The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 4th, 2013 (11:02 AM).
Mr. Avocado
Shall We Begin?
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
As you can tell by the title, were talking about underrated and unknown games! Well, when I say 'unknown', I mean games that aren't very known. Which games do you think are underrated and deserve more credit? Are there any particular games which you think deserve to be more known and deserve more popularity?

Discuss.
Old December 4th, 2013 (11:28 AM).
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
I always thought Legend of Mana <-Click

and Front Mission 3 <-click

For the PlayStation were pretty underrated titles. Both those games and Fade to Black <- Click

Also for PlayStation
Old December 4th, 2013 (11:32 AM).
Lord Scalgon
What title?

Nature: Brave
Send a message via AIM to Lord Scalgon
Any shmup game that involves serious bullet hell. Sure, it has a wide recognition of "hardest video game bosses ever", but even then, many people never bothered playing those games. I think by now, some of them should have much easier difficulties, but then again, I could be wrong...

YouTube (mostly uploads of bullet hell shmups) || Extreme Perplexity - Dodging Hell (demo game created by me)
[may need voice actors for my puzzle game...VM me if interested]
Old December 4th, 2013 (11:38 AM).
«Chuckles»
I'm a self aware man, I'm also borderline narcissistic

Nature: Brave
I agree the mana series in general is underrated and the fact that its a spinoff series from final fantasy doesn't seem to make it super popular. Final fantasy adventure were the first two mana games before being renewed as an original IP.

Ys, this series is very underrated. The combat is different to your normal RPGs but it works very well. The art is great and so is the voice acting. The storylines are great and Adol is a perfect hero.

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old December 4th, 2013 (11:41 AM).
Orpheus
[Insert pun that nobody gets]

Nature: Calm
I played a game called Ascension. It was a game on win 95/98. I have NEVER found it on the Internet.

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old December 4th, 2013 (11:53 AM).
Juno

I already mentioned it in another thread, but I think Siren: Blood Curse isn't very well known or mentioned much. It's not really underrated though, gets pretty decent ratings.
Old December 4th, 2013 (12:30 PM).
isthatyoudan
doesn't work well with others...

Nature: Quirky
Banjo Kazooie! Ermagherd they need to make another one to revitalize the series! Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie were true epicness in N64, but it's kinda faded out now. Nuts and Bolts for Xbox, just no.
I want to start the conversation for Banjo Kazooie Wii or 3DS! I don't know how popular it was when it came out, but it sure isn't getting enough attention now! BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!
RETRO GAMES FOREVER!

I'm Reading...
Just finished a volume of Soul Eater, volume 14. At this point, it has become very different compared to the anime, and I kind of like it. Some of the characters have gotten a lot more fleshed out (specifically the meister team of Ox, Kilik, and Kim), and things are happening quite differently. An exciting read.

I'm Playing...
The iPod music game, Cytus. While I may not know very many of the songs, I really like its music, and the gameplay is easy to pick up yet takes quite a while to master. A friend has seen me play it and he says I make it look easy, but I am still having a fun and challenging time. Definitely worth the price.
Old December 4th, 2013 (01:05 PM).
Spinosaurus

Have you played any of these games?

No, of course you didn't. You just found out about them.
But now you should.

EDIT: Oh yeah this game as well, of course
Old December 4th, 2013 (01:22 PM).
T!M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Have you played any of these games?

No, of course you didn't. You just found out about them.
But now you should.

EDIT: Oh yeah this game as well, of course
It's kind of rude to assume people haven't played a game. This thread is opinionated. Chances are people haven't played those games, but outright saying we haven't, is really arrogant. Just saying /:
Old December 4th, 2013 (01:35 PM). Edited December 4th, 2013 by Spinosaurus.
Spinosaurus

Why does it matter if you played or haven't played the games anyway? How is it even rude to say you haven't played a game that sold like crap and is relatively unknown? If you're taking offense to that, then holy **** man...Never mind that I wasn't entirely serious. Wasn't that obvious? It is a thread about "unknown" games after all.

