Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Round Table
Reload this Page Physical Education

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Round Table Have a seat at the Round Table for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old January 21st, 2014 (04:40 PM).
Emile Hersch turned 30 today. Who the hell is Emile Hersch?
Platinum Tier

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by LoudSilence:
Well, what about all the other subjects required in school? Isn't their inclusion in the curriculum "enforcing" one to take notice of them? If we removed PE tomorrow, what about the kids who might only wish to engage in physical activities and not learn about the arts at all -- don't they deserve encouragement rather than deprivation?
Yes, they do deserve their encouragement if that is what they enjoy doing. I'm not suggesting we remove PE from schools, I'm suggesting we remove mandatory PE from schools. My belief is the only subjects that should be taught compulsorily are the basic ones that will allow them to function within society: maths, English/language-of-whatever-country-you're-in, Geography, perhaps History. The rest; arts, PE, woodshop etc should all be electives taken on personal interest.

Quote originally posted by Gexeys:
If a young healthy and active child is too lazy to do 2+ hours of sport per week then they've been enforced into a unhealthy lifestyle. If a child is too lazy to be active then it should be enforced, it's unhealthy not to be active.
OK but who decides that? Who decides that a kid is so unhealthy that it's their business to intervene and save them from themselves? I almost feel like you're pushing my argument for me. If a young person is as you say "too lazy", that isn't indicative that they've been forced into anything, it's the build up of bad habits over time. That says to me that they need to be encouraged to break that chain, but the way to do that is not a mandatory lesson. When you're dealing with kids and especially teens, they push against what they feel they're being forced to do against their will.

Quote:
Being fat isn't healthy, if the kids were healthy they wouldn't be fat. If a child is too unfit or lazy to do one hours physical work per week, keep in mind that's 1 out of 168 hours of the week how on earth will they be healthy in their life when it's not enforced. It's about being in a mindset.
This once again makes the assumption that their health is anybody else's business. But rolling with that assumption, you can't force someone into a mindset. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Only someone can put themselves in a mindset and you know how to help them with that? You guessed it, encouragement. Not enforcement.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old January 29th, 2014 (06:26 AM).
Silver Tier

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by Shining Raichu:
I firmly believe that PE should be taken out of school curriculums. PE is not encouraging a healthy lifestyle, it's enforcing one. Exercise should be encouraged, not enforced. Besides how much good can that one hour once or twice a week do anybody? The only lesson PE actually teaches is a lesson to the fat and uncoordinated kids on how to deal with bullying.
Well said. Although I might have to disagree on you on taking PE being taken completely out of curriculums. Not only does physical activity satisfy a healthy lifestyle, but it provides a great social environment as well. That being said, I agree that a healthy lifestyle shouldn't have to be forced down throats, but encouraged. It is entirely up to the individual themselves whether they want to live a healthy, long life (disregarding health issues for a second) or a sedentary one. I commend those who are overweight and make efforts towards giving their life a chance. If you're overweight and complaining, then it's no one's fault by your own, unless it's genetics. I don't mean to be harsh or anything, but I have somewhat of a black and white perspective when it comes to issues like these.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements
Old January 29th, 2014 (06:02 PM).
more like uncommon sense

Quote originally posted by Shining Raichu:
Yes, they do deserve their encouragement if that is what they enjoy doing. I'm not suggesting we remove PE from schools, I'm suggesting we remove mandatory PE from schools. My belief is the only subjects that should be taught compulsorily are the basic ones that will allow them to function within society: maths, English/language-of-whatever-country-you're-in, Geography, perhaps History. The rest; arts, PE, woodshop etc should all be electives taken on personal interest.
I understand where you're coming from, but the problem arises when determining what exactly is necessary to function within society. Some people might argue that the issues you've excluded are just as vital.
Old February 2nd, 2014 (08:40 PM).
hi
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to acatfrommars
Physical Education of some sort should be mandatory as well as some sorts of visual arts program. Obesity is a leading issue in America today, and it is because kids don't receive the exercise that they need. The government has wasted money on a myriad of programs imo, they should keep up with the spending on PE for public education facilities throughout America. At least one year of P.E. should be required in every high school.
Old February 2nd, 2014 (08:51 PM).

