Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old January 1st, 2014 (12:10 AM).
Flakey Bear
Just watch it.

Nature: Relaxed
Got this idea from another forum, so i think it should be good to post it here.

Basically, post a type of music or band you like and someone will suggest a band/artist for you! Or post some good bands/artists you know to make the others heard.

For example, i say that i want good punk bands and someone suggests The Offspring and provides a link for their music. Simple as that.

The Useless Line: Let the suggestions begin.

Currently Playing (PC):
Euro Truck Simulator 2. Still have to get past the quick jobs.
Currently Playing (DS):
FIFA 09, or Pokemon Diamond because Battle Corner.I should insert more.
Old January 30th, 2014 (05:31 PM).
Zoro
hi
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Zoro
You all should check out Explosions in the Sky or some of Mogwai music. It's really relaxing music which help you think or just relax. Sometimes I need to calm down because I can't sleep and this helps. Also I enjoy listening to it while perusing the forums.
Old January 30th, 2014 (05:55 PM).
pompayyy
Forever and Ever

For the indie crowd, try the Velvet Underground. You won't be dissapointed.

Pink Moon is on its way.

Old February 4th, 2014 (06:09 PM).
Demon Wolf
American Wolf

Nature: Naughty
Try ACDC, Eminem, Mike jackson, bon jovi,

FRIEND CODE: 4141-4768-1924

Welcome to the hoenn region I am professor birch the creepy old man with creepy questions
Old February 4th, 2014 (07:03 PM).
Talon
The Blade's Shadow

Nature: Hasty
How about Downplay? They are really good, but haven't had much publicity.
Kamelot? I've never heard of any other orchestral metal band.
Marianas Trench? They mix electronic and pop-rock together. It works.
Falling In Reverse? Some of you probably already know them, but for those of you who don't, think of them as a mix between Pierce The Veil, and Blood On The Dance Floor. BOTDF is horrible, yes, but FIR makes it sound good.
Story Of The Year? Not much to say, other than, they are good.
There For Tomorrow? Another really good rock band that gets little to no publicity.
Young the Giant? I know, they are popular, but still. Listen and learn.

I would say Black Veil Brides, but people know them, or have at least heard about them, and chances are, if you've heard about them, it's been bad, and I have no chance to change your mind. Black Veil Brides is a very good band, even though they are emo-rock. Don't judge them just from what others have told you about them.

"Eventually, my blades will find their way into your heart."
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."

Old February 15th, 2014 (06:16 AM).
Controversial?
should probably stop now

So I know pretty much every single band that's been suggested on this list (bar Downplay), so I'm gonna change this formula a little to promoting kind of unknown or local music. Would be more interesting IMO

I'll start things off with this experimental pop song a guy I know made. Idk how I'd classify it, honestly, but just give it a listen if you're into like the more avant-garde side of pop.
https://soundcloud.com/vaunce/valentine
Old February 16th, 2014 (03:25 PM). Edited February 16th, 2014 by CarcharOdin.
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

For all of you metalheads-in-the-making here on PokeCommunity, I have a list here I've saved in my notepad. Hope you find something that suits you:

Spoiler:
Quote originally posted by CarcharOdin:
Comprised here is a list of bands and albums I've listened to or have that I or someone else has recommended. This isn't really a "best of" or anything like that, it's just a long of stuff I've listened to. It covers a wide array of subgenres, here's the key:

[Band] Album or comments about albums (Genres)

Quote:

[Black Sabbath] – Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Masters of Reality (Classic metal)

[Judas Priest] – British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance, Painkiller (Classic metal, speed metal)

[Motorhead] – Icon (Speed metal)

[Venom] Welcome to Hell (Extreme speed metal)

[Queensryche] Operation Mindcrime (Trad metal/Progressive metal); FANTASTIC ALBUM

[Death] – any, but Scream Bloody Gore and Human are good places to start (Death Metal early career, progressive/tech-death metal later career) NOTE: These guys are credited as the very first death metal band

[Carcass] Heartwork (Melodic death metal)

[Dark Tranquility] Damage Done (Melodic death metal)

[Lost Horizon] – A Flame to the Ground Beneath (Power metal/progressive metal)

[Sonata Arctica] – Reckoning Night (Power metal)

