The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 14th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
how is there not a thread on this yet omg IT WAS SO GOOD.

Have you seen this movie? What did you think of it if you did? Was it better than the first film? How did you like Cumberbatch in the role of Smaug? Are you excited to see it if you haven't already?
Old December 14th, 2013, 02:56 PM
«Chuckles»
I'm a self aware man, I'm also borderline narcissistic

Nature: Brave
We don't get it till Boxing day but please for the love of god do they say Smaug as in Sm-ow-g like the cartoon did XD. I cannot wait to see this movie I'm really looking forward to it but I am with family on boxing day OH NOES atleast I get presents hehe.

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old December 14th, 2013, 03:22 PM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
I saw it last night and thought it was great! Really cool to see Legolas, a familiar face. Also Tauriel, the female elf created just for the movie looks sooooo good lol.
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old December 14th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Gardevoir the Dragon Slayer

Nature: Relaxed
Saw it last night Loved it, tottaly different from the book. Tauriel is Amazing best Hobbit/LOTR Character even if shes not a Tolkien creation.
Old December 15th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
I'm apprehensive. The first movie was... how do the French say... terrible. It was quite honestly the most boring three hours of my life (and if it wasn't three hours, it sure felt like it). The trailers for the second one look better so as long as there are no more dinner party scenes shown in real time, it should be fine.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:16 PM
Driskull
a.k.a. Slimer Joel

I adore this movie.

Smaug is absolutely 100% my favorite film dragon of all time. Benedict Cumberbatch did a fantastic job with the voice.

Signature by TheDookieIsComing
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:08 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
I thought the pacing was much improved over the first one
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:11 AM
Bruce Banner
hi
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Banner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known As Shining Raichu View Post
I'm apprehensive. The first movie was... how do the French say... terrible. It was quite honestly the most boring three hours of my life (and if it wasn't three hours, it sure felt like it). The trailers for the second one look better so as long as there are no more dinner party scenes shown in real time, it should be fine.
Haven't seen it yet, but that's what I heard. My brother and I loved the first one, he went to see The Desolation of Smaug. He said it started off slowly, but sped up towards the end. I heard that it wasn't' as good as the first movie in The Hobbit trilogy. I personally thought a trilogy was too long for one book. I'll wait until the movie comes out on DVD.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:09 AM
Algo Fonix
oh god

It was way better than the first, but still seemed to continually remind me that it was still going.

I am a little undecided on how I feel about the changes that were made, but overall it was actually better than I anticipated.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:23 PM
Antemortem
my clique

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner
He said it started off slowly, but sped up towards the end.
That's how all of the Lord of the Rings movies are, really, but if the content doesn't actually flow properly the speed at which the movie progresses doesn't make it better. :( I can't make any swift judgement since I haven't seen the movie, but I might not even go see it until it's out on DVD so I can rent it for seven dollars cheaper than I could just going to see it. Considering the first movie, it might not even be worth the money or trip. :v
suggestions and stuff on my profile because i value you lovelies. xo
oras ... cm ... final oras team
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter

There's so much I loved about this movie that I'm afraid to spoil, so I'll put it in three spoilers if you have as much self-control as I do:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I really liked the depiction of the wood-elves. Thranduil is portrayed as very emotional, in contrast to Elrond and Galadhriel who were more aloof, even godlike. It makes sense for the wood-elves to have lost some of their wisdom and class over the centuries of isolation in Mirkwood. I also liked the design of Laketown, pitting it against the splendor of Gondor. While Gondor, ruled by the descendants of Numenor, has a Greco-Roman feel to it, Laketown is crowded and dirty, inspired more by Middle Ages England. These other depictions of the races we are already familiar with really fleshes out the diversity of Middle-Earth. Despite the relative isolation of Dale/Laketown and the Woodland Realm from the good vs. evil battle between the realms we saw in LOTR and Mordor, the War of the Ring conflict was written into The Hobbit pretty well, which goes to show how much of a threat Mordor posed to Middle-Earth.

