The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 9th, 2013 (12:04 PM). Edited February 14th, 2014 by BobTheImam.
BobTheImam

Hey guys, I'm Bob. I am working on my first hack ever, its been a little bit of a rough start, but I'm slowly getting the hang of scripting, mapping, and the like. I am looking for an experienced scripter to assist me with a lot of the issues I am having, but if anyone has any advice to a newbie like me, it would be greatly appreciated. So, without further ado, here is my game so far.

Pokemon Colosseum: For GBA
Spoiler:
Plot: (Hint, it is the same plot as pokemon colosseum). You are a snagger from a criminal organization, Team Snagem. Either frustrated with the current state of affairs, or simply due to a change of heart, you decide to ditch the organization, steal their "snag machine", which is used to steal pokemon, and blow up their base. You learn that a new criminal organization, Cipher, has been making shadow pokemon. With the snag machine, you aim to snag from your enemies and purify these shadow pokemon. While this game will stick to the main plot of colosseum, not everything will be exactly the same.

Currently working on: PYRITE TOWN

Screenshots
SHADOW STARTERS:
Spoiler:

SNAGEM HIDEOUT:
Spoiler:

OUTSKIRT STAND:
Spoiler:

PHENAC CITY:
Spoiler:

ROUTE BETWEEN PHENAC/PYRITE
Spoiler:

CONSTRUCTION LOT:

POKESPOT (Until I get shadows working)

PYRITE TOWN:
Spoiler:

Duel Square (Shadows coming soon)

Anyone who is interested in helping me with my project can pm me or post here. Thanks for your help everyone!

Current Team:
Lead: BobTheImam
Still looking for: Everything
Old December 9th, 2013 (10:54 PM).
chiefjeef
Hero Of Time

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to chiefjeef
No comments yet ? Im looking forward to this! I heard colloseum was amazing!
Old December 9th, 2013 (10:57 PM).
Flower
ワイルドフラワー

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Flower
You need a little work on your mapping sir
I've saw a lot of tile errors there and it's best to take a scripting tut
on the tutorials section. Well, this is your first hack, so it can be improve.
I don't understand much about your hack, good luck on the rest there
Old December 9th, 2013 (11:48 PM).
Teh Blazer
Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
I've been awaiting the day a Colosseum port to the GBA would finally be made, now hopefully this will be it.

As already said, your mapping could use work to look a lot more natural (If it looks realistic, it's at least decent). If you're having trouble with scripting, shoot it up to the scripting thread or hit me up, it'll be a lot easier than fiddling around for an hour to find out what's wrong. :P

A little more info would be nice, such as progress and credits. All in all, good luck man.
Old December 10th, 2013 (02:01 AM).
GreyVirgo
•=ØInfinityØ=•

Nature: Serious
This hack idea is amazing.
But there are also some things that I want to suggest.

You should resize the screenshots. (You can use an image editing program like Photoshop and Paint.Net)
Work on mapping. (Look in the tutorials section.)
After months get a team that will help you.

I saw lots of tile errors and stuff that you won't see in a good hack but practice..... It will help you make a good hack.

Good luck on this.

Other Forums Im In:

EGC Account: Grey
PHO Account: XLR8
LV Account: Grey

"I love making out with lamps!" - Nigahiga
Old December 10th, 2013 (02:08 AM).
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
The mapping could use alot of work, and you should make smaller screenshots.

But back to mapping, look at official maps and then try to make a map that matches it's style, but also matches the Colosseum style, but to match Colosseum's style you're most likely going to need custom tiles, there's only so much you can do with default tiles.

Just strollin' to my next destination...
Old December 10th, 2013 (06:35 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I will be repeating the same but I just have to say it... those maps are ugly...
There are too many tile errors that are so disturbing that even I, big Colosseum fan, wouldn't play this hack.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old December 10th, 2013 (07:30 AM).
BobTheImam

Do you all suggest I add custom tiles? I really don't have a lot of free time, and I was supposed to have friends help me with this, so bear with me on this. I'm willing to put in the work if someone could add a link in how to put in custom tiles. Really, what I need are easy to follow tutorials. I have looked at a lot of resources, such as diego's tutorial for scripting, and some youtube videos for mapping, but the more help I get the better. Thanks for whoever gave me constructive criticism.

Pokemon Colosseum (For GBA)

Old December 10th, 2013 (08:17 AM).
BobTheImam

Edit: Resized the images and fixed some of the blatant mapping issues in the game. Hopefully its tolerable for all you perfectionist!

Old December 10th, 2013 (09:28 AM).
AmazingCharizard
Pokemon Rocket Strike creator

Nature: Brave
I like the idea as I never played Colosseum but I wanted to.
I agree that your mapping needs some work but I think you get better as you progress with your hack. Keep pushing forward

Check out my hack "Pokemon Rocket Strike" http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=319844
How to patch a rom:
1.Download the patch. If it is in a zip file then use a free tool named WinRar to unzip the file.
2.Use Google to find the rom you need.
3.PATCH THAT THING AND LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!
Old December 10th, 2013 (01:01 PM).
Le pug
Creator of Pokémon: Discovery
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
The plot is somewhat interesting, I think you could go further with it. As for your maps, you need to improve them. If you want to attract people, that's what you need to do. You should look at how good maps are made with this topic: Map rating / review thread just to get an idea of tile placement. If you want to learn how to insert tiles into AdvanceMap, check out my tutorial here: Tile Insertion Into AdvanceMap For Dummies. I recommend doing this to help out your hack if you want it to go bigger. Develop your story a little bit more and bring in plot twists and I think you'll have a fun hack. Good luck.

