Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Reload this Page [Tool] Advanced Song: GBA Music Editor [Alpha 0.5] ~ Open-Source

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old March 28th, 2014 (05:14 AM).
カミツレ
Silver Tier

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Ksiazek Bartlomiej:
Ok. I have an one question. You planing to add function of reading other Sound Engines that his used on sappy? <As I know that engine is M4A>
I'm not sure what you mean there.

If you mean: do I plan on adding a way to find the sappy songtable in an unrecognized game? Then yes, I do plan on doing that.
Old March 28th, 2014 (02:09 PM).
Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
Quote originally posted by itari:
I'm not sure what you mean there.

If you mean: do I plan on adding a way to find the sappy songtable in an unrecognized game? Then yes, I do plan on doing that.
Yep. I mean about that. Personally I waiting for one tool which can dump music from Keitai Denjuu Telefang 2.
Old April 27th, 2014 (05:51 AM).
Sound Expert

Nature: Relaxed
@Itari:

Have you managed to get the Song Disassembler working?
I'm really looking forward to see it working because it could help me a lot with some stuff I need to do.
Old April 29th, 2014 (01:35 PM).
カミツレ
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by ipatix:
@Itari:

Have you managed to get the Song Disassembler working?
I'm really looking forward to see it working because it could help me a lot with some stuff I need to do.
For the most part. It's not perfect, though I doubt it will ever be.
Old May 1st, 2014 (01:53 PM).
the ultamite pokemon master

When will you be releasing this, cannot wait to use it
Old May 1st, 2014 (02:04 PM).
カミツレ
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by pokemonmastertriplex:
When will you be releasing this, cannot wait to use it
When I finish it. I have a lot on my plate in real life, so it may be a while.

You'll have to be patient. But, it shouldn't be TOO long.
Old May 1st, 2014 (03:04 PM).
the ultamite pokemon master

Great, this looks like an interesting tool and i'm tired of Sappy not working properly.
Old May 4th, 2014 (05:57 AM).
Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
I waiting patiently for your tool. So i need port some Telefang 2 Music to Pokemon Game. Sappy do not work sadly with Telefang 2. So I hope that you editor can do it.
Old May 5th, 2014 (02:42 PM).
Sound Expert

If Sappy doesn't support the game it's very unlikley that the game uses the m4a engine (aka sappy driver). As far as I know there is only 3 games that don't work with Sappy if you don't enter the songtable manually (Golden Sun 1 + 2, Mario Golf). If Sappy won't find the songtable than the game doesn't use the Sappy driver and this tool won't work either.
Old May 5th, 2014 (03:55 PM).
カミツレ
Silver Tier

If Sappy doesn't support the game it's very unlikley that the game uses the m4a engine (aka sappy driver). As far as I know there is only 3 games that don't work with Sappy if you don't enter the songtable manually (Golden Sun 1 + 2, Mario Golf). If Sappy won't find the songtable than the game doesn't use the Sappy driver and this tool won't work either.
What ipatix says here is true. Only games that use the M4A Engine will actually work with this tool.
Old May 12th, 2014 (08:28 PM).
Because reasons.

Nature: Quiet
I've found a couple games that Sappy won't recognize unless you enter the songtable offset manually into the Sappy.xml file. They're "Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django" and "Shin Bokura no Taiyou: Gyakushuu no Sabata".
Sappy won't find the songtable offsets for these games. However, its possible to get the offsets using GbaMusRiper(its a tool that can rip midis and soundfonts straight from the rom itself, last I checked it was at V2.1). The tool has a nice feature that can give you the sound engine info about a given rom, like the engine's maximum simultaneous direct sound output(ex: Pokémon Emerald has 5, Boktai 2 had 12 I believe...).
So even if Sappy doesn't find the songtable at all, there's still a way to get the offset and have Sappy use it.
(Not sure if this was useful or not but I thought it might interest somebody.)

Credit for the userbar goes to xVaporeon; credit for the avatar goes to Snakeyem12.
Old May 13th, 2014 (07:49 AM).
Sound Expert

Oh yeah, I know the GbaMusRiper (I used to chat a lot with the maker).
But it's still interesting to see that Sappy doesn't recognize all Sappy games perfectly and there is other ways to find it.
Old June 14th, 2014 (08:01 PM).
Musket Marine

Nature: Hasty
Can you make it compatible with GBC roms (GSC) by any chance?

"Don't use gifs off Steam." -A wise man once said, untill he took a doge to the knee

Old June 15th, 2014 (04:41 AM).
Playing some ESL

Nature: Bold
Hmm I have seen in one of the comments the idea of a song table extender. Seriously, it's not hard, a simple repoint would work. Speaking of extended tables, are you going to add an INI file that we could change, if the song table is already extended?

Also, if you ever wanted to make a ROM hacking tool, click here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=334348
Old June 15th, 2014 (06:29 AM).
The Legendary Master of Light!
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
What ipatix says here is true. Only games that use the M4A Engine will actually work with this tool.
Would it even be possible to develop Advanced Song to play sound data from games that don't use the M4A engine? Such as part of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Super Mario Advance?

These games only use M4A in the Mario Bros. counterpart, while the other counterpart uses just generic ASM coding for pointing towards sequences, banks and waves.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm gradually learning to use Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old June 15th, 2014 (07:01 AM).
カミツレ
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Mikekillkill:
Can you make it compatible with GBC roms (GSC) by any chance?
I'm gonna say no to that. The focus of this tool is the M4A engine.
If this idea gets enough popularity, maybe, but for now no.

