Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Theatre
Reload this Page DCC General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Roleplay Theatre The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!

Closed Thread

Old January 6th, 2014 (09:17 AM). Edited January 6th, 2014 by Apotheosis.
nine lives one love
ModeratorCS

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Greiger:
In truth... with how personality is done, I wouldn't be against simply making the personality section a roleplay sample with the character. Like roleplaying the character in their daily life and perhaps doing a good three paragraphs to show how you intend to play the character. Not only that, but it would show the GM how well you rp and how you intend to play your character as.
I think that's what Skymin does in her RPs lately, so maybe those who have signed up for them can testify whether it works well or not :) At one or a few times, I've just made a field called "Biography" in the SU sheet, forcing RPers to merge history and personality into some kind of background where they can state whatever they feel necessary for the GM and the other players to get a feel for the character before the RP starts. That option could be a bit too fluffy and undefined, though. Again, it can vary from RP to RP. For "journey" RPs with pokémon, maybe history isn't as important as personality for example.

Hey guys btw did you notice that there are now prefixes for threads in the RPC? 8D

mod of Roleplay Theatre and Pokémon General
paired with seeker, creator of Phoenix Rising
Old January 6th, 2014 (10:02 AM).
well
Gold Tier

The thing is, though I like the idea of roleplay samples representing a character's personality, I use SUs personally to see what my character is like, whether it's their appearance or anything else. Taking out the personality could make writing harder if you've had a break, are juggling with several different rps or just easily forgettable like me. Just my two cents.
Old January 6th, 2014 (10:35 AM).
The Evil Queen
ModeratorCS

Quote originally posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers:
Hey guys btw did you notice that there are now prefixes for threads in the RPC? 8D
[Pokémon] [Other] HEY LOOK A THING.

:D
Old January 6th, 2014 (11:07 AM).
Magnificent Turnip

AAAHH NEW THREAD! It's so lovely and shiny... I'm a little late here, I guess, I kept forgetting to subscribe.

I'm in two RPs, and I GM one of those. Except the one I GM isn't actually up-and-going yet, but RAISINS. (Insert shameless advertising here)

I think I answered the sandbox/structured question, or something similar, in the non-shiny RPD thread, so on to number three! SUs are pretty fun, for me. Usually, though, it's not so much creating a character in signup format as it is forming a character beforehand, or while reading the RP (to get a feel for it) and then putting the character into SU form. I generally like the characters I come up with, so I've no problem with writing about them. Gives me a better feel for the character, lets me write things about them that I usually wouldn't consider.

NEW THINGS? Oh, lordy, my thread is an Other, I feel so special

Old January 6th, 2014 (11:13 AM).
The Evil Queen
ModeratorCS

They're still being tweaked (very slowly) bear with! I'm gonna slowly edit up peoples threads <_< PM me any protests.

Names like Pokémon: blahblah will probably become [Pokémon] Blahblah.
Old January 6th, 2014 (01:48 PM).
What did you say about my hair

Regarding the personalityhistory discussion, I personally really using a sign up to develop a character and both of those sections really help with my brainstorming, since I know otherwise I would probably just leave things be. History is a good means for finding motivation for your character and having appropriate reasons for them to responding to certain things.

For example, when I first made a wrote a sign up for Anise, in her history I had her be attacked by a Houndoom, a very traumatic event for her, this had led having a reasonable (though maybe not negative) response to Houndooms in particular.With this I have a lot I could do to develop her character forward, give her a challenge to overcome or a weakness she can't deal with. If I had not written out her history for the sign up, this little trait would have probably never existed and any opportunity to expand on it would never have existed.

And the only reason I had this event first occur in her history was because I needed something to catalyze her personality. Anise was originally just going to a very happy looking kid while being very manipulative. She needed a reason to be manipulative, so I decided to make her insecure and why was she insecure? The train continues and soon enough I have a much more well rounded character. Because she had a traumatic event in her childhood. I'm a lazy person so if I could have just left it at just "happy but dark person" I probably would have and put more focus in her development through the journey rather than her back story. I feel like having a proper history planned make decision making a lot easier for characters which also ultimately prevents plot holes when it comes to meaning behind actions.

