Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Treehouse
Reload this Page What religion do you follow?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Treehouse For the everyday ramblings of the masses.

Old January 13th, 2014 (12:03 AM). Edited January 13th, 2014 by curiousnathan.
give me the words
CS

Nature: Mild
As the title asks, what religion to do you follow?

Were you born into said religion, or did you join through choice?
Perhaps you've converted from one religion to another? If so, why?
How dedicated to your religion are you?
What beliefs do you particularly agree with? What are some you disagree with, if any?

Feel free to answer only one question, two or all of them. Also, please be mindful of others' beliefs; please refrain from flaming others.
Old January 13th, 2014 (12:34 AM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
I'm an atheist. Whilst it's impossible to know whether or not a sentient being is responsible for the creation of the universe (or all universes, if there are more) I've decided it has absolutely no effect whatsoever on my life as a human being on planet Earth, an infinitely small portion of all that exists. I guess i'll find out once i'm dead, but my view is that any religion is completely ficticious, invented by crackpots and adopted by ordinary folk to allay their fear of death and try to give some meaning to existence.

I don't like religions trying to control people by saying "Live my way or you're going to Hell". I don't need to be fearing some mumbo jumbo baloney to live how I want, which happens to be within the boundaries of morality.

There is a difference between religion and spirituality. I'm a spiritual person, sometimes I reflect on existence, the inevitably of death and how I can find peace within myself. That's totally cool, you can share your ideas, just don't force them onto others to manipulate their lives. The preaching of Mohammed, Buddha, Jesus, a God that is supposedly judging our decisions in life is total bs. It's laughable that people still believe any of it in this day and age, but I suppose if it brings you some false comfort than good for you. Just don't knock on my door trying to convert me to that nonsense.

So yeah, I dislike all religions. The negatives they bring far outweigh any positive effects. Sure, there might be Church groups running soup kitchens for homeless people but doing it because your religion says so is just like jumping for a carrot which will fuel your sense of superiority over non believers. If you want to be a good person then be a good person, not for Jesus but because you want to.
Old January 13th, 2014 (02:08 AM).
Eat it to believe it.
Silver Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Hmm...

I don't really believe in any religion until I see proof that any form of religion exists with my own eyes.
But they do make me follow the christianity one.
Sometimes, I'm forced to pray and I almost feel like enslaved.
I don't fear death, punishment or etc.
Although, there is a part of me that actually believes so I pray without thinking at all, I don't remember that I actually did most of the time.
And thus, my story ends.

Oh that's too much info. xD

in before, BUDDHA LOOKS WEIRD IN MY OPINION.
Old January 13th, 2014 (02:26 AM).
Furude
Crystal Tier

Nature: Mild
I don't subscribe to organised religion but I do believe in a higher power (God) - technically though I'm agnostic theist because I acknowledge I could be wrong I just don't believe I am. Basically though, I don't believe God is pulling any strings or making any huge impact on our lives. I think God sewed the seeds that lead to modern life and is watching how things play out, not that I think for a second a lesser being such as ourselves could ever actually comprehend a deity.

I was born into a family that is fairly lax as far as religion goes, lots of us are agnostic in some way, shape or form. Some are more religious, others less. I never had religion forced on me and have been allowed to develop my own beliefs - some of which match other family members, some of which that don't.

I used to consider myself "non-practising Anglican" but that's basically just code for "agnostic theist that wants a more socially-acceptable title".

Since I'm actually not religious I don't know if you would call me dedicated or not, but these days I'm pretty firm in my beliefs so it would be pretty hard to change them if it is possible at all.

I have no problem with a religion so long as it preaches equality, respect and fairness. But most organised religions have caused a lot more harm than good over the years - oppressing people based on their beliefs, race, gender or sexual orientation and starting violent conflicts left right and centre. I don't have anything against the religions themselves though, just the people within that perpetuate such ridiculous things.

"All right. I'll play a game with this endless June."

Roleplay Theatre | The Underground |
Pairs
Lokiepie, Chalifoux & Crunch Punch
|
Blog
The Pie Bakery

Old January 13th, 2014 (02:32 AM).
Pokémon Overlord!

Nature: Naughty
My family is Roman Catholic but personally I'm agnostic. I believe in the existence of God but I hate being bounded by religion.

CLICK MY SIGGY TO VIEW MY TRADE THREAD
AND HERE FOR MY TRADE REVIEW

Old January 13th, 2014 (04:33 AM).
Tsunderes forever

I don't really follow any religion
Old January 13th, 2014 (04:40 AM).

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
I'm agnostic. I am 100% against the Christian God's existence I flat out deny him in all aspects, he is the representation of religious plagiarism.
But I really hate the atheist point of view, like if you believe in a higher power you are wrong. You can't possibly believe anything different and still maintain any shred of dignity according to all those hardcore atheists.

