The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:15 PM
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layell View Post
I'm going to see if this image even shows, then edit explaining. For whatever reason I need 15 posts to show image urls which is rather frustrating.

Ok so I recently made some edits to my Smogon Sylveon (like over this weekend), the eyes have been hotly debated, they are not pure oval, and how this is will probably be the best (this is your project though do what you will, and not a complete copy of the smogon one)

At the end of the day I chose that the eyes needed to be distinct even if they didn't 'match' the other eevee's, Sylveons eyes are so distinct there is nothing we could use as a frame of reference.

-The mouth open isn't as readable, the smile is similar to Cinccino sprites in how it doesn't collide with bow/fluff and nose
-Putting black on the left of the bow kind of makes it not pop out more I feel
-I restored some of the outline, this may be personal preference though, do as you will.
-How anal are you about matching back to front? I know I am, it's a great back regardless

I probably won't pop in and do this much, Sylv is just near and dear to me.
Hey Layell, I've taken your advice and changed the mouth and some of the changing.
I added some lighter colouring to the eyes, but i think it needs the ovalish shape.

I personally don't find the back and front being slightly differently posed a problem.
If you look at Gen IV its very clear that the back sprites don't usually match the pose
at all. I like continuing this style because it matches Chaos' resource more.
It also makes it more interesting when you're fighting a pokemon with that same pokemon.

Quote:
Amazing! I've been looking for some good sprites and I think I've found them! Haha, I'd like to see more please!
All the Gen VI sprites I've made are here.

Quote:
Normal and Shiny "Aromatisse". They are indexed, so you should be able to insert them into your game straight away.
Hope you guys like them.
Thanks for your submission, but I won't be accepting this. Sorry!

Anyway for everyone else I've done Spritzee!

Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:56 PM
Randomlords

Bravo on the Skrelp sprite! I can't wait to see if Dragalge will get done.
Old February 10th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Uxie101

Nature: Brave
I used this picture
Spoiler:
to sprite into this,i hope you like it
EDIT:Yay diancie is revealed ,i also used this picture
Spoiler:
to sprite this.

Last edited by Uxie101; February 11th, 2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: More sprites
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:44 PM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Nature: Adamant
Do you mind if I do some revisions to existing sprites. They are all great, but could use soften colors, simpler shading, ect. With a little alteration, these sprites could be a great resource for fangames.

This sprite is near perfect, it's a matter of preference, but I would suggest a few darker lines and simpler shading around the ears/head.

Again, great sprite. Really great! However, the facial details are difficult to discern, the downfall of a bit too much smoothness. I do the three feet away test. Stand three feet away from the laptop and if the image is clear, you are in the the clear.

Retrodex Sprites
|D&D Forum|??? (coming soon)

Last edited by The Dark Avenger; February 10th, 2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Meh, not dark enough.
Old February 12th, 2014, 02:57 AM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
Bravo on the Skrelp sprite! I can't wait to see if Dragalge will get done.
They will all get done eventually. Though Dragalge will be very annoying.

Quote:
I used this picture
Spoiler:
to sprite into this,i hope you like it
EDIT:Yay diancie is revealed ,i also used this picture
Spoiler:
to sprite this.
Uh.. no thanks. There are several problems with these, I can't even address how to try to fix them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenneking View Post
Do you mind if I do some revisions to existing sprites. They are all great, but could use soften colors, simpler shading, ect. With a little alteration, these sprites could be a great resource for fangames.

This sprite is near perfect, it's a matter of preference, but I would suggest a few darker lines and simpler shading around the ears/head.

Again, great sprite. Really great! However, the facial details are difficult to discern, the downfall of a bit too much smoothness. I do the three feet away test. Stand three feet away from the laptop and if the image is clear, you are in the the clear.
Interesting suggestions, I'm not going to change Frogadier or Greninja.
I may alter Frogadier slightly in the future, but in that case it'd likely be it's backsprite.

I have taken your advice for Chesnaught and Sylveon and have tweaked some of the shading, though I won't be using the face you made for Chesnaught.

I have tweaked several of my sprites in the mean time. I wanted to get these ones all fixed up before I attempt new ones. The only sprites I have left that I really want to change are Braixen's front sprite, and Gogoat's back sprite.

If anyone's used any of the following sprites already you may want to replace them.

