Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Treehouse
Reload this Page Unconditional love.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Treehouse For the everyday ramblings of the masses.

Old December 14th, 2013 (11:18 AM).
Team Sinnoh
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lax
Are you capable of being someone who can love someone unconditionally?
Old December 14th, 2013 (11:41 AM).
Team Kanto

No. Life goes on, they say. Our circumstances may change to an extent that strains such matters. I think it would therefore be unwise to do or accept anything unconditionally.
Old December 14th, 2013 (12:20 PM).
has issues
Team Kanto

Nature: Naughty
Yes.

No.

Maybe.

I don't know.
Old December 14th, 2013 (02:43 PM).
more like uncommon sense
Team Johto

This is a difficult question to answer because there is no one definition of love. I'm willing to do anything for anyone if I cared about them enough, but that could fluctuate based on what our relationship is like at that time.

That said, I know for a fact that I would do anything for my parents. Just raising me is more than I can ever repay them for.
Old December 14th, 2013 (05:47 PM).
Emile Hersch turned 30 today. Who the hell is Emile Hersch?
Team Kalos
Platinum Tier

Nature: Adamant
No, all love is conditional. Katy Perry is a fool if she thinks otherwise.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 14th, 2013 (08:21 PM).
Team Unova

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by southpark32:
Yes.

No.

Maybe.

I don't know.
'Can you repeat the question? You're not the boss of me now...' wait you weren't singing were you? =P

Anyways a relationship with unconditional love is usually abusive or otherwise unhealthy, which saddens me. Love itself maybe hard to defined but unconditional is not. Pets will more often than not, love their owners unconditional, no matter how much they yell at, hit, or negligent them.

3Ds Friend code: 1778-9934-1564. Let me know and I'll add you back.
Grass Safari: Oddish, Sawsbuck and Gogoat.
Old December 14th, 2013 (08:41 PM).
Team Hoenn
Platinum Tier

I unconditionally love my dog and he loves me back . Oh, we're talking people? Hell naw. I've yet to meet someone who wouldn't abuse that trust, as darkredwing said. I've never loved another person so it's difficult to say, I could definitely feel that way for a moment of the most intense part of our relationship but deep down I know that nothing lasts forever and it is healthy to not get too attached. So nope, it will always be better to assess people rationally. I have been *cough* whipped *cough* completely obsessed with and ready to go to the end of the world for a girl before, sometimes I felt like a girl was the most important thing in my world but that judgement is very foolish, reality was I was just being a creeper to some popular person I had nothing in common with

Don't feel anything unconditionally, it will never work out.
Old December 14th, 2013 (10:13 PM).
Team Kalos
Platinum Tier

I'm waiting for someone with a child to come in and say they do believe in unconditional love, and then I'll roll my eyes harder than that time I had that demonic possession.

Old December 14th, 2013 (10:20 PM).
Team Hoenn
Platinum Tier

Nature: Serious
I believe in unconditional love. /shot
Old December 14th, 2013 (10:24 PM).
Shall we get down to business?
Team Kalos

Nature: Calm
Eh, Can't really say until that happens. Right now i don't love any one unconditionally.

X & Y friend code - 1418-6708-9370
Currently working on perfect Iv team- (Diggersby)
Old December 14th, 2013 (11:05 PM).
Team Hoenn
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Shining Raichu:
I'm waiting for someone with a child to come in and say they do believe in unconditional love, and then I'll roll my eyes harder than that time I had that demonic possession.
Guess you're not in the Dumbledore fan club then?
Old December 14th, 2013 (11:06 PM).
Team Kalos
Platinum Tier

I love Dumbledore, how dare you!

I don't love him unconditionally, but I do love him.

Old December 14th, 2013 (11:25 PM). Edited December 14th, 2013 by Aquacorde.
♥ maraala ♥
Team Unova

Nature: Bold
As I understand it, unconditional love is simply love that is freely given and not based on any requirements being met. It is not loving someone and glossing over their faults, it is loving someone while being aware of their shortcomings and loving them anyway. It is not required that the people I love do anything for me, love me in the same way, or love me at all. All categories of love can take an unconditional form- familial, friendship, romantic, what have you. And I don't think unconditional love equates to everlasting love. Just as other forms of love can fade with various causes of relationship deterioration, so can unconditional love. It can transform into conditional love and then maybe not love at all. And unconditional love can grow from conditional love as well.

My mom's more of a conditional love sort of person. I mean, she claims unconditional love toward her children but with anyone else- even her sisters and my stepdad- her love is based more on if they fulfil her requirements. She has more love to give to people who give something to her in return, whether it be kindness or helpfulness or something like that. She doesn't really have the time or patience to love people who don't give back. Also she has a hard time accepting people's inherent faults so there's that.