Check out some of my contributions:
• Check out my easy tile insertion tutorial, Inserting Tiles Into AdvanceMap For Dummies
Click here to find out how to remove clouds from the Emerald titlescreen
• Check out the most updated Emereld Decapitalization Patch around by clicking here
• Need help fixing a gross bug in your hack? Let me show you how by clicking here

Click here to view the PC thread of Pokémon: Discovery.
Click here to view the PC thread of Pokémon: Fat Kid.

Pokétch ROM Hacking Community Pokémon: Discovery Discovery Twitter Discovery FB IRC Chat
Old December 10th, 2013 (01:27 PM).
BobTheImam

I had recently looked at that when people said my maps sucked, didn't realize that was yours. Its great so far, if I have any questions can I give you a shout? Thanks for both the links!

Old December 10th, 2013 (01:50 PM).
Rezordaxx
Asks many questions!

Nature: Relaxed
Well i have seen this kind of hack done before and i have seen that hack fail because of to much work,
Assuming this is your first hack this will be verry hard to pull of, Or to pull it of good.
This hack will be verry time taking (just like mine) so take my advice if you dont have enough time dont do it. Cause you need to make maps, sprites , tile , insert tiles, play coloseum again for the perfect storyline, write the script of the game, script, asm,
This things are mostly basic for a hack but this hack kind of hack makes it harder because you almost cant use anything from the original pokemon firered
Aside from that snagable shadow pokemon are hard as f*ck to make,
I dont want to ruin your hack or ruin your hacking spirit.
But this will be a verry hard job and it will take you a lot of time!

BUT if you take enough time dont rush and want to do things professional you can assemble a small team and I think you can make this hack work.

Best of luck with this hack and I would like to see you finish this!
I will definetly follow this thread!
If you ever need small help or artwork things banners box art etc or even scripting, hit me up via pm!

Bye,

My hack
Old December 10th, 2013 (02:35 PM).
BobTheImam

I haven't been able to even think about how to implement shadow pokemon. How do you get it so you can catch other peoples pokemon, lord knows. But I think I can do it, may not be as professional as it could be but I'll try my best.

Quick question about the map, what should it even look like? Its impossible to replicate the 3d world of colosseum, so I just did my own take on it. Sure I didn't add new tiles, but honestly what would I even add tile wise if I wanted to add new ones?

Old December 10th, 2013 (03:56 PM).
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Try using this small map to help make the map in a gba format.

Old December 10th, 2013 (07:01 PM).
Benedict87

This is an awesome idea. I always wanted to play a colosseum remake! I can't wait until Beta 1 is released!
Old December 10th, 2013 (07:12 PM).
BobTheImam

@Varion
I am not making a field map, was planning on just having the player walk through the events in the game. But thanks for that anyways, will certainly use it as a resource.

Old December 10th, 2013 (07:14 PM).
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheImam View Post
@Varion
I am not making a field map, was planning on just having the player walk through the events in the game. But thanks for that anyways, will certainly use it as a resource.
How will you connect the towns together?
Just saying where you want to go will be a bit boring, don't ya think?

Old December 10th, 2013 (09:56 PM).
oshizlgzngahr

If you can complete this that'd be probably one of the best hacks ever.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old December 11th, 2013 (03:46 AM).
BobTheImam

Best hacks ever? Sorry to disappoint you, but this is my first hack ever, it may be a good idea, but expectations need to be tempered a little XD .

@Varion: How would you propose having a field map anyways? Right now towns are connected by routes as is standard.

Old December 11th, 2013 (03:59 AM).
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Keep it like that.
Seems better than deciding wqhere to go on a screen.

Old December 11th, 2013 (04:06 AM).
Dark Shadow 6
Kιηg Oƒ Hєαятѕ

Nature: Lonely
Saturnus is right you need work on map
Old December 11th, 2013 (06:46 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Do you all suggest I add custom tiles?
You don't necessarily need that. Yea, they might give the hack better graphic look but you can also make great maps with default tiles.
The most important thing is fixing all tile errors so your maps won't look amateur.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old December 11th, 2013 (07:03 AM).
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Best hacks ever? Sorry to disappoint you, but this is my first hack ever, it may be a good idea, but expectations need to be tempered a little XD .

@Varion: How would you propose having a field map anyways? Right now towns are connected by routes as is standard.
Couldn't you manipulate the Fly routine so that it's usable without a HM and accessibly by leaving one of the cities? That's my idea, good luck with actually implementing it. xD

It's not the first Colosseum remake I've seen, but props for having a go at it for your first hack. As mentioned, the maps nee d to be improved a little so I'd recommend reading up on some tutorials and looking at pre-existing maps. Best of luck to you! :D

Check out the new thread soon!

Old December 11th, 2013 (12:22 PM).
Le pug
Creator of Pokémon: Discovery
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Quote:
I had recently looked at that when people said my maps sucked, didn't realize that was yours. Its great so far, if I have any questions can I give you a shout? Thanks for both the links!
No problem and yes if you need any help just send me a PM and I'll be glad to help.

Check out some of my contributions:
• Check out my easy tile insertion tutorial, Inserting Tiles Into AdvanceMap For Dummies
Click here to find out how to remove clouds from the Emerald titlescreen
• Check out the most updated Emereld Decapitalization Patch around by clicking here
• Need help fixing a gross bug in your hack? Let me show you how by clicking here

Click here to view the PC thread of Pokémon: Discovery.
Click here to view the PC thread of Pokémon: Fat Kid.

Pokétch ROM Hacking Community Pokémon: Discovery Discovery Twitter Discovery FB IRC Chat
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links