Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Anime & Manga
Reload this Page Anime/Manga that have made you cry

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

Old January 15th, 2014 (04:49 PM).
I'm a self aware man, I'm also borderline narcissistic

Nature: Brave
/topic

So, has an anime ever made you cry?

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old January 15th, 2014 (05:45 PM).
Herald of Destruction

Nature: Relaxed
Yes, I have cried because of anime. The ones that caused it were Puella Magi Madoka Magica (multiple times, in fact) and Kyoukai no Kanata.
Old January 15th, 2014 (05:59 PM).
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
SKET Dance is the only anime that has the distinction of making me cry.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old January 15th, 2014 (06:21 PM).
what a lovely day
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Ozymandias
AnoHana and Clannad AS have gotten me to tear up XD never really gone over the edge but yeah... those were some sad anime and some really great ones too!
There are some Anime movies too! Grave of the Fireflies is one. 5cm per second just made me depressed but i didn't really cry or tear up... yeah i'm pretty sure there are more but those are the only ones i can think of on the top of my head XD
Old January 15th, 2014 (07:32 PM).
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
The only time I've ever cried was while watching Clannad: After Story. I was really confused because I didn't even like the first season that much, haha, so it's kinda amazing how I could go from disliking it to crying about it.

I felt sad while watching stuff like Anohana and Angel Beats, but never sad enough to cry. I even got sad while watching the end of K-On's 2nd season, haha. I really liked the series and I could relate a lot to Azusa, that's probably why haha. <3
Old January 15th, 2014 (08:21 PM). Edited January 15th, 2014 by Introvert.
failed avenger

Nature: Lonely
Dragonball Z was far from just a mindless shonen. It had many emotional moments in it and I'm not afraid to admit I cried quite a few times while watching it.

I'll leave these in spoilers in case anyone hasn't watched the masterpiece that is Dragonball.

Spoiler:
When Vegeta died as he was pouring his heart out to Goku. Telling him about how Frieza was a tyrant and had ruled over all Saiyans including himself since he was just a young boy, he described how Frieza made them do terrible things only to end up destroying his entire race and planet even after they served him loyally for so long. It was such a shock to see Vegeta in tears like this, especially given his ruthless and hardened demeanor up until that point.

In the History Of Trunks special when Gohan confronts the Androids alone after knocking Trunks out to spare him from the battle. Trunks regains consciousness and flies towards where the battle took place, there he discovers his only mentor and friend Gohan's lifeless body lying there on the ground. As the rain poured over the city Trunks let out a powerful cry and finally became a Super Saiyan. With all of the Z Fighters now gone, Trunks shined bright as the future's only hope!

And of course who could forget when Vegeta sacrificed himself to stop Majin Buu. This video just speaks for itself, I was in awe when I watched this for the first time and it still gives me chills to this day. He went out like a true warrior and in my opinion DBZ should have just ended after this very moment.

Now some of you might think that GT was a horrible disgrace to the original series and for the most part I'd agree with you. But GT's finale in my opinion was very well made. The closing moments of the finale where they showed a montage of the pivotal moments throughout Goku's story. The music complemented this scene very well and personally it marked the end of my childhood in a sense as it aired shortly before I started high school and I had grown up with Dragonball since I was a little kid.

Oh the nostalgia! Someone give me a tissue
Old January 15th, 2014 (10:03 PM).
I'm a self aware man, I'm also borderline narcissistic

Nature: Brave
End of Dragon Ball GT made me cry so hard. I just wanted goku to stay with me a little longer. I was only seven but just seeing him dissappear with shenron was too much for my little heart and I just locked myself in my room for a few days crying into a pillow because of Goku. I also cried when I saw Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods because Goku, you're back! I still can never watch the last episode of GT, I rewatched the series a few years ago but couldn't bring myself to watch it.
I also cried at Grave of the Fireflies which i get mixed up with Barefoot Gen because I saw them both on the same night but I can relate to Grave of the Fireflies very well and it just destroyed me. I had seen it before but I am more mature now and I understood it, I also read the book and it just hit me and just destroyed my heart. I can't get angry at my sisters anymore because of that film.
I cried in Gundam when Amuro Ray is KIA or MIA I was 6 at the time as well and I asked my dad what it ment and he told me. I was heart broken from that but I didn't lock myself in my room I just cried for an hour and I was given the next series of Gundam to watch which kind of made me happy. Funny I look similar to Amuro Ray, like face and hair.
Oh and Studio Ghibs is evil. They make everyone cry

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old January 15th, 2014 (10:49 PM).
drip drip drop
Crystal Tier

I cried during the Itachi flashback in Naruto. Could relate to sibling love. I cried multiple times during One Piece. I don't need to explain, though. Merry. Nuff said.

Cried during Clannad and After Story. Ironically, I cried more during fuko arc than during anything else lol. Then Anohana did it too, recently. 5cms per second made me depressed. But I didn't cry.
Old January 16th, 2014 (12:04 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Let's add to the Clannad spam =)
If you ever ask this question, Clannad After Story is a definite answer =)

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old January 16th, 2014 (12:05 AM).
drip drip drop
Crystal Tier

Am I the only one who cried more profusely during Clannad than in AS?
Old January 16th, 2014 (01:28 AM).
Banned

Nature: Gentle
Full Moon wo Saga****e
Onii-sama e...
AS
Gintama

Plenty of others have gotten close.
Old January 16th, 2014 (03:29 PM).
A Scene In Between
Moderator, BSCS

Yup; Howl's Moving Castle. Don't really remember what part of it made me cry though, as it's been an extremely long time since I've last seen it. I may watch it again someday when I have time.
Old January 17th, 2014 (02:22 AM).