The depiction of dwarven civilization was nothing short of awesome. The movie really drove hard to portray the ingenuity and industriousness of the dwarves, with their mechanized mining industry and furnaces. While the elves are the race closest to Eru Iluvatar and so have the advantage of his light and grace, the dwarves built their civilization from blood and sweat. The details we see in The Hobbit emphasize the magnitude of the loss of Erebor as well as Khazad-dum, and it helped me sympathize with how much they had fallen. The death of elves feels to me like a stain on purity but the loss of a dwarven kingdom feels more like collapse and closer to home as our own world is built by human ingenuity and hard work.

In addition to the artistic design and worldbuilding, The Hobbit as a movie was also good. While I went into the movie knowing that two-and-a-half hour would be a pretty long third of The Hobbit trilogy, the pacing was good - especially towards the end. The action scenes had me roaring with laughter and kept me gripping my seat just at a loss of what craziness would come forth next. Now The Hobbit, being an action-adventure epik, might not reflect Tolkein's intention as he wrote it, but it's good at what it's designed to be: an action-adventure epik. With that being said there were inconsistencies with the book that I felt were balanced out by their entertainment value, such as the whole Azog/Orc special forces subplot. Let's face it, Erkenbrand and the Red Arrow aren't nearly as exciting as Eomer and the warning beacons. There were also inconsistencies that I find hard to explain - such as the Nazgul being portrayed as being locked in tombs only 60 years before The War of the Ring as well as Gandalf getting captured by Sauron in Dol Guldur. I guess the only thing we can do about that is leaving it as a challenge for PJ to surprise us next later this year.

Overall, great movie I don't rate movies on a regular basis so I don't have a star system, but I was very satisfied with how it came out - I am excited for the finale.
Old January 8th, 2014, 02:33 AM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

I quite liked the second installment. It was definitely more action-packed. I agree, the dinner scenes were really tedious to watch. There were a few things that annoyed me though, mainly science-y things like
Spoiler:
how the metal plate Thorin was riding on didn't melt as he was surfing on the molten hot liquid gold. o.O

Other than that and a few other minor things, I really loved the scenes with Smaug. I watched it in 3D with a high frame rate and I felt as though I was actually there. Smaug sent shiver down my spine; those scenes were fantastic.
Old January 8th, 2014, 12:37 PM
markko

I saw it and I loved it, very good indeed.
Old January 10th, 2014, 11:44 AM
lozzop
koalas are cool :3

Nature: Quirky
Loved it, also liked the little Sherlock homes thing between Bilbo and Smaug, pretty epic film overall. It did last a little long, how they're going to make another film out of the book I have no idea, in the book about now, there's only about 10 pages left.
Old January 10th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Mystify
I'm so spooky

I loved it. In my opinion it was definitely better than the first one, it was faster paced and more interesting. When it ended I actually thought, "What? It's already over?"

Elves continue to make me feel like an out of shape, physically unfit loser. But in a good way.
Old January 11th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Sheerow
the Enlightened One

I saw the movie over Christmas break and to be honest... I didn't love it. Compared to the first film, (which I preferred) it felt like this one had too many unnecessary actions scenes and not enough of the characters actually interacting with each other. It never seemed like Bilbo, Gandalf and the dwarves had very many moments together. I wasn't a fan of (spoilers) how it turned out the orcs and Sauron were setting up for a war? A lot of the movie just felt like filler to have enough content for three films. One part I thought was silly was when they went through all that trouble to cover Smaug in gold, but then it just turned out they gave him some bling bling (which he should have kept on). And this is based on bias, but I just can't deal with Evangeline Lily. She did a really great job of making me hate Kate on Lost, and I can't put that past her haha (It's silly I know). But also that moment when she healed Kili was just so ridiculous. As for Smaug, I loved everything about him. Cumberbatch did a really good job, in my opinion.

"By force of will."
Old January 11th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Iqid Loopz
Hail HYDRA! Long live the SITH! Team LANNISTER!

Here's my take on it.

