Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page [Discussion] ROM Hacking Discussion v2

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old April 23rd, 2014 (07:16 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
I can't disagree more with the previous posts on this subject. We know full well what happens when your regional Pokédex is too small because we've seen it numerous times both by Gamefreak and by hackers emulating them like Doesnt.

Hoenn had a regional Pokédex of about 200. The result: Phoebe's team consisted of Banette and Dusclops and nothing else, and Glacia was using Glalie and unevolved Sealeo. Sinnoh (Diamond and Pearl, specifically) had a regional Pokédex of 151. The result: some trainers weren't even able to have full teams of their type. Candice had a Medicham (and an unevolved Snover); Volkner had an Octillery and an Ambipom; Aaron had a Drapion (and a Beautifly and Dustox); Flint had a Steelix, a Lopunny and a Drifblim.

Given that a minute Pokédex hampers your player's enjoyment (I don't know anyone who hasn't praised the amount of variety in the expanded Unovadex and Kalosdex) as well as your ability to craft threatening opponents as a game designer, I can't imagine why you'd ever go with a regional Pokédex as small as those used in vanilla Gen III. e: Though I also agree that going all the way to 721 is dumb - implementing all those Pokémon would be exhausting. 386 is a good 'dex size, in my opinion, and conveniently it's the number of slots in the game without expanding anything.
Old April 23rd, 2014 (12:14 PM).
chase is my favourite
ModeratorBSCS

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by ThomasWinwood:
I can't disagree more with the previous posts on this subject. We know full well what happens when your regional Pokédex is too small because we've seen it numerous times both by Gamefreak and by hackers emulating them like Doesnt.

Hoenn had a regional Pokédex of about 200. The result: Phoebe's team consisted of Banette and Dusclops and nothing else, and Glacia was using Glalie and unevolved Sealeo. Sinnoh (Diamond and Pearl, specifically) had a regional Pokédex of 151. The result: some trainers weren't even able to have full teams of their type. Candice had a Medicham (and an unevolved Snover); Volkner had an Octillery and an Ambipom; Aaron had a Drapion (and a Beautifly and Dustox); Flint had a Steelix, a Lopunny and a Drifblim.

Given that a minute Pokédex hampers your player's enjoyment (I don't know anyone who hasn't praised the amount of variety in the expanded Unovadex and Kalosdex) as well as your ability to craft threatening opponents as a game designer, I can't imagine why you'd ever go with a regional Pokédex as small as those used in vanilla Gen III. e: Though I also agree that going all the way to 721 is dumb - implementing all those Pokémon would be exhausting. 386 is a good 'dex size, in my opinion, and conveniently it's the number of slots in the game without expanding anything.
My ideal "regional" pokédex would be around 170 because I'm planning two regions, which would then add to just under 386 if I add a few more extra pokémon. If a hack had only on region accessible, 170 would probably look too few for a pokémon game.

I did like what Game Freak did with Kalos where each region had around 150 pokémon each, so such a number would be great for a hack with multiple regions.
Old April 28th, 2014 (05:34 PM).
Batman

For Mega Evolution, there are some sprites I have seen some sprites of Mega Evolution. Now my thing is would it better to make it part of the Pokemon's evolution like say Charizard can evolve one time into Mega X or Y. Or would there be some way to temporarily make the Pokemon who can mega Evolve during the battle and change back to their normal form.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that who ever believe in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.[/sig-reason]
Old April 29th, 2014 (04:54 PM).
Kenna18155

Nature: Quiet
Are there ANY hacks of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games AT ALL? If so, what are their names?
Old April 29th, 2014 (11:41 PM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Kenna18155:
Are there ANY hacks of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games AT ALL? If so, what are their names?
Nope. PMD isn't hack-able at the moment.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old April 30th, 2014 (01:41 PM).
Would you like to rest your Pokémon?

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by CosmicBlazer:
For Mega Evolution, there are some sprites I have seen some sprites of Mega Evolution. Now my thing is would it better to make it part of the Pokemon's evolution like say Charizard can evolve one time into Mega X or Y. Or would there be some way to temporarily make the Pokemon who can mega Evolve during the battle and change back to their normal form.
I would think it would be implemented in a way similar to weather. Castform changes form with different weather conditions, and changes back after battle. Unfortunately, this would force you to sacrifice a Pokemon's move to be able to Mega Evolve... And if this condition could be automatically started in battle by use of a held item, it'd probably have to occur every battle.

That's what I think, but don't take my word for it. I'm still pretty noob-y.
Old May 2nd, 2014 (08:43 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Thread is being closed because the entire 'ROM Hacking' subforum is now used for discussion only. Discuss away in your own threads guys!

Closed.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)