,brazi

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to KamikazeSSoH
having the O-P MOTHAFAKA Venusaur :D

@KamikazeSilver
My Two Favorite Pokémon.
Old December 2nd, 2013 (03:12 PM).
Adventurer

Nature: Modest
Hoenn : Rayquazza level 100... I RARELY use legendaries ( hell, ever since then I never have used one ) But for the sake of being young and feeling amazing because I caught it made me do it. I actually spammed it and used EXP Share on tons of my pokemon from it

Kanto: Honestly...I was just purely lucky... I got beaten so many times by the Elite Four x_x

Credit goes to PaperJoey
BW2 Champions

~CHECK MY MUSIC OUT~
Old December 2nd, 2013 (07:40 PM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Serious
In my last Emerald playthrough, Lv 70 Rayquaza and its Outrage bailed me from many sticky situations.
Old December 3rd, 2013 (04:01 AM).

How? Quite easily.

Leveled up my standard six team (of various types) instead of just using them as meatshields and having only one power house. Also stocked up on supplies (especially full revives) before going in. And occasionally taking along a low level pokemon to give it the boosts in exp so that it'll evolve.

Game Crystal. I would say ruby but I only played that once/twice?, and memory fails me if I beat it or not. (I think I did though)
Old December 3rd, 2013 (04:28 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Emerald was my first game and i really had no idea what i was doing.. i pretty much beat it with my overpowered Swampert who was the only pokemon i had trained throughout the game and Rayquaza.. however, it did take me countless attempts.. i remember beating Drake, the fourth dude, and throwing my gameboy across the room because i had no idea there was gonna be someone else after him, i mean they are called the Elite '4'.. such a naive child.. :p

3DS Friend Code: 0619-4568-7335

Friend Safari:

National Dex Completion: 51%

Shiny Pokemon:
Old December 3rd, 2013 (04:37 AM).

Quote originally posted by TheRestlessSoul:
Emerald was my first game and i really had no idea what i was doing.. i pretty much beat it with my overpowered Swampert who was the only pokemon i had trained throughout the game and Rayquaza.. however, it did take me countless attempts.. i remember beating Drake, the fourth dude, and throwing my gameboy across the room because i had no idea there was gonna be someone else after him, i mean they are called the Elite '4'.. such a naive child.. :p
Yeah I did something similar along those lines 'throwing the gameboy', I ended up breaking it. And that was the end of pokemon for me back in 2005 until now in 2013. Needless to say I've learned since then. That pc gaming is the way to go! Just look at all the mods for all the various games! I mean a bunch of Halo fans rebuilt Truth and Reconciliation from Halo 1 (least favorite stage btw) and made it into something far more beast than Halo 4 is or Halo 5 will be.

Back on tack though, it does show that you were a greenhorn at pokemon. Through yellow to emerald it was a sort of tradition to screw you over at the end. But I have no idea for anything after those games.
Old December 3rd, 2013 (05:04 PM).
Random Trainer

In LG I remember I bought at least 50 revives and saved right before I battled one. If I lost I would just turn it off and try again. It was my first time going through it and I was a sore loser and couldn't accept defeat. If I lost at any point in the game I would just try again even if I lost an hour's worth of time because I forgot to save. I know my starter was Blastoise but I completely forget what other pokemon I had.
Old December 3rd, 2013 (05:31 PM).

Quote originally posted by Feunard:
In LG I remember I bought at least 50 revives and saved right before I battled one. If I lost I would just turn it off and try again. It was my first time going through it and I was a sore loser and couldn't accept defeat. If I lost at any point in the game I would just try again even if I lost an hour's worth of time because I forgot to save. I know my starter was Blastoise but I completely forget what other pokemon I had.
Trust me I think we ALL save before we jump on the Elite Four Rageathon.
Old December 4th, 2013 (05:45 AM).

For kanto, you just need to use:

Psychic move (psychic)
Water move (surf)
Ice move (ice beam)
Fire move (flamethrower)

Surf you get for free
Psychic you get for free
Ice beam/flamethrower you can buy from celadon game corner

Train at victory road until you can 1 hit them all :D
Old December 5th, 2013 (06:43 PM).
All your base are belong to us

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Mara
I used Swampert in Emerald. And some other pokemon that I can't remember. But for the most part, my Swampert did all the work while the others were there in case it fainted. My Swampert was a really high level when I went there. :p So I guess that helped too.
Old December 5th, 2013 (06:51 PM).
there are no lovers, only destroyers

Nature: Quiet
In Sapphire, I really wanted to solo the E4 and Steven with my level 100 Linoone, but after about a dozen tries, I always lost to Steven. So I caught a Bagon, fully evolved it, and taught it Flamethrower. I still soloed the E4 with Linoone, but I brought Salamence along to help with Steven, and that worked.

Old December 5th, 2013 (07:17 PM).
KABOOM!

Nature: Jolly
My level 100 empolean (Legit) that got traded 4 times. (from my Diamond to my Pearl to Soulsilver to my black.)
Old December 5th, 2013 (08:16 PM).

The first time... A lot of grinding. And Rayquazza. Mainly Rayquazza.
Old December 6th, 2013 (11:21 PM).
Real Eyes

Usually, the best way to win is to use Super-Effective attacks. That was usually my strategy in Emerald and FireRed. In my latest run, however, things were a bit different.

In Emerald, I used mons that I never used before. I had Ninjask, Sceptile, Manectric, Crobat, Breloom, and Tentacruel. The strategy was Ninjask sets up Swords Dance and Speed Boost then Baton Passes to Crobat or Breloom, or in rare cases, Tentacruel (Sludge Bomb). Sceptile and Manectric were there as the Special Attackers.

Using this strategy, I beat the E4+1 easily. I only had 4 revives (forgot to stock up) during the E5, but I only had 1 faint from each battle. The fifth was irrelevant since it was from the last battle anyway.
Old December 15th, 2013 (11:14 AM).
شكرا
CS

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Honest
I picked out the Pokemon I was going to use for the whole game with the intention of beating the Elite Four in mind (Emerald). Breloom for Dark, Gardevoir for Ghost (CM/Psychic spam), Gardevoir for Ice (CM/Psychic/Thunderbolt spam) along with a Skarmory, all of my Pokemon for Dragon, since I forgot to pack an ice-mon. Then mainly Gardevoir for Wallace.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links