I just feel like you create a much more complete character if you actually take your time to write out their personality and history, though this may just be more effective for me personally.

Roleplay Characters

Anise Briar

___

Apollo: A Journey of the Gifted

Old January 6th, 2014 (03:12 PM). Edited January 6th, 2014 by PkMnTrainer Yellow.
Pokemon Professor / RP Mentor
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
Personally I find that a good character's personality is nothing more than a reflection of their history and how it helped shaped them as people. As a GM, usually I use the personality field for one very specific thing: Quickly identifying whether an RPer has given their character any clear flaws. That's something that can be a lot harder to identify using history or even a sample post.

I've seen RPs that use a simple biography field instead of a split history / personality and that's great too, except some people will take that as an excuse not to write much if at all about their character's actual personality resulting in the same problem listed above.

I think that's the primary reason the personality field has been such a long stay in SUs. It's direct, leaves little room for incorrect interpretation and solves a problem most other types of SUs don't necessarily.
Old January 6th, 2014 (03:46 PM).
death by TRUST NO ONE suicide
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
What new prefixes I don't even my world is changing

As for the current topic about Sign-Up Sheets / Personality sections: I believe that I prefer it if a SU Sheet has a Personality section. It lets others get an idea of your character, even if you don't play it out exactly how you may have described it. Beyond that, a lot of times I don't have every detail of my character down beforehand. Even with characters I've established in the past, sometimes I come up with new ideas and quirks for the character when writing out the personality.

Quote originally posted by PkMnTrainer Yellow:
Personally I find that a good character's personality is nothing more than a reflection of their history and how it helped shaped them as people. As a GM, usually I use the personality field for one very specific thing: Quickly identifying whether an RPer has given their character any clear flaws. That's something that can be a lot harder to identify using history or even a sample post.
And I also come up with flaws I may not originally have thought of, so I agree with this.

When an SU Sheet doesn't contain a Personality section (I think one of Skymin's RPs was the only one like that that I ever joined.), I tend to just add one when writing it anyway.

How many RPs are you part of right now? How many of them do you GM?

I'm only in one roleplay at the moment, considering my activity levels don't really allow for too much roleplaying at the moment. I am currently GMing none, but I do have one ready to submit. I'm still not sure if I should. It's just a journey roleplay, so I'm not sure of the interest.

Do you prefer sandbox roleplays or more structured roleplays? Why?

Aaaaaaaaaaaah depends on my mood, I guess. They can both be fun for vastly different reasons. I enjoy both.

Do you enjoy writing sign-up sheets?

Yes and no. I have a tendency to take forever writing anything, so having to do the SU Sheet can be tedious. At the same time, though, the SU Sheet helps me develop a character so much, sometimes in ways I wouldn't have originally taken with that character.
Old January 6th, 2014 (04:02 PM).
Que sera sera~

You know it has my interest, Nakuzami. I helped you develop it after all!

Although I'm in the same position. Heart Stealer is pretty much definitely ready to go but I'm postponing it a week (maybe) so I can clear a few personal things out of the way and give it my full attention. Regardless it's pretty much set for posting!
Old January 6th, 2014 (08:56 PM).
death by TRUST NO ONE suicide
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Okay! But, um, when I first wrote out The Lost Islands League 2.0, I guess I decided to give Professor Rowan a first name. Does anyone think that would be awkward?

Like, is it weird or just plain wrong to assign a first or last name to canon characters that never officially received one? I think it would be awkward to have the Professors not be on a first name basis, and only half of the regional professors have first names that we're aware of.

