Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 10th, 2014 (12:19 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Since the old thread got closed and I believe this kind of thread should still belong to this section, I'm creating a new one with the same purpose.
To discuss ROM hacking freely.

This is NOT a helping thread. There are other where you can ask.
This solely exist as a discussion thread for new inventions, new discoveries or other topics covering ROM Hacking business.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old January 24th, 2014 (04:40 AM).
LuisPro

I got question:

Its possible to make Pokemon Fire Red without IV system?

I mean total remove IV system or set ALL starters, wild, npc pokemons to 15 iv or eny other way
also include remove hidden power system if it exist in Fire Red idk ;P

Please told me if its possible and where i can read something about how to create this hack

Thanks.
Old January 25th, 2014 (04:58 AM).
Kakarot1212
Awesome as always...

Nature: Naughty
No, its not possible, in my knowledge. Cause the IV system is in the gba engine of FireRed, or any gen 3 games.
But idk if this is possible through some ASM hack. But i really dont have that knowledge yet.

楓 弘詩
“ Programs must be written for people
to read, and only incidentally for
machines to execute. ”
Pair Pair | Facebook | Showdown | PHO | Twitter
| Text Hex Convert v2.1.0|
Old January 26th, 2014 (03:34 PM).
ninjatree42

I have a question about pokemon emerald. I'm wondering if itwould be possible to make your pokemon follow you like ppkemon yellow or the newer games?
Old January 27th, 2014 (12:17 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by ninjatree42:
I have a question about pokemon emerald. I'm wondering if itwould be possible to make your pokemon follow you like ppkemon yellow or the newer games?
The routine has been worked on but I believe it's forgotten somewhere...
Maybe even in the previous RH Discussion thread...

Old January 27th, 2014 (10:22 AM).
FaeBladez

What is the "Best" rom to hack? Emerald? Firered? Which has the most options etc
Old January 27th, 2014 (02:40 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by FaeBladez:
What is the "Best" rom to hack? Emerald? Firered? Which has the most options etc
Depends on what you want to have in your ROM.
Emerald is useful because of animated sprites but some tools aren't working well with it.

Fire Red is considered to be most useful because many useful features were implemented for it.

Old January 28th, 2014 (02:16 AM).
Kakarot1212
Awesome as always...

Quote originally posted by ninjatree42:
The routine has not been figured out yet. But it is being worked on.
But sad to say, it is not in emerald, its in FR. The Discussion thread can be found HERE.

楓 弘詩
machines to execute. ”
Old February 1st, 2014 (04:59 PM).
ninjatree42

I read it I'm hopefull it will happen cause i think that's the best part of yellow i wish they would have just kept it in all the games
Old March 8th, 2014 (08:04 PM).
MaxxSwagAbsol

Can any one make a rom hack that implements Red, Ethan, Brendan, Lucas, Hilbert, Nate, Calem, Wes, Michael, Kris, May, Leaf, Dawn, Lyra, Hilda, Rosa, Serena, Mark, Mint, Lunick, Kellyn, Ben, Solana, Kate, Summer, Hero, Heroine, Todd Snap, Blue, Silver, Wally, Barry, Cheren, Bianca, Hugh, Shauna because i heard someone say that Pokemon Lihgt Platinum had all the rivals there could be so i thaught how cool would it be if there was a hack with every one in it and todd snap cuz i feel like he doesnt get enough attention
Old March 9th, 2014 (01:25 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by MaxxSwagAbsol:
Can any one make a rom hack that implements Red, Ethan, Brendan, Lucas, Hilbert, Nate, Calem, Wes, Michael, Kris, May, Leaf, Dawn, Lyra, Hilda, Rosa, Serena, Mark, Mint, Lunick, Kellyn, Ben, Solana, Kate, Summer, Hero, Heroine, Todd Snap, Blue, Silver, Wally, Barry, Cheren, Bianca, Hugh, Shauna because i heard someone say that Pokemon Lihgt Platinum had all the rivals there could be so i thaught how cool would it be if there was a hack with every one in it and todd snap cuz i feel like he doesnt get enough attention
Light Platinum actually showed that enormous amount of rivals is not good for hack.
They won't get enough character development and will be degraded to common NPC trainers.

Old March 9th, 2014 (06:55 AM).
Ewery1
Buizels FTW!

Nature: Jolly
So, I'm not entirely sure if this is possible, but in my rom hack I am geting rid of the need for HMs, because HMs suck. So for moves like fly, surf, and dive, is it possible to have those functions with an item in the key items section?

Get your own one here http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307712
Old March 10th, 2014 (08:13 AM).
Kakarot1212
Awesome as always...

Quote originally posted by Ewery1:
So, I'm not entirely sure if this is possible, but in my rom hack I am geting rid of the need for HMs, because HMs suck. So for moves like fly, surf, and dive, is it possible to have those functions with an item in the key items section?
Yep, you can, but through ASM

楓 弘詩
machines to execute. ”
Old March 10th, 2014 (10:35 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Hiroshi Kaede:
Yep, you can, but through ASM
I'm pretty sure Metapod did this without ASM in AshGray...
And if I'm correct all you need to do is check whether the desired item is in inventory and if it is, prompt a YES/NO and YES would lead to animation of obstacle being destroyed/moved by using the default routine of ROM.

Old March 10th, 2014 (07:05 PM).
Peitharchia
& having to receive it

Going to throw in a new topic here; hope you guys don't mind! Anyway, when playing hacks, what do you look forward to the most? For me, it would have to be introduction. In my opinion, it's one of the things that either make or break a ROM hack. If it's something good and attention-grabbing, chances of me actually playing it would be raised higher. If it's not, then, well, I might quit playing before I even manage to reach the first gym. :P
Old April 5th, 2014 (08:43 AM).
Christos
do you even gift?