Quote originally posted by xGal:
Hmm I have seen in one of the comments the idea of a song table extender. Seriously, it's not hard, a simple repoint would work. Speaking of extended tables, are you going to add an INI file that we could change, if the song table is already extended?
Yeah, I have a very simple format that I use to save settings for ROMs, and it should be no problem for the user to modify it to use a different table.

Adding a way to repoint the table is interesting, so I'll look into it once I have a working version released.

Quote originally posted by Platinum Lucario:
Would it even be possible to develop Advanced Song to play sound data from games that don't use the M4A engine? Such as part of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Super Mario Advance?

These games only use M4A in the Mario Bros. counterpart, while the other counterpart uses just generic ASM coding for pointing towards sequences, banks and waves.
It would be possible if you feel like completely analyzing and explaining the format used by those games to me. Otherwise, it's not really a priority. As I said above, this will be for games using the M4A format.

On a generic note, I wanna apologize for leaving this tool hanging, but I wanted to finish out the school year before working any further on this, because it does require quite a bit of my focus and time. So, now that my school's let out for the summer, expect to see updates and such coming along.
Old July 2nd, 2014 (01:24 PM).
Strong pokemon. Weak Pokemon.

Nature: Sassy
your screen shots for this look like the tool will be easy to use. i have very little knowledge about song editing, but will this let you easily import mp4, s or midi files into the game?? or is it more about making different music play for certain battles, overworld maps?
Old July 3rd, 2014 (09:19 AM). Edited July 3rd, 2014 by Chaos_Darkrai.

All this is looking amazing, and truly makes sappy look like garbage! Good on you! There are some things I am currently wondering... With the ability to edit voicegroups, could you possibly add the ability to add voicegroups? Like, another voicegroup, then add the instruments to it? That would be amazing! Another thing I am wondering, will this be able to just play the music in the game, like the play button on sappy, loops recognized and all? Because I like using sappy as a sort of music player, but alas, it is garbage, as well as glitchy. Could you do this? Also absolutely cannot wait for the release, this tool looks like it will be real simple to use!

EDIT: another thing that would be fabulous, is the ability to take a voicegroup from one game, and put it into another, like taking the voicegroup for the R/S/E Surf theme, and put it into Fire Red! Just some suggestions to make a good tool even better!
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..

If you're looking for a good time, or just want to chat, come over to Weloxux and I's channel at:
http://mibbit.com/?server=irc.mibbit.net&channel=%23Dragons_Den

Old July 3rd, 2014 (05:19 PM).
Because reasons.

Nature: Quiet
I've actually had the idea of "transplanting" voicegroups or audio data from game to game before too.
Thing is, that'd probably be really complicated. I think that'd probably be better for a later version--you know, just focus on the important features first. (Then again, that's just me. lol)

Credit for the userbar goes to xVaporeon; credit for the avatar goes to Snakeyem12.
Old July 8th, 2014 (08:01 PM).
Musket Marine

Nature: Hasty
My Sappy started buggig out... PLEASE LET THIS WORK AS THE REPLACEMENT, PLEASE LET THIS WORK AS THE REPLACEMENT, PLEASE LET THIS WORK AS THE REPLACEMENT...
Hopefully it gets finished soon...

"Don't use gifs off Steam." -A wise man once said, untill he took a doge to the knee

Old July 8th, 2014 (08:16 PM).
カミツレ
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Mikekillkill:
My Sappy started buggig out... PLEASE LET THIS WORK AS THE REPLACEMENT, PLEASE LET THIS WORK AS THE REPLACEMENT, PLEASE LET THIS WORK AS THE REPLACEMENT...
Hopefully it gets finished soon...
I hope it gets finished soon too.
In all seriousness though, I've had a few things delay me on development. I just recently got a new computer, so I've been trying to get settled in there, and I also joined the speed hacking competition this week. After that, I'd like to think I'll have the free time for some programming.
Old July 8th, 2014 (09:15 PM).
Just Some Average Anthropomorphic Gallade

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to DJTiki
I'm patiently waiting, because I have some music that I want in my upcoming game c: and I won't start till I have it.

Got a knack in Hacking? Then you should probably click that picture. I'm still waiting....sooooooo nice weather isn't it?.

Links For All The Things:
DJTiKi's Guide To Planning Your Awesome ROM Hack! Planning For Dummies
The Idea Exchange Thread- Inspiring Bigger Things!
A (Very) Short Dictionary To ROM Hacking Lingo!
Old July 25th, 2014 (11:24 AM).

Hey, man, this thing still going good? I've been searching around for weeks, too, so I can't wait until it's done :)
Old July 25th, 2014 (01:34 PM).
カミツレ
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Fatih120:
Hey, man, this thing still going good? I've been searching around for weeks, too, so I can't wait until it's done
Yes, it's still going. These past few weeks I've been slowly reprogramming everything, because what I had before was a total mess. I think I will post an image or two as a preview soon.
Old July 25th, 2014 (01:58 PM).
Mistress of Midnight

Nature: Sassy
Yes, it's still going. These past few weeks I've been slowly reprogramming everything, because what I had before was a total mess. I think I will post an image or two as a preview soon.
Just would like to say I'm incredibly excited for this! Inserting music with Sappy is such a headache, and I have high hopes for your tool. ♥

. : | cast off the fleeting, transient world | : .
. : | FC: 5086-3361-9631 IGN: Azura | : .
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links