Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page What screw-ups while rom hacking make you the most mad?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old January 26th, 2014 (02:13 AM).
Unprofessional Unprofessional
Team Hoenn

Nature: Adamant
So, I make a lot of backups..like..a LOT.
Backups for little things, because I am extremely cautious, and nervous I might stuff something up BAD.

But the worst thing is..after a long edit, and many backups, I go to test the rom, and there's a BIG problem that wasn't in the rom before the long edit. And then I'm like...oh god, where did I go wrong?
Then I have to check EVERY BACKUP. It doesn't take that long, but its still annoying.
Live Pokedex (Y) Completed as of 02/03/14 (718), 10/11/14 (719)
Live Pokedex (OR) Completed as of 25/12/14 (719)
Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1 and ~RNC~

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
Old January 26th, 2014 (06:55 AM).
What happens if I push it?....
Team Johto

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by ShyRayq:
So, I make a lot of backups..like..a LOT.
Backups for little things, because I am extremely cautious, and nervous I might stuff something up BAD.

But the worst thing is..after a long edit, and many backups, I go to test the rom, and there's a BIG problem that wasn't in the rom before the long edit. And then I'm like...oh god, where did I go wrong?
Then I have to check EVERY BACKUP. It doesn't take that long, but its still annoying.
What I like to do, is make a back up and update the change log every time I make a change. It is more tedious, but it pays off huge in the long run.

Paired with Simba
Old January 26th, 2014 (08:15 AM).
The End is Near...
Team Kalos

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Near~
Well this really wouldn't be my fault but it makes me RAGE.
Spoiler:

When I am mapping and almost done i start adding the "Finishing Touch" and my laptop's mouse pad goes all over the place putting tiles EVERYWHERE Its nothing I can't fix but very annoying happens in 4/6 maps I make so its very frustrating, wouldn't you think?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old January 31st, 2014 (08:39 PM).
Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Team Johto

Nature: Gentle
One thing that I find really annoying about hacking is in reality mostly my fault. It's that I can't actually finish the game I'm working on. About every month or so I tell myself "This game is 100% complete!" and then I think of another city I want to add, or another update to move sets I want to make, or an upgrade to all the sprites or another feature I want to implement. I suppose there's nothing wrong with having a constantly updated game, but I wish I could just say "I'm finished!" and mean it.
"The human sacrificed himself, to save the Pokemon. I pitted them against each other, but not until they set aside their differences did I see the true power they all share deep inside. I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo
Old January 31st, 2014 (10:19 PM).
Team Kanto

It makes me rage that I can follow a tutorial perfectly, and obsess over it multiple times and yet still can't make a trainer battle me with certain pokemons...
So far I've had 3 errors
1, Purple'ish background when I spoke to him
2, He saw me :D he challenged me :DD but then it was a ? pokemon level 0, to which when I spoke to him after my game crashed
3, Red background when I spoke to him

I've tried different tutorials and I've also tried to do it my own way, its pretty damn depressing
Old February 6th, 2014 (02:42 AM).
Victoria Concordia Crescit
Team Kanto

Nature: Relaxed
Overwrited something without knowing it for a long time, have to go back many steps
Old February 12th, 2014 (12:59 PM).
☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Team Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
Well the most tedious thing for me is hex editing, but im pretty experienced with it now, but when I did start ROM hacking, I hated accidentally overwriting freespace and having to repoint it, then go BACK to all the tools I used the offset or FS in and change it. I learned now to make backups and note about every offset I use.
Old February 14th, 2014 (07:51 AM).
I need no introduction.
Team Sinnoh

Nature: Serious
One thing is for sure: when you make changes to a game, forget to make backups, try your hack out, and it crashes. You are then thinking to yourself "what did I do wrong", and then you are right back to square one. :/

The Get Together will be my final event here. I'm finished afterwards.
Old February 19th, 2014 (12:42 PM).
Formally 'Resultz' - Returned!
Team Kalos

Would have to be getting a rom and doing about 20 hours of mapping on it before playing it, and realising the rom doesn't even work.

