The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 1st, 2014, 12:18 AM
Shiny Quagsire
I like .short's because they're comfy and easy to wear.

Nature: Jolly
Map Editor of Happiness
A new tool for a new and glorious year in hacking.

Announcing the glorious arrival of the first ever cross-platform and open-source map editor for Generation III games written by Shiny Quagsire and interdpth

Why?
We're going to put it nice and simple: Because AdvanceMap sucks. It always has, and it always will. AdvanceMap is the classic example of a tool that is the equivalent of Windows: People only use it because it's the only option that is supported widely. Once AdvanceMap overcame EliteMap nobody bothered to make a better map editor. That is, until two months ago. Like many glorious hacks, it started as an idea bounced around in RomHack.me's IRC. Then Linkandzelda made his titlescreen tool using Java and that got the ball rolling. I decided to make an LZ77 decompression tool and from there I decompressed graphics. Then one thing led to another and we had a map editor.

But that aside, why should you use MEH? Well, we have two words to answer that. Open Source. This means that is someone has a cool ASM hack such as karatekid552/Jambo51's 649 patch and they want to add support to MEH for all those extra Pokemon, they can take the code for MEH and implement it. Want to add Day/Night support? You can do that. Day/Night Pokemon? Sure. 3 Layer Tile Hack? Easy.

With MEH we are striving to create the ultimate map editor for all Generation III games. And to do this we are also adding support for plugins. Currently plugins are in a beta state but as the tool develops instead of redownloading an entirely new version of MEH you can just update individual plugins, even automatically, thus making it more expandable than ever.

Features
  • Cross-Platform Support - Works on any OS that can install Java. Period. (Linux users rejoice!)
  • Faster load times - Loads maps in seconds!
  • Threaded loading - No more freezing, no more pain.
  • Intuitive yet friendly interface - Fixes what was broken while keeping what worked
  • Revolutionary connections editor - Connection editing has never been easier! Now all it takes is a click and a drag to adjust connections, and edits are even mirrored onto opposite connections!
  • Lack of Leaf Green and Sapphire support - Because we never liked them anyways. Actually we're just lazy...
  • Safe freespace finding - No more corruption in Emerald, no mess in Fire Red, just safety and peace of mind.
  • And more to come!

What's Missing So Far...
  • A place to edit settings
  • Removing Connections
  • NPC editor is slightly bugged
  • A few small things I keep forgetting to fix
  • Anything else I forgot to remember

Glorious Screenshots

Disclaimer and Downloads
Slow down there feller, this thing isn't stable yet. It could explode in your face and kill your grandmother. It could murder your family. It could do all sorts of things. Which is why you must agree to the following disclaimer for the duration of this tool's open testing period:

WARNING: THIS TOOL IS IN AN OPEN ALPHA AND WHILE IT IS SUITABLE FOR USE, IT MAY OR MAY NOT BLOW UP IN YOUR FACE AND/OR RUIN YOUR ROM. WHILE USING THIS TOOL, MAKE BACKUPS OFTEN OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES...

That aside, feel free to download and try out MEH. Bug reports are welcome and will aid in the development and maturing of MEH

ZIP Download
Source Code

Other than that, have a happy new year!

Last edited by Shiny Quagsire; July 9th, 2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:09 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
What a meh tool this one is. :D

Anyway, I really really REALLY love the [Connection] tab. Very lovely. :D

Can't wait for a more un-meh version of the tool. :3

G'luck~
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:39 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Yay! It's about time for an open source map editor for Generation III! LU-HO's AdvanceMap will be history, because it was never open-source and LU-HO has disappeared, his website has gone down and everything, assuming that he probably might've died in real life or that he might have just moved on and forgotten about ROM Hacking entirely.

Anyways, yay! I'm sooo looking forward to MEH improving, it will one day get to the stage of supporting LeafGreen and Sapphire as well as any type of game code, even custom game codes! ^^

We really should host the source code on some website like SourceForge, so then we can help improve MEH and make it become the best Generation III map editor ever to be made!

Maybe one day once I've learned programming, I might contribute to MEH. ^^

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!

Last edited by Platinum Lucario; January 1st, 2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old January 1st, 2014, 03:26 AM
Kakarot1212
Awesome as always...

Nature: Naughty
So, this is still in alpha stage? So that alone, makes AMap better than MEH this time around.
I'll download this as soon as the stable version will be released.
As of now, AMap is more suitable for Hacking :D

Oh, and one question, what makes MEH better than Lu-Ho's AMap? =)

楓 弘詩
“ Programs must be written for people
to read, and only incidentally for
machines to execute. ”
Pair Pair | Facebook | Showdown | PHO | Twitter
| (THD)Text-Hex Decoder |
Old January 1st, 2014, 03:41 AM
Flower
ワイルドフラワー

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Flower
Finally, finally! Hope you add some A-map 1.95 features. For faster mapping! Because am lazy.
Old January 1st, 2014, 04:41 AM
Ace_Master_of_Turtles
Just that spriting guy

YES SHINY YES! YEEESSSSS!!! MEH FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Kaede View Post
So, this is still in alpha stage? So that alone, makes AMap better than MEH this time around.