I think I'm an unconditional love person. I love people a lot. For no reason other than that they make me happy and it makes me happy to love them. I've loved people unconditionally and now no longer do, and that's fine. That's just how those relationships went. I love people unconditionally now that I probably won't in the future due to the changing nature of our lives etc. It's like... if I say "I love you" and you ask "why?" all I can say is "because." There is nothing specific you do to make me love you, and there's no real reason for me to love you. I just do. I think that's pretty much all there is to it.

But being aware of my general inclination toward unconditional love, I do kind of have to be wary not to gloss over people's faults or hurtful behaviour. I have to be able to recognize when a person is hurting me or others, if it's intentional or not, and call them out on that. I love people, but I would hate to be taken advantage of due to that.
Dwebble - #184
pairs - ama - gravity falls fc - minecraft
Old December 14th, 2013 (11:29 PM).
Furude
Team Sinnoh
ModeratorEO

Nature: Mild
I'm pretty certain I am capable of this. To paraphrase something I have actually said somewhat recently

"Even if for some reason you hated me I'd still love you"

(yes I know how sappy that is).

But yeah, I'm capable of that I think and I'm quite proud to say I'm one of the few people left who really can say that.

Edit: I really can't say it better than Anna did.

"All right. I'll play a game with this endless June."

Roleplay Theatre | The Underground |
Pairs
Lokiepie, Chalifoux & Crunch Punch
|
Blog
The Pie Bakery

Old December 15th, 2013 (12:01 AM).
chasing whimsies
Team Hoenn

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by Anna:
As I understand it, unconditional love is simply love that is freely given and not based on any requirements being met. It is not loving someone and glossing over their faults, it is loving someone while being aware of their shortcomings and loving them anyway. It is not required that the people I love do anything for me, love me in the same way, or love me at all. All categories of love can take an unconditional form- familial, friendship, romantic, what have you. And I don't think unconditional love equates to everlasting love. Just as other forms of love can fade with various causes of relationship deterioration, so can unconditional love. It can transform into conditional love and then maybe not love at all. And unconditional love can grow from conditional love as well.

My mom's more of a conditional love sort of person. I mean, she claims unconditional love toward her children but with anyone else- even her sisters and my stepdad- her love is based more on if they fulfil her requirements. She has more love to give to people who give something to her in return, whether it be kindness or helpfulness or something like that. She doesn't really have the time or patience to love people who don't give back. Also she has a hard time accepting people's inherent faults so there's that.

I think I'm an unconditional love person. I love people a lot. For no reason other than that they make me happy and it makes me happy to love them. I've loved people unconditionally and now no longer do, and that's fine. That's just how those relationships went. I love people unconditionally now that I probably won't in the future due to the changing nature of our lives etc. It's like... if I say "I love you" and you ask "why?" all I can say is "because." There is nothing specific you do to make me love you, and there's no real reason for me to love you. I just do. I think that's pretty much all there is to it.

But being aware of my general inclination toward unconditional love, I do kind of have to be wary not to gloss over people's faults or hurtful behaviour. I have to be able to recognize when a person is hurting me or others, if it's intentional or not, and call them out on that. I love people, but I would hate to be taken advantage of due to that.
If that's what unconditional love is then I'm definitely capable of it. I think it can relate to low self-esteem if it gets to the point where it's mainly one sided. I haven't been in a completely one sided relationship but I often care about loved ones more than the other way around. Sometimes to the point where I can't rationalize why I care about them so much. It sounds almost psychotic in a sense lol.
Old December 15th, 2013 (02:02 AM). Edited December 15th, 2013 by Starry Windy.
Keep smiling yo~
Team Unova
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
I believe that loving unconditionally means accepting and caring to anyone for who they are, despite of knowing that they make mistakes. Even though loving someone unconditionally is hard at some point, I'll try my best to be capable to do it. This kind of love sure takes dedication, and if we can love someone unconditionally, it'll worth it at the end, because it's one of the greatest love.
Old December 15th, 2013 (03:39 AM).
My Strong Resolve
Team Hoenn
Crystal Tier

Nature: Gentle
I have a very deep capability for loving unconditionally. Deep down I love anyone who I get really close to unconditionally. That's an immutable part of who I am. However, I do not let that cause me grief. As hurtful as it may be to distance myself from someone who is causing me harm, I can do it quickly if the situation warrants it and keep them away for as long as it is necessary with only a little regret.