PLEASE PM ME FOR INFO!
Old February 21st, 2014 (05:20 AM).
Author Of Tales
Team Sinnoh

Nature: Brave
Spending ages painstakingly editing a Pokémon's menu icons from scratch to discover when you finish it that it's ever so slightly off-centre... =|
Old February 21st, 2014 (01:46 PM).
RIP Konami 1969-2015
Team Sinnoh

Nature: Modest
Two things for me:
  1. Hexecute. Good lord is that program unstable. I'm afraid it could crash just by me looking at it in a mean way! The only reason I use it over A-Text is to look at the whole ROM for possible text to change, but even that advantage seems small.
  2. Item editing mistakes. There's so many things you have to add/change to get it right. Doing one of those steps wrong can resort in losing a substantial amount of time spent hacking if the damage is great enough.

Who says hacks have to radically changes things up from their base games?
Click Red to check out a "definitive" version of his adventure in Kanto!
Old February 23rd, 2014 (08:16 AM). Edited February 25th, 2014 by DrFuji.
Mew!
Team Hoenn

I think I get most annoyed when I type a beautiful level script... and it does not work... i rework the script maybe 5 times, each time it should work but it does not... finally i realize its cause A-map alters the 0000 to FFFF for the var number... after fixing that it works fine... then im sad cause my first script was much prettier than the condences altered and reworked script (works the same just looks worse) that is is now... :(

Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
What I like to do, is make a back up and update the change log every time I make a change. It is more tedious, but it pays off huge in the long run.
I dont actually keep a change log... my change log is my backup folder...

I have a folder where I toss all my backups...

say my game is called "Pokemon - SuperDuper.gba" after i change the title screen I toss a copy into the backups folder and call it "Pokemon - SuperDuper 01 title screen.gba" then i rework the first town called "green town" and toss a copy in the backup folder and rename it "Pokemon- SuperDuper 02 green town.gba"

this way I never lose track of which file has which changes... and i dont have to reference a file to figure out what "version 0.0175a" means
Old February 23rd, 2014 (11:20 AM).
Intermediate Scripter
Team Hoenn

Basically anything with the word "tile insertion" in it.

I swear, I would pay someone to insert as many tiles as possible for my hack...
Old February 23rd, 2014 (03:15 PM).
Creator of Pokémon: Discovery
Team Sinnoh
Crystal Tier

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by TraeDZN:
Basically anything with the word "tile insertion" in it.

I swear, I would pay someone to insert as many tiles as possible for my hack...
... Go on? ; )

Lol jk. If you need help with tile insertion, check out the link in my signature. A lot of people have said it has helped immensely.

Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
This sounds like a good idea but ever since I was introduced to github, I upload a lot if backups and instead of overwriting them just collect every one I've ever had plus a nice description of the changes I made

/// Pokémon: Discovery
/// Pokémon: Fat Kid
/// Tile Insertion Tutorial For AdvanceMap
/// Pokémon Emerald Specials Resource Thread
/// Pokémon Emerald Decapitalization Patch
/// Emerald Titlescreen Cloud Removal Tutorial
/// Tutorial For Fixing Any ROM-related Bug
Old February 23rd, 2014 (10:30 PM).
& having to receive it
Team Hoenn

It'd definitely have to be scripting (for me, of course). When I was still into ROM hacking few years back, I'd always make some mistake when writing scripts, and it'd take ages to finally find what was wrong; these moments would literally force me to pull my hair every time. Also used to have difficult time inserting tile-sets alongside, but thankfully, though, I managed to improve myself on it over time.
Old March 4th, 2014 (09:40 PM).
Sayounara
Team Johto

Nature: Lonely
Imputing the wrong scripts for dialogue. >.> Broken boxes and beautiful gibberish text is absolutely wonderful. not.
Also messing up with sprite replacement; making a missingNo-esque... Thing.

