Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old March 28th, 2014, 05:14 AM
itari
悪魔の妹
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksiazek Bartlomiej View Post
Ok. I have an one question. You planing to add function of reading other Sound Engines that his used on sappy? <As I know that engine is M4A>
I'm not sure what you mean there.

If you mean: do I plan on adding a way to find the sappy songtable in an unrecognized game? Then yes, I do plan on doing that.
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Ksiazek Bartlomiej
Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Originally Posted by itari View Post
I'm not sure what you mean there.

If you mean: do I plan on adding a way to find the sappy songtable in an unrecognized game? Then yes, I do plan on doing that.
Yep. I mean about that. Personally I waiting for one tool which can dump music from Keitai Denjuu Telefang 2.
This signature has been disabled.
Video in signature
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 27th, 2014, 05:51 AM
ipatix
Music Hacking Freak

@Itari:

Have you managed to get the Song Disassembler working?
I'm really looking forward to see it working because it could help me a lot with some stuff I need to do.
I'm sorry for my bad English. I'm German...
Visit my YouTube channel (music hacking and other stuff): http://www.youtube.com/user/theipatix
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:35 PM
itari
悪魔の妹
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipatix View Post
@Itari:

Have you managed to get the Song Disassembler working?
I'm really looking forward to see it working because it could help me a lot with some stuff I need to do.
For the most part. It's not perfect, though I doubt it will ever be.
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:53 PM
pokemonmastertriplex
the ultamite pokemon master

When will you be releasing this, cannot wait to use it
My 3DS Friend code for Pokemon X and Y if you'd like to add me, PM Me your FC
4725-8425-6661
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:04 PM
itari
悪魔の妹
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemonmastertriplex View Post
When will you be releasing this, cannot wait to use it
When I finish it. I have a lot on my plate in real life, so it may be a while.

You'll have to be patient. But, it shouldn't be TOO long.
Old May 1st, 2014, 03:04 PM
pokemonmastertriplex
the ultamite pokemon master

Great, this looks like an interesting tool and i'm tired of Sappy not working properly.
My 3DS Friend code for Pokemon X and Y if you'd like to add me, PM Me your FC
4725-8425-6661
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Ksiazek Bartlomiej
Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
I waiting patiently for your tool. So i need port some Telefang 2 Music to Pokemon Game. Sappy do not work sadly with Telefang 2. So I hope that you editor can do it.
This signature has been disabled.
Video in signature
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old May 5th, 2014, 02:42 PM
ipatix
Music Hacking Freak

If Sappy doesn't support the game it's very unlikley that the game uses the m4a engine (aka sappy driver). As far as I know there is only 3 games that don't work with Sappy if you don't enter the songtable manually (Golden Sun 1 + 2, Mario Golf). If Sappy won't find the songtable than the game doesn't use the Sappy driver and this tool won't work either.
Visit my YouTube channel (music hacking and other stuff): http://www.youtube.com/user/theipatix
Old May 5th, 2014, 03:55 PM
itari
悪魔の妹
Community Supporter

Quote:
If Sappy doesn't support the game it's very unlikley that the game uses the m4a engine (aka sappy driver). As far as I know there is only 3 games that don't work with Sappy if you don't enter the songtable manually (Golden Sun 1 + 2, Mario Golf). If Sappy won't find the songtable than the game doesn't use the Sappy driver and this tool won't work either.
What ipatix says here is true. Only games that use the M4A Engine will actually work with this tool.
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Merak
Because reasons.

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
I've found a couple games that Sappy won't recognize unless you enter the songtable offset manually into the Sappy.xml file. They're "Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django" and "Shin Bokura no Taiyou: Gyakushuu no Sabata".
Sappy won't find the songtable offsets for these games. However, its possible to get the offsets using GbaMusRiper(its a tool that can rip midis and soundfonts straight from the rom itself, last I checked it was at V2.1). The tool has a nice feature that can give you the sound engine info about a given rom, like the engine's maximum simultaneous direct sound output(ex: Pokémon Emerald has 5, Boktai 2 had 12 I believe...).
So even if Sappy doesn't find the songtable at all, there's still a way to get the offset and have Sappy use it.
(Not sure if this was useful or not but I thought it might interest somebody.)
"it is nearly 11 pm and we're discussing an alien eating the personification of humanity's evil desires
help"

Credit for the userbar goes to xVaporeon; credit for the avatar goes to Snakeyem12.
MY WRITING
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:49 AM
ipatix
Music Hacking Freak

Oh yeah, I know the GbaMusRiper (I used to chat a lot with the maker).
But it's still interesting to see that Sappy doesn't recognize all Sappy games perfectly and there is other ways to find it.
Old June 14th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Mikekillkill
Musket Marine

Nature: Hasty
Can you make it compatible with GBC roms (GSC) by any chance?
Old June 15th, 2014, 04:41 AM
xGal
du bist n00b

Nature: Bold
Hmm I have seen in one of the comments the idea of a song table extender. Seriously, it's not hard, a simple repoint would work. Speaking of extended tables, are you going to add an INI file that we could change, if the song table is already extended?
Hey guys, I made a soundcloud account not long ago, and I would be very happy if you guys will check it out: https://soundcloud.com/dewombat. Thanks .

Also, if you ever wanted to make a ROM hacking tool, click here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=334348
Old June 15th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
What ipatix says here is true. Only games that use the M4A Engine will actually work with this tool.
Would it even be possible to develop Advanced Song to play sound data from games that don't use the M4A engine? Such as part of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Super Mario Advance?

These games only use M4A in the Mario Bros. counterpart, while the other counterpart uses just generic ASM coding for pointing towards sequences, banks and waves.
[Platinum Lucario's Signature]
Researching the NDS ROMs...