Sylveon

Quilladin

Chesnaught

Slurpuff

Goomy

Sliggoo

Goodra

Spritzee

Last edited by MrDollSteak; March 21st, 2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old February 13th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Touched-up Goodra's back a bit to try and smooth things out a little:

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS

Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:16 PM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
Touched-up Goodra's back a bit to try and smooth things out a little:
Lookin' pretty sexy Chaos

Feel free to touch up anything else!
Looking forward to more submissions.
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Uxie101

I worked on diancie
Spoiler:
( it's face and head is not scratched but its body and hair is
Old February 15th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Uxie101

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnking2255 View Post
Can you make a Diancie front/back and normal/shiny sprite?
@ shawnking2255 MrDollSteak said Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDollSteak View Post
ALSO! I do realise that Gen VI sprites are in high demand at the moment but I would like
to remind you, DO NOT POST REQUESTS!
I've seen Chaos' thread riddled with requests which put it in constant danger of being
shut down, so I would like to stop this before it can even begin.
please don't request here.

Last edited by Uxie101; February 15th, 2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:25 AM
al199288

I made some sprites, all backsprites are fully scratched and some front sprites source from the web resized.

661.PNG

662.PNG

663.PNG

694.PNG

695.PNG
Old February 16th, 2014, 07:21 PM
adipasa
Amateur Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by al199288 View Post
I made some sprites, all backsprites are fully scratched and some front sprites source from the web resized.

Attachment 71010

Attachment 71011

Attachment 71012

Attachment 71015

Attachment 71016
Wow, such sprite :o , Gen VI Pokemon, such good =.=

...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
BROFIST ...............\
Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:56 PM
Seth1353

Nature: Jolly
probably the best x and y gbs sprites I've seen keep up the good work :p
Old February 27th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Uxie101

Hey,what happened to MrDollSteak?.
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxie101 View Post
He's really busy right now. Don't worry, he hasn't forgotten about this.

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old February 28th, 2014, 12:59 AM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
These are great, can you tell me where the original sprites are from so I can source them.
I'm definitely using Fletchinder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxie101 View Post
I only post here when I have submissions.
I've been doing other things as Chaos said!

That said here is Pangoro!
Front sprite is from the XY Sprite Project, Credits to Branflakes325!

Next thing I want to do is fix Amaura's front sprite, and then Fletchinder.
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Uxie101

I redone Diancie(it's hair) , i hope you like it.

Last edited by Uxie101; March 2nd, 2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:41 AM
al199288

Helioptile(by Wobblebuns)
Heliolisk(by Noscium)
Fletchling&Fletchinder(by zerudez)
And all backsprite by me

来句中文看你认不认识 XD
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:51 PM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDollSteak View Post

Interesting suggestions, I'm not going to change Frogadier or Greninja.
I may alter Frogadier slightly in the future, but in that case it'd likely be it's backsprite.

I have taken your advice for Chesnaught and Sylveon and have tweaked some of the shading, though I won't be using the face you made for Chesnaught.
1.There are some fundamental flaws especially with the shading and linework of Frogadier that obfuscate the X/Y design. It's difficult to tell it's even the same pokemon (especially when just looking at the face) and the shading is too saturated for the aesthetic you are going for, D/P.

2.Further, the shading, is the major issue with frogadier's sprite.

3. Sylveon's eyes go too far over to the side rather than looking over diagonally, as I have corrected. (Rule of thumb, the pupils should never be in the same exact same position on both eyes. Along with the mouth that looks gauche as it touches the eye; though it doesn't necessarily need to have an open mouth as in my sprite, it seemed to be a good alternative and appears cuter. The new edit to Sylveon still looks gauche in the face. Still flat and no dimension as I improved with the previous edit, lining the cheek of the face with a darker outline.

4. Chestnaught still feels...soulless in the face. The eyes don't pop, and it's expression is lost without some contrast. The style is not very characteristic of DS spriting style in that regard.

Spriting is all about giving the character simple shading and clean lines so it's structure and expression pops. I hope you reconsider the choices you have made on a technical/aesthetic basis for the sake of improving the quality of the resource.

Again, this is a team effort. Your spriting is great. There are plenty of sprites I have no suggestions! These ones have little, yet significant errors, that are really easy fixes. The fact that I only needed to rework a few things tells that they were executed well to begin with. Just, "well", can always be improved.

