The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:56 PM
GeraldTheTheroiest
Pokemon Theroiest

With Fairy types being added in gen 6 would you guys like to see more types added? Since Generation 1 only 3 new types have been introduced (Dark and steel in 2, and Fairy in 6)I myself would like to see plasma types added(weird but ya know)
Old December 1st, 2013, 02:21 PM
Kippla
★ Pokemon Master ★

Nature: Calm
Maybe, it depends. I don't really think they need more types because at this point, every type is balanced out with weaknesses and strengths. They'd need a lot more types to balance it out again with new types, and even then it would probably screw a lot of people up. But like I said, it depends. Are new types needed?
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:10 PM
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

I think we've got enough new types, it'd just be cooler to see some more interesting dual-typings. Imagine opposite types being stuck together (Fire/Water, Grass/Fire, Dark/Fairy, etc.)? That would be really cool!

I think the only dual-type I never want to see again is Fire/Fighting...how they got away with THREE starters like that I'll never know!
Old December 1st, 2013, 04:09 PM
*Riolu Master*
The Aura Within

Nature: Jolly
Yeah I agree. There is no need for another type in Pokemon. Like Kippla said, there would be a lot more types to balance it out. If there are more types that means there would be fewer pokemon for each type.

Old December 1st, 2013, 06:23 PM
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Given they only added in Fairy type primarily to balance the system again, I think that's be the same grounds for a new typing (and let's not forget there are other ways to balance the typing system besides adding in a new typing).
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old December 1st, 2013, 07:42 PM
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I believe that more new typings will be introduced eventually, but given that we just had a new typing in over 10 years, I doubt we'll have anything in the future. Of course my guess is as good as any others'.
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:47 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

If they do decide to create a new type at some point in the future, I'd really like it to be alien. Alien-type could be given to all Pokémon who are considered to be from outer-space, such as Dialga, Palkia, Clefairy, Deoxys, Solrock, Lunatone, Jirachi, Mew (possibly), and so on. It would be pretty cool to see plastic-type, too, and maybe even sound.
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:12 PM
White Raven
Working on The Mysterious Meteorite

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to White Raven
Light. That's the only one I want. Fairy is more for mythical Pokemon. (Lightbulb Pokemon anyone?)
Old December 1st, 2013, 10:53 PM
Chocolate™
Awesome Dragon

Nature: Adamant
I don't really think we need another type. If there was one more type then the competitive world and the pokemon world would be thrown completely off balance. So no new types for Kanea.
Old December 1st, 2013, 11:51 PM
Randall Raichu
Shocking....Isn't It?

Nature: Quirky
I'd say no. I think the fairy addition is a good addition and long overdue, but I don't see the need for any other additions.

Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:29 AM
Brendino
Oh good grief.

Nature: Quiet
I think I'm perfectly fine with the amount of types that we have and their balance, so I don't think we'd need any more types in the future. And we've still got a good chunk of dual-type possibilities that haven't even been touched yet, so I'd like to see them exhaust those before adding a new type again.

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:40 AM
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...

I think I'm good with the new types. I don't want to see anymore for a long time. Like Brendino, I would like to see them exhaust a lot of other type combinations first. Like more grass types, because you can never have enough grass types.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:14 AM
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendino View Post
I think I'm perfectly fine with the amount of types that we have and their balance, so I don't think we'd need any more types in the future. And we've still got a good chunk of dual-type possibilities that haven't even been touched yet, so I'd like to see them exhaust those before adding a new type again.
Brendan basically nailed this one, the current number of types are enough for now because not only did it balance out Dragon-types, but Poison as well because they finally have a new advantage. I don't think they should add a new type unless if something has to get balanced, what I want to see in the future is more new type combinations because there's several that are still unused right now.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:30 AM
briahnanicole

I would love to see more types !!!
Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Esper

I don't see new types coming out unless they remake the entire way the system works. I think we'll see triple types before we see a new type, if we see either. It might seem like they've opened the door, but to me it seems more like there is even less need to add new types now, like they wedged open a small space and shoved a new type into it.

deviantart blog pair
Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Orpheus
Fml

NO, Definitely not. They MIGHT add a new type but I really hope they don't add a new type. I'm happy with what they have now and I don't want any more.

Pair

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old December 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
EB
Re: World
Community Supporter Tier 5

I came into this thread content with the robust chart we have already, but the more I think about it, the more eager I become to see a whole slew of new types. This may just be my childlike eagerness talking... although when was it that humans managed to classify all forms of life into 18 distinct phyla?

I feel it'd seem more realistic if they added more types and would also give more creative opportunities to the art/game designers. However, even if they did add new types, there'd be many commercial drawbacks. Even if the designers were unanimously open to big change, their buyers won't be.

Back down to earth I come. ;o
Old December 2nd, 2013, 03:04 PM
Sabrewulf238

Maybe one or two more. Any more types than 20 would be overkill I think. We probably won't see another type until at least the 10th gen though. Gamefreak needs to be careful about what they introduce and when they introduce it because we're rapidly nearing the point where the amount of types could become unnecessarily overwhelming.

20 sounds like a wonderfully round number to me.

It would be interesting if we got a Tech or Artificial type that covers man made pokemon like Porygon. Now that we're moving towards a time when cars will drive themselves and delivery drones will fly through the sky delivering packages (Amazon prime air....look it up) it would be interesting to see similar developments in the pokemon world.

They built porygon and its evolutions and then called it a day? Where's the ambition in that?

