The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.


Advertise here

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old December 1st, 2013, 11:44 AM
Nolafus's Avatar
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm

Advertise here
Winter Writing Competition
Judged by Slayr231, Bobandbill, and Astinus

I think we've gone too long without some sort of big writing challenge, so here's one now! Ready to impress the judges and PC alike with your amazing writing abilities? Great! But here are a few things to keep in mind:
  • Each entry must be a short story somewhere between 1,000 - 2,000 words.
  • These stories do NOT have to be pokemon related. However, please keep in mind that the judges may not be familiar with any other fandoms. Original fictions are also accepted.
  • These stories have to be brand new. They must not have been written before, and not posted anywhere else until judging is over.
  • Only one story per member.
  • Please no chaptered fics.
  • All stories are due December 14th, in other words, two weeks from now.
  • All stories must relate back to the prompt in one way or another.
  • Please PM your story to each of the judges for judging. The judges are Slayr231, Bobandbill, and Astinus.
  • Please post a comment here saying that you have submitted your story so the judges know if we're missing somebody.
  • Don't publicly post your story until all judging is over. Once the competition ends and the results posted, you may (and encouraged to) post your story in the main forum with [WWC] added somewhere in the title.
  • Have fun (obviously)!
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Scoring

Each entry can have a maximum score of 30 per judge, with the points broken down into three categories equaling 10 points. Overall, the score will be out of 90. The categories are:

Spelling and Grammar
Characterization, Plot, and Description
Relevance to Prompt

There will be three different prompts since it has been brought to my attention that not everyone celebrates Christmas. Please choose one to write about. The different prompts are:
Christmas
Family
Loneliness


Prizes
Since this is probably the reason why all of you are here in the first place. Shiny, new emblems will be given out to the people that finish first, second, or third.
__________________
I'm not demoted, just on a DLoA!
PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231

Last edited by Nolafus; December 1st, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2    
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM
Incinermyn's Avatar
Incinermyn
SQUEAKY SQUEAK! <3 <3 <3
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Would a horror story be disallowed so long as it takes place on "Christmas?" I have a terrifying tale I've been wanting to write using one of my Fakemon and it's well suited for a "Christmas" tale since it's part Ice-type.
__________________
"Only in our darkest memories do we find truth..."
The Crusade of Dark Nostalgia
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:30 PM
Nolafus's Avatar
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incinermyn View Post
Would a horror story be disallowed so long as it takes place on "Christmas?" I have a terrifying tale I've been wanting to write using one of my Fakemon and it's well suited for a "Christmas" tale since it's part Ice-type.
If it has something to do with Christmas, it's allowed. Just be careful about the "relevance to prompt" category.
__________________
I'm not demoted, just on a DLoA!
PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:39 PM
Incinermyn's Avatar
Incinermyn
SQUEAKY SQUEAK! <3 <3 <3
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
It'll be relevant. I just don't like writing kindly fiction only because it's Christmastime.
__________________
"Only in our darkest memories do we find truth..."
The Crusade of Dark Nostalgia
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:55 PM
Phantom's Avatar
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Now, how close to Christmas are we allowing? I mean. I could in theory post a story with a similar theme to Christmas, or maybe an abstract idea or Christmas, or even what Christmas means to the writer?

Another thing... not everyone celebrates Christmas... or winter holidays, for example, I don't. And the chances of me writing a fiction about Christmas are pretty low. I'm all up for a winter writing competition, but does it HAVE to be Christmas? I'm not Christian, and there are a good number of people on the site that aren't. Seems sort of bias.

Also another thing I find quite frustrating about the prompt is that not only do not all the writer's here celebrate Christmas, but a lot of FANDOMS don't. Like, I write a lot for Elder Scrolls, there's not Christmas in Tamriel. I write a lot for Dragon Age, there's no Christmas in Dragon Age (There's Satinalia, but that's different). I write for Mass Effect, which might have Christmas, except there are lots of aliens in game, also not Christian. Last time I checked there wasn't really Christmas even in Pokémon, not really. I write for A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) also no Christmas. You see the problem here? So either I'm forced to not write a fanfiction or hunt for one that falls into the parameters of celebrating Christmas, or I have to write an original work. Either way it's forcing a bit.
__________________