There is also religion in every single culture that has ever existed in humanity there is no way that's a coincidence. For some reason we are hardwired to believe in invisible deities and there is very little evidence to suggest it helped us survive. So I doubt it's just a fluke.

I'm still bound by facts and as much as all of science is just a theory I've been shown over and over again that it makes sense. I just need proof that's all. Until then I don't feel it necessary to interfere with anyone's beliefs and I shouldn't have mine interfered with either.
Old January 13th, 2014 (05:19 AM).
Turn the tables

I'm a Roman Catholic. I have two uncles that are priests, and very religious grandparents. I had started to doubt my faith around 8th grade, and if I had known what it was, I probably would have considered myself an agnostic. However, something sort of clicked in high school, and when I transferred away from my horrible high school, I really began to believe in my religion. I'm unfortunately slightly hypocritical, as I hardly ever go to church, which I'll try to do once I can drive. I do, however, pray often and consider myself very religious. I follow the rules because I choose to, not simply because they are there, contrary to what others seem to think about religious people. It just makes sense for me.
I am, however, against homophobia, and I know that if God loves everyone, I should to, regardless of how they look or what they are interested in etc.
Old January 13th, 2014 (06:12 AM).
Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!

Nature: Relaxed
I'm Catholic, and I was born into a Catholic family.

I'm very dedicated, I don't see myself leaving this religion in the near future. I think I might have turned agnostic for a while, but I'm back to believing in God. However, I do acknowledge that I might be wrong. God mightn't exist. We don't know for sure whether He does or not, but I think he does.

The belief I really believe, which is what makes me Catholic, and the reason why I haven't left this church for another (Anglican or whatever), is the belief that Jesus Christ is present in the Eucharist.

I don't feel bound by any moral rules or anything, in fact, I'm glad I follow most of the ones I do! It just means I'm not doing anything that I'll regret later, which I am so pleased about, because I don't want to live my life full of regrets.
Old January 13th, 2014 (06:13 AM).
Aka Ansirent

Nature: Gentle
I follow the Hindu religion. I LOVE MY INDIA AND MY RELIGION.

My Club |Paired With IndianCharizard |
"I CAN'T LET YOU TOUCH MY FAMILY!!!!!"

Old January 13th, 2014 (08:57 AM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Serious
I'm very torn in this matter, actually. I used to go to church all the time with mom, got confirmed, all that, but I just don't feel it.

My mom has taught me wrong things in the name of religion, though, especially when it comes to homosexuals. She says it's "sinful" to be homosexual and I actually believed it until one of my friends went out (I've been friends with him for 9 months up to that point, still am today) and when he said that he felt emotionally drained... I don't get what's so sinful about that? I just don't get it.

On the other hand, I grew up going to church for over 10 years up until about last year so I still have some sentiments about being Christian. I used to get offended when someone said religion is BS, but now that I think about it, for the past 10 years I've never really felt like... being a Christian. I don't ****ing know.

Quote originally posted by Unidentified:
Hmm...

I don't really believe in any religion until I see proof that any form of religion exists with my own eyes.
But they do make me follow the christianity one.
Sometimes, I'm forced to pray and I almost feel like enslaved.
I don't fear death, punishment or etc.
Although, there is a part of me that actually believes so I pray without thinking at all, I don't remember that I actually did most of the time.
And thus, my story ends.

Oh that's too much info. xD

in before, BUDDHA LOOKS WEIRD IN MY OPINION.
Religion itself definitely exists... but whether or not you believe in the principle behind religion is a different story altogether.
Old January 13th, 2014 (09:03 AM).
hold back the river
CS

Nature: Brave
I was born and raised Catholic. My parents expect me and my sisters to observe every catholic holiday out there like Holy Week, Lent, and others. I'm not as religious as my parents, and I don't intend to be. I don't go to church as often. Going to Church doesn't help me "clean up after I sinned" or something like that.

I still remain Catholic no matter what, because I was taught that way and these habits stayed with me all my life.
Old January 13th, 2014 (09:07 AM).
FireRed Nuzlocke

As I was younger I was born into Christianity or Catholic l, idk which one
But as my life went to crap, I started to stop praying. Stopped going to mass. And eventually led to blaming God, to I loathe God. . . .
In my opinion he is a favoritist arsehole. Anyone around me has had a better life and mine just keeps getting crappier. . . .
He used to be my saviour until he pushed the limit. . . .
Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile, Omega Groudon, Alpha Kyogre, Rayquaza

I have walked down the path of Hoenn, now I believe it is time to see what has changed since my intervention of the peaceful region. I shall adventure to the end for love of all Pokémon!
Old January 13th, 2014 (09:36 AM).
You're Indestructible
Gold Tier

Nature: Lonely
I'm not a follower of any particular religion but I am a believer in Buddhism, and I have a number of spiritual beliefs. I guess that's called an eclectic? I always forget the word for it.
Old January 13th, 2014 (09:38 AM).
Hail to the king

Nature: Calm
Personally, I'm a Christian, I was born into a christian family
and then a backslid but that's a story for another time
I actually have a lot of faith considering that I'm only 14 I've never questioned my belief, and nobody could make me.

