Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 5th, 2013 (11:33 AM).
Spinosaurus

Quote originally posted by LoudSilence:
ITT: such rage
Quote originally posted by Beyond Infinity:
INTERNET FIGHT.
You know, making drive through comments like these over something that's already as good as done is pretty disrespectful to both me and T!M, and doesn't make you any better. No need to bring it up again, especially when it's been said to drop it.

And I don't really see it as a "fight" or something worth getting angry about (I have an aggressive tone during arguments, however small, but I mean no illness towards anyone. Notice how I haven't insulted the other party?), but people here are ridiculously soft so whatever.
Quote originally posted by southpark32:
Serious Sam isn't well known, so I'm just gonna say that it's an awesome game, and you should give it a go, if you haven't already.
Didn't it win several awards (the first game anyway)? Far from unknown if you ask me!
Old December 5th, 2013 (01:04 PM).
Penta Penguin
The biggest underdog in the world

Nature: Relaxed
There's a few games that I do see as being underrated, and it's going quite a while back: High Seas Havoc, this game you could say, was like a sonic clone, but I think what made this underrated was the fact it was too hard. Another game was Bomberman Fantasy Race, which had an interesting way of racing in the game, yet the game was only rated something like 38%.

Next project: Pokemon Dark Nebula?

~Youtube~
Old December 6th, 2013 (06:56 PM).
SomariFeyWright
Seven years is all it takes...

Send a message via Skype™ to SomariFeyWright
Klonoa. OH MY LORD, KLONOA.

While with the more recent games, the cabbit is more like a clothed Sonic character, the original main series Klonoa games were deep and powerful. The games have a great and loveable adorable little protagonist named Klonoa, in a fantasy-like world. It looks all cutesy and sweet, but then CEREBUS SYNDROME EVERYWHERE. Every significant moment in the plot is powerful and meaningful, and every character is made excellently. The gameplay itself is incredible, the controls being absolutely perfect for a platformer. And, good god, it let you TAKE ADVANTAGE OF RESPAWNING ENEMIES. You actually NEEDED enemies in order to complete the game: A concept few games have truly ever utilized.

If you play no other game in the franchise, play the original Door to Phantomile, or at least the cheap-but-not-as-cute-or-good wiimake, just titled Klonoa. And I DARE you not to cry at the ending.

It's a franchise that has been going under since it began, possibly to die, which is a real shame, because the Klonoa games are some of the best platformers out there. And it's clear Namco was desperate to make the little guy popular, what with all the changes, gradually more light-hearted tone, clear inspirations from the Sonic games, and a significant lack of cutesiness over time.

This series NEEDS a chance. T_T

Signature made by Pandaprinzessin of Court Records.
Old December 6th, 2013 (07:11 PM).
pompayyy
Forever and Ever

I say Sam & Max Hit The Road is an often overlooked game. If you're into point n' clicks and you haven't played it yet, I'd at least check it out.

Also Terranigma is pretty unknown and it is breathtakingly amazing. I strongly urge you to get it if you're into SNES RPG's.

Pink Moon is on its way.

Old December 7th, 2013 (03:48 AM).
Spinosaurus

Quote originally posted by SomariFeyWright:
And, good god, it let you TAKE ADVANTAGE OF RESPAWNING ENEMIES. You actually NEEDED enemies in order to complete the game: A concept few games have truly ever utilized.
Oh? The only other series I know that does that (and it does it PERFECTLY) is the Wario Land series. Now I'm interested because that's one of my favorite aspects about the Wario games.
Old December 7th, 2013 (07:57 PM).
SomariFeyWright

Quote originally posted by Spinosaurus:
Oh? The only other series I know that does that (and it does it PERFECTLY) is the Wario Land series. Now I'm interested because that's one of my favorite aspects about the Wario games.
Not only does the series do it, and do it perfectly, but it's enemies are an absolute necessity in every stage of the game at some point(s) or another. Double jumping and gaining lots of air, destroying obstacles, and one enemy even allows you to briefly fly when you grab it.

Also, for anyone reading, one thing I forgot to mention about the Klonoa games is that they were truly one of the first games to utilize the concept of 2.5D, essentially meaning that it used two-dimensional gameplay mechanics on beautifully designed three-dimensional backgrounds and environments. You could throw into and toward the screen, you could ride on a minecart straight-forward rather than to the left, and other things I'm too lazy to remember.

It was one of the first games to use this now-regular mechanic and gets no credit for it. Shameful.