[Iced Earth] The Blessed and the Damned (U.S. Power Metal/some Thrash metal)

[Cradle of Filth] Midian (Extreme gothic metal)

[Wolves in the Throne Room] Black Cascade, Celestial Lineage (U.S. Atmospheric black metal)

[Emperor] In the Nightside Eclipse, IX Equilibrium (Symphonic black metal)

[Metallica] anything from the 80’s (Thrash metal)

[Prong] Beg To Differ, Prove You Wrong, Cleansing (B.T.D is thrash metal, the other two are groove metal)

[Pantera] anything from 1990 to 2000, especially Vulgar Display Of Power (Groove metal)

[Exhorder] Slaughter in the Vatican, The Law (Groove Metal/thrash metal)

[Machine Head] any except The Burning Red and Supercharger; I highly recommend Burn My Eyes, The Blackening, and Unto The Locust(Groove metal/thrash metal)

[Slayer] Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, Divine Intervention (Thrash metal)

[Rhapsody] – Tales from the Emerald Sword Saga (Symphonic power metal)

[Nightwish] – anything with Tarja Turunen on vocals (Symphonic metal w/female vocals)

[Symphony X] Paradise Lost (Progressive Metal)

[Dream Theater] Images & Words, Awake, Metropolis Pt2 (Progressive metal); A Change Of Seasons is their best song, IMO.

[Tystnaden] Sham of Perfection (Gothic metal w/female vocals)

[Nevermore] This Godless Endeavor (Progressive groove metal)

[Sepultura] any with Max Cavalera on vocals except Roots. Dante XXI and The Mediator are also great albums. (Thrash metal/death metal early material; later material is groove metal)

[A Storm of Light] And We Wept the Black Ocean Within (Post-metal/doom metal)

[High On Fire] Snakes of the Divine, De Vermis Mysteriis (Stoner metal/sludge metal)

[Mastodon] Leviathan (Progressive sludge metal)

[Bolt Thrower] anything from War Master onwards (Death metal)

[Mayhem] De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (Black metal)

[Drudkh] Autumn Aurora, Eternal Turn of the Wheel (Atmospheric black metal)

[Overkill] Ironbound, i hear Horrorscope is amazing too (Thrash metal)

[Saint Vitus] Mournful Cries (Doom metal)

[Iron Maiden] Number of the Beast, Powerslave (Traditional heavy metal)

[Kamelot] The Black Halo (Symphonic power metal)

[Black Breath] Sentenced to Life (kind of a genre mix of Black metal/speed metal/crust punk/hardcore punk/death metal instrumentally, vocalist screams a lot, so this might not be for you)

[Kreator] Pleasure to Kill (Thrash metal/extreme metal)

[Fear Factory] Demanufacture, Obsolete (Industrial groove metal/some thrash and death influences)

[Vader] Litany (Death metal)

[Amon Amarth] With Oden On Our Side, Twilight of the Thunder God, Surtur Rising (Melodic death metal)

[Heaven & Hell] The Devil You Know (Traditional heavy metal/probably a little doom metal)

[Razor] Violent Restitution (Thrash metal)

[Taake] Nattestid Ser Porten Vid (Black metal)

[Destruction] Eternal Devastation (Thrash metal)

[Meshuggah] Destroy Erase Improve (Experimental extreme metal/progressive metal/groove metal)

[Agalloch] Pale Folklore (They’re a mix of Folk metal, post-metal, black metal, doom metal, and various other subgenres)

[Eluveitie] Everything Remains As It Never Was (Folk metal/melodic death metal)

[Enslaved] Mardraum (Black metal/progressive metal)

[Byzantine] ...And They Shall Take Up Serpents (Groove metal/progressive metal)

[Immortal] Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism (Black metal)

[Prostitute] Vaginal Hell Demos (Sludge metal/stoner metal)

[Candlemass] Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (Doom metal)

[Soulfly] Dark Ages, Conquer, Enslaved (Groove metal/thrash metal)

[Ministry] Rio Grande Blood (Industrial metal/thrash metal)

[Overkill] Horrorscope (Thrash metal)

[Fool's Game] Reality Divine (Power metal/groove metal?)

