Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Reload this Page [Tool] [Alpha] (MEH) Map Editor of Happiness

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old July 12th, 2014 (02:37 AM).

Nature: Careful
Quote originally posted by Dark Sneasel:
Hope to not bother you, but I just found a little bug in MEH that isn't that serious. It's with the Nidorans in the wild Pokemon area. If you use the arrow keys to scroll down, and go from Nidoran (f) to Nidorina then Nidoqueen and press down again, it'll take you to Nidoran (f) instead of (m). If this has been reported before then sorry.
Also you can't choose Nidoran (m) in the wild pokemon, it thinks it's Nidoran F, even if you type 32 in the dex number thing, it will take it back to 29.
This still seems not to be fixed. I downloaded MEH yesterday, and have exactly the same problem.
Old July 12th, 2014 (03:17 PM).

Nature: Quiet
3 layer tiles? I'm literally squeeing on the inside. So much potential for graphics. Can't wait until it's beta/finished.
I hope there's multiple tile selection so inserting tiles would be less of a pain.

Having tiles show their hexadecimal would be nice. I use Advance Map 1.9.2 to check them so I can animate them in Animeditor. Or you can implement a tile animator into meh.

Btw, that disclaimer is hilarious XD
-Custom 256/240 color Titlescreen (Firered)
-Animated Tiles
-Overworld insert/size change
Old July 13th, 2014 (08:03 AM).

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by Cloudfury:
Having tiles show their hexadecimal would be nice. I use Advance Map 1.9.2 to check them so I can animate them in Animeditor. Or you can implement a tile animator into meh.

Yet another good point. Animation support could liven up so many hacks. If you have time SQ that would be awesome!
Old July 20th, 2014 (08:24 AM).
In tenebris est et in nobis.

Come Back Shiny! We MISS YOU! ...And the weekly updates that come along with your visits...
Old July 20th, 2014 (08:30 AM).
Double Agent for Team Johto

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Tyroz:
Come Back Shiny! We MISS YOU! ...And the weekly updates that come along with your visits...
Sorry, got hit with an unexpected class which I had to take all of last week. If anyone's curious about progress, I have a patcher working for Wizard and all that's left is making a configuration pane and a few small things. I think for the color masking instead of doing the usual external palette editing I'll allow the user to use a standard color dialog so that they can change the hue, saturation, brightness and RGB values alongside a small preview of the map.

Old July 20th, 2014 (02:43 PM).
Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak

Nature: Timid
I'm not usually one for single word comments, so I added this sentence before it..

LMAO!
Quote originally posted by Shiny Quagsire:
Sorry, got hit with an unexpected class which I had to take all of last week. If anyone's curious about progress, I have a patcher working for Wizard and all that's left is making a configuration pane and a few small things. I think for the color masking instead of doing the usual external palette editing I'll allow the user to use a standard color dialog so that they can change the hue, saturation, brightness and RGB values alongside a small preview of the map.
I completely understand! I've been learning HTML and CSS over the last week or so, and it's a headache, to say the least.

Anyway, it's wonderful to see an update come in even though you got swamped! Thanks for all the great work and effort! MEH will overtake AMap permanently as the #1 Map Editor for Pokemon! Or maybe it already has, it IS open source, after all.

Want to ask me a question? Click here!
Old July 21st, 2014 (08:08 AM).

This all looks amazing. Rom hacking has sure come a long way from the old "tools are for losers, everything has to asm hacking" mentality.

EDIT: This was only my first post? I could have sworn I'd posted before this...
Old July 21st, 2014 (08:38 AM).
Don't think, feel.

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Varlin:
This all looks amazing. Rom hacking has sure come a long way from the old "tools are for losers, everything has to asm hacking" mentality.

Back when Pokemon Rom Hacking was at its height and the Scrapbox was a thing, ASM hacking was basically a hidden beast that few dared to touch (even some of the most prolific/famous hackers).

Since then, ASM hacking is a lot more public, in that the semi-common hacker uses it. There's way more ASM now than there was back then, you're just more likely to get more help with it now.
Old July 21st, 2014 (09:43 AM).
In tenebris est et in nobis.