Quote originally posted by acatfrommars:
Physical Education of some sort should be mandatory as well as some sorts of visual arts program. Obesity is a leading issue in America today, and it is because kids don't receive the exercise that they need. The government has wasted money on a myriad of programs imo, they should keep up with the spending on PE for public education facilities throughout America. At least one year of P.E. should be required in every high school.
Coming from the perspective of a student, the P.E. in school behaves much like the academics. There is always that one kid who doesn't care. Academically it's more often the druggy kid who maybe didn't grow up in the best environment than it is the kid who grew up in a good environment. As for P.E., the kid who doesn't care is usually the fat kid because exercise and physical activity (at their current state) causes a lot less pleasure and entertainment that a couch with a TV and a bag of chips. In both cases, it's the student who probably needs it more than the rest

We all knew the fat kid in school, and today there are many more than just one. I will admit though of the "fat" kids in school, they are all in 1 of three states of mind (listed from the most common to the least common).
1) The kid who doesn't care, he/she makes the fat jokes too and finds a way to be accepted.
2) The kid who is in denial; he/she may be 400lb but still claim to be big boned and has told himself/herself so many times that they're not fat that they're actually believing it. Usually their friends have backed off the subject as discussing it causes more trouble and drama than it's worth.
3) The kid who actually cares, feels embarrassed or ashamed, and would love to be able to change. Usually they're less social and stick with their group of friends because they are scared people won't accept them.

Also, P.E. is required, in fact 1.5 years of it is needed just to graduate. You can take more of course, but you can probably guess who chooses to take more. Most often it's the kids on the athletic teams who are already fit, with some stragglers split between "I would like to be in better shape", or "I wish I could finally get that six pack", and "Gym is such an easy class who cares if I have to work out and exercise; easy A"
Old February 16th, 2014 (03:45 PM).
Silver Tier

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by acatfrommars:
I agree with you with physical education being mandatory; during high school the first year was a compulsory course, and any additional years of gym would be considered an elective. Although, why should visual arts be required? To be honest, I've never understand why we were forced to take a visual arts/music credit because there are only a select few who would be interested and have a passion thus I think it should be an elective more. Since I didn't like the idea of doing arts, I opted for taking vocals as my credit.

On the other hand though, physical education is setting students up for a healthy lifestyle. Whether they decide to actually utilize those tools and what they learned in real life is another question, but regardless. I feel that a physical education course in school should be mandatory.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements
Old February 17th, 2014 (11:51 AM).
GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD

Nature: Bold
Well, koffi~

The Japanese seem to have their system down, and they have this PE 'nonsense' that, whoever or whatever, is all riled up about. We like doing things our way, with lots of fried foods and lacking studies. All our middleschool kids are interested in reproducing more than being smart I suppose. I tell you, they make 'em dumber every year. ". . . enough nuclear weapons to blow up the sun." <- I swear to the gods that came out of the mouth of a highschool student. Sombody is smart, but people are dumb. What was I saying? Yeah, we should have exercise in school, koff~
Old February 17th, 2014 (05:29 PM).
ShootThePuck

Nature: Sassy
PE is a joke. The kids don't try, the warmups and games aren't very physically demanding, and no one really cares if you get the amount of push ups and sit ups you're supposed to get at the end of each marking period.

PE does not set up anybody for a more healthy lifestyle nor does it solve any obesity problem a country may have. It's just a school's way of claiming they're "doing something about obesity" without actually doing much about obesity.

If PE was actually changing people's mindsets and made them want to be more healthy, play sports, etc, then I would support it. But everyone treats it like a joke class and it pretty much is a joke class to begin with.

you don't have enough talent to win on talent alone
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links