[Vektor] Black Future (Progressive thrash metal/some black metal influences)

Here are also some bands albums that I either haven’t gotten around to listening to yet or haven’t listening to much (a problem I need to correct ASAP), but I’ve had recommended from friends of mine:

[Neurosis] Times of Grace (Post-metal)

[Brocas Helm] Defender of the Crown (Power metal); haven’t listened to the entire thinig, but“Cry of the Banshee” is an AWESOME song

[Electric Wizard] Dopethrone (Sludge/stoner metal)

[Possessed] Seven Churches (Death metal)

[Incantation] Infernal Storm (Death metal)

[Ne Obliviscaris] Portal of I (Extreme progressive metal/melodic death metal)

[Down] NOLA (Sludge metal)

[Satyricon] Nemesis Divina (Black metal)

[Deicide] Legions (Death metal/thrash metal)

[Morbid Angel] Blessed Are the Sick (Death Metal)

[Vio-lence] Eternal Nightmare (Thrash metal)

[Saviour Machine] Savior Machine (Gothic metal)

[Evergrey] Glorious Collision (Progressive power metal)

There’s a lot more I can probably recommend, but this should be a good place to start. Some of these might be a bit abrasive to you at first, but you might come to appreciate them as I did if you let them grow on you. I don’t want to color your opinion, though. Find something that fits. And if you like it, searching for similar artists on Google can broaden your horizon.

Here are also a few websites I can recommend for more info on genres and bands; you can look these up on Google:

- Encyclopedia Metallum (the forums/users can be annoyingly elitist so I don’t have an account on there, but if you’re looking for bands or confirmation on whether or not something is actually “metal”, this is the best place to go. Take their reviews with a grain of salt, though, some of the users are EXTREMELY biased)

- Map of Metal

- Blabbermouth.net

- Metal Sucks (don't let the name fool you; it's a fan site)

- MetalBandCamp: http://metalbandcamp.com/ (They have legit free downloads offered by some bands; others require payment)

- TV Trope’s Useful Notes on Heavy Metal [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/HeavyMetal]

- and any articles on TV Tropes linking to specific subgenres.
Hope this helps.

My Proposed PokeCommunity Dungeons & Dragons game. Leave a comment if interested.
Old February 17th, 2014 (08:52 AM).
MathewCS

for all of those who likes new punk /pop-rock music, i recommend you The All-American Rejects

COUNTER STRIKE 1.6 REPRESENT!
CHILE <3 <3
Old February 18th, 2014 (08:24 AM).
Controversial?
should probably stop now

...Okay, maybe I'll expand my scope to further out than just local. It's a bit pretentious IMO

Anyone here heard of Marmozets? They're a new act signed to Roradrunner, they're quite heavy rock (they used to be like math-metal and all that, but they've changed their style quite a bit) and I've seen them live like three times. Plus their lead singer omg

And if that sorta heavy stuff isa bit too much for you, I'd recommend you check out Altered Sky; another band I've seen live, their sound I'd say is similar to Paramore or We Are The In Crowd (both of which I've also seen live )

If you're into sorta indie blues-rock in the vein of like The White Stripes, I'd also check out Coroner for the Police. Haven't seen them live, but they've got one hell of a sound, even though they're not really well-known at all.

If indie's more your type of thing, I'd recommend checking out Bengal Lancers; they've got a very indie sound, but IMO it sounds kind of fresh. I saw them live at The Water Rats and they're pretty damn good.

I'd also recommend a little band from London called Amaryllis; it's hard to pinpoint their exact sound IMO but it's kind of alternative rock with influence from bands like Young Guns and that. (not like I saw them live and see the lead singer all the time or anything gawd )

That enough to keep you guys busy?
Old March 16th, 2014 (10:53 AM).
AoTora

Nature: Calm
Skillet, Michael Jackson and Linkin Park There are some other singers/band I cannot remember on top of my head right now but I will post them in here once I remember some other cool singers and bands (:

Do what you believe in and believe in what you do. All else is a waste of energy and time ~ Nisargadatta.

Love is the only power that can change an enemy into a friend. ~ Martin Luther King.