'Cause now this little detail is making me question whether I should post the roleplay at all. Agh! It's all ruined because three people don't have a first name. Oh my lord.
Old January 6th, 2014 (09:02 PM).
In MACs we trust

So my RP has been accepted:
Return From Exile

Its a Sci Fi RP so a little out of the ordinary for this site but thought why not. Any feedback is welcome even if you're not interested in joining. If you are interested there are plenty of slots open.
Old January 7th, 2014 (08:47 AM).
The Evil Queen
ModeratorCS

I think it's about time we had a new event up in here.

/hinthint

/intheworks
Old January 7th, 2014 (08:51 AM).
nine lives one love
ModeratorCS

RPs are pretty much like alwaysgoingon events. Did you have something forum-spanning in mind again?

Old January 7th, 2014 (08:59 AM).
The Evil Queen
ModeratorCS

It's much more contained than our last one, and hopefully it'll please those who miss/missed the RPOs. Small, mini-roleplay/writing events.
Old January 8th, 2014 (03:42 AM).
nine lives one love
ModeratorCS

Looks cool! Hopefully even people who feel busy can participate in this~

Exam times sure are unforgiving. My douchebrain thinks up RP ideas and tempts me to join RPs every day when I've filled it with too much chemistry formulas. But I shall resist. Maybe.

Old January 8th, 2014 (03:36 PM).
Cookies are a necessary evil.

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to DLMuerte
YAY FIRST POST IN THE NEW RPD *shot*

How many RPs are you part of right now? How many of them do you GM?

Like, 7:0, RPs part of to GM'd. I posted an advertisement for the RP I'm still devising atm in the old RPD, but I won't speak of it because I might change the name :#

Do you prefer sandbox roleplays or more structured roleplays? Why?

More structured roleplays. From personal experience, sandbox roleplays are hard to write for, because usually if I'm joining a roleplay, my character needs some kind of goal or a reason to do something. I can't really write when there's no reason to write, because then I'll be bothered by the old question of "is the GM bothered by this?" or "should I ask the GM this?" or "is this too cliche?" to the point where I'm just lost on what to do. On more structured roleplays, many times I'm able to give my characters an initiative pretty easily.

Do you enjoy writing sign-up sheets?

Yup! Well, it depends. Sometimes SUs are a drag for me, because it takes some time and NAMES AUGH. I'm bad at names. But usually in histories and personalities is when I can sit down and have some fun.

Is it weird or just plain wrong to assign a first or last name to canon characters that never officially received one?

Not exactly. I mean, as long as you don't call Rowan, like, I dunno just something totally weird or wrong, that's fine.

I might not be dead! I might be. I dunno. Nachos.
Old January 8th, 2014 (09:56 PM).
I'm a self aware man, I'm also borderline narcissistic

Nature: Brave
Just a question for everyone. Persona RP. Thoughts on that I have been conjuring it up in my head and thought that each character chooses an S.Link that kind of relates to their personality and they chose a Persona... not sure how to completely go about it.

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old January 9th, 2014 (12:43 PM). Edited January 10th, 2014 by Stingray.
In MACs we trust

So I edited my RP's story a little bit (Ok really I just skipped the Prologue and jumped straight into the actual meat of the story). So hopefully worth another look if you thought the original seemed a little boring...

"Our past is a lie, our present is destroyed, we are being hunted, and our home is 47,000 light years away."
Old January 9th, 2014 (02:52 PM).
Que sera sera~

Quote originally posted by «Chuckles»:
Just a question for everyone. Persona RP. Thoughts on that I have been conjuring it up in my head and thought that each character chooses an S.Link that kind of relates to their personality and they chose a Persona... not sure how to completely go about it.
I've been spending an awful lot of time recently discussing with a friend about the potential of a Persona roleplay so I actually have plenty of ideas for this if you want help with it. Maybe I'll be able to kick you into high gear with it if you're willing to let me throw a bit of myself into the mix.

Regardless I would be interested. I call the Emperor arcana!
Old January 9th, 2014 (05:29 PM).
King of the Hell

SOULBOND is in serious need of players! I'm removing the player cap, but if SOULDBOND doesn't gain some players, it may not make it to IC Status!

