The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 2nd, 2014, 08:37 PM
Shiny Quagsire
Being a Wizard

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
Question about the tool repointing stuff.
Will the tool repoint automatically or will we have an option to manually put free space of our choice?
And also, will it check the offset if it's free before it repoints?
Advance Map is annoying with its repointing, since it has chances of overwriting not-free space, hence ruining a number of my repointed maps. =/
For specifying the freespace yourself, it might be a bit tricky because MEH actually works with a lot of data, so you'd be inputting to like 5-10 different boxes asking where to put the new data. Luckily the freespace finding algorithm put in place works just fine and only inserts at safe freespace towards the end of the ROM. As for the repointing process itself, currently the repointing system works like this:

Every piece of data loaded is always saved back in the same fashion as before. For map data, there is a function for resizing the map. In this function all the internal arrays of tiles are increased to accomadate this size. At the same time, it calculates the new size of the map and checks if it's larger. If it is, it searches for freespace by looking for a stream of X 0xFF bytes, where X is the new data size. This freespace offset is recorded and saved.

If the new data size is smaller, it saves to the same spot as before. I plan on making a setting called "Always Repoint" where you can configure this to, instead of writing to the same spot and creating fragmentation, have it look for a new nest of freespace to sammich itself into.

Now the neat thing about MEH is that instead of reading and writing directly to the file like A-Map (which was a great source of pain since you couldn't use HxD while it was open), it double-buffers the ROM into the RAM and works off of that. One buffer is for the current map loaded, and the other is for the ROM itself, hence the reason for the two buttons on the top to safe: One saves to the virtual ROM all the changes to the map, and the other saves both the map and to the actual file.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:51 AM
Wendle
Not So Standard Trainer

Nature: Modest
I'm liking the connections tab allot, having had a little play and knowing this is open source i think i'll keep a close eye on this project.
Wierd request, Can you add map zoom in and zoom out? it was always a pet peeve when i created maps in AM.

Please keep at it.

Manic Street Preachers
Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:55 AM
Shiny Quagsire
Being a Wizard

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendle View Post
I'm liking the connections tab allot, having had a little play and knowing this is open source i think i'll keep a close eye on this project.
Wierd request, Can you add map zoom in and zoom out? it was always a pet peeve when i created maps in AM.

Please keep at it.
I actually added zoom in the commections editor (Ctrl+Scroll) so it's definately viable. I'll take note of that and see if I can get it in.

Old January 4th, 2014, 09:36 PM
interdpth
I've seen things, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Quagsire View Post
As for the worldmap editor, I believe interdpth had something cooking but never finished it. I'll have to steal that code from him and get something working out of it. It's rather impressive what he has so far. It can load the worldmap graphics straight from the ROM on Fire Red, Ruby, and Emerald.

Yeah, I'm gonna finish it. lol It's on my git.

potato is not here.

bye
Old January 6th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Garuga17

Nature: Relaxed
Yay! So glad i found another Map editor, i mean, im fine with A-Map, but i definitely want to try this one, once its in a suitable version for hacking, i love the revolutionary connection editor thingy!

and oh, love the name, MEH xD
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:00 AM
interdpth
I've seen things, man.

Screenies of the worldmap editor mentioned above...in a rewrite do'

Kanto:
Spoiler:

Hoenn:
Spoiler:

potato is not here.

bye
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Grawx

This really is better than Advance Map! (in my opinion at least) Very well done and easier to use. I'm looking forward to the wild pokemon editor is finished!
Old January 11th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Flashpoint
→ P e r s i s t e n c e
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Flashpoint Send a message via Skype™ to Flashpoint
If you would be so kind to add a undo button, it would be tremendously appreciated! That is if you already have not. This is looking very promising and hope to see this progress further!

Old January 11th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
If you would be so kind to add a undo button, it would be tremendously appreciated! That is if you already have not. This is looking very promising and hope to see this progress further!
I have never really seen a map editor in my entire life that has an 'undo' function.

It would actually have to work by capturing each map, every time some adjustment has been made to the map, then clicking that button would bring it back to that stage. It would be a very interesting function to have in MEH.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:20 AM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Nature: Quiet
Ah the thread is up. Been waiting a while. An undo button WOULD be fabulous too. ;D

Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue

Join me in the chat! Get help or just talk, I really don't care :D | Click here: http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...omhacking,GoGo
Old January 11th, 2014, 10:05 AM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
Wow, I think the world map editor looks really cool, will it eventually support expanded world maps?
Old January 11th, 2014, 01:06 PM
ggctuk

This is looking pretty hot so far. Here's hoping that this, when it's finished, ousts AdvanceMap 100%.
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Mees

Just a request.
Maybe you could make a tile(set) editior, so we don't have to start Paint or whatever to edit our tiles and make it able to insert this immediately. Would be an awesome feature.
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:47 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
Ah the thread is up. Been waiting a while. An undo button WOULD be fabulous too. ;D
OMG. Shiny Quagsire, the amount of times I have accidentally destroyed a map is in the thousands. Please!

Paired with Simba
Old January 13th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Kyoko1
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyoko1
This looks adoreable!
As many suggested above, a undo and redo button would be one of the most important
things in a map-editor, which I missed so much in AdvanceMap
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:28 AM
U_Flame
Brony Hacker

Location: UnderwaterSapphire in Hoenn 100 years in the future
I love this project's potential! Do you plan to add LeafGreen and Sapphire support any time soon? It'd also be nice to implement season changes, like for wild Pokemon and tiles.