I am a fan of Criminal Minds, Crossing Jordan and some other series. I am also Harry Potter fan and Disney fan (I love Frozen!) - I also like other animes beside Pokemon.
Old March 16th, 2014 (07:24 PM).
Mittens95

For those who want the best music for relaxing, I recommend Iron and Wine
Old March 31st, 2014 (07:32 PM).
Sonata
I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby
Community Supporter

Metal: Amon Amarth is my favorite. They're "viking metal" meaning their songs follow norse mythology.

Rap/hip-hop: I prefer some of the more underground artists, Aesop Rock, Lowkey, and Immortal Technique are real good.

If you're looking for something sweet and nice I'd say Frank Sinatra obviously.

Particularly favorite songs by these bands are:

Amon Amarth - Live for The Kill (there be an epic violin solo in here)
Frank Sinatra - Umm yea anything by this guy
Lowkey - Dreamers
Immortal Technique - You Never Know
Aesop Rock - Gopher Guts
Old April 12th, 2014 (01:29 PM).
Talon
The Blade's Shadow

For Post-Hardcore fans I recommend you - Falling In Reverse, The Used, Crown The Empire, Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!, Chiodos, and Story of the Year.

For rap-metal fans I recommend you - Thousand Foot Krutch, Slipknot (You should already know, but just in case.), Papa Roach (You should already know, but ya know, just in case.),

For BOTDF (God help us all....), I know this band, that you probably know, called Falling In Reverse. They're much better (In my opinion), and are much more publicly accepted. You won't get hated on for them. Just sayin'

For metalheads I have for you - Raintime, In Flames, Lordi, Static-X, and Kamelot.

For single songs, I have:
What If - Five for Fighting
The Last Night - Skillet
Transpose - Bad Suns
Backseat Serenade - All Time Low
Beat It - Raintime (Possibly greatest cover, ever?)
ULTRAnumb - Blue Stahli
The Worst Of Them - Issues
Sleep - Downplay
Alley Cat - Seventh Wonder
Bulletproof - Family Force 5 (Another great cover.)
Where Did The Angles Go - Papa Roach

I have a LOT more, but I'll just end it there.

"Eventually, my blades will find their way into your heart."
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."

Old April 12th, 2014 (01:49 PM). Edited April 12th, 2014 by maccrash.
maccrash
p.s. you rock my world

Send a message via Skype™ to maccrash
y'know, if you're into post-hardcore then you should check out:

At the Drive-In - that chorus man. sounds euphoric, and loud.
Hüsker Dü - probably the original post-hardcore group, from the Eighties Matie. borderline hardcore, but more melodic and longer.
Refused - self-important and pretentious as all hell but it rocks.
Fugazi - Ian MacKaye (of Minor Threat fame) tries his hand at songs that are longer than a minute long. succeeds.
Slint (debatable as to whether or not they're post-hardcore, but close enough) - so, this is technically math rock/post-rock, but it's not the post-rock that you probably think of first. it's jaded, it's angry, it's twisted, it's filthy. but it's really great, and this is probably in my top 10 favorite albums ever.
and if you really want to be an official tumblr-music-loving-person then La Dispute - tumblrcore at its finest, as I hinted at before. this one's pretentious too, and angsty, but it works somehow. borderline spoken word, even.

in my opinion post-hardcore like Falling in Reverse isn't really post-hardcore and is a watered down, scenester-approved version of an exceptional genre. of course, this is just my opinion, so please don't get mad at me ):

if anyone else would like to get into some other genre but they don't know where to start, feel free to page me. I love recommending music to people, and I like to think I know a decent amount about it.
Old April 13th, 2014 (01:21 AM).
Apollo
誰か

I want to reccommend Me First And The Gimme Gimmes. They are a band who covers old songs such as Uptown Girl, Auld Lang Syne and I Will Always Love You, however, these covers are arranged in a punk rock style. :)
Old April 13th, 2014 (02:45 AM).
Nauje
A sofa in San Tropez...
Community Supporter

Like old school in-your-face kinda punk rock? Cerebral Ballzy is pretty good at that. They have a new album coming out this year and though their debut one was pretty short it's also pretty darn good.
Old April 15th, 2014 (09:34 PM).
pompayyy
Forever and Ever

Well then, I guess there's this somewhat obscure prog-rock band called Gentle Giant. They're super cool.