Love, unconditional or not, is not something I've ever learned to equate to trust. Trust in and of itself is a separate thing entirely in my books, and while it can be linked with certain forms of love as a reason for increased trust, it does not come as a part of love.

As someone who is fairly different from what most people might consider normal, a ridiculously subjective term in my opinion, I tend to be pretty accepting of people generally anyways. So an Unconditional Love isn't really a long stretch for my personality. I tend not to be as assertive in person, and can adapt to a fair number of personalities, save for a select few types that clash violently with my own.

That said, I don't just fall head over heels into love with everyone nice that I meet. That's far too messy even for me. But there are, on some rare occasions, people who simply steal my heart by being the great people that they are. If I find that I do indeed mesh with that person well, I will let myself fall as deeply into love as my heart wishes, but do so silently. The hard part is always the initial crush phase, so I get it out of the way as quickly as I can. This is so I can properly ascertain the nature of my attraction, analyze it properly once my feelings have been dealt with, and have had time enough to cool so that I can think clearly about it.

Once the initial phase is over, I usually know exactly how and why I love them. It's not always "Unconditional" love. I'm as human as anyone else, and I have my own desires as well, so practical reasons are no less legitimate than emotional ones.
Old December 15th, 2013 (08:50 AM).
Back to PC~
Team Unova
Silver Tier

Quote:
I'll roll my eyes harder than that time I had that demonic possession.
I just died a little. Best thing I've seen so far today.

I really don't know, to be honest. I prefer to hide from relationships, so I can't answer very well from that aspect, and I've never been in a situation that would test such an idea for family. The only time anything has occurred that completely destroyed any type of friend/acquaintanceship/etc. was with someone who I didn't know real well.
I guess it could be possible, but that's really all I can say.
Old December 15th, 2013 (09:08 AM).
Banned
Team Unova

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
AHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

No... this "Unconditional love" doesn't exist in my eyes outside of romantic fairy tales. One can't really fall in love with someone without a reason. Anybody who thinks otherwise is either wearing their heart on their sleeve, or is the biggest liar in the face of this planet.
Old December 31st, 2013 (04:30 PM).
Be a role model
Team Unova
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to acatfrommars
I don't think so. I think you can choose to love someone, or not. I may be wrong though, my answer may change in ten years.

Sisters | Brother | Pairs
Old January 3rd, 2014 (09:36 PM).
Team Kanto

Quote originally posted by Blade_of_darkness:
Anybody who thinks otherwise is either wearing their heart on their sleeve
What do you mean there?
Old January 3rd, 2014 (11:15 PM).
Alcoholic Renegade
Team Sinnoh
Gold Tier

Nature: Modest
absolutely! my one dream in life is to find true love, yeah i'm a man and that's what i want and i won't lie about it. so once i meet that person i will love them unconditionally and any relationship I'm in up until that point will be the same, once i know i love that person that is.
shiny hatching value - 2978

Old January 4th, 2014 (07:03 PM).
♥ maraala ♥
Team Unova

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by Bruce Banner:
I don't think so. I think you can choose to love someone, or not. I may be wrong though, my answer may change in ten years.
Well, going by my interpretation, you can certainly choose who you love unconditionally. It's about the way you love them, not who you love. So you can choose to love someone, right, and that love may be dependant on them doing something for you or giving some part of their life to you. Or that love could be unconditional and you love them for them, not for what they give to you. If that makes sense.

Thinking about it, it seems like the type of love given to fictional characters and celebrities often could fall into unconditional territory. Right?
Dwebble - #184
pairs - ama - gravity falls fc - minecraft
Old January 5th, 2014 (05:56 AM).
Wild Duck Pokémon
Team Kalos
Gold TierCS

Nature: Impish
Sort of. You can break that unconditional love so it's technically not unconditional, but that's rare. Most things that are a problem I try to resolve with that person instead of stop loving them, because usually it's just not worth it. If they were doing something truly terrible like raping people or drowning puppies I'd probably be the first one to report them to the authorities, but I just don't see the people that I'm close to like that doing that.
Old January 5th, 2014 (08:05 AM).
Team Kanto

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
I don't know if I can answer this topic. I've never been close enough with anyone to love them unconditionally. Even my own parents; essentially my love for them can be stripped back to whether or not they feed me and keep a roof over my head.
To be unconditionally in love with someone sounds like a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. Once you give someone leverage you can be damn sure they'll use it for whatever agenda they have with you.

Perhaps my pessimism towards nobility of people is why I set my standards so high, it's my defence mechanism against other me's I suppose.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links