Times I've been ninja'd: 16
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old January 13th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Quote:
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

This needs to be done in MEH, pleease!!
Old January 14th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Ksiazek Bartlomiej
Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
If this editor have option to add extra town map into ruby. That was the best tool to map editing ever.
- During Centuries... Whole worlds try keep in survive... Beafore the space start existing... In chaos eye appeared two eggs... One of mighty pokemon Arceus... Secound with less known Rejishan... Those two pokemon start build their worlds in other warps... Rejishan lose him mission... And undone world named now was TORN WORLD where now live Giratina... Arceus create world with Pokemons where live everywhere alongside with humans... What do Arceus after fail of Rejishan? He give him able to live in him world... But Rejishan want create something which been himself... And from biggest dessert upper than Unova Region start creating new region... This region is Thonsu... New species of Pokemons start locate at their region... Arceus fell angry... But forgive Rejishan and make with him friendship... But now... Is no one know... Rejishan hide in human body... Human name of Thonsu Creator is Sir Allan Newlight... - MYTH ABOUT REJISHAN (Pokemon Dirty Sun plot)

MY MUSIC SHOP - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296954
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:16 PM
interdpth
I've seen things, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoActor View Post
Wow, I think the world map editor looks really cool, will it eventually support expanded world maps?

It all depends on the INI.

Ruby has one map and pretty much supported like this(I need to add a flag stating it's color type before release)

One value for each entry
;Worldmap offsets are offsets to pointers
WorldMapGFX =0xFA990
WorldMapPal =0xFA9B8
WorldMapPalSize =0x38
WorldMapSlot =0xE
WorldMapTileMap =0xFA9A4
WorldMapCount =1

While FR has 4
;Worldmap offsets need to be offsets to pointers
WorldMapGFX = 0xC0330,0xC0330,0xC0330,0xC0330
WorldMapPal = 0xC2D10,0xC2D10,0xC2D10,0x3C2D10
WorldMapSlot = 0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0
WorldMapTileMap = 0xc035C,0xc0370,0xc0388,0xc03a4
WorldMapCount = 4
WorldMapPalSize = 0x80,0x80,0x80,0x80

So as you can see, it can totally support extended maps. To the editor is just depends on WorldMapCount. So, you should be able to have 255 at least. lol The offsets need to be the offset where the pointer to the data is and you need to make sure each entry has the same amount of addresses.

To those asking about an undo button, that is easily doable. I'm not sure if I will do it though. Got a mess of projects going on. So Shiny might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
I love this project's potential! Do you plan to add LeafGreen and Sapphire support any time soon? It'd also be nice to implement season changes, like for wild Pokemon and tiles.

We'll probably ask people in the community to gather the required info. And you can do that. It is open source.

potato is not here.

bye

Last edited by interdpth; January 15th, 2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old January 16th, 2014, 03:23 AM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksiazek Bartlomiej View Post
If this editor have option to add extra town map into ruby. That was the best tool to map editing ever.
That is asm handled, so YOU'd need to implement that yourself then edit the ini then edit it. The tool doesn't make the game run the way you want it, the gba does. Tools just edit appearance and names and things. They can add asm but why would they if you can on your own?

Join me in the chat! Get help or just talk, I really don't care :D | Click here: http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...omhacking,GoGo

Last edited by GoGoJJTech; January 16th, 2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old January 16th, 2014, 03:50 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
They can add asm but why woukd they if you can on your own?
This is now my all time FAVORITE quote. You can do all of this in a hex editor. Every single thing that tools edit can be done on a hex editor. The point of tools is to take a long laborious task and make it easier. There are a few tools already that insert custom ASM into the game. This wouldn't be the first.

edit: Not saying that I think it should, but that your reason is not a good reason not to.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; January 16th, 2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:22 AM
interdpth
I've seen things, man.

Quote:
That is asm handled, so YOU'd need to implement that yourself then edit the ini then edit it. The tool doesn't make the game run the way you want it, the gba does. Tools just edit appearance and names and things. They can add asm but why woukd they if you can on your own?
To be fair,

It does support multiple town maps. But to be fair on us, to implement it is on the hacker.

potato is not here.

bye

Last edited by interdpth; January 16th, 2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:11 PM
bcrobert
Lazy Antagonist

Nature: Quirky
Wait...I don't even understand what he was asking. Did he mean a new key item that functions as the town map? Because the pokenav...does that. ;
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:23 AM
GoGoJJTech
GoGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrobert View Post
Wait...I don't even understand what he was asking. Did he mean a new key item that functions as the town map? Because the pokenav...does that. ;
He meant like having 2 regions in ruby. But it's on him to do it.

Old January 17th, 2014, 07:14 PM
bcrobert
Lazy Antagonist

Nature: Quirky
What if MEH's wild editor could produce a .txt list of wild pokemon not available in any of the wild data? If the list had Weedle, Kakuna, and Beedrill on it then you would know that you forgot to add a member of the Weedle family to your hack (unless you made it a special event 'mon for some reason). I know that's a weird suggestion but I'm trying to think of things A-Map doesn't do.

Sponsored Links