Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 18th, 2014 (01:39 AM).
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote originally posted by bcrobert:
What if MEH's wild editor could produce a .txt list of wild pokemon not available in any of the wild data? If the list had Weedle, Kakuna, and Beedrill on it then you would know that you forgot to add a member of the Weedle family to your hack (unless you made it a special event 'mon for some reason). I know that's a weird suggestion but I'm trying to think of things A-Map doesn't do. :P
I think what would be a more urgent and needed feature would be the ability to import and export wild pokémon lists so you can easily transfer them from map to map (preferably in a .txt format that the tool would the just encrypt and decrypt)
Old January 18th, 2014 (09:27 AM).
interdpth
I've seen things, man.

Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
I think what would be a more urgent and needed feature would be the ability to import and export wild pokémon lists so you can easily transfer them from map to map (preferably in a .txt format that the tool would the just encrypt and decrypt)
I sadly have to write an export system for the GBA games. So exporting will fall on me and should be quite easy to use.

potato is not here.

bye
Old January 20th, 2014 (12:46 AM).
Shiny Quagsire
I like .short's because they're comfy and easy to wear.

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
Like interdpth said, this is in fact planned and shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Weekly(ish) Update
So I've been working diligently on MEH for the last few weeks today and I've finally managed to implement repointing support for the wild pokemon editor, bringing it up to speed with A-Map. Currently it functions exactly the same as you would expect it so I don't think there should be too much confusion there.

As always, suggestions are welcome. As for what to expect next, currently interdpth and I are working on a few things for MEH, I'm continuing adding repointing support with events and interdpth is working on a world map editor plugin as well as exporting/importing functions. Once we have everything up-to-par with A-Map I'll work on various map editing tools, undo/redo support, and other things.

Old January 20th, 2014 (09:44 AM).
Gorrioncillo

i see a part that say time of day, thats for a NDS, it will be yours or the NDS of dialga??
Old January 20th, 2014 (11:39 AM).
SBird

Quote originally posted by Gorrioncillo:
i see a part that say time of day, thats for a NDS, it will be yours or the NDS of dialga??
It's actually an implementation of some Day and Night Wild Battle routine for the gba. The NDS uses a totally different architecture in almost every part of the rom and it would be of no use to construct an editor for both versions, you could create 2 single applications as well. (And there are implementations for the wild battle data in NDS games anyways)

The screen looks very promising, I like where this is going!

~SBird
Old January 20th, 2014 (12:46 PM).
Shiny Quagsire

Quote originally posted by SBird:
It's actually an implementation of some Day and Night Wild Battle routine for the gba. The NDS uses a totally different architecture in almost every part of the rom and it would be of no use to construct an editor for both versions, you could create 2 single applications as well. (And there are implementations for the wild battle data in NDS games anyways)

The screen looks very promising, I like where this is going!

~SBird
I think he meant DNS, a Day and Night system, because there's one made by Primal Dialga.

Quote originally posted by Gorrioncillo:
Currently I'm planning on two options: You can either stick with PrimalDialga's Day/Night system or one of the many others that are compatible, or you can use one that will be made by diegoisawesome which will most likely be integrated into MEH. The plan though is to allow for there to be a set of possible wild pokemon for each time of day, making Day and Night systems more useful and realistic to have in hacks. However, once you start using the different pokemon in the daytime and at night it will become incompatible with A-Map. Luckily though it's fully functional as a wild pokemon editor at this point.

Old January 20th, 2014 (01:25 PM). Edited January 20th, 2014 by karatekid552.
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by Shiny Quagsire:
Currently I'm planning on two options: You can either stick with PrimalDialga's Day/Night system or one of the many others that are compatible, or you can use one that will be made by diegoisawesome which will most likely be integrated into MEH. The plan though is to allow for there to be a set of possible wild pokemon for each time of day, making Day and Night systems more useful and realistic to have in hacks. However, once you start using the different pokemon in the daytime and at night it will become incompatible with A-Map. Luckily though it's fully functional as a wild pokemon editor at this point.
Once this completely works, I have little doubt that people will even download A-Map any more. My tool breaks compatibility with YAPE if you expand evolutions, so it is the same thing. Out with the old, in with the new.:D God, I can't wait for this to fully work! A-Map under wine is so slow.

Just out of curiosity, how will you be handling repointing? Will it all be automated? And for repointed maps, will you clear the old ones?

Paired with Simba
Old January 20th, 2014 (01:30 PM).
Shiny Quagsire

Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
Once this completely works, I have little doubt that people won't even download A-Map any more. My tool breaks compatibility with YAPE if you expand evolutions, so it is the same thing. Out with the old, in with the new.:D God, I can't wait for this to fully work! A-Map under wine is so slow.

Just out of curiosity, how will you be handling repointing? Will it all be automated? And for repointed maps, will you clear the old ones?
Currently repointing works like this: If the editor detects that the data size is larger it will flood the old data with 0xFF's and move it somewhere else. If it's smaller it will either play it safe and stay in the same spot or repoint to allow other data to use that spot later, thus preventing fragmentation. Currently it defaults to staying in the same spot but it will be configurable later on. And yes, it's automated right now.