Retrodex Sprites

Last edited by The Dark Avenger; February 28th, 2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:48 PM
RPD490

Nature: Relaxed
I guess soon you are gonna be adding Mega Latios and Latias to the list for Mega Evolution sprites since they do exist in X/Y just not officially annouced yet.
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:10 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Quote:
the shading is too saturated for the aesthetic you are going for, D/P.
Sorry, but I flat out disagree with this. The colors in MrDollSteak's Greninja sprite are perfect. The shading style he is going for is not D/P, but to be more specific, the style used by the Gen I & II Pokémon in HG/SS and the Gen V Pokémon in B/W. They're supposed to be high-contrast shades, as it's specifically trying to mimic typical Japanese anime style, generally having two main shades and a third bright shade that's used as the icing on the cake. The colors are supposed to be bright, vibrant, and high-contrast; your colors are rather faded and desaturated, and that is not something I want for the DS-Style 64x64 Sprite Project. Your colors for Greninja and Frogadier don't match up with the official art that well, and one of the major points of the DS-Style 64x64 Sprite Project is to have a set of Pokémon sprites that actually match up with Ken Sugimori's depictions of them.

(not trying to bash you, as I agree with a few of your other points such as Frogadier's shading could be improved, but I'm just making a point that the HG/SS/B/W style is supposed to have vibrant, high-contrast shades)

Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete

Last edited by Chaos Rush; March 1st, 2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 01:34 AM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
Sorry, but I flat out disagree with this. The colors in MrDollSteak's Greninja sprite are perfect. The shading style he is going for is not D/P, but to be more specific, the style used by the Gen I & II Pokémon in HG/SS and the Gen V Pokémon in B/W. They're supposed to be high-contrast shades, as it's specifically trying to mimic typical Japanese anime style, generally having two main shades and a third bright shade that's used as the icing on the cake. The colors are supposed to be bright, vibrant, and high-contrast; your colors are rather faded and desaturated, and that is not something I want for the DS-Style 64x64 Sprite Project. Your colors for Greninja and Frogadier don't match up with the official art that well, and one of the major points of the DS-Style 64x64 Sprite Project is to have a set of Pokémon sprites that actually match up with Ken Sugimori's depictions of them.

(not trying to bash you, as I agree with a few of your other points such as Frogadier's shading could be improved, but I'm just making a point that the HG/SS/B/W style is supposed to have vibrant, high-contrast shades)
Oh, I get the style that MrDollSteak is going for now. And, no; I take no offense!

There are still issues beyond the saturation, I quite like the more saturated look if we aren't going for D/P style, but the HGSS.

So, here are some revisions to the sprites, with the original high contrast color. My other edits didn't change the color, and actually probably added more contrast to the crucial areas of the face, which should work well with the style we are trying to achieve

Retrodex Sprites

Last edited by The Dark Avenger; March 2nd, 2014 at 01:40 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:40 AM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
Oh, I get the style that MrDollSteak is going for now. And, no; I take no offense!

There are still issues beyond the saturation, I quite like the more saturated look if we aren't going for D/P style, but the HGSS.

So, here are some revisions to the sprites, with the original high contrast color. My other edits didn't change the color, and actually probably added more contrast to the crucial areas of the face, which should work well with the style we are trying to achieve

While I appreciate you trying to 'improve' the sprites, you are doing so in an incredibly patronising manner.

I have no problems with you saying things such as 'I'd personally change the shading on Frogadier' with some specific examples rather than making snarky comments such as the following:

Quote:
'There are some fundamental flaws especially with the shading and linework of Frogadier that obfuscate the X/Y design. It's difficult to tell it's even the same pokemon (especially when just looking at the face) and the shading is too saturated for the aesthetic you are going for, D/P.
As Chaos pointed out earlier, D/P isn't the aesthetic, so also make sure you read the first post to understand the project better, before offering redundant criticism.

You have also reposted the exact same images as before which I have already rejected, for sprites that I have already touched up, using some legitimate improvements which I saw in your work.

I already said I am not accepting any of those sprites, so it is quite frankly, disrespectful that you'd repost them after criticizing both the old sprites a second time, and the new ones (though for all I know you didn't even bother looking at them).

If you honestly think your sprites are an improvement (an opinion I do not share for various reasons, primarily the proportional neglect that I reference in the first post) then feel free to use them. I am not forcing you or anyone else into using my sprite resource.

