Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page Last album listened to.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old December 13th, 2013 (07:12 PM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lax
Only two (technically four) things necessary for this thread:
1. Post the name of the album, the artist, and album artwork of the last album you listened to.
2. Post commentary (can be as short as a simple sentence of your thoughts or as complex as a complete review of the album) on each song on the album.
Old December 14th, 2013 (07:09 AM).
should probably stop now

Nature: Naughty
I'll start, I guess. Everyone else cba.

Band: FUSS
Album: Behind Closed Doors

Honestly, the reason I'm listening to this is because I saw them live in London yesterday. The school I go to and the one the singer goes to are friendly rival types, so we ended up meeting and he's a top guy. Met quite a few other people last night as well :D
It's a top punk album. If you're into old-school Green Day (think Kerplunk/Dookie days), you'll be a fan of this. My favourite tracks are Break, Rise Again! and 92. (:

Can we make this into a small, unknown bands type thing to discover new music/support your scene? Everyone else with my taste posts the same 50 bands. xD
Old December 14th, 2013 (07:26 AM).
well
Gold Tier

Well, I'll go next then.

The Strokes - Is This It

By far my favourite album from any other album out there, and I just can't stop listening to it even after all this time. Just simple pure garage rock from the first track to the last, and I just can't pick out any favourites from it because I love every eleven songs in it. If I had to choose lessay five tracks though I guess they would be Someday, Last Nite, Hard To Explain, Alone, Together and Barely Legal. But in truth I like every song equally. It's just that good.
Old December 14th, 2013 (11:50 AM).
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
I can't find a decently sized picture of the album art, sorry. But the past few days, I've only been listening to the Catching Fire soundtrack. I'm probably gonna stop soon, cause I need other music now, or I'll get tired of it haha.

Anyway, I really like this soundtrack. The songs go really well with the story and the characters, especially Mirror, Capitol Letter, and We Remain. My favorites on the album are Atlas, Elastic Heart, Mirror, Who We Are, Devil May Cry, and We Remain. I don't really like Capitol Letter or Lean. Just not really hitting home for me. The others are just kind of stuck in the middle, lol. Still worth a listen though, whether your like The Hunger Games or not. Elastic Heart tho. <333

paired to klippy
Old December 14th, 2013 (12:07 PM).
Silver Tier

Artist: Agnes Obel
Album: Aventine

It's a pretty somber album as you might have been able to guess from the album artwork. Cellos and pianos and that kind of thing. It makes me feel I should be sitting at a frosted window looking out into a cold, windy landscape or walking through a dark forest. The singer has a voice that reminds me of a lot of different singers, but none in particular. She's got a nice voice though, and it suits the kind of music she makes. I found this when I heard the song The Curse and it was enough to make me seek out more.
Old December 14th, 2013 (06:21 PM). Edited December 14th, 2013 by Fairy.
ModeratorCSEO

Dan Deacon, Bromst

I adore this album. The specific song I have in mind is Wet Wings. It's absolutely thrilling, if not harsh on the ears. I love the fact that Deacon takes an existing folk song, and transforms is into something completely greater than the sum of its parts; without enhancing it or injecting any of the conventional ideas of a "remix". In the end, the song itself just becomes something so.. chilling and deep. I mean, I'm not a musician by any stretch of the imagination, but the harmonics combine so much so that they become their own harmonics, which in turn have subharmonics.
Quote:
The song "Wet Wings" is based entirely around a sample of an acappella rendition of the traditional folk song "The Day is Past and Gone" sung by Jean Ritchie. Deacon stacks multiple layers of Ritchie's haunting vocal loop on top of one another until there is a full choir of voices interlocking and blending with one another in an overwhelming wash of sound. It is something like a modern day version of a tape loop piece by Steve Reich but infinitely more approachable.
It's like listening to this album is an experience in itself, and that's part of why I like Dan Deacon so much. He's not trying to identify with his audience by writing lyrics about teenage angst at all. Most of his music is just intense exercises in the physics of sound and, being a music genius, professional classical composer, and Boston(??) Philharmonic drop-out, he's got the skill to pull off some incredible things.

I could go on, but that's enough. Dan Deacon's Bromst album is incredible.
Old December 14th, 2013 (06:25 PM).
an enigma worth puzzling over
ModeratorCSGTEO

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to LORD ANTE
Artist: Beyoncé
Album: Beyoncé

Her new album just dropped and I locked myself away and listened to the whole thing yesterday. Absolutely amaaaaaazing. My favorites are "Pretty Hurts," "Drunk in Love," "Mine," and "Superpower." I've listened to those repeatedly so I don't have high opinion of the others. XD; I just know all of the album is flawless regardless.
Old December 14th, 2013 (06:47 PM).
can I have a Pokepuff?
Gold Tier

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Poke Fox
Artist: Metasatöll
Album: Hiiekoda
additional Language: Estonian

album cover:
Spoiler:

My favorite band from Estonia, I loved their music since 2006 [album came out Dec 11th 2004] when I bought the album. It has good mixture of Metal instruments and the traditional Estonian music as well. Makes it great to listen too [even the bands official website has translation for the lyrics in both English and Finnish]. It's one album I never get tired of listening to over and over again.

Old December 14th, 2013 (06:57 PM).

I'm currently listening to The National's High Violet. I don't get the praise, but it's okay, it might grow on me.

Pokémon Pearl (Ultimate Leader Challenge - Jasmine)
2/8 Badges
Old December 15th, 2013 (06:44 PM).
Citrite, Lapis/Sapphire
Platinum Tier

EverlastWhitey Ford Sings the Blues

It's an old album, granted, but the lyrics in some of the songs are stunning. Specifically, the vibe I got from What It's Like and Ends really spoke to me; things got real when I first heard them.

We're a dedicated group of ROM hackers and are part of a loose-knit community. Come and join us, here or there!
Pokémon Citrite Version
Old January 3rd, 2014 (12:15 AM).
Be a role model
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to acatfrommars
Artist: Eminem
Album: The Matshall Mathers LP

I had to do dishes the other night at work, and my friend had this album on CD, so I listened to it while I worked. Really liked a lot of the tracks, but Eminem's new stuff is nowhere near as good as his last imo.

Sisters | Brother | Pairs
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links