Old December 7th, 2013 (09:33 PM).
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

You know, making drive through comments like these over something that's already as good as done is pretty disrespectful to both me and T!M
but people here are ridiculously soft so whatever.
lol, uh.

It's just funny man, relax. No harm intended.

Quote originally posted by ZangFloyd:
Also Terranigma is pretty unknown and it is breathtakingly amazing. I strongly urge you to get it if you're into SNES RPG's.
Right on! Not a single one of my friends have even heard of Terranigma -- before the internet, I used to be sad thinking there was no one to talk about it with haha. Game is seriously underrated.
Old December 7th, 2013 (11:28 PM).
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Quote:
Have you played any of these games?
Actually, I know of Little King's Story, and have it to boot. =p

Anyone have Solatorobo: Red the Hunter for the DS? It's not widely available but I picked it up for very cheap yesterday by chance. I heard a lot of good things about it too, so when I get around to it I will hopefully enjoy it.
Newest article: Gym Reviews: Hoenn!
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old December 8th, 2013 (12:34 AM). Edited December 8th, 2013 by DavidtheDeadPhilosopher.
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Aura Blackquill:
Let's chill out, gang. D:
Anywho, Mana Khermia is an underrated game, I think. Granted, it's pretty old now, as it's a PS2 game and you don't see many people talking about it anymore, but, in my opinion, it's really up there in the RPG games!

I was going to say Mana Khemia as well, that is seriously one amazing RPG. I think it's sister series Atelier Iris, is also really good, but I haven’t played the latter for far to long, so my judgement maybe slightly screwed.

I think it's been mentioned on this board before, but Donkey Kong (not country) for the Gameboy is a so underrated it's really a crime. That's another game where sometimes enemies are essential to continuing on in the game. One of the coolest puzzle performers out there, you know, before puzzle performers were cool.

I should also say that several rythem games ususally end up getting kinda sidelined. Granted it's kinda a niche genre, and with a fair amount of people who's experience in the genre began and ended with either DDR or Guitar Hero/Rock Band, or other very similar peripheral driven rhythm titles, others tended to get overlooked simply because they lack fancy ways to play them. Games like Elite Beat Agents, Rhythm Thief, Space Channel 5, Harmoknight and arguably Rhythm Heaven are all games that don't really get alot of attention. Even some spinoffs like ThreatRhythm Final Fantasy, could have gained more of a following then I feel they did.

Also I think Feel The Magic is extremely underrated. It's maybe one of Sega's best titles on the DS, It's kinda sorta the only mini game driven date simulator I've ever played. Also it's just got addictive music and wonderfully colourful characters and boss fights.
Old December 8th, 2013 (03:47 AM).
Spinosaurus

Quote originally posted by SomariFeyWright:
Not only does the series do it, and do it perfectly, but it's enemies are an absolute necessity in every stage of the game at some point(s) or another. Double jumping and gaining lots of air, destroying obstacles, and one enemy even allows you to briefly fly when you grab it.

Also, for anyone reading, one thing I forgot to mention about the Klonoa games is that they were truly one of the first games to utilize the concept of 2.5D, essentially meaning that it used two-dimensional gameplay mechanics on beautifully designed three-dimensional backgrounds and environments. You could throw into and toward the screen, you could ride on a minecart straight-forward rather than to the left, and other things I'm too lazy to remember.

It was one of the first games to use this now-regular mechanic and gets no credit for it. Shameful.
You're making me feel bad for not playing this despite being a big platformer fan. I'll get on to it.

Should I start with the PS1 game (is it on PS store? I might play it on my Vita) or the Wii game?
Quote originally posted by LoudSilence:
lol, uh.
What was wrong with what I said?
Quote originally posted by bobandbill:
Actually, I know of Little King's Story, and have it to boot. =p
You're a good man!
Old December 8th, 2013 (06:01 AM).
Poki
Breathe in.

Nature: Naughty
Didn't it win several awards (the first game anyway)? Far from unknown if you ask me!
It might have been popular in the day, but whenever I talk with someone about it, nobody seems to remember it. Especially where I come from. So yes, that's why I decided to add it here.
Old December 8th, 2013 (03:42 PM).
SomariFeyWright

You're making me feel bad for not playing this despite being a big platformer fan. I'll get on to it.

Should I start with the PS1 game (is it on PS store? I might play it on my Vita) or the Wii game?
The Wii game is a maybe. It's cheap as all hell, but it takes away a lot of the cuteness and charm the original had.

