The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Introvert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour-D View Post
^ not even gonna argue, we'll obviously get nowhere because your oblivious to parenting and gang violence to think parents can do anything about it especially in the ghetto of any age. Parents can do very little to help. Instead of blaming the parents why don't you blame the community and the environment??
Hahaha you're hilarious mate! So I'm oblivious for thinking that parents could and should prevent more youths from joining up with gangs? Wow I'm utterly speechless that you would even say that. I don't have such a defeatist attitude when it comes to parenting. If you think parents are powerless to help then that's on you but I can't believe you would say such a thing.

If you paid attention you'd realize that I DID mention that rougher areas (which does imply the community and environment) are more likely to attract people into a life of crime. And even if I didn't mention the community and the environment (which again I did by the way) that still doesn't mean that I don't think that they are apart of the problem also. I was just pointing out that the parents are responsible AS WELL. I didn't say that 100% of the responsibility should go towards the parents.

Quote:
Imo, all schools should be strict at the teachings of gang activity starting at an early age (especially schools in a rough area). If schools would do this, less and less children (yes teenagers are children) would get involved in it if they knew what to look out for. Never once did the schools warn me about gangs, instead I had to figure out myself because not even my parents taught me about gangs.
Sure. I never said that schools shouldn't try and get involved with preventing youths joining gangs. All I was saying is that it starts at home with the family who raise their kids. But yeah the more people who try and prevent this sort of thing the better.
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:45 PM
T The Manager
Purple Clouds

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Introvert View Post
Hahaha you're hilarious mate! So I'm oblivious for thinking that parents could and should prevent more youths from joining up with gangs? Wow I'm utterly speechless that you would even say that. I don't have such a defeatist attitude when it comes to parenting. If you think parents are powerless to help then that's on you but I can't believe you would say such a thing.
You can think what you want, I ain't stoppin you lol. All I'm asking is how the parents prevent children from getting involved with gangs, especially bad areas? I don't know how many times this need to be said, but very rarely will gangs go into a neighborhood outside of theirs to recruit new members. You really think gangster go into a rich or safe neighborhood to recruit new members? Most of the recruiting comes from the block or area their from which is high crime rated areas. As for suburbs of bad area's, yeah it's more of the parents responsibility than a rough area because the child/teenager is raised in a safer area meaning the parents will do anything to keep their child safe. In the ghetto, there is no safe way. There's too much **** that goes on in a bad area for the parents to have control. I'm sure you should know this, but a lot of the parents in the ghetto are GANG AFFILIATED.

Quote:
If you paid attention you'd realize that I DID mention that rougher areas (which does imply the community and environment) are more likely to attract people into a life of crime. And even if I didn't mention the community and the environment (which again I did by the way) that still doesn't mean that I don't think that they are apart of the problem also. I was just pointing out that the parents are responsible AS WELL. I didn't say that 100% of the responsibility should go towards the parents.
Life outside an area without crime it's not a problem. It's only a problem in bad area's, and as I said earlier it's difficult to stop the youth from getting involved. Most of the parents in a bad area either don't care, do care, or their too ****ed up off drugs to even give a ****.

Quote:
Sure. I never said that schools shouldn't try and get involved with preventing youths joining gangs. All I was saying is that it starts at home with the family who raise their kids. But yeah the more people who try and prevent this sort of thing the better.
If raised in a good home a child/teenager will know right from wrong when it comes to something like this. But again, they don't live through horrific scenes everyday, they aren't getting brainwashed by gang recruiters, there aren't bars on windows to prevent robberies (which doesn't even work in the hood), they don't see homeless people sleeping on the streets, etc because it's not an issue. It's only an issue if they live in a good area but there's gangsters at the school they go to. That's when parents should have total control because their child may be at risk at this point if they do get involved and don't know anything about gangs. Parents should be the last to blame in a rough area, but they still should be to blame for not giving a ****.
Old January 12th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Introvert
Banned