I'm Quoting stright from the main post:
"we have two words to answer that. Open Source. This means that is someone has a cool ASM hack such as karatekid552/Jambo51's 649 patch and they want to add support to MEH for all those extra Pokemon, they can take the code for MEH and implement it. Want to add Day/Night support? You can do that. Day/Night Pokemon? Sure. 3 Layer Tile Hack? Easy"
Also less bugginess, a mime ( I can't explain it, ask shiny or interdpth ), and OPENING MAPS/BANKS IN SECONDS ( love this one )

Last edited by Ace_Master_of_Turtles; January 1st, 2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old January 1st, 2014, 09:34 AM
JackHack96
Little Hacker

Nature: Relaxed
Wow wow! Not bad! As a Linux user I'm happy to see such a big tool coming...

I'll try this...

Visit my website, Hack Rom Tools, here you can find useful tools for ROM hacking.
Old January 1st, 2014, 09:52 AM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
Congrats, this is a really nice tool. (But what is "mime"?)
For someone who jokes on AM, your tool looks very similar XD ("Suspicious")
But I love the fact that it is open source, there was always a bunch of "little things" that I wished I could of fixed with AM.
Old January 1st, 2014, 10:29 AM
pokepie

That's a pretty damn sexy map editor, those movement permissions and map connection pictures really are the cherries on top.
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:10 AM
Dark Sneasel
dem Verdanturf flowers are sexy
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
You go Shiny Quagsire (and interdpth)! Really looking forward to MEH and I really like how it looks!

Join Poketch.com, a new ROM hacking community! Click on the image for more!
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:31 AM
Renegade
Time for real life...

I've been waiting for this for a while now
I'll keep track of this. Once it's out of Alpha, I'll make sure to replace A-map with this!
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:37 AM
Merak
Because reasons.

Nature: Quiet
Glorious! This is awesome!
I'm getting this for sure~
Keep up the great work.

Credit for the userbar goes to xVaporeon; credit for the avatar goes to Snakeyem12.
MY WRITING
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:58 AM
Shiny Quagsire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Kaede View Post

I'm not going to lie, there's way to many things missing at this point to make it a good map editor to use full-time. I just wanted to get some input from the community and get an idea of what features the people here might want. So yes, A-Map is more suitable for hacking right now. But MEH is getting close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoActor View Post
Congrats, this is a really nice tool. (But what is "mime"?)
For someone who jokes on AM, your tool looks very similar XD ("Suspicious")
But I love the fact that it is open source, there was always a bunch of "little things" that I wished I could of fixed with AM.

Just a header viewer.

Old January 1st, 2014, 12:08 PM
Shucklin
Punch in the Meowth!

One large problem that I had with a-map was the warps. It was too damn complicated. It would be cool if there was a tile that you could place while under the events tab (or connections), and then if you right clicked on it there would be an "assign" option where you would choose what map and which tile inside the map that it warps you to.

P.S. you should take out the "like" in "can like see" under the mime tab
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:00 PM
HidoranBlaze

This is great! No more buggy Advance Map lol
I'm probably gonna wait until you release an actual beta before commenting on it,
but one feature that would be nice would be having MEH automatically detect the palettes used when inserting new tilesets.
honestly going back and forth between advance map and irfanview is such a hassle...
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:56 PM
interdpth
I've seen things, man.

Wahooo! It'll be used for years to come!

potato is not here.

bye
Old January 1st, 2014, 05:01 PM
GOLDstandard
GoldStandard

Nature: Bold
This is the best post on PC I've seen in a long time if not ever. THANK YOU. Open source ftw
Old January 1st, 2014, 10:50 PM
Aruaruu

I got some ideas

-Have a tooltip that displays the block number of the block you have the cursor on. Maybe even display the X, Y co-oords too. Makes it easier than looking down at the bottom of screen like you had to do in A-map. I also noticed the current tile thing. That is a better spot than the bottom for sure. =P

-Maybe have annotations that you can edit on the map list like this...
Spoiler:
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:04 PM
CrimsonFlames
Bye-Beeeeeee!

Nature: Quirky
Looks like AM but still looks great!
Can't wait to try this out... and I'm going to replace AM... :D
Old January 2nd, 2014, 12:12 AM
Renegade
Time for real life...

Just remembered something I would like to see in MEH. It would be helpful if, in the "Wild Pokemon" section, you put the percentage that the Pokemon spawn so I know exactly how rare a Pokemon is going to be. I know this feature was in an earlier version of A-Map, but it's not in the newer versions which is really a bummer.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 09:48 AM
SBird

Looks great, in fairness I always wanted a map editor to be open source, unfortunately I'm not able to execute the code w/o getting an error, I already opened an issue, maybe someone can offer me some help.

Anyways, I hope this project is kept up, it would be great to have something that is able to offer the same features as AM does. Also: Hey, AM is not that bad, you were able to work with it for ages and nobody did complain, no reason to underrate it.