Pink Moon is on its way.

Old April 17th, 2014 (08:02 PM).
Harmonious Fusion
there are no lovers, only destroyers

Nature: Bashful
You like the music from the Ar tonelico and Surge Concerto series, chances are you'll like Kaoling. She's a Vocaloid producer whose work bears many similarities to Akiko Shikata's stuff.

As for myself, I'm looking for artists similar to Yousei Teikoku, if anyone has any suggestions.

Old April 18th, 2014 (04:10 PM). Edited April 18th, 2014 by JaredJEstes.
JaredJEstes

I want to suggest Wu Fei - she is a Chinese artist who makes some beautiful avant-garde and traditional pieces!

Also,
I made a bunch of DIY style cd's for a few of Tongue & Groove Records WA releases. These are purely for fun. I love playing fast folky style music, so if you want a couple CD's feel free to message/post here. I just want to share/will mail for free. etc..

Listen here:
Old April 18th, 2014 (06:35 PM).
Sonata
I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby
Community Supporter

If you like rap/hip-hop I'd like to recommend Snowgoons and Necro. Necro is actually good for metalheads too because they classify themselves as "Death Rap". It's some good stuff.
Old April 21st, 2014 (05:50 AM).
Arrow
I'd like to be a tree :3

Nature: Jolly
Two bands that I don't see much publicity of are Deaf Havana and Icon for Hire. Both are fantastic bands that have a rock-flare in them.

For Deaf Havana, the song I'd recommend listening to in order to get into them would be either Anemophobia or Friends Like These.

For Icon for Hire I'd like to say Make a Move, Off With Her Head or Up in Flames. You also have to keep up with their vocals as the lead singer, Ariel, sings pretty fast.

Another band I want to recommend would be Halestorm. They're getting popular but I would still like to mention them. They're my favourite band.

Recommended song: I Miss the Misery/ I Get Off/ Here's to Us

Friend Safari: Grass - Tangela, Sawsbuck, Quilladin
Shinies: Luvdisc (X), Clawitzer (X), Poliwhirl (X), Foongus (X), Dialga (X), Palkia(X), Giratina (X), Sneasel (X), Mawile (X), Lillipup (X), Cyndaquil (SS)

Old April 21st, 2014 (08:29 PM).
Salamence62
you're gonna hear me rawr :3

if you like rock, check out Alkaline Trio.

it's a really cool band with music that is gonna rock your mind! :D

try listening to Sadie and Mercy Me. :p

It takes two to tango
Old April 21st, 2014 (08:34 PM).
The Void
The Scientific Method

Nature: Calm
If you like alternative rock, Imagine Dragons is the best there is, if you haven't heard of them.

Mainstream rock? Go listen to Coldplay.
Old April 21st, 2014 (08:45 PM).
Vincent
It's not a bad thing ;D

Nature: Bashful
If you're a metalhead like moi, I highly reccomend you to try ISSUES, Our Last Night, The Animal In Me (Girl Fronted ;D), Curses, Jamie's Elsewhere, dangerkids (Old Linkin Park style), Me in a Million, Horizons, Forget Tomorrow, Whether I, Incredible Me, Secrets, Hollow Like Me, Like Vultures and Chomp Chomp Attack!...but I have different genres so...

If you're into Dubstep/EDM i just recommend you to search the Monstercat channel on youtube. It's perf..

Poppy kind of Rock Bands:
All Time Low(HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), Magic!, The Vamps, Artist Vs Poet, 5 Seconds of Summer, We Are The In Crowd, Tonight Alive, Lawson, Get Scared, The Cab, R5, Rixton, Divided By Friday, The 1975, We the Kings and Bleach Blonde

Pop:
Big Time Rush ;D , The Ready Set, Breathe Carolina and Taylor Thrash

Leave your LOVE at the door.
Leave your heart on the
floor.
And if you leave your heart on the floor.
Leave your tears let em' pour.

Old April 27th, 2014 (08:37 AM).
Gible
Y L I E S S E
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Thy King Slate:
If you're into Dubstep/EDM i just recommend you to search the Monstercat channel on youtube. It's perf..
Proximity, MrSuicideSheep, and NCS are also really good!

Sponsored Links