It's all good. Just glad to see you moving again.

Quote originally posted by Lady Prixy:
I'm not usually one for single word comments, so I added this sentence before it..

LMAO!
I missed him... I wanted updates...

Quote originally posted by Varlin:
This all looks amazing.
It does look Fan-Friggen-Tastic! and hat tends to happen.
Old July 21st, 2014 (11:42 AM).

I'm not usually one for single word comments, so I added this sentence before it...

LMAO!
I missed him...^_^ I wanted updates...>_>
Not sure why I reacted that way. Must have been tired.

Anyway, looking forward to updates, as always! Keep up the great work~!

Old July 23rd, 2014 (07:03 AM).

Well, I have another bad stroke of luck, but I'll be gone for the next 3 weeks unexpectedly (literally found out yesterday night) starting today. Since I never got to actually finish out the Wizard configuration editor, I'll be releasing a bit of a pre-release JAR for MEH which includes the patcher for Wizard, but nothing to edit it in terms of configuring. This is so people can kinda play around with it and get a feel for what to expect when I get the chance to finish the configuration pane.

The JAR can be found here. This is a pre-release JAR, separate from the buildbot, and I would only recommend using it to patch Wizard and nothing else. To open the patching dialog, press the far right blank (I think it's blank...) button on the toolbar. The source code has been uploaded to another branch on Github for anyone who wants to look.

Old July 23rd, 2014 (03:43 PM).

Well, I have another bad stroke of luck, but I'll be gone for the next 3 weeks unexpectedly (literally found out yesterday night) starting today. Since I never got to actually finish out the Wizard configuration editor, I'll be releasing a bit of a pre-release JAR for MEH which includes the patcher for Wizard, but nothing to edit it in terms of configuring. This is so people can kinda play around with it and get a feel for what to expect when I get the chance to finish the configuration pane.

The JAR can be found here. This is a pre-release JAR, separate from the buildbot, and I would only recommend using it to patch Wizard and nothing else. To open the patching dialog, press the far right blank (I think it's blank...) button on the toolbar. The source code has been uploaded to another branch on Github for anyone who wants to look.
Thank you for taking the time to let us know!

It's a shame that you'll be gone, but knowing that you took the time to share this information with us before leaving means a lot to us!

Also, thank you for providing the JAR and instructions on how to apply it! :3

See you when you get back, Shiny!

Old July 27th, 2014 (07:13 AM).

I can't run preview jar:
Code:
H:\MEH>java -jar MEH.jar
Resource path:null
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at us.plxhack.MEH.UI.MainGUI.CreateButtons(MainGUI.java:553)
        at us.plxhack.MEH.UI.MainGUI.<init>(MainGUI.java:1770)
        at us.plxhack.MEH.Main.main(Main.java:25)
and I can't fully open Liquid Crystal 3.3.00451 ROM with 6 June jar
Old August 6th, 2014 (12:58 PM).

is there a way to actually edit the events on MEH, or do I need another program for that?
Im on a mac if that helps
Also is there a good script editor for mac that I can use. I've looked everywhere.
Old August 6th, 2014 (02:22 PM).

Quote originally posted by kevinin:
is there a way to actually edit the events on MEH, or do I need another program for that?
Also is there a good script editor for mac that I can use. I've looked everywhere.
I don't think we can edit events yet with the current version. If someone else has succeeded, please feel free to correct me.

And I don't use Mac, so I can't help you with finding a script editor. Sorry :/

EDIT: Did a quick search and I found this post. It led me to this page. I hope this helps!

Old August 6th, 2014 (05:32 PM).
Just Some Average Anthropomorphic Gallade

Nature: Modest
I don't think we can edit events yet with the current version. If someone else has succeeded, please feel free to correct me.

EDIT: Did a quick search and I found this post. It led me to this page. I hope this helps!
Actually SEA(Script Editor Advance) is open source, so I believe it should work on Mac.
Old August 7th, 2014 (12:21 AM).

Quote originally posted by kevinin:

Quote originally posted by DJTiKi:
Actually SEA(Script Editor Advance) is open source, so I believe it should work on Mac.
Just did a search and found it it's also by Shiny Quagsire. That really made me happy~

Anyway, kevinin, we can't post links to other forums so just search Google and you can find it pretty easily.