Last edited by Phantom; December 1st, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:25 PM
Nolafus's Avatar
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX0990
Now, how close to Christmas are we allowing? I mean. I could in theory post a story with a similar theme to Christmas, or maybe an abstract idea or Christmas, or even what Christmas means to the writer?
All that stuff would work. Really, just as long as it has something to do with Christmas. I'm not looking for a bunch of different stories about a warm and fuzzy holiday season where a family gets together. I'm also looking to see where people take it. It could be about Christmas, the lack of Christmas, introducing Christmas into a fandom and seeing how different characters will react to it. There's a bunch of different things to write about, it's just a matter of how the writers word it that will determine a lot of my relevance to prompt score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX0990
Another thing... not everyone celebrates Christmas... or winter holidays, for example, I don't. And the chances of me writing a fiction about Christmas are pretty low. I'm all up for a winter writing competition, but does it HAVE to be Christmas? I'm not Christian, and there are a good number of people on the site that aren't. Seems sort of bias.
First of all, I know a lot of atheists that still celebrate Christmas, but that's a debate that should take place elsewhere. The reason I chose Christmas as a prompt wasn't because I thought everyone celebrated it, the reason I chose it was because I wanted to see where people would take it. If a change of prompt is going to happen, it's going to have to happen soon. I'm scratching my brain for other ideas right now, because I feel that you do bring up a fair point. I don't want winter as a prompt because that's a little too general and not really much of a challenge. If you have an idea, let me know and I'll decide whether or not to change it. I also don't want to upset Incinermyn since it sounds like he already has his story planned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX0990
Also another thing I find quite frustrating about the prompt is that not only do not all the writer's here celebrate Christmas, but a lot of FANDOMS don't. Like, I write a lot for Elder Scrolls, there's not Christmas in Tamriel. I write a lot for Dragon Age, there's no Christmas in Dragon Age (There's Satinalia, but that's different). I write for Mass Effect, which might have Christmas, except there are lots of aliens in game, also not Christian. Last time I checked there wasn't really Christmas even in Pokémon, not really. I write for A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) also no Christmas. You see the problem here? So either I'm forced to not write a fanfiction or hunt for one that falls into the parameters of celebrating Christmas, or I have to write an original work. Either way it's forcing a bit.
I feel like the point of writing challenges is to get people out of their comfort zones. If the prompt was something that accommodated everyone, then it wouldn't be much of a writing challenge. Some people are going to have an easier time with the prompt than others.
__________________
I'm not demoted, just on a DLoA!
PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:48 PM
Phantom's Avatar
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayr231 View Post
All that stuff would work. Really, just as long as it has something to do with Christmas. I'm not looking for a bunch of different stories about a warm and fuzzy holiday season where a family gets together. I'm also looking to see where people take it. It could be about Christmas, the lack of Christmas, introducing Christmas into a fandom and seeing how different characters will react to it. There's a bunch of different things to write about, it's just a matter of how the writers word it that will determine a lot of my relevance to prompt score.
Okay, I get that. I mean I figured as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayr231 View Post
First of all, I know a lot of atheists that still celebrate Christmas, but that's a debate that should take place elsewhere. The reason I chose Christmas as a prompt wasn't because I thought everyone celebrated it, the reason I chose it was because I wanted to see where people would take it. If a change of prompt is going to happen, it's going to have to happen soon. I'm scratching my brain for other ideas right now, because I feel that you do bring up a fair point. I don't want winter as a prompt because that's a little too general and not really much of a challenge. If you have an idea, let me know and I'll decide whether or not to change it. I also don't want to upset Incinermyn since it sounds like he already has his story planned out.
How'd 'ya know I was atheist?

Anyways, what about other religions that don't celebrate Christmas? I know a few that don't even celebrate winter holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayr231 View Post
I feel like the point of writing challenges is to get people out of their comfort zones. If the prompt was something that accommodated everyone, then it wouldn't be much of a writing challenge. Some people are going to have an easier time with the prompt than others.
Getting people out of their comfort zones is one thing, helping them as a writer and whatnot.

But holding a competition whilst doing so is putting those that do have particular issues with it at a distinct and unfair disadvantage.

Note, I'm not ragey or anything, just pointing things out.

Last edited by Phantom; December 1st, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:54 PM
Nolafus's Avatar
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX0990
How'd 'ya know I was atheist?

