Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Anime & Manga

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 19th, 2014 (01:51 AM). Edited July 28th, 2014 by Antemortem.
Antemortem
dude we're fantastic

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Welcome to the Anime & Manga daily chit-chat! Here you can discuss all things pertaining to anime and manga (obviously). Pretty much anything goes here. If you want to talk about some obscure anime you discovered that no one has ever heard of before, or if you just wanna reminisce over classic shonen like Dragonball and One Piece, this is the place for you!

No posting inappropriate things like hentai and yaoi please. I'm very lenient with things but those won't fly and will land you in the arms of deus so chill
Old January 19th, 2014 (03:39 AM).
«Chuckles»
I'm a self aware man, I'm also borderline narcissistic

Nature: Brave
Anyone got some good recomendations for manga that is not afraid to show gore, a little like berserk filled with action but isn't shonen.

"I make stupid shirts and people like it so, I am grateful." ~Tyler, The Creator
Old January 19th, 2014 (06:13 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I though any other thread worked pretty much like DCC xD

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old January 19th, 2014 (04:25 PM).
Introvert
Banned

You could say that about most DCC's in other sections. A lot of the stuff that gets talked about could be made into threads but let's just see how this works. It could flop miserably or become a 5 start thrad guise!

Anyone into Bleach?
Old January 19th, 2014 (04:38 PM).
Peitharchia
& having to receive it

Watched a few episodes of it before, but to be honest though, I didn't really like it. I may try it again some other day and see how it goes. Bleach has four seasons, right? Or is it five?
Old January 19th, 2014 (04:49 PM).
Introvert
Banned

No clue. All I know is it's a lot more enjoyable if you skip the filler. I'll admit it does start off a bit slow though.
Old January 20th, 2014 (12:14 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Nymphadora:
Watched a few episodes of it before, but to be honest though, I didn't really like it. I may try it again some other day and see how it goes. Bleach has four seasons, right? Or is it five?
It has over 300 episodes... I don't think USA can divide it only into 5 seasons =D
There's also like... 15 openings or so? =D

Old January 20th, 2014 (08:35 AM).
Doctor
& time lord

Nature: Naive
I watched one and a half season of Bleach waaaaay back. I think I stopped just because I got preoccupied with other stuff and didn't get back into it. That often happens with me and manga/anime :(
Old January 20th, 2014 (08:46 AM).
Weeaboo Name
KNIFE EDGE DEATH MATCH
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Bleach was great for the first three series. Then Ichigo went through his boring EDGY phase and those arcs weren't very good. He's back to ''5 ambulances'' Ichigo now it seems so the last arc should continue to be good. Not sure if that'll ever be animated though.

#bigannoyingsigs4lyf | mal |
Old January 20th, 2014 (08:48 AM).
Doctor
& time lord

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by -Lapras-:
Bleach was great for the first three series. Then Ichigo went through his boring EDGY phase and those arcs weren't very good. He's back to ''5 ambulances'' Ichigo now it seems so the last arc should continue to be good. Not sure if that'll ever be animated though.
So you think reading the anime should be preferred over watching the anime?
Old January 20th, 2014 (08:54 AM).
Weeaboo Name
KNIFE EDGE DEATH MATCH
Community Supporter

I've done both. I do find the fights in the manga are sometimes a little hard to follow though so that is a bit of a plus for the anime.

I'd at least watch the first 3 seasons of the anime though. Lots of great OST and it is more atmospheric.

Old January 20th, 2014 (03:20 PM).
Peitharchia
& having to receive it

I've never read the manga, unfortunately. I don't read any manga to be honest; they're just not my thing.
Old January 21st, 2014 (07:22 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers:
So you think reading the anime should be preferred over watching the anime?
Reading anime? =D

Quote originally posted by -Lapras-:
Not sure if that'll ever be animated though.
Imo it will. Just like Fairy Tail.

Old January 21st, 2014 (08:56 AM).
Magic
キュウコン

The problem with Bleach is there are too many odd divergences from the main story (alternative universe filler arcs, ew) and the only way people get stronger is by somehow magically powering themselves up to a previous unheard-of level. Similar, in some regards to Naruto - although I think the later performs it in a slightly more realistic way. ~reasons~ and shizz.

The last animated arc of Bleach was awful. I wouldn't even say it's worth watching, too much of it was bad/slow/weird.

What do people think of vampire anime? I've been watching Strike the Blood recently, which is pretty poor, but I've loved things like Shiki, Vampire Knight and Hellsing.
Old January 21st, 2014 (09:21 AM).
derozio
April 2015 can't come soon enough
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
The only Bleach arcs I like are the SS and the current arc (on hold as I'll marathon it). Others were either just not worth it or average at best. Naruto was great in part one and same till I guess the Pain invasion arc. Then it went downhill and the war arc was just abysmal. I almost felt like dropping the series multiple times (obito is bad. Seriously). But now that Maddy's back, things are picking up big time.

As for the second post - lots of gore but not a shounen? Watch Elfen Lied if its your thing, I guess. Some people call it a masterpiece. Personally not a fan at all.