Quote:
You can think what you want, I ain't stoppin you lol. All I'm asking is how the parents prevent children from getting involved with gangs, especially bad areas? I don't know how many times this need to be said, but very rarely will gangs go into a neighborhood outside of theirs to recruit new members. You really think gangster go into a rich or safe neighborhood to recruit new members? Most of the recruiting comes from the block or area their from which is high crime rated areas. As for suburbs of bad area's, yeah it's more of the parents responsibility than a rough area because the child/teenager is raised in a safer area meaning the parents will do anything to keep their child safe. In the ghetto, there is no safe way. There's too much **** that goes on in a bad area for the parents to have control. I'm sure you should know this, but a lot of the parents in the ghetto are GANG AFFILIATED.
You never actually asked how parents could prevent children from getting involved with gangs. You flat out said parents couldn't do anything about it and then you called me oblivious for suggesting otherwise. As for what parents can do? I think general good parenting goes a long way in preventing these situations. Making sure your children trust you and that you have an open line of dialogue with them so they can tell you when something is wrong. Making sure you know what you're kids are doing even when they aren't at home, where they are going after school. Being familiar with your kid's friends and the families of the kid's friends so you get a general sense of who your child is hanging out with.

There are ways to keep tabs on your children without restricting their social life. It just requires mutual trust and honesty from both the child and the parents. Those are just a couple of examples and none of them are full-proof, but I'm just saying there are more things parents could be doing to stop their kids from getting involved with gangs.

Quote:
Life outside an area without crime it's not a problem. It's only a problem in bad area's, and as I said earlier it's difficult to stop the youth from getting involved. Most of the parents in a bad area either don't care, do care, or their too ****ed up off drugs to even give a ****.

If raised in a good home a child/teenager will know right from wrong when it comes to something like this. But again, they don't live through horrific scenes everyday, they aren't getting brainwashed by gang recruiters, there aren't bars on windows to prevent robberies (which doesn't even work in the hood), they don't see homeless people sleeping on the streets, etc because it's not an issue. It's only an issue if they live in a good area but there's gangsters at the school they go to. That's when parents should have total control because their child may be at risk at this point if they do get involved and don't know anything about gangs. Parents should be the last to blame in a rough area, but they still should be to blame for not giving a ****.
There's crime pretty much everywhere but yes I agree it's much worse in certain places. The worse the area is that you live in, the more important it is to keep an eye on your children. I also agree that there are a lot of parents in these bad areas that don't care or do enough to stop their children from getting involved with gangs. But apathy is no excuse. Nor is anyone's financial, social or educational situation. Many parents aren't fit to raise their kids, but once they bring a child into this world it's the parents duty to make sure they raise them well and keep them safe. Again I'm not saying it's easy but that's the way it is and should always be.

Also I'm just throwing this out there, not as a response to anyone in particular. But for what it's worth if I lived in a REALLY bad area then I wouldn't even think about having kids unless I moved. Even if I thought I was going to be a good parent it would be too risky.
Old January 12th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Cadance
& Shining Armour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Cadance
I lived in da hood when I was a teenager. I was no stranger to gangs, although I was never involved or anything.

However, when I was a junior, starting in a new high school, the only gangs we had were the following: the Mexicans living in the US, and the Mexicans representing Mexico. It's a long story, and the only fights that break out are the fights from those gangs. The lunch tables in my high school were segregated by those gangs.

DARRELL WALLACE JR.
mudsummer classic 2014 winner | eldora speedway, ohio | july 23, 2014
moderator of fan clubs & groups | battle server moderator

[22:39] ★srinator: ur sig would become so much more better with my name on it
Shining Armour
leave of absence ~ july 26 to aug 3
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
So I was hanging out with my brother onetime. And he invited his friends. And his friend invited his friends. And they were all crips. And I was like "oh sh..."

Wonder Trade!!!
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Limerent
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I don't know of any 'gangs' around here as in waving colours, having a title etc, but there are "lads", take a google search, the British equivalent would be Chavs and American White Trash. They are the scum of society, a culture of neglect, vandalism, alcohol, drugs, tobacco, violence and ignoring education and employment, safe in the knowledge that the Australian government will pay for their bludging existence. It's a problem in the urban low socio economic areas i'm in, but they're ignorant and have no desire to help themselves. I wonder if rural areas have these issues.

The teens congregate as gangs and threaten violence. Once my sister and I got a knife pulled on us by some of these punks as we were walking home from school, we ran.

There's also a big problem in my school with Pacific Islander thugs. The groups I know are bullies to those weaker than them and settle things with violence, one day we had a lockdown due to an all in brawl over a girl or something. I don't care if they like to hurt each other but it's really disgusting that they prey upon the innocent. Seeing ambulances called for the kids lying on the pavement after school... One of their group went to prison for murder after punching a 60 year old man in the face, it's scary the power the human fists can have. That's the MO of gangs I guess.