While getting it on the actual PS1 would be nice... it ain't cheap. It sells for a pretty penny, on the off-chance you can find it at all. Fortunately, it DOES have a version of itself in the PSstore. Was worth six bucks last I checked. More than affordable.

Unfortunately, the main series sequel, Lunatena's Veil, is not available on PSstore, but it's a PS2 game, and I'm pretty sure it's significantly cheaper. Haven't played it yet, but from what I've gathered, it's also worth the buy.

Old December 9th, 2013 (10:18 PM).
Arc
plain is still better
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful

Knights in the Nightmare! A bullet-hell tactical RPG game, if that makes any sense. A fairly innovative and hectic game if I say so myself. I rarely hear anyone talk about this game or it's brother games of the Dept. Heaven series.

#TeamWither
Arc

"There's a reason why we're the boss..."

apocalypseArisen
arachnidsGrip
Senusret
Old December 9th, 2013 (10:29 PM).
Bidoof Overlord
All hail Raticate

Nature: Serious
Well, I've played some underrated games.
Avalon Code in DS
Sword of Mana in GBA
Shining Soul 1 and 2 in GBA
Mother 1, 2 & 3 in GBA

Come at me bro.
Old December 9th, 2013 (10:33 PM).
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Quote:
Mother 1, 2 & 3 in GBA
Can't say I heard of those games being underrated, but I've played some of those and they're pretty darn enjoyable, especially Mother 3.
Newest article: Gym Reviews: Hoenn!
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old December 11th, 2013 (07:33 PM).
Terff
the unimportant

Nature: Quirky
Dwarf Fortress, could be easily one of my all time favorite games. The content is incredible the features are astounding everything is just great. Sure it is incredibly hard to learn and its lack of graphics make for increased difficulty, but still it's content makes up for that because its so darn awesome! I am surprised it isn't as well known as other games even though it has received a lot of praise (New York Times and is in the Museum of Modern Art). Anyways I highly suggest it :D
-Metang
-Klefki
Heres my Y FC:
4184 2997 2224 PM me before you add me

PM me for safaris I'm looking for! (I got a bunch)
Old December 13th, 2013 (04:54 PM).
UltraNerdtendo64
Retro Reviver!

Nature: Quiet
Underrated, eh? Let's see...

Mega Man 5 and 6 (NES)
Chrono Cross (PS1)
Radical Dreamers (SNES, JP, Satellaview)
Secret of Mana, Mega Man 7 (SNES)
Mega Man 8 (PS1, Sega Saturn) (DAT. VOICE. ACTING. x3)
Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
Rockman and Forte (SNES, JP) (Otherwise known as Mega Man and Bass, GBA)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
> Those are all I can think of for now...
Old December 13th, 2013 (08:48 PM).
Axeliira
Buoysel is best 🍐

Nature: Brave

I think the Syphon Filter series was the most underrated shooter game out there imo. Most people say it's a rip-off of Metal Gear Solid, but it has a captivating storyline. I wish there were more shooter games like this one, ones that have a good storyline. This game was my first shooter game that I played when I was young, and I still play it today, being my favorite and all.
that lights up the dark.
Old December 13th, 2013 (08:57 PM). Edited December 13th, 2013 by Krazzikk.
Krazzikk

Quote originally posted by Spinosaurus[QUOTE=Spinosaurus:
...I will be genuinely surprised if anyone here actually knew about Guru Logi Champ, though.
Not to rattle anybodys cagebut, I've actually heard of this game. A few years back, after seeing it referenced in Super Tetris for the SNES, I checked it out.

One of my favorite fighting games of all time is Power Stone 2.
This is one of those games you would buy the console just to play. It has tons of different unique items that you get access to in game through crafting other items together, and there was a sense of accomplishment when you got the really rare items. This game has so many items you can unlock that it takes up almost all the space on my VMU but it's worth it. Another thing Power Stone excells at is maps. It has really creative maps with interactive environments, such as turrets you can jump in and shoot at people, or cannons that fling rocks too people who may be fighting below. Most of the maps are also dynamic, so they change as the fight goes on. One of the maps goes from being on a airship in the sky which is pretty cool in itself, to the ship crashing and you fall down to a floating island with its own cool featurwa. Also there are 14 unique characters (including the 2 secret ones) that all have different moves, and different special abilities once you collect 3 power stones.

This game is also pretty rare although I own it. I believe it's worth around $200.
Old December 29th, 2013 (06:21 AM).
King Tetiro

I'd say Kingdoms of Amalur was a very underrated game. It suffered because of Skyrim I think being released at the same window
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links