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to Christos
Quote originally posted by Peitharchia:
Going to throw in a new topic here; hope you guys don't mind! Anyway, when playing hacks, what do you look forward to the most? For me, it would have to be introduction. In my opinion, it's one of the things that either make or break a ROM hack. If it's something good and attention-grabbing, chances of me actually playing it would be raised higher. If it's not, then, well, I might quit playing before I even manage to reach the first gym. :P
It's almost the same for me, but what keeps me going is how the game continues after that. For example, if the game starts off really nicely but there's no progress in the story for a few gyms, then I'll probably stop playing it. I love hacks with an interesting story that actually get you excited about what's next after one or two towns/cities. However, having rivals, villains and special pokémon battles for every 10 steps I take isn't very good either. I enjoy frequent story events, but I also enjoy having the freedom to actually explore without being blocked by Team Rocket grunts in every map.
Old April 22nd, 2014 (03:17 AM).
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

I was wondering what everyone though about gameplay mechanics in hacks? By this I was wondering if people preferred playing the 3rd gen mechanics or prefer updated system ie. P/S split and 5th gen exp growth? Was also wondering if people would be complelely put off of playing a hack that exclusively used the default mechanics?
Old April 22nd, 2014 (05:13 AM).
ThomasWinwood

Nature: Relaxed
The physical/special split is pretty much a dealbreaker for me - with how easy it is to implement, there's so many reasons to use it and so few reasons not to that I can't understand why anyone would make the conscious decision not to use it.

The Gen V experience yield seems to have been produced as a crutch to make up for the diminutive size of the Unova region rather than for smoother gameplay - I doubt it has any place in a hack, since hackers routinely produce smooth level curves leading up to an Elite Four in the level 70-80 range without it.
Old April 22nd, 2014 (02:49 PM).
Christos
do you even gift?

As easy as the Physical/Special split is to implement, I wouldn't want to see it implemented if there are no new moves added in the hack. It wouldn't be that bad, but there wouldn't be a balance between the physical and special moves for each type.

What do you guys think about evil teams in hacks, or generally the pokémon games? I think they've been overused and I'd be more interested in having a different kind of villain. What kind of villain are you all using in your hacks? And if it's an evil team, what makes it different than the teams from the previous pokémon games?
Old April 22nd, 2014 (02:51 PM).
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Spheal:
As easy as the Physical/Special split is to implement, I wouldn't want to see it implemented if there are no new moves added in the hack. It wouldn't be that bad, but there wouldn't be a balance between the physical and special moves for each type.

What do you guys think about evil teams in hacks, or generally the pokémon games? I think they've been overused and I'd be more interested in having a different kind of villain. What kind of villain are you all using in your hacks? And if it's an evil team, what makes it different than the teams from the previous pokémon games?
But even without new moves it allows for Pokémon movesets to be better balanced. Allows for some water type moves to go from being all special to allowing better physical water type attackers to have a better advantage.
Old April 22nd, 2014 (03:10 PM).
Christos
do you even gift?

Quote originally posted by Shinx:
But even without new moves it allows for Pokémon movesets to be better balanced. Allows for some water type moves to go from being all special to allowing better physical water type attackers to have a better advantage.
Well if there are no new moves, I would rather just keep the default 3rd generation mechanics, since I didn't find them that bad anyway.
Old April 22nd, 2014 (04:07 PM).
CosmicBlazer
Batman

Do people really care for the new generation Pokemon that much? Is it important to have in a hack? It's impossible to put all Pokemon in a GBA rom. So would it be better for a hack to have some Pokemon from each Generation or maybe Pokemon from just one hack inserted into the hack. Tell what you guys think. It will help me

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that who ever believe in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.[/sig-reason]
Old April 22nd, 2014 (11:06 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Shinx:
For this reason, I would be against P/S split.
It's more interesting and in a way harder to play without P/S split =)

Old April 22nd, 2014 (11:26 PM).
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Satoshi Ookami:
For this reason, I would be against P/S split.
It's more interesting and in a way harder to play without P/S split =)
Maybe. That is a very interesting take on the whole situation, I do believe that gameplay balance should take precedence over difficulty though.

Quote originally posted by SonLJ:
Do people really care for the new generation Pokemon that much? Is it important to have in a hack? It's impossible to put all Pokemon in a GBA rom. So would it be better for a hack to have some Pokemon from each Generation or maybe Pokemon from just one hack inserted into the hack. Tell what you guys think. It will help me
Personally I don't tend to touch anything pas 4th gen but it's just personal preference, it can't be denied that it helps to vary the game with different Pokemon.
Old April 23rd, 2014 (12:18 AM).
Christos
do you even gift?

Quote originally posted by SonLJ:
Since I haven't played anything after gen 3 that much, I enjoy hacks with new generation pokémon, as long as there's variety and balance between the types.

But I wouldn't want to see every single pokémon in a hack, 719 pokémon is too much even for three regions. The majority of the original pokémon games have about 150 pokémon for the regional pokédex. A hack could be more varied with wild pokémon and have around 200, and a few more legendaries and special pokémon, but if it was over 250 I'd find it too much for just one region.

Personally, in my hack, I'm planning two regions with around 160-170 obtainable pokémon in each, and some more legendaries and rare pokémon events, so that's about 350-360 obtainable pokémon. However, if I see that it's still not an ideal number, I will have less or more obtainable pokémon accordingly.

Sponsored Links