By the way: It would be great if you could integrate a world map editor just like AM, the problem is if you edit the world map in AM you mess up all of the catch location entries in your pokedex, I would be grateful if that could be fixed. And it would also be great to offer support for other languages.(In form of XML Files or something like that)

~SBird
Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Lu-Ho had also made Door Animator and Tile Animators.
Are you going to make some too? Or perhaps implement it into MEH for easier usage.

Just strollin' to my next destination...
Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:31 PM
daniilS
busy trying to do stuff not done yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBird View Post
Also: Hey, AM is not that bad, you were able to work with it for ages and nobody did complain, no reason to underrate it.

nobody did complain
nobody did complain

Nooooooooo, of course not, who would ever say something bad about a-map?

Thanks to JPAN, Jambo51, Shiny Quagsire and knizz for teaching me almost everything I know about hacking, through tutorials or in person.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 07:20 PM
Shiny Quagsire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruaruu View Post
I got some ideas

-Have a tooltip that displays the block number of the block you have the cursor on. Maybe even display the X, Y co-oords too. Makes it easier than looking down at the bottom of screen like you had to do in A-map. I also noticed the current tile thing. That is a better spot than the bottom for sure. =P

-Maybe have annotations that you can edit on the map list like this...
Spoiler:
Note taken. I actually have similar plans with tilesets, because the thing about tilesets is that the whole numbering system that AdvanceMap had was a complete lie. Tilesets are actually pointers, and nothing else. So there will likely be a "Tileset Registry" where you can see all the tilesets currently used by the loaded maps and name them accordingly. I'll also probably throw in the ability to add tilesets while I'm at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
Just remembered something I would like to see in MEH. It would be helpful if, in the "Wild Pokemon" section, you put the percentage that the Pokemon spawn so I know exactly how rare a Pokemon is going to be. I know this feature was in an earlier version of A-Map, but it's not in the newer versions which is really a bummer.
I agree, those things were quite useful. Which is why I implemented them when I made the wild pokemon editor just yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBird View Post
Looks great, in fairness I always wanted a map editor to be open source, unfortunately I'm not able to execute the code w/o getting an error, I already opened an issue, maybe someone can offer me some help.

Anyways, I hope this project is kept up, it would be great to have something that is able to offer the same features as AM does. Also: Hey, AM is not that bad, you were able to work with it for ages and nobody did complain, no reason to underrate it.

By the way: It would be great if you could integrate a world map editor just like AM, the problem is if you edit the world map in AM you mess up all of the catch location entries in your pokedex, I would be grateful if that could be fixed. And it would also be great to offer support for other languages.(In form of XML Files or something like that)

~SBird
Thanks, I took note of the issue and I'll see about that. It's strange because interdpth had the same problem, so I might have forgot to push something. As for AdvanceMap, it wasn't all that bad of a map editor. The problem was the fact that it was universally controlled by one person, and there was no way for any additional features to enter it without them going past him. The other problem is sloppy coding which caused slower load times (an example of this is that instead of just putting a pointer to the wild data table it searches the entire ROM for a byte pattern) and for the famous Emerald sound corruption bug (which was due to A-Map assuming the wrong freespace address for both Fire Red and Emerald).

As for the worldmap editor, I believe interdpth had something cooking but never finished it. I'll have to steal that code from him and get something working out of it. It's rather impressive what he has so far. It can load the worldmap graphics straight from the ROM on Fire Red, Ruby, and Emerald.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
Lu-Ho had also made Door Animator and Tile Animators.
Are you going to make some too? Or perhaps implement it into MEH for easier usage.
Animations are among the things that I'd like to do in MEH. My initial plans were to read the animations and have them update in livetime inside the map editor (ie the water will animate in the map editor and block viewer). However the idea was quickly scrapped after I found out that the animations use ASM that would be near impossible to read without some potentially harmful code. I do at least have a plan, and currently it's this: Make up a piece of ASM that will redo the in-game animations to a more friendly format, ie an animation table, then add something to the tool that will convert existing animations to this new format. Then just make an animation editor and we're done.

With all that out of the way, time for a slight status update. So yesterday I was working on MEH, and I managed to finish the Wild Pokemon Editor. Currently all it's missing is the overall encounter ratio (which will be added shortly) and repointing support.

In case anyone is curious, the big thing with repointing is the ability to add and remove things. As of now, the only things in MEH that support repointing is the map editor and the connections editor. So with the map editor you can resize maps just fine and you can add connections without a hitch. With other things like events and pokemon, the only thing you can do is edit existing data, which is obviously not optimal. Fear not though, repointing support will come in due time.

Also I should note that this wild pokemon editor is completely compatible with karatekid's 649 patch. There is a setting in the INI file that can change the number of Pokemon names loaded into memory.

That aside, I also have plans to include either Jambo51's Day/Night pokemon hack or I'll devise one of my own. Either way, you'll be able to edit which Pokemon appear in the daytime and at night, thus making D/N systems a LOT more useful than just aesthetics.

Old January 2nd, 2014, 08:13 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Question about the tool repointing stuff.
Will the tool repoint automatically or will we have an option to manually put free space of our choice?
And also, will it check the offset if it's free before it repoints?
Advance Map is annoying with its repointing, since it has chances of overwriting not-free space, hence ruining a number of my repointed maps. =/

Sponsored Links