Anyways, what about other religions that don't celebrate Christmas?
I just realized how closed-minded my answer sounded like. You do have a very good reason here to change the prompt, but I don't know what I would change it to. If you have a prompt that you feel would be more accessible to more people, but still provides a bit of a challenge, then say so and I'll switch it out. Within reason of course.
__________________
I'm not demoted, just on a DLoA!
PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:59 PM
Phantom's Avatar
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Hmm. What about instead of having one prompt, having multiple? Maybe like three, that writers can choose from. That leaves Christmas still on the list - so those that have ideas don't lose them - but gives those who aren't that into the holidays/whatever alternative options?

Winter in general might not be a bad idea, I mean I can think of some things.
__________________

Last edited by Phantom; December 1st, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10    
Old December 1st, 2013, 10:11 PM
Nolafus's Avatar
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
Hmm. What about instead of having one prompt, having multiple? Maybe like three, that writers can choose from. That leaves Christmas still on the list - so those that have ideas don't lose them - but gives those who aren't that into the holidays/whatever alternative options?

Winter in general might not be a bad idea, I mean I can think of some things.
Yeah, but winter doesn't really provide a challenge and in my opinion it's a little too broad. I mean, you could select that as your category and it would be extremely simple to write something about it. I do want to challenge writers, even if it's a little bit.

I added two new prompts that I feel are still a challenge, and still relate to the holidays in one way or another.
__________________
I'm not demoted, just on a DLoA!
PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Reply With Quote
  #11    
Old December 2nd, 2013, 05:05 PM
Vociferocity's Avatar
Vociferocity
[ bad girls do it well ]
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Vociferocity
are we allowed to enter even if it's not winter where we are? ;)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12    
Old December 2nd, 2013, 05:53 PM
Nolafus's Avatar
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vociferocity View Post
are we allowed to enter even if it's not winter where we are?
I keep forgetting that below the equator it's just getting to summer. In that case, please hold off you writing for six months, then we should be good.

I'm kidding of course. It's getting to Christmas, so at least that's still relevant. Just pretend it's getting colder. Turn on the AC or smother yourself in ice cubes. Either way, you're writing will be accepted.
__________________
I'm not demoted, just on a DLoA!
PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Reply With Quote
  #13    
Old December 2nd, 2013, 06:33 PM
TurtleKing's Avatar
TurtleKing
Turtles > You
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Gender:
Won't be participating this time around due to final exams (blah), but I want to wish all you guys that are participating the best of luck!
__________________

Elite Academy - A Pokemon Academy fan-fiction by TurtleKing
Volume One | Volume Two
Reply With Quote
  #14    
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:53 PM
Chocolate™'s Avatar
Chocolate™
Awesome Dragon
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PC.
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Would it be okay, if I made a story under all three of these prompts.

If so here's a mock story:

Prompt: Loneliness.
Rating: R

The Lonely Waffle

There was once a lonely waffle.

Astinus: <sniffs> You're a superb writer.

bobanbill: Best story ever.

Slayr231: The deep psychological impact that story has on you is mind blowing.

Rukario: Here, i make you the owner of PC.

TD: Woohoo!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15    
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:58 PM
Nolafus's Avatar
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Would it be okay, if I made a story under all three of these prompts.

If so here's a mock story:

Prompt: Loneliness.
Rating: R

The Lonely Waffle

There was once a lonely waffle.

Astinus: <sniffs> You're a superb writer.

bobanbill: Best story ever.

Slayr231: The deep psychological impact that story has on you is mind blowing.

Rukario: Here, i make you the owner of PC.

TD: Woohoo!
You might not win PC, but you did make me laugh harder than I have for a while. XD

Each story has to be under one prompt. Can themes from all three be in there? Yes, but you must decide on one prompt for the judges to base the scores off of.
__________________
I'm not demoted, just on a DLoA!
PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Reply With Quote
  #16    
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:56 PM
txteclipse's Avatar
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
I've got two things to mention. The first is that you could change "Christmas" to "holidays". Even though I celebrate it, I recognize that Christmas is somewhat exclusive.

The second is that Christmas is very, very canon. On that note, for many people, the winter go-to holiday is Christmas, whether they're specifically religious or not. Plenty of atheists celebrate Christmas in a non-religious way, for instance. As an entrant, everyone is going to have to keep that in mind. While there's nothing wrong with using another holiday (indeed, this may make for a unique story), you run the risk of your readers not having enough familiarity with your choice, which will ultimately make it harder for them to connect. Just something to ponder.
__________________


Last edited by txteclipse; December 3rd, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17    
Old December 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM
Nolafus's Avatar
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
I've got two things to mention. The first is that you could change "Christmas" to "holidays". Even though I celebrate it, I recognize that Christmas is somewhat exclusive.