I haven't seen vampire anime. Apart from Vampire Hunter D's original 1980s something movie and ~maybe~ an episode or two of Hellsing OVA. So can't comment on them. The movie was definitely...sort of weird, lol.
Old January 21st, 2014 (10:04 AM).
Introvert
Banned

The filler is a non-issue for me because as I said I'm skipping all of it. I don't think any of the power ups have been that over the top so far, keep in mind I'm only up to the Arrancar arc so it may get worse like you said. Though to be fair unrealistic power ups seem to be a trope that pretty much all shonen abuse. Naruto has definitely done this a lot as well. But Naruto has a whole list of problems of its own, bad writing being the biggest one.
Old January 21st, 2014 (10:28 AM).
derozio
Community Supporter

One Piece does it too, I guess. Gear Second/Diable Jamble/Asura are the worst offenders as much as I love One Piece lol
Old January 21st, 2014 (10:35 AM).
Weeaboo Name
KNIFE EDGE DEATH MATCH
Community Supporter

Ichigo's seemingly random powerups have been explained to a satisfying enough level for me in the most recent arc.

Not going to take part in a flame war but you think Naruto has bad writing but Bleach is fine? Funny, my only real problems with Naruto are things that a lot of shounen series get dragged down by, plot lines getting dragged out and magical revivals. In terms of story structure, world, characters and a few other things Naruto would score above Bleach for me. Kubo wins on TWISTS and character design though.

Old January 21st, 2014 (10:40 AM).
derozio
Community Supporter

I actually agree with lappy. Naruto's writing in general, character development and world building would be above Bleach's in my opinion as well.
Old January 21st, 2014 (10:57 AM).
Weeaboo Name
KNIFE EDGE DEATH MATCH
Community Supporter

Also I have no idea why anyone would skip the Bleach filler, well, maybe the Bounts but the rest were cool. The one where the Zanpakuto spirits rebelled was better than a majority of the canon. My second favourite episode in the entire series was an episodic filler, feels good.

Old January 21st, 2014 (11:07 AM).
derozio
Community Supporter

The movies are technically fillers too, right? Memories of nobody is just below SS and current arc for me. I like it more than all the other arcs in the series lol.
Old January 21st, 2014 (11:13 AM).
Weeaboo Name
KNIFE EDGE DEATH MATCH
Community Supporter

I have such an unnatural attachment to Memories of Nobody. Rest of the Bleach films ranged from average to horrid but the first one man, I've seen it so many times.

Old January 21st, 2014 (11:19 AM).
Introvert
Banned

Naruto's redeeming qualities for me have always been in the supporting characters and the villains. Kishi is good at quantity but not so much quality. The main characters of Naruto are ****ing terrible lol. The story gets so convoluted at times I get the sense that Kishi doesn't plan more than 3 weeks ahead when writing his chapters. After the Pain arc Kishi completely lost his ****. It's actually quite sad to see what Naruto has become. But even in it's prime Naruto never got my respect as a proper shonen.

Naruto is possibly the worst fictional character ever. He's meant to be the hero but he chases after people who abuse him and kill people lol. He acts like if he can convince mass murderers to stop doing evil things they should automatically be forgiven for what they've done. Like he's Jesus and can absolve them of their sins so long as they listen to his boring, corny ass, John Cena speeches. Offering peace to the like of Pein who wiped out villages and killed babies, and to Sasuke back when he was going through that homicidal psychopath phase that no one seems to hold him accountable for. Remember when Naruto let that woman from the cloud village literally beat him senseless and near the point of death just so he could keep the peace in order to save Sasuke? The person who had tried to kill him, his friends and had intentions of destroying the Hidden Leaf? Yeah that guy. All over a child hood friend who didn't reciprocate ANY of Naruto's feelings. Remember when Naruto was told that the Kage were going to kill Sasuke after he killed dozens of Samurai and infiltrated the summit in order to assassinate them, and then Naruto passed out? Haha what a loser! These are just a few examples of why Naruto is an offensively bad written character with messed up priorities.

Sasuke is no prize either. What an angsty little brat he is. Remember when he dismissed Naruto's hardships, saying that he grew up alone without a family as if he had it easy, where as Sasuke lost his family after forming an emotional connection to them so Naruto couldn't relate to his pain? WHO WOULD SAY SOMETHING THAT MESSED UP?! Okay maybe cut Sasuke a little slack because he was just a kid at the time, but then why did he mirror the exact same sentiments to Naruto years later as a 15/16 year old teenager during their second fight? Because Kishi himself is a man-child who doesn't know how to develop his characters properly, that's why! There I said it. Deal with it Naruto fans. Kishi stinks as a writer.

It's not just the main characters who suck either. Sakura, Itachi, Obito and Madara have all stunk up the manga too, but I think I've ranted enough about Naruto for now. You asked for my opinion, you got it. I hope you dont take any of this to heart. My anger is directed towards this crappy shonen, not you personally.
Old January 21st, 2014 (12:00 PM).
derozio
Community Supporter

Not gonna defend against a lot of the stuff you said because I partially agree with them. But Bleach stinks even worse, then. Ichigo is as generic a shonen hero as it gets. I never cared for any character in Bleach. Most side characters are shown for some time and thrown off instead of giving them development. I think most of your problems with naruto stem from part 2. And I myself am not a huge fan of it. But part one, for the most part, was good. Bleach had, what, 5-6 arcs? SS, Arrancar Arc, Karakura town arc, Fullbring and now the Thoudand Year Blood arc, right? 3/5 are bad-average at best. Majority of the series, pretty much. Naruto's saving grace is the first part, at least. Of course, disregarding the filler. And not going to lie, I actually still liked Naruto till Pain Arc. I started disliking it after that. Like I said earlier, war arc was a mess. With a few good moments in between. Either way, the war arc isn't what I'd call 'series' conclusion material. I had high hopes for it. I hope at least Bleach doesn't disappoint.

All my opinion, of course. ^_^
Old January 21st, 2014 (12:12 PM).
Introvert
Banned

Yeah most of my problems with Naruto are post time-skip. I enjoyed part 1 just like you haha.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links