Old January 20th, 2014 (06:09 PM).
Boyd
Beginning Scripter

Nature: Relaxed
I just wanted to say thank you for developing this tool, it will be astronomically useful and I've been doing some playing around with it and am very impressed! I've actually learned a few new things in Java after reading through some of the code for this project haha (that's not to say I'm an expert by any means)!

Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see how this turns out!
Old January 21st, 2014 (05:07 AM).
Gorrioncillo

[QUOTE=
Currently I'm planning on two options: You can either stick with PrimalDialga's Day/Night system or one of the many others that are compatible, or you can use one that will be made by diegoisawesome which will most likely be integrated into MEH. The plan though is to allow for there to be a set of possible wild pokemon for each time of day, making Day and Night systems more useful and realistic to have in hacks. However, once you start using the different pokemon in the daytime and at night it will become incompatible with A-Map. Luckily though it's fully functional as a wild pokemon editor at this point.[/QUOTE]

Well it will be great, but make sure that the trade works, please.
Old January 23rd, 2014 (03:32 AM). Edited January 23rd, 2014 by pokenar.
pokenar
Lunatic Red Eyes

Nature: Naive
Very nice to see this, it looks like AM, but a bit... cleaner? so it looks like it won't be like switching from Elite Map to AM was, in terms of relearning how to do things. I do have one question though, I know this is an alpha and we were warned not to use this for hacking, but right now when I save my rom with 1.92, the rom can't be opened in GBAPGE (I'm thinking this may be due to it being a 32MB hack I'm customizing) What I'm wondering is which is less destructive of the rom at this moment, 1.95 of AM or this?

Edit: since it probably matters, I'm mostly just changing wild encounters, what BGM plays, and the names of the maps.
Old January 23rd, 2014 (06:47 AM).
Shiny Quagsire

Quote originally posted by pokenar:
Very nice to see this, it looks like AM, but a bit... cleaner? so it looks like it won't be like switching from Elite Map to AM was, in terms of relearning how to do things. I do have one question though, I know this is an alpha and we were warned not to use this for hacking, but right now when I save my rom with 1.92, the rom can't be opened in GBAPGE (I'm thinking this may be due to it being a 32MB hack I'm customizing) What I'm wondering is which is less destructive of the rom at this moment, 1.95 of AM or this?

Edit: since it probably matters, I'm mostly just changing wild encounters, what BGM plays, and the names of the maps.
Currently MEH is a lot less destructive than A-Map. The man problem with A-Map what that it would make writes and reads directly to the file, making all of your edits written in realtime to the ROM file. However, with MEH the rom is buffered into the RAM and worked on from there, making edits much more safe and only occuring when you excplicitly tell MEH to save. As for the features needed, currently it can only edit Wild Encounters. I'll add support to edit the map music soon as well as the map renaming but as of now it's not implemented.

Old January 23rd, 2014 (04:38 PM).
pokenar
Lunatic Red Eyes

Currently MEH is a lot less destructive than A-Map. The man problem with A-Map what that it would make writes and reads directly to the file, making all of your edits written in realtime to the ROM file. However, with MEH the rom is buffered into the RAM and worked on from there, making edits much more safe and only occuring when you excplicitly tell MEH to save. As for the features needed, currently it can only edit Wild Encounters. I'll add support to edit the map music soon as well as the map renaming but as of now it's not implemented.
Alright, so I downloaded MEH so I could at least work on wild encounters for now, but whenever I try to open a rom with the program(tried both with the extended hack I was working with and the original unpatched FR rom), it doesn't show any of the maps, and the wild editor still has the placeholder text. Is the front page link not updated or were those screenshots shown not publicly released yet?
Old January 23rd, 2014 (06:18 PM).
Shiny Quagsire

Alright, so I downloaded MEH so I could at least work on wild encounters for now, but whenever I try to open a rom with the program(tried both with the extended hack I was working with and the original unpatched FR rom), it doesn't show any of the maps, and the wild editor still has the placeholder text. Is the front page link not updated or were those screenshots shown not publicly released yet?
Oh they're publicly released, the changes are on my GitHub. It's just that my buildbot was acting up and packaging everything wrong so that it got stuck on a particular build. It should be fixed now so give it a whirl. Also let me know if there's any bugs, because I'm sure there's plenty somewhere.

Old January 23rd, 2014 (06:32 PM). Edited January 24th, 2014 by pokenar.
pokenar
Lunatic Red Eyes

Oh they're publicly released, the changes are on my GitHub. It's just that my buildbot was acting up and packaging everything wrong so that it got stuck on a particular build. It should be fixed now so give it a whirl. Also let me know if there's any bugs, because I'm sure there's plenty somewhere.
Alright, now the wild encounter tab seems to work fine, but the roms still do not open properly for me.
Here is a screenshot of what I'm looking at incase I'm just dumb and not clicking the right thing: http://imgur.com/GCV35jb
That was taken with the clean FR test, the extended test loaded in 0.0ms according to it. I`m using a vista OS, 32 bit, Java is 7 update 25 (build 1.7.0_25-b17)
Old January 24th, 2014 (04:19 PM). Edited January 24th, 2014 by Smeargle.
Smeargle
Illusory

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Smeargle
I thought this day would never come... I replacement for A-map!
Good luck with this project, I have wanted to toss A-map for well.. ever sense Its first crash.