The second is that Christmas is very, very canon. On that note, for many people, the winter go-to holiday is Christmas, whether they're specifically religious or not. Plenty of atheists celebrate Christmas in a non-religious way, for instance. As an entrant, everyone is going to have to keep that in mind. While there's nothing wrong with using another holiday (indeed, this may make for a unique story), you run the risk of your readers not having enough familiarity with your choice, which will ultimately make it harder for them to connect. Just something to ponder.
That's what the other two prompts are there for. If someone doesn't want to write about Christmas, then they can choose from one of the other prompts.

As far as relevance to the prompt, I'm pretty open-minded about that. Each one of the judges have read a lot of stories, and have a pretty good understanding of the multiple viewpoints on Christmas. There's hundreds of different viewpoints on Chrisstmas and how it can be interpreted, and to be honest, I'm looking for some of those different viewpoints.

I'm keeping Christmas there because there are two other prompts that can be easily brought back to just about any holiday really.
__________________
I'm not demoted, just on a DLoA!
PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Reply With Quote
  #18    
Old December 4th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Chocolate™'s Avatar
Chocolate™
Awesome Dragon
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PC.
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Would it be fine to post a story around 3000 words. I think that's the minimum word count my story will have.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19    
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Nolafus's Avatar
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Would it be fine to post a story around 3000 words. I think that's the minimum word count my story will have.
Nope, I have to enforce the word count with this one. It's part of the challenge after all. It's all about being precise with your word choice and really making every word count.
__________________
I'm not demoted, just on a DLoA!
PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Reply With Quote
  #20    
Old December 5th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Incinermyn's Avatar
Incinermyn
SQUEAKY SQUEAK! <3 <3 <3
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayr231 View Post
Nope, I have to enforce the word count with this one. It's part of the challenge after all. It's all about being precise with your word choice and really making every word count.
How strict are you going to be about it? I can write within a 1000-2000 word limit, but I'm afraid of your counting method. It doesn't include the title (and, when applicable, sub-titles), does it? That, in and of itself, would be dumb since titles aren't part of the actual story's content. Otherwise, is there like a degree of lenience (like if your a few words over or short of the limit)?
__________________
"Only in our darkest memories do we find truth..."
The Crusade of Dark Nostalgia
Reply With Quote
  #21    
Old December 5th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Nolafus's Avatar
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incinermyn View Post
How strict are you going to be about it? I can write within a 1000-2000 word limit, but I'm afraid of your counting method. It doesn't include the title (and, when applicable, sub-titles), does it? That, in and of itself, would be dumb since titles aren't part of the actual story's content. Otherwise, is there like a degree of lenience (like if your a few words over or short of the limit)?
I'm not going to be overly strict about it, but I can't speak about the other judges. I doubt they're going to be mean about it, but if you don't follow the word count, then a few points might be deducted depending on the severity. When counting the word count, I only count the story itself. Titles, authors notes, and subtitles do not count.
__________________
I'm not demoted, just on a DLoA!
PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Reply With Quote
  #22    
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 27
Gender: Male
To answer for myself: I don't care about the word count. The only thing that's important is that your story is as long or as short as it needs to be. If that means that you're over 2000 or under 1000, I don't care. Just worry more about telling a decent story to impress me.
Reply With Quote
  #23    
Old December 5th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Vociferocity's Avatar
Vociferocity
[ bad girls do it well ]
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Vociferocity
if you guys (judges) decide to be strict about the word count, could you maybe link to the word count program/site you're going to use to check our fics? not everything returns the same result.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24    
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Phantom's Avatar
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Gah, anything I write will be way over 2k, so I think I'm out for this one folks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25    
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Nolafus's Avatar
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lost in thought... again
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vociferocity View Post
if you guys (judges) decide to be strict about the word count, could you maybe link to the word count program/site you're going to use to check our fics? not everything returns the same result.
I'm just going to copy&paste everything into microsoft word. I don't really care about the word count either. I only put it there so that we don't receive novels as entries. Although I will dock a couple points if it goes way over.
__________________
I'm not demoted, just on a DLoA!
PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.