A lot of rap music glorifies gang culture and violence, it's foolish to think music stars don't have influence over people.
Old January 13th, 2014, 02:16 AM
Introvert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by O07_eleven View Post
There's also a big problem in my school with Pacific Islander thugs. The groups I know are bullies to those weaker than them and settle things with violence, one day we had a lockdown due to an all in brawl over a girl or something. I don't care if they like to hurt each other but it's really disgusting that they prey upon the innocent. Seeing ambulances called for the kids lying on the pavement after school... One of their group went to prison for murder after punching a 60 year old man in the face, it's scary the power the human fists can have. That's the MO of gangs I guess.
At first I didn't wanna bring up any race in particular just in case PokeCommunity got a little too PC. Get it? But yeah when groups of Islanders get together with the intention of causing trouble it can be an absolute nightmare. Hell even one Islander with bad intentions can be pretty scary. I say that being part Islander myself. It disgusts me that so many of these big, tough Samoan, New Zealand and Tongan thugs get together to intimidate others and get in fights that usually result in someone getting seriously hurt.

I know gangs and thugs can be made up of all nationalities but Islanders are usually more aggressive than other people, they tend to be naturally bigger than most other people, and they tend to be completely careless and violent when they get angry which is even more dangerous considering how massive they generally are.

And before anybody cries racism I'll have you know that I grew up around them my whole life and have them in my family so nobody can tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. My sympathy for the victims of their violent ways far outweigh any PC feelings that I may have hurt. Certain cultural stereotypes do exist and I'm ashamed of that part of my culture, which does exist whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:12 AM
«Chuckles»
First of all, I'm not a "total psycho"

Nature: Brave
I'm not involved in a gang well atleast not anymore. I still have friends who could be called connections but I don't get myself into stuff I can't handle. I live in an area that well it looks nice but just don't go out at night especially around 11 it can get hectic. Im not sure if we have any gangs just posse's or groups of kids who like knives (me included) no one gets attacked but I haven't really eard the gossip yet. Don't blame rap for this stuff, the media is full of B.S. and rap is good it tells a story and though it generally has gangster-like artists they produce their own material and the story behind it isnt about love.

PairTumblrAnime ListFriend Code
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:04 AM
T The Manager
Purple Clouds

^ actually there's only been a few gangsta rappers that actually claimed a set. Most of them was just a gimmick but they still knew the hood because they grew up there.
I'm a Sound Engineer meaning I mix music and produce. If you're a musician that needs music mixed to professional quality hit me up; or if you have any questions about anything DAW related hit me up. I'm also a Hip-Hop artist and if you'd like to hear my music click below! (it's old tracks recorded with PS2 mic but still mixed with a DAW)

http://www.reverbnation.com/seraphtthemanager

Help T The Manager out by clicking "Become A Fan".
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Nauje
Hmm.
Community Supporter

Only gangs I've ever come across are groups of chavs hanging out together who try provoking every single person who walk by them. It's pathetic really.

Any serious activity however I've never witnessed in England. Gangs I don't think are much of a problem here.
Old January 13th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Controversial?
should probably stop now

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyke'd View Post
Only gangs I've ever come across are groups of chavs hanging out together who try provoking every single person who walk by them. It's pathetic really.

Any serious activity however I've never witnessed in England. Gangs I don't think are much of a problem here.
They don't even provoke you, they just go up and ask "oi bruv set me sum fags from tescos innit"

Also, gangs are still a problem in England, just not where I'm around because I live in a (relatively) posh area.
Old January 13th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Retribution
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Gangs, gangs, gangs, gangs.

I got chased by gangs a lot. Yeah they were trying to...-
Nevermind.
Old January 13th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Charloteee
I'm as charming as a rattle snake.

Nature: Naive
Nah, I'll talk to anybody. I don't think there are any gangs around here, if they are they're down the rough end of town and I'm stayin' away from there.
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Introvert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by «Chuckles» View Post
I'm not involved in a gang well atleast not anymore.
What gang were you involved with?
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:04 AM
AsuraMachina
Who Am I?

Nature: Timid
Gangs? What most people call Gangs these days are the 13-20 year old chavs that loiter the streets.
Plenty of that sort around my way. Start a fight for just breathing the same airspace that lot.
Not the least bit concerned for them.
If they had to go up against a real gang say the triad haha
They would be scarewed!
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:28 PM
acatfrommars
Unleash the Beast
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to acatfrommars
Surprisingly, I've never been involved with gangs. I've seen many gang members irl, but I've never been involved with any gang activity that I'm aware of. Gangs are scary imo, I'm not gonna be all macho about it.
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:37 PM
★Symbiosis★
★Shall Mote It Be★
Community Supporter

Quote:
Have you had any experiences dealing with gangs? Whether you just had a one off encounter with them or if they were a lingering presence in your community. I'm interested in hearing your stories.