If you wish to critique my further submissions, feel free, I value constructive input. Though make sure you are being constructive, and not just opinionated. I have found some of your criticism to be valid and constructive, such as Chesnaught and Sylveon's original shading. However I am offended by your patronising attitude to my spriting ability when using terms such as 'spriting is all about', 'rule of thumb' obviously implying you view me to be new to spriting (completely untrue, I have being so for the past seven years) and your subjective statements such as 'as I improved'.

All that being said, I have taken 'some' of your improvements towards Frogadier which I found helpful and valid, and have touched the sprite up, specifically the shading in regards to the bubbles.

With that out of the way, please do not bring up those sprites again, I am frankly sick and tired of you bringing up the exact same 'issues' in regards to those sprites. I have touched them up frequently and am completely satisfied with them. I would at this point rather spend my time working on new sprites, and fixing sprites that I believe need actual edits, such as Braixen, Delphox, Litleo and Gogoat.

Last edited by MrDollSteak; March 3rd, 2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 06:07 AM
Uxie101

I made diancie(front back and its shiny)

Last edited by Uxie101; March 2nd, 2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:04 AM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

The Greninja/Frogadier sprites are quite different from the original edits. I have taken into account the HGSS/BW/Sugimori (Anime) style that was recommended, and have already acknowledged that this wasn't a D/P aestetic, no need to reiterate that point.

The changes in frogadier look great. It really looks better with just a few minute touchup, so very little time investment, since the changes though significant are quick to perform, but little edits can turn great results.

Though, the foot on the right is still a bit off.

All posts have been constructive, don't take offense to spriting tips. I am sure you have some for me as well. They allow us to see some improvements that can be made to our art, since we overlook certain aspects of our own art. I have people suggest minor to major sprite changes to ALOT of my work.

Some of the issues seem apparent though, like Slyveon looking directly left, sprites face forward, to the left. So, they are very little change that are general rules of thumb. Just as another person pointed out high contrast is a general rule for this resource. The edits of slyveon still have that issue, as well as the gauche mouth, since the black mouth pixel neighbors the black eye lining in a limited area, and perhaps, Sylveon would never be depicted with a side-smirk in the anime. The other edits on sylveon look great, I was pointing out that those are still needed little, one-minute, changes. So it was to reiterate a point you may have missed during your edit.

And the collasped face in Greninja, which doesn't look characteristic of the anime. Requires just a bit of new pixels around the head. The original sprite, honestly doesn't resemble the 3D model or Sugimori art in the head area only, which is a fundamental flaw, or of central importance to the sprite. I am not seeing the snarky comment.

These are as objective as comments I can, though all art is subject. I always make sure to point out the positive part of the sprite as well; which there are many. We could also ask which aspects work better.

Good luck with the resource.

Retrodex Sprites

Last edited by The Dark Avenger; March 2nd, 2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:45 AM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
Though, the foot on the right is still a bit off.

All posts have been constructive, don't take offense to spriting tips.

Some of the issues seem apparent though, like Slyveon looking directly left, sprites face forward, to the left. So, they are very little change that are general rules of thumb. Just as another person pointed out high contrast is a general rule for this resource. The edits of slyveon still have that issue, as well as the gauche mouth, since the black mouth pixel neighbors the black eye lining in a limited area, and perhaps, Sylveon would never be depicted with a side-smirk in the anime. The other edits on sylveon look great, I was pointing out that those are still needed little, one-minute, changes. So it was to reiterate a point you may have missed during your edit.

And the collasped face in Greninja, which doesn't look characteristic of the anime. Requires just a bit of new pixels around the head. The original sprite, honestly doesn't resemble the 3D model or Sugimori art in the head area only, which is a fundamental flaw, or of central importance to the sprite. I am not seeing the snarky comment.
What did I just say?

"With that out of the way, please do not bring up those sprites again, I am frankly sick and tired of you bringing up the exact same 'issues' in regards to those sprites. I have touched them up frequently and am completely satisfied with them. I would at this point rather spend my time working on new sprites, and fixing sprites that I believe need actual edits, such as Braixen, Delphox, Litleo and Gogoat."

Quote:
I made diancie(front back and its shiny)
Sorry I'm not accepting these.

Anyways I've touched up the Fletchinder sprites!
Credits to Zerudez for the front sprite, and al199288 for the backsprite!

Last edited by MrDollSteak; March 20th, 2014 at 09:38 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links