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old June 15th, 2014, 07:01 AM
itari
悪魔の妹
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekillkill View Post
Can you make it compatible with GBC roms (GSC) by any chance?
I'm gonna say no to that. The focus of this tool is the M4A engine.
If this idea gets enough popularity, maybe, but for now no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGal View Post
Hmm I have seen in one of the comments the idea of a song table extender. Seriously, it's not hard, a simple repoint would work. Speaking of extended tables, are you going to add an INI file that we could change, if the song table is already extended?
Yeah, I have a very simple format that I use to save settings for ROMs, and it should be no problem for the user to modify it to use a different table.

Adding a way to repoint the table is interesting, so I'll look into it once I have a working version released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Lucario View Post
Would it even be possible to develop Advanced Song to play sound data from games that don't use the M4A engine? Such as part of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Super Mario Advance?

These games only use M4A in the Mario Bros. counterpart, while the other counterpart uses just generic ASM coding for pointing towards sequences, banks and waves.
It would be possible if you feel like completely analyzing and explaining the format used by those games to me. Otherwise, it's not really a priority. As I said above, this will be for games using the M4A format.

On a generic note, I wanna apologize for leaving this tool hanging, but I wanted to finish out the school year before working any further on this, because it does require quite a bit of my focus and time. So, now that my school's let out for the summer, expect to see updates and such coming along.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:24 PM
Sotireon
Strong pokemon. Weak Pokemon.

Nature: Sassy
your screen shots for this look like the tool will be easy to use. i have very little knowledge about song editing, but will this let you easily import mp4, s or midi files into the game?? or is it more about making different music play for certain battles, overworld maps?
Old July 3rd, 2014, 09:19 AM
Chaos_Darkrai

All this is looking amazing, and truly makes sappy look like garbage! Good on you! There are some things I am currently wondering... With the ability to edit voicegroups, could you possibly add the ability to add voicegroups? Like, another voicegroup, then add the instruments to it? That would be amazing! Another thing I am wondering, will this be able to just play the music in the game, like the play button on sappy, loops recognized and all? Because I like using sappy as a sort of music player, but alas, it is garbage, as well as glitchy. Could you do this? Also absolutely cannot wait for the release, this tool looks like it will be real simple to use!

EDIT: another thing that would be fabulous, is the ability to take a voicegroup from one game, and put it into another, like taking the voicegroup for the R/S/E Surf theme, and put it into Fire Red! Just some suggestions to make a good tool even better!
░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
Il███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..

If you're looking for a good time, or just want to chat, come over to Weloxux and I's channel at:
http://mibbit.com/?server=irc.mibbit...%23Dragons_Den

Last edited by Chaos_Darkrai; July 3rd, 2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Something else I'd like to see...
Old July 3rd, 2014, 05:19 PM
Merak
Because reasons.

Nature: Quiet
I've actually had the idea of "transplanting" voicegroups or audio data from game to game before too.
Thing is, that'd probably be really complicated. I think that'd probably be better for a later version--you know, just focus on the important features first. (Then again, that's just me. lol)
"it is nearly 11 pm and we're discussing an alien eating the personification of humanity's evil desires
help"

Credit for the userbar goes to xVaporeon; credit for the avatar goes to Snakeyem12.
MY WRITING
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Mikekillkill
Musket Marine

Nature: Hasty
My Sappy started buggig out... PLEASE LET THIS WORK AS THE REPLACEMENT, PLEASE LET THIS WORK AS THE REPLACEMENT, PLEASE LET THIS WORK AS THE REPLACEMENT...
Hopefully it gets finished soon...
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:16 PM
itari
悪魔の妹
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekillkill View Post
My Sappy started buggig out... PLEASE LET THIS WORK AS THE REPLACEMENT, PLEASE LET THIS WORK AS THE REPLACEMENT, PLEASE LET THIS WORK AS THE REPLACEMENT...
Hopefully it gets finished soon...
I hope it gets finished soon too.
In all seriousness though, I've had a few things delay me on development. I just recently got a new computer, so I've been trying to get settled in there, and I also joined the speed hacking competition this week. After that, I'd like to think I'll have the free time for some programming.
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:15 PM
DJTiKi
The Pokémon Idealist

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to DJTiKi
I'm patiently waiting, because I have some music that I want in my upcoming game c: and I won't start till I have it.

Got a knack in Hacking? Then you should probably click that picture. I'm still waiting....sooooooo nice weather isn't it?.

Links For All The Things:
DJTiKi's Guide To Planning Your Awesome ROM Hack! Planning For Dummies
The Idea Exchange Thread- Inspiring Bigger Things!
A (Very) Short Dictionary To ROM Hacking Lingo!
Old July 25th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Fatih120

Hey, man, this thing still going good? I've been searching around for weeks, too, so I can't wait until it's done :)
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:34 PM
itari
悪魔の妹
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatih120 View Post
Hey, man, this thing still going good? I've been searching around for weeks, too, so I can't wait until it's done
Yes, it's still going. These past few weeks I've been slowly reprogramming everything, because what I had before was a total mess. I think I will post an image or two as a preview soon.
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Queen Azura
Mistress of Midnight

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Yes, it's still going. These past few weeks I've been slowly reprogramming everything, because what I had before was a total mess. I think I will post an image or two as a preview soon.
Just would like to say I'm incredibly excited for this! Inserting music with Sappy is such a headache, and I have high hopes for your tool. ♥

. : | cast off the fleeting, transient world | : .
. : | FC: 5086-3361-9631 IGN: Azura | : .
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here