Luckily I've never had to deal with them in my adult life but throughout high school there was always this threat of people calling their "connections" if you messed with them or if they just felt like harassing you. I know every school has bullies but I think it's more serious when you have to worry about a dozen or more people showing up to your school with baseball bats and sometimes even knives. So not only would you have to put up with the bullying at school, but if you fought back against certain people then you would be at risk of being targeted by youth gangs. It was the stress and the mind games of these threats that messed me up more than any of the actual bullying or beatings that I had to deal with.

Now I'm not claiming that I grew up in the hood or anything. These connections that people claimed to have weren't hardened criminals, they were usually a bunch of losers in their late teens and even early twenties who didn't have jobs or lives of their own. Pathetic wannabe gangsters who hung around people much younger than them because most people their own age were busy being productive members of society. It still bothers me though when I think about what they got away with doing, even if they didn't amount to much in life.

I blame rap music and **** parents.
I have. I live in Baltimore, Maryland. Gangs are a heavy presence in our neighborhoods.(Bloods, Crips, DMI and other smaller gangs but not so organized and deadly.) I never was in a gang but I am a juggalo and grew up believing in what is a family not a gang(Even though the government has now classified juggalo's as a gang due to teenagers actions who are apart of it.) We were just a large group of teenagers at the time in my neighborhood who believed in psychopathic records and there beliefs and that if you ****ed with one family member you had to step to us all. We believed in protecting our own, our family. We never went out and did anything though unless someone started something with us. Now the current age of juggalo's though is mainly a bunch of gang banging hoodlums.

I have had a couple run ins with DMI & Crips in my area but never got hurt or anything serious happen due to the fact that we never did anything really to provoke any of the gangs and we just did our own thing.
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Introvert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Symbiosis★ View Post
I have. I live in Baltimore, Maryland. Gangs are a heavy presence in our neighborhoods.(Bloods, Crips, DMI and other smaller gangs but not so organized and deadly.) I never was in a gang but I am a juggalo and grew up believing in what is a family not a gang(Even though the government has now classified juggalo's as a gang due to teenagers actions who are apart of it.) We were just a large group of teenagers at the time in my neighborhood who believed in psychopathic records and there beliefs and that if you ****ed with one family member you had to step to us all. We believed in protecting our own, our family. We never went out and did anything though unless someone started something with us. Now the current age of juggalo's though is mainly a bunch of gang banging hoodlums.

I have had a couple run ins with DMI & Crips in my area but never got hurt or anything serious happen due to the fact that we never did anything really to provoke any of the gangs and we just did our own thing.
Eh gang or not I don't view that as an admirable mentality. I heard ICP on the radio a few months ago and they seem like cool people. Their fans have a horrible reputation though. To us outsiders anyway.
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:55 PM
★Symbiosis★
★Shall Mote It Be★
Community Supporter

Quote:
Eh gang or not I don't view that as an admirable mentality. I heard ICP on the radio a few months ago and they seem like cool people. Their fans have a horrible reputation though. To us outsiders anyway.
I very much agree now a days.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:28 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Thankfully, I've never had any experience with gangs. The closest would have been when I was living in my old neighbourhood where it was considered "ghetto," I guess, and bad things happening was frequent. Apparently there were a couple notable gangs around there, but never had a run in with either of them during my time living there.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:07 PM
The_Consumer

It was St. Patricks day which is big here in Ireland obviously, and I was attacked by a drunk gang in town after the parades when I was 15 with my cousin. Broad daylight, 3pm, nobody helped us out, ridiculous. They didn't do much thankfully, they just hit me on the ear with a crowbar...I realise that sounds rather drastic but my ear was only sore for maybe a week.
EDIT: People are talking about musical influences, and I guess rap music but also bassline music at least over here, but that doesn't necessarily mean rap/bassline are bad influences for everyone
Old February 28th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I've never had experience with gangs either, and I don't think I'd ever join one because I wouldn't want to be a meanie around others, plus it'll be a rub in the face to me given I'm a heavy victim of bullying.

(and yay 12,000th post)

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:50 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
Luckily I have no experience when it comes to gangs

Sponsored Links