SPOILERS!!

Spoiler:
Overall better then the first. Everyone all agrees second is better. I presume.

IMO. Half way through the movie I realized it's not entirely about Bilbo. It was about Thorin taking back Erebor. Soooo the movie should be called Thorin Oakenshield at least. Biblo is the minor story arch and Thorin is the main arch. xD

Cumberbatch can play devious villains. Playing both Smaug and Sauron. I love the scene when Bilbo was wearing the ring and was in the dark side of the force. Invisible in front of Smaug. Then Smaug said the magic word,"Precious" making Biblo crap himself, and removing the ring literally in front of Smaugs eye ball. And all i said was "Oh you are screwed! RUUUUN!" Also the revealing on how the eye of Sauron was born. Made me go "Ohhhhh! *excited voice* wait...ohhhhhh... *Frightening voice* and messed Gandalf up. Poor, poor poor Gandalf. May his mind and his magic staff RIP after what it went through. All in all. Benedict Cumberbatch is a batch full of cumber.

The Elves. In a nutshell. When they said Mirkwood/Silvan elves were less wise and more destructively dangerous comparing to the Lothlorien Elves. They really meant it. Does anyone know why Thranduils face was rotting for a second while talking to Thorin? Also they were bad ass during the barrel scene, got their butts whooped before it though xD

Though the love triangle between Legolas, Kili, and Tauriel was odd...but I liked it xD

Bilbo was great! I really like how obsessive he is of the ring now. It's only a matter of time.

And the end...I watched it in a full auditorium...so this is how my experiance was at the end. When Biblo said "What have we done?" then a black screen with bass hit then Ed Sheeran - I See Fire and credits rolled in. Everybody gasped and pretty much said "No...NOO!" to "That's it?... :0" "Cliffhangers!!" "Damn you Peter Jackson!!" and I listened to the song deeply...it was depressing.

I cant wait for the last movie, excited for the Battle of the Five Armies.

When this trilogy ends. I hope P.J. consider doing a movie trilogy on the War of Wrath, you know, the end of the first age. Where Sauron was still alive and evil.The biggest war EVAR recorded. Hopefully leads up to the ring of power being created in the end (Well it did, but in movie wise).
Old January 12th, 2014, 02:28 AM
Airhead
Drop dead gorgeous

I LOVED IT!! NEW FAVORITE MOVIE!! <3

Mostly because of Legolas and the fact that he's sexy but that's beside the point, it was way better then the first and was totally kickass! C:

I could show you incredible things
Magic, madness, heaven, sin

Old January 12th, 2014, 07:25 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Nature: Gentle
I haven't seen this movie yet but i know the story and i know about it. Its a great film. There are some tiny mans and some phantom evils who fight for something ? right ?
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Orpheus
Fml

Nature: Calm
I loved it, It was better than the first one. The first one had horrible pacing but I still liked it, It could get boring though and none-the-less was entertaining especially, do I even have to say it? no, I don't...

The Desolation of Smaug Had far superior pacing, there was something absorbing you attention every second of the film, It was far more entertaining then the first. but I won't say anymore, but that I liked the ending. For those of you who HAVE ALREADY SEEN the movie then open the spoiler tab
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

The combat sequences were amazing. I mean the orks heads were flying left and right. And lets not forget those damn spiders, I hate spiders but those scenes just drew you in and made you feel like you were there.

I especially love the part where they enter sleepy mountain, Bilbo Baggins awakened Smaug, the special effects were so well done as gold and gemstones slide down the sides of his face and body then Bilbo dons the one ring.
Quote:
Were are you thief! I can smell you, I can hear you breath!
These moments just draw you In, they absorb you attention and make you want to keep watching.

While the ending was a HUGE cliffhanger
Spoiler:
(It just depicted Smaug flying toward the city
It set the stage SOOOOOOOO well for the next movie!

I would give the Desolation of Smaug a ten out of ten. The absorbed your attention LIKE A SPONGE and gave you everything you could want from a fantasy movie.

Pair

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links