...I will be genuinely surprised if anyone here actually knew about Guru Logi Champ, though.
Old December 4th, 2013 (02:09 PM). Edited December 4th, 2013 by T!M.
T!M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Why does it matter if you played or haven't played the games anyway? How is it even rude to say you haven't played a game that sold like crap and is relatively unknown? If you're taking offense to that, then holy **** man...Never mind that I wasn't entirely serious. Wasn't that obvious? It is a thread about "unknown" games after all.

...I will be genuinely surprised if anyone here actually knew about Guru Logi Champ, though.
It's rude that you said: "Have you heard of this game, nope". And I agree that a majority of us, including myself haven't played it, read above, but saying it the way you did was plain rude. It was would of been better and less rude if you had simply listed the games and why you believe they're unknown instead of assuming because you know about them, it was unknown. Serious or not it was rude and unnecessary.

Beeteedubbs, no need to swear.

Edit

It's not right to Vaas to flood the thread with bickering, so I'm ending this here.
Old December 4th, 2013 (02:16 PM).
isthatyoudan

Uhhh... I can tell that there's an argument going on... let me just say...
I haven't played Little king's story or Zack and Wiki, but I think that I have heard of them somewhere.

Just to add, you may not have ever heard of "Monster Tale". It's for DS. Doesn't seem incredibly popular. DEFINATELY WORTH YOUR TIME. It's a bit repetitive, but the story and gameplay is really interesting at times.

I'm Reading...
Just finished a volume of Soul Eater, volume 14. At this point, it has become very different compared to the anime, and I kind of like it. Some of the characters have gotten a lot more fleshed out (specifically the meister team of Ox, Kilik, and Kim), and things are happening quite differently. An exciting read.

I'm Playing...
The iPod music game, Cytus. While I may not know very many of the songs, I really like its music, and the gameplay is easy to pick up yet takes quite a while to master. A friend has seen me play it and he says I make it look easy, but I am still having a fun and challenging time. Definitely worth the price.
Old December 4th, 2013 (02:31 PM). Edited December 4th, 2013 by Spinosaurus.
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by T!M View Post
It's rude that you said: "Have you heard of this game, nope". And I agree that a majority of us, including myself haven't played it, read above, but saying it the way you did was plain rude. It was would of been better and less rude if you had simply listed the games and why you believe they're unknown instead of assuming because you know about them, it was unknown. Serious or not it was rude and unnecessary.
You have not explained why it is rude and why you even care. Why would anyone even care? How did I insult ANYONE with that post? Normally someone who hasn't played those games would either not care about that post or actually get interested in the games, and anyone who did play them would probably reply, probably agreeing or something. Last thing I expected was someone finding that offensive.

It is just like complaining about how wrong they are/how its just opinions/etc when someone calls a game the best game ever but didn't add that little "IMO" there. Which is childish.

No seriously, why is that rude? You didn't explain. You're just being a stuck up for such a little thing that was not even meant to be rude, and then backing out with that edit? Jesus christ, man, why even make that post? You just derailed the topic.

And you haven't even PLAYED the games, why the hell do you even care? No where did I imply superiority over playing obscure games (I added that "you should" there for a reason, because I WANT more people to know about them) in a thread about obscure game. They're just games, for god's sake. UNKNOWN games.
Old December 4th, 2013 (02:36 PM).
isthatyoudan

C'mon, you two, you're getting off topic! This thread is for talking about video games, not fighting! Just forgetaboutit! It'll be better tomorrow!

I'll add another forgotten game... hm...A boy and his blob?

I'm Reading...

I'm Playing...
Old December 4th, 2013 (03:34 PM).
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

Rayman: Legends is quite underrated, in my opinion. It's a great game and has got stunning graphics, but not many people seem to play it. Rayman: Origins has to be a bit underrated as well.
Old December 4th, 2013 (03:48 PM).
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphadora View Post
Rayman: Legends is quite underrated, in my opinion. It's a great game and has got stunning graphics, but not many people seem to play it. Rayman: Origins has to be a bit underrated as well.
Sales wise they unfortunately are. It's still surprising to me we even got Legends since Origins bombed HARD. (Ubisoft did say it ended up being a good long term seller, I suppose.)