Old January 9th, 2014 (05:54 PM).
Furude
ModeratorCS

Nature: Mild
@Chuckles - Whilst I don't know much of Persona, what I have heard sounds really interesting. Definitely worth a shot.

@Dusk - Soulbond looks great I don't know how it hasn't gotten more attention then that! I might join myself but I'm working on bringing out some RPs of my own and on maintaining my activity in others. So yeah, those who aren't too busy join Dusk's RP already it looks awesome.

"All right. I'll play a game with this endless June."

Roleplay Theatre | The Underground |
Pairs
Lokiepie, Chalifoux & Crunch Punch
|
Blog
The Pie Bakery

Old January 9th, 2014 (08:31 PM). Edited January 9th, 2014 by «Chuckles».

Thanks Gimmiepie and Grif of Hearts. This is just a preview of what I have been working on.

I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I cometh…
Welcome to the velvet room. My it would seem you have a most unusual destiny lying before you. Some introduction I am Igor and I am quite pleased to make your acquaintance. You see, this realm exists between mind & matter. It separates dream from reality. Generally speaking only those who have forged a contract are allowed to visit this room and maybe soon such a fate will be awaiting you as well.
To expand you are no ordinary individual, you have a great power tucked away inside of you. As you will find out soon, you will be required to use a Persona. You see A Persona is a manifestation of a person's personality. There are many Persona’s one can have but I cannot simply hand them because then that Persona would become violent and difficult to control possibly killing the user and we can’t have that especially for such a fine young person. It seems my time is up, now if you want to proceed, please sign your name there. It's a contract don't worry it won’t bite, oh I almost forgot pick a card….

tell me what you guys think and if there are any errors please tell me.

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old January 9th, 2014 (09:15 PM).
Don't think, feel.

Nature: Relaxed
Hmm...I think you might want to sharpen that part about what a persona is. In Persona 4, the personae are described "facades used to overcome life's hardships", and that's a rather simple way of putting it, but it's true enough. This isn't to say that a persona isn't the manifestation of one's personality, it definitely is, but only when it's awakened does it truly become one's personality. Otherwise, a persona is simply a mask that one wears because they're not willing to open up, they're being repressed, they aren't comfortable with themselves, or that they don't know themselves well enough to know what their "true self" is.

Also, you say "There are many Persona's" when it should be "There are many Personas" or "There are many Personae". That sentence is also mostly run-on, you might one it to go like this:
Quote:
You see, a Persona is a manifestation of one's personality. There are many Personas one can possess, but I cannot simply hand them out; if I did that, the Persona would become violent and difficult to control, possibly killing the user. We can’t have that, especially for such a fine young person.
There are also word changes and the addition of punctuation, so use it as you see fit. I changed some of it to sound more Igor-ish, hopefully nothing too objectionable, though. There are also some other changes that are needed, such as the capitalization of Velvet Room, a comma after "My" in the second sentance, possibly a semicolon after mind & matter (but that's optional), and a comma after "Generally Speaking".

Other than that, though, it seems pretty good. I'm interested in seeing where you'll take the idea.
Old January 10th, 2014 (05:24 AM).
part time demon hunter
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Persona is great and all, but with my experience with the game they very much like to be complex and (well to me anyway Persona 1 was weiiirrddd) confusing.

what's great though is that persona, the fighting and the character relationships are both important things. which is what RPing does very well. but yeah good luck with the plot because if you wanna make it persona-able just have multiple subplots happening at once with 400000000 open ended questions until the end AND EVEN THEN

/cries.

maybe i'm just bad at persona.
Old January 10th, 2014 (04:53 PM).

I hear you but at least when it comes to heaps of subplots they will all be controlled by the characters (S.Links). I am still working on the plot and I don't have a complete idea where I want the story to complete it's difficult if I want to make a complete new story but I could just use a generic Shin Megami Tensei plot where it's like demons want to invade or its time for us humans to rebel against god etc. etc.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)