Looks like it's still in Alpha, but why does it have to be on another forum?! Don't want to sign up for just one thread lol.

Shiny, you sure know how to keep yourself busy! Looking forward to updates to both of these wonderful programs! I might have to kick XSE to the curb soon~ Hmm. Looks like that thread hasn't been updated since late 2013 though.. Ah well, still might be better than XSE for me lol.

Old August 7th, 2014 (04:42 AM).

Please make it easier to insert tiles, those are a pain.
I also hate AdvanceMap, so I'm rooting for this tool.
Old August 13th, 2014 (11:16 AM).

So I was supposed to be back today. But, as you can probably tell by my user text, I'm going to be out for another week. Which sucks.

But, with the small few hours (like, literally 1-3 hours a day) I have free I think I'm going to take a stab at getting some sort of UI for Wizard out, because it's still bothering me that I didn't finish that 100% before leaving unexpectedly (and I don't even know if the ZIP I sent out even works 100% either). So I got Eclipse set up on my tiny ages old computer I brought up so I'll see if I can get something working or not. Luckily since I pushed my entire partially unfinished codebase onto Github I'll be able to start right where I was before. The lack of IDA Pro might make things difficult, and the slowness of the computer might hinder me slightly, but I'm actually really hoping to get something working by the time I get back, because as much as it sucks, school literally starts just days after I get back.

Old August 14th, 2014 (12:37 PM).

This is awesome! I love the selection tool compared to AM's, since that one is limited to how big you can go. Often times I've needed to move entire cities down, and this is just the editor to do it.
Old August 16th, 2014 (07:38 AM).

Do you ever intend to take your programming skills up a notch and move to the fourth gen games where things get a little more interesting?
Old August 16th, 2014 (11:05 PM).

Nature: Naughty
Great Work Bro
program in Java Great
Thanks for Source Code
Old August 20th, 2014 (01:30 PM). Edited August 20th, 2014 by Meowth.
That's Right!
Silver Tier

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Meowth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Meowth
I have a request for a feature that's sorely wanted in Advancemap that it appears nobody has brought up here yet. Have you ever used RPG Maker XP/RMXP Shiny Quagsire?

Say you wanted to put in a bunch of trees. In A-MAP and presubaly MEH you'd have to do 4 or more tiles per tree. In RPG Maker XP, you could select mutliple tiles at a time from the tileset:

and just paint them on the map like so (intentionally very sloppy):

Or the fill bucket, one of the most handy tools, which can also be used by selecting mutiple tiles btw, but for this example I'll just show 1:

And an example of selecting more than one tile with the fill option:

If you couldn't do the fill option, I still feel being able to select more than one tile at once could be very very useful for mapping, and because it seems this project may be the future of GBA Pokemon hacking, I just thought I'd ask if it's possible to spare the hackers of the future a lot of time mapping with a few simple tools

Cheers
Old August 20th, 2014 (01:31 PM).
ModeratorCS

Quote originally posted by Meowth:
I have a request for a feature that's sorely wanted in Advancemap that it appears nobody has brought up here yet. Have you ever used RPG Maker XP/RMXP Shiny Quagsire?

Say you wanted to put in a bunch of trees. In A-MAP and presubaly MEH you'd have to do 4 or more tiles per tree. In RPG Maker XP, you could select mutliple tiles at a time from the tileset:

and just paint them on the map like so (intentionally very sloppy):

You can do that in AMap already, just hold down right click and the Control key and drag. I think MEH has it too but don't quote me on that.
Old August 20th, 2014 (01:39 PM). Edited August 20th, 2014 by Meowth.
That's Right!
Silver Tier

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Meowth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Meowth
Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
You can do that in AMap already, just hold down right click and the Control key and drag. I think MEH has it too but don't quote me on that.
Wow, I can't believe it. Thanks a lot. The fill option would be nice but not as important as that haha.

Though, as I'm seeing now, that feature could really be used for movement permissions too. Say you're remapping a map already in the game, and it's a big map. Being able to just wipe the old movement permissions away would be nice.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)