Commercially, they're very universally praised, to the point they're widely considered the best 2D platformers today. Not that I agree (DKCR and NSMBU exist), but you get the idea. Far from underrated in that sense...well as much as I love both of them, I'd say they're more overrated than anything.
Old December 4th, 2013 (03:59 PM).
Ozymandias
we're just two lost souls
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ozymandias
@spinosaurus lol stop being a dick he said he wanted to end it just leave it at that

Anyways, arguing aside I think that Dante's Inferno is pretty underrated. I personally liked the game while most people just called it a GoW clone and tossed it aside. The story was pretty cool and it being based off the Poem is awesome.
Old December 4th, 2013 (04:02 PM).
Bartholomew
Snug Rungs

Zack & Wiki was a pretty popular, critically acclaimed game. I never owned a Wii and even I played it.

Some of my favorite lesser-known games:
  • Clash at Demonhead (NES) (Made somewhat more popular by Scott Pilgrim.)
  • Kid Niki (NES)
  • Pocket Fighter (PSX) (They NEED to return to this concept. Funnest fighting game.)
  • Machine Hunter (PSX)
  • XIII (PC, consoles) (Shame that it was never continued; it's a fantastic game.)
  • Commander Blood (PC)
  • Snatcher (MSX, Sega CD, etc.) (Popular, but not popular enough)

I'm sure I'll think of a lot more in the future.
Old December 4th, 2013 (04:07 PM).
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
@spinosaurus lol stop being a dick he said he wanted to end it just leave it at that
He publicly called me out for something so small and after starting that he immediately backed out of it. Sorry, but I'm not leaving it at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew View Post
Zack & Wiki was a pretty popular, critically acclaimed game. I never owned a Wii and even I played it.
You'd still be hard pressed to find someone who played it. Regardless, as critically acclaimed as it was it still sold terribly, despite some wishes for a sequel.

I'm not going to deny its popularity near launch (after all it was in the middle of a controversy) but you have to admit it was quickly forgotten after that.

Thanks for not telling me I was rude or calling me a dick, though. I actually appreciate it. :/
Old December 4th, 2013 (04:09 PM).
Bartholomew
Snug Rungs

I guess I stopped paying attention after playing it. I wasn't into Nintendo at the time, so I didn't have many conversations about Nintendo games.
Old December 4th, 2013 (04:50 PM).
Dragon
ロイヤル ファミリー

Nature: Modest
Let's chill out, gang. D:
Anywho, Mana Khermia is an underrated game, I think. Granted, it's pretty old now, as it's a PS2 game and you don't see many people talking about it anymore, but, in my opinion, it's really up there in the RPG games!
Old December 4th, 2013 (07:12 PM).
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

ITT: such rage

Anyway, heres my pick:

This game is amazing, deserved way more recognition in the West. The third game not being translated is what actually made me start learning Japanese.
Old December 4th, 2013 (10:21 PM).
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Playing that game these days though is too freaking hard with the solar panel on it and what not.

Anyway, Summoner. Launch PS2 game, nothing special. Textures are of middling quality, the pop-up will drive you insane, however looking past its technical failures, the game is freaking amazing. That's right, AMAZING. Its a WRPG with FF12s battle system before FF12, the music is addictive, the story actually makes sense, lots of lore to find just exploring(much like elder scrolls) and you have to grind to get anywhere. But its an amazing grind, cause equipment shows on your character model, and if you leave things in autopilot you rarely die.
Old December 5th, 2013 (10:07 AM).
Poki
idgaf no jutsu

Nature: Calm
Serious Sam isn't well known, so I'm just gonna say that it's an awesome game, and you should give it a go, if you haven't already.

Old December 5th, 2013 (10:39 AM).
Beyond Infinity
Couldn't Outfox a Donkey

Nature: Jolly
INTERNET FIGHT.

I always used to play Pharoah as a child. I think it's a fairly unknown game, but it got one bit of DLC. Everyone played Caesar I think which was roughly the same game.

Other than that, maybe Trickstyle for the Dreamcast?

Sponsored Links