♬I am a little bit of loneliness a little bit of disregard
Handful of complaints but I can’t help the fact that everyone can see these scars
I am what I want you to want what I want you to feel
But it's like no matter what I do, I can't convince you, to just believe this is real♬
Old March 5th, 2014 (12:32 PM).
Don't Steal My Thunder
Team Hoenn

Nature: Quirky
Using a hex editor and my cat decides to walk over the keyboard.
Old March 6th, 2014 (02:53 AM). Edited March 6th, 2014 by Mr. Mind.
Team Johto

Nature: Careful
When i'm in my happy mood and i'm mixing some tiles together and making some adjustments to the colors and so on. And when they are finally ready and I'm inserting those tiles into my rom when i find out i have used 16 colors for my tiles. And thus have to erase 1 color and still make the tiles look good. And that can be a pain in the ass.

Or when I'm working and having trouble with something for a few weeks and when you are finally finished you find a way easier way of doing it on a random tutorial you are watching. It should make me happy that i found an easier way. But just the fact I lost some much time on doing something that wasn't really needed to be done in the hard way...
Old March 6th, 2014 (08:54 AM).
PKMN-Trainer
Team Sinnoh

When I create a huge script which took me so long to write and then test it just to realize that it doesn't works, then having to check EVERY BIT of it to see the mistake and because I had no idea what was wrong, importing the script again and again, each time with one little detail changed until I realize after an hour that I forgot ONE little letter at the beginning <.<

Also, I always make backups after a little change. But for a while NOTHING went wrong so I stopped making backups, but then EVERYTHING went wrong and I had to restart the whole ROM >.<

Hacks I'm working on:

Hacks I support:

Old March 8th, 2014 (06:54 PM).
Team Kalos

In my case, screw ups that make me really mad would be those times where you forget to put a waitmovement 0x0, or a lock command, and you run your hack on your emulator and panic when it doesn't work, and realize 30 minutes later that you forgot to put a simple command in. It's given me a lot of facepalm moments :p
Old March 8th, 2014 (08:10 PM).
Your average ROM hacker.
Team Kanto

Nature: Calm
The problem with me is that I make back ups, but don't look at what the name is then I overwrite the wrong patch.

So this happened:
I was working on my Blue hack, I had worked for a solid couple hours editing trainers and whatnot. I made a few backups. I finished the hack, then I needed a clean ROM so I could make the IPS patch. I got the ROM, then when I went to click make IPS patch on Lunar IPS, I clicked the edited rom by accident when selecting "use clean, unedited rom." Then when it said use edited file, I had used the un-edited ROM. then I saved. When I checked if it was alright, I died a little inside. I had to restart everything and that was just terrible.

Hacks I support:

Old March 9th, 2014 (03:28 PM).
Boggle
Team Sinnoh

Ugh, I've read a few posts on here, and it seems like forgetting to back up your rom is the most hated thing lol.

I was actually going to say that, too. Forgetting to back it up and then accidentally corrupting it is the worst feeling in the world...

+====================Supports====================+

+====================Supports====================+
Old March 24th, 2014 (10:42 AM).
deez nuts!!!1!!!1!!!1!!
Team Kanto
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Two things. One of them being when your rom gets messed up and you haven't made a backup in a while and you just go afdgskjasdghfkanlsdgfab!E!!EQRD.
The other thing, not really a screw up, is editing the stats, movesets, and everything for new mons.

Beta 1 is out! Click on the image to get it!

Hey guys, I'm really sorry to advertise here, but my friend's band just released a really good song, and I think I'd mean a lot to them if I shared it, so..

https://soundcloud.com/the-keys-to-lincoln-road/thinking-of-you-nana
Old March 24th, 2014 (02:19 PM).
Forebearer of Disasters
Team Johto

Nature: Quiet
I hate it when Mapping, you accidentally right click button on a different tile than the one you're working with, because it's so close to the one you're working with and you don't even notice, until you look back to see gaps mocking you

Hooray for human errors
Old March 29th, 2014 (05:00 PM). Edited March 30th, 2014 by DeliPunch.
Team Kanto

Nature: Modest
So I was editing TM 49 Snatches palette at one point, and I made the pointer for it 5 chars instead of 6 in the item editor included w/ GBAPGE, and then it went, KER-PLUNK, crash, and I was sad because it kept crashing when i tried to load the item. Thankfully, the bad pointer showed up when the error message popped up, so I was able to fix it manually in HxD. Best part is, it was on purpose; just to see what it would look like.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links