Quote originally posted by ArceusIsPower:
As I was younger I was born into Christianity or Catholic l, idk which one
But as my life went to crap, I started to stop praying. Stopped going to mass. And eventually led to blaming God, to I loathe God. . . .
In my opinion he is a favoritist ********. Anyone around me has had a better life and mine just keeps getting crappier. . . .
He used to be my saviour until he pushed the limit. . . .
So you still believe in God but you hate him? He doesn't make your life go downhill, Satan does, he only has as much power as God lets him. I think I should stop now... But God loves you just as much as he does everyone. I should stop before this starts to become a flamewar.

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old January 13th, 2014 (09:43 AM).
FireRed Nuzlocke

Quote originally posted by Orpheus:
So you still believe in God but you hate him? He doesn't make your life go downhill, Satan does, he only has as much power as God lets him. I think I should stop now... But God loves you just as much as he does everyone. I should stop before this starts to become a flamewar.
Don't worry friend. Yes. I believe he is there. But then why would Satan choose only me?

I have walked down the path of Hoenn, now I believe it is time to see what has changed since my intervention of the peaceful region. I shall adventure to the end for love of all Pokémon!
Old January 13th, 2014 (09:49 AM).
Hail to the king

Don't worry friend. Yes. I believe he is there. But then why would Satan choose only me?
He doesn't, trust me I've gone through Extremely difficult times. There are temptations Taylor made for each of us, Satan only wants you to feel like your alone and that everybody else has it great, but you aren't there are people going through the same troubles as you are.

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old January 13th, 2014 (09:53 AM).
FireRed Nuzlocke

The thing is, me being religious was a fire that died out. . . Nearly all my life I have felt unloved and mistreated as the fire dampened. . .

Old January 13th, 2014 (09:57 AM).
Hail to the king

The thing is, me being religious was a fire that died out. . . Nearly all my life I have felt unloved and mistreated as the fire dampened. . .
You aren't unloved God is there and always has been. Read the story of Job in the Bible. Satan attacks you at your lowest point, just like he did Job. Your story sounds a lot like his.

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old January 13th, 2014 (10:00 AM).
FireRed Nuzlocke

I don't think I will easily become one with the happiness. . . .

Old January 13th, 2014 (10:03 AM).
Hail to the king

I don't think I will easily become one with the happiness. . . .
It isn't easy, it never has been but in the end it's always worth it. Nothing worth doing is easy...

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old January 13th, 2014 (10:07 AM).
FireRed Nuzlocke

I just don't think I could stay committed to being happy and such. . . .

Old January 13th, 2014 (10:09 AM).
Hail to the king

That's sad, just talking about my beliefs makes me happy. It's hard, but at the end oh the day It's always worth It...

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old January 13th, 2014 (10:13 AM). Edited January 13th, 2014 by Cassino.
The Old Gang

Nature: Serious
I am an apatheist and, while my life philosophy coincides somewhat with that of Siddhartha Gautama, irreligious.
Little more to say than that, I'm afraid.

Something Christianity doesn't do so well, in my opinion — its adherents seem to fight against doubt and sorrow on-end. Instead, ask: are these things bad? Should they be? Why so? Your life will simply take whatever course it will according to your own temperament. If one treats life with humility and lack haught desire, one will find it easier to appreciate what good does come. Instead of petitioning Yahweh to fix things effectively on your behalf, you can adapt yourself; change is, as living beings, our occupation by nature.
Old January 13th, 2014 (10:18 AM).
Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer

Nature: Modest
This question for me is a little hard to directly answer. In terms of overall beliefs, I fit mostly under an agnostic view, I believe what I can prove or what can be proven to me. I was born into a methodist christian family though, so those views are still ingrained in me to a point. I think the whole ordeal for me is I love maths and sciences, specifically prehistoric sciences, and where I grew up, there were some who felt that what I enjoyed researching and stuff was against their beliefs, and got aggressive about it. As I got older, reading more on other religions, I realized that, in a sense, everybody worships the same thing, the difference is how they worded it. This confused me, as some play themselves out to be bitter enemies to each other. Why would two religious groups who essentially believe the same thing hate each other? That's when I decided to step out of the whole religious scene.

I've taken up the mentality that, until I'm proven wrong otherwise, I don't necessarily believe there is a higher deity. I believe more in willpower and reasoning than I do in a religion, and for the most part, I keep quiet about it unless asked or something like this thread pops up and I feel comfortable enough to express my views. Otherwise, I know people who, just based on how I act, would believe me a christian, because that's how I was raised. I'm also someone of "Don't try to force your beliefs on me, and I won't get defensive about mine".
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links