The Ending of Ramune made me bawl.

So did the ending of Heartful Days/Mahoraba.
Old January 18th, 2014 (03:06 PM).

Nature: Timid
Yes!
The first was BuBu Cha Cha. I was only 7-8 years old when I watched it. Now I don't remember anything about this anime, only that the final was so sad for a kid of that age
Then when I was older, I cried with Toky Magnitude 8.0 and Elfen Lied (especially for the dog scene).
Old January 18th, 2014 (03:09 PM).

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Alfabusa
Okay, first of all, when I was like 6 years old or something and watched Pokémon the first movie, and I saw the scene where Ash turned to stone. That scene devastated me.
Welp, later, I remember School Days traumatized me as well when I was in that phase where I watched anime a lot.
Oh, and Clannad. That show was EVIL!

Pretty sure I shed a manly tear or two during JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as well. As it should be.

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/alfabusa
*WARNING: alotta' swearing and stuff, and mainly for Warhammer 40k-fans.*

Shiny Bragging:
Breeding - Metagross, Cacturne, Stoutland, Gible
Fishing - Politoed, Octillery
Pokéradar - Zoroark
Friend Safari - Froslass, Hoothoot, Skarmory, Sneasel, Pancham, Noibat, Pawniard
Wonder Trade - Smeargle, Garchomp
Old January 18th, 2014 (03:26 PM).
Ever Day Another New Adventure

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
Nabari no Ou tug the heart strings
Old January 18th, 2014 (03:31 PM).
KYON-KUN, DENWA
Moderator, CS

Quote originally posted by Sakazuki:
Am I the only one who cried more profusely during Clannad than in AS?
To be fair, most of my tears, if any, were during the end of After Story. The Fuko arc of the first season was a part of the buildup, though, because I was basically an emotionless rock before I dove into Clannad.

Other than Clannad's two seasons, not really much has, at least that I can recall. Kanon came close, but wasn't quite there, as have a few others. That said, I've not watched Grave of the Fireflies yet, which has made a friend or two of mine cry, the sort that don't normally cry at anything.

KYON-KUN, DENWA
Old January 19th, 2014 (05:18 AM).
*insert fancy usertitle here*

Nature: Quiet
Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, as far as I can remember.

I don't think I found Clannad, or AS, to be tear-jerking for me, but I can understand why people get emotional because even then it left me speechless.
Old January 19th, 2014 (05:32 AM).
Average Trainer/Breeder

Seitokai no Ichizon. For a comedy anime the last episode was something I didn't expect from the protagonist. And definitely 5 Centimeters Per Second cried like a baby.

3DS FC: 1907 - 9428 - 6289
(IGN: Yvonne)
Fire Friend Safari: Magmar, Pyroar and Braixen

Old January 22nd, 2014 (01:45 PM).

Nature: Careful
I feel like I cried at a lot. Uh let's see, Air TV really got me, Grave of the fireflies, The children who chase lost voices down below, Blood plus, Kanon, this one episode of Shiki that was on demand, had no idea what it was so I figured I'd check it out, it was just..of course it wasn't the first episode
Spoiler:
but seeing a girl getting crushed and begging for her life was upsetting

5 centimeters per second, higerashi , no.6 , Anohana: The flower we saw that day, True tears, Elfen lied.
Old January 23rd, 2014 (05:13 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Hagi:
this one episode of Shiki that was on demand, had no idea what it was so I figured I'd check it out, it was just..of course it wasn't the first episode
Spoiler:
but seeing a girl getting crushed and begging for her life was upsetting
Spoiler:
After seeing her for the whole anime? She was pretty annoying... I did not mind that she got what she deserved.

Quote originally posted by Hagi:
Anohana: The flower we saw that day,
Oh yea, we forgot about honorable mention of this kind of poll =/

Old January 23rd, 2014 (05:21 AM).
World Class Baka

Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrax
Yep, on numerous occasions.
The first two to come to mind were AnoHana and Angel Beats!. In addition to their respective endings, there were numerous moments in both which produced tears.
Another would be Code Geass, especially during
Spoiler:
Euphie, Rolo and Lelouch's deaths.
Old January 23rd, 2014 (05:28 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Pyrax:
Spoiler:
Lelouch's deaths.
Spoiler:
HE IS NOT DEAD! HE IS NOT DEAD! :D
He is Lelouch, he cannot be killed even after getting killed xD
I still think he just faked his death only to get out =D

Old January 24th, 2014 (03:08 AM).

Nature: Gentle
Once, at the end of Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection. The toll of a very hard life, the forgiving of previous sins and the final rest in the arms of a loved one - all combined with stunning animation and sorrowful music. Couldn't hold the tears back !
Old January 26th, 2014 (07:21 AM).
Muzima
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Sopheria
Quote originally posted by «Chuckles»:
End of Dragon Ball GT made me cry so hard. I just wanted goku to stay with me a little longer. I was only seven but just seeing him dissappear with shenron was too much for my little heart and I just locked myself in my room for a few days crying into a pillow because of Goku. I also cried when I saw Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods because Goku, you're back! I still can never watch the last episode of GT, I rewatched the series a few years ago but couldn't bring myself to watch it.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. That was so sad that Goku was just...gone. I didn't quite cry, but I did get a little teary eyed, and I can't bring myself to watch that episode either

The ending of Moonphase has to be the most beautifully emotional moment I've ever seen in anime. Definitely brought a tear to my eye

I noticed a lot of people mentioned Angel Beats! The end of that anime was...torture. It's like they went out of their way to make it as sad and depressing as possible. I practically cried each time someone disappeared. Beautiful anime, but depressing as heck.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)