However, When you get around to block editing please add a way to import and export color palettes please.
Oh and when adding Pokemon encounters could you please implement a search feature so we don't have to scroll through all 300+ pokemon
Old January 24th, 2014 (04:58 PM).
Cheve_X

¡Hey! This Looks rly nice! I want the full version now :3 ¡Haha!

If you guys need someone to translate it to spanish, i can do that job

Old January 25th, 2014 (07:05 AM).
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
How plausible would the transferral of events from one map to another be?
Old January 25th, 2014 (11:31 AM).
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Alright, now the wild encounter tab seems to work fine, but the roms still do not open properly for me.
Here is a screenshot of what I'm looking at incase I'm just dumb and not clicking the right thing:
That was taken with the clean FR test, the extended test loaded in 0.0ms according to it. I`m using a vista OS, 32 bit, Java is 7 update 25 (build 1.7.0_25-b17)
You're supposed to double click the bank thing.
Old January 25th, 2014 (12:39 PM).
pokenar
Lunatic Red Eyes

Quote originally posted by gogojjtech:
You're supposed to double click the bank thing.
I did, I thought it being highlighted would have indicated that.
Old January 25th, 2014 (08:15 PM).
AkameTheBulbasaur
Akame Marukawa of Iyotono

Nature: Relaxed
I'm having a similar problem to what pokenar is having. It opens my clean control FireRed ROM just fine, but when I tried to run my completed hack ROM, it wouldn't load. Is the tool supposed to work with hacks in progress. I feel like it's supposed to. I really like this tool and feel it has a lot of potential, I just wish I could test it properly.
"The human sacrificed himself, to save the Pokemon. I pitted them against each other, but not until they set aside their differences did I see the true power they all share deep inside. I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo
Old January 25th, 2014 (08:41 PM).
Shiny Quagsire

Quote originally posted by AkameTheBulbasaur:
I'm having a similar problem to what pokenar is having. It opens my clean control FireRed ROM just fine, but when I tried to run my completed hack ROM, it wouldn't load. Is the tool supposed to work with hacks in progress. I feel like it's supposed to. I really like this tool and feel it has a lot of potential, I just wish I could test it properly.
Hm, it should work. During early development I've opened up other's ROM Hacks (Liquid Crystal, Pokemon Rose, DarkViolet) to make sure it would work and all of them open up just fine. Try redownloading and make sure you extract the entire MEH folder and run it from there. If it can't find the MEH.ini file it'll cause similar effects to what you're describing. I just tested it on my Windows 7 computer (which has recently went through a fresh install) and it works just fine. Also, if you added maps this may or may not cause issues (I haven't actually tried it on a ROM that has a different number of maps/banks).

Old January 25th, 2014 (09:16 PM).
Pinkish Purple
五代目水影
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Kinda lowers my self-esteem how somebody my age can pull off something so amazing. Let's hope you get around to completing this tool, and not die halfway through or something. LOL. I look forward to when we you have implemented the Block Editor. AdvanceMap is such a pain on that field.
Old January 25th, 2014 (09:34 PM).
chrunch
Community Supporter

Here is a screenshot of what I'm looking at incase I'm just dumb and not clicking the right thing: http://imgur.com/GCV35jb
The exact same thing is happening to me, trying to open a clean firered ROM. Using Windows 7 64 bit, with the latest Java update. :/
Old January 26th, 2014 (12:22 AM). Edited January 26th, 2014 by pokenar.
pokenar
Lunatic Red Eyes

Quote originally posted by Pinkish Purple:
Kinda lowers my self-esteem how somebody my age can pull off something so amazing. Let's hope you get around to completing this tool, and not die halfway through or something. LOL. I look forward to when we you have implemented the Block Editor. AdvanceMap is such a pain on that field.
Your self esteem is lowered? I'm 2 years older, think about how I feel.

Hm, it should work. During early development I've opened up other's ROM Hacks (Liquid Crystal, Pokemon Rose, DarkViolet) to make sure it would work and all of them open up just fine. Try redownloading and make sure you extract the entire MEH folder and run it from there. If it can't find the MEH.ini file it'll cause similar effects to what you're describing. I just tested it on my Windows 7 computer (which has recently went through a fresh install) and it works just fine. Also, if you added maps this may or may not cause issues (I haven't actually tried it on a ROM that has a different number of maps/banks).
If the clean rom worked I'd be willing to believe it really was the hack.
To be specific, I'm using a hack called "Touhou Puppet Play 1.8 Enhanced." This specific one adds Johto while keeping the sevii islands, so it may have extra map data.
And, as for the extraction portion, I copy all files out of the compressed folder while its open with my extraction program and paste them into another folder, since the default download location for my browser leads to a folder that causes my computer to try and self destruct. should I be using the extract command to remove the files?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links