Last edited by Sabrewulf238; December 2nd, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
Nauje
A sofa in San Tropez...
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Like others have already said, GameFreak only introduces new types to balance out any OPness occurring, and so really unless they have a change of heart or we see some kind of unfair balance I don't see them placing anymore types actually.
Old December 5th, 2013, 02:33 AM
TheRestlessSoul

Nature: Relaxed
I would actually like to see a few more in the future, like in distant generations, however i doubt game freak will go down that route.. but you never know
Also, like others have stated, more interesting dual types would be better i think, than new types

3DS Friend Code: 0619-4568-7335

Friend Safari:

National Dex Completion: 51%

Shiny Pokemon:
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Mara
All your base are belong to us

Nature: Rash
No. We don't need anymore new types after the fairy. They need to use more dualtypes before anything else. There's so much they can do. Especially with this new type. I really want to see a fairy/dragon type :p
Old December 8th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Chrysanthia

I don't generally support the idea of new types but for a long time I've been wondering why there isn't a Wind type and why moves like Gust and Hurricane are 'Flying' type even though they would be better suited to a hypothetical Wind type·· Ground and Rock are separate types, Water and Ice are separate types, so why no Wind type? Pokémon like Tornadus (both forms), Rotom-S and Whimsicott for example could be Wind type and I'm sure there are others that could fit, though specific examples are difficult to come up with, possibly because GF didn't think about a Wind type separate from Flying type..
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Arrow
I'd like to be a tree :3

I seriously doubt GF will introduce another type. The only reason Fairy is here is so that Dragon-types will be less overpowered, while giving Poison and Steel a bit more. The whole system is balanced now, so there probably won't be any new types, unless a type somehow goes overpowered again. Dark and Steel were introduced to balance out Psychic (well, it's Dark who's the relevant one), Fairy was made for Dragon.

However, I would love to see some more creativity with the types. If they were to introduce a new type, I would love a Galaxy-type. I think it sounds so cool and mysterious. And think of the type combinations! Galaxy and Dragon! I would ask that Pokemon to train ME.

Friend Safari: Grass - Tangela, Sawsbuck, Quilladin
Shinies: Luvdisc (X), Clawitzer (X), Poliwhirl (X), Foongus (X), Dialga (X), Palkia(X), Giratina (X), Sneasel (X), Mawile (X), Lillipup (X), Cyndaquil (SS)

Old December 13th, 2013, 11:44 AM
SnailCandy
Bass Dropper

Nature: Lonely
I don't want new types, but as many people have said, I WOULD like to see new type combinations that haven't been done yet. Lord knows that there are plenty of them.

"It takes someone strong to stand up for themselves, yet someone stronger to stand up for others" ~Unknown
Old December 13th, 2013, 01:58 PM
fenyx4
X does Y WITH AUTHORITY!

Nature: Timid
The Fairy type, while...surprising (It was rumored/constantly suggested on 'type' wishlists for the longest of times, although I didn't think we actually needed it and that it would actually become real!) is now OK with me (I'd argue that it didn't re-type enough Pokemon - mainly for design/aesthetic purposes rather than balancing purposes), and I like how some of its type match-ups (mainly "Fairy vs Dragon" and "Fairy vs Steel) reference some tidbits of Fairy lore...

The only type I would like to see (and that makes sense to me) is Light, maybe Crystal (and that's mostly because of Crystal-style Jutsu that I read about on the Naruto wiki), more in an elemental sense (like how Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh! "utilize" it, I guess). The Dark type has shifted from solely "underhanded tactics" to including actual "darkness" element manifestations (Dark Pulse says hi!), overlapping with the Ghost type and the "Shadow" type). The only thing I'm torn about is which moves and/or Pokemon should be re-typed (for instance, Luster Purge, Doom Desire/Flash Cannon, and Solar Beam, all of which add type variety with their respective Psychic, Steel, and Grass typings, mention and/or utilize "light" in some way). Light would also have to be made somewhat distinct from the Fire and Electric types (both of which also produce "Light").

While ice contains crystalline structures, I feel like "crystal" could easily be differentiated from "ice", since there are crystals that are nothing like water/ice...

Lava as an element makes sense, although you can easily fix that with dual-typed Fire/Ground, Fire/Rock, or even Fire/Steel moves in future generations, so I don't think it needs a whole type assigned to/dedicated to it. Maybe Magcargo could benefit if it were Lava (Fire+Rock)/something else, though..

Anything else like Sound (I like the mechanic of sound-based moves, just not the concept of a Sound type), Plasma, Space, Cyber, or anything else along those lines just sounds too forced for my tastes. And at this point, I think we have most of the "type/element/unique animal classification" bases covered..

The Shadow-type mechanic (roughly super-effective against EVERYTHING that's "non-Shadow" ) introduced in Pokemon Colosseum has potential if it were used sparingly in the handheld main series games (where, on occasion, you would need to face and/or purify some "Shadow" Pokemon), and it also allowed better manifestations of "elemental Darkness" than the "Dark" (English) type does. It works nicely as a "type mechanic", although I don't think it needs to be a full-fledged type itself (although you really could consider it an "18th type" in Colosseum due to type matchups, I perceive "Shadow" as a type mechanic since you can outright lose the classification/condition with purification).

I personally consider the ???-type as an actual (albeit unused and un-assigned) type (all types are hit for regular 1x damage, and the ???-type lacks any weaknesses, resistances, or immunities); the one Pokemon I think that is deserving of such a type (if used in mainstream Pokemon gameplay) is Missingno., being the lovable-yet-scary, quirky glitch "Pokemon" that it is.. <3
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links