Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Anime & Manga

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

View Poll Results: Do watch DUB/SUB animes of your favorite
Dub 6 22.22%
Sub 21 77.78%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 7th, 2014 (08:58 AM).
Antemortem
nothing but a teenage phase

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Quote originally posted by Luck:
I'd say subs, not only because I'm a closet weeaboo but also because some English anime tend to rearrange or outright cut things out. Even if content is changed for the better, I'd rather see the creator's original vision first and foremost.
I agree with this, I think. There are certain anime that I enjoy both of, but it's always old anime that I rehash every now and then because I've still not coped with it being over, like InuYasha, but that's really a whole other deal. As for modern anime, if I've read the manga, I much prefer the dub because then I can tell what's been changed, what was really meant to be said, and so on. If I've never read the manga, I'll settle for watching all of the sub and then trying out the dub when the time comes simply for hearing how the voice acting was carried out. Normally I'm satisfied, but in certain cases (Angel Beats! :|) it doesn't work.
Old February 7th, 2014 (09:32 PM).
Brendan14

Nature: Serious
Sub all the way. I like the voice actors for subs better, since the dub actors more or less try to fit the power level, and don't try and get the personality right.

Byakuya from Bleach, for example. He's a right posh guy and one of the strongest Captains. The subbed voice actor makes him sound posh, adding a certain tone and way of speaking to his voice (it's posh in japanese culture). The dubbed voice actor just sounds generic and like he couldn't care as long as he's paid.
Old February 15th, 2014 (12:41 PM).
AdorbzFangirl
#FANGIRLPROBLEMS
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to AdorbzFangirl
Because of my poor reading comprehension and special needs, I've always watched my anime dubbed. It helps me process the details of what I'm watching faster. I have watched some things subbed, like 1 litre of tears... but it's still very hard for me to watch anything subbed.

pair | blog | mibba | twitter
Old February 16th, 2014 (10:50 AM).
Digidark822

Nature: Quiet
I prefer subs, after watching part of Naruto in dub, I couldn't take that voice anymore. So I switched. Only good dub I've ever seen is DBZ.
Old February 17th, 2014 (07:17 PM).
Raine
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote originally posted by Satoshi Ookami:
Exactly this Unfortunately many people feel (because of this fact) that their voices are too high pitched and annoying. I always laugh when they put Kugimiya Rie as an example just because they heard her tsundere roles (in which she's absolutely perfect =D)... these people should seriously hear her voicing Rise from Persona 4.
I'm one of the people who have an issue with high-pitched voices actually XD I don't mind it, to be honest since my solution is to keep away from series that have too much focus on female characters or have too many of them x: Thus my preference for shounen-type anime and a more male-dominated cast. But the female Japanese voice actresses that can do male ones are good.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old February 18th, 2014 (04:40 PM).
Pidgey
Say my name, silverflame, take control
Community Supporter

Unless an anime hasn't been dubbed yet, or if the dub is unbearably bad, I'll always go for the dub as a starting point. I often have a habit of doing other things while watching anime, in which cases understanding what's actually being said is a huge convenience. And it's not because most English dubs are that bad either. As someone who's jumped around a bit when it comes to dubs and subs, I always prefer the first one I've watched, since those are the voices I've grown accustomed to and associate the characters with. If I suddenly jump from dub to sub or vice versa, I'll often dislike it at first. I reckon a good example of that is Naruto.

I watched the entire original series in the English dub, but when I got to Shippuuden, only a few episodes had been dubbed. So if I wanted to watch Shippuuden, I'd have to live with the new voices. And it did take a while to get accustomed to, but I eventually started liking them. As more and more episodes got dubbed, I decided I wanted to go back and watch a few of them in English, and I actually turned out dislike the dub after that, which I'd originally preferred. Of course this isn't always the case, and there are a bunch of animes who are just downright bad, but to me, it's all about preference.

So all in all, I honestly don't really have a preference. I reckon if I were to choose something, it'd be English, simply due to how convenient it is to understand the language. But I'm completely fine with either :p
Old February 21st, 2014 (08:54 AM).
Scandalice
i quit

I almost always prefer the subs, because I don't really like how the dub voices sound and because the subs seem to fit better in my opinion. I also dislike most dubs because the dub pronunciations of Japanese names are often weird sounding, maybe wrong.
Old March 16th, 2014 (12:31 AM).
Netto Azure
<<Diving Mastah>>

Nature: Modest
Subs. Its a result of my childhood being immersed in Subs way back in 1999.

Scuba Diver Kylan wants to battle!
Kingler (Lv. 49) - Hyper Cutter - (Crabhammer, X-Scissor)
Kingdra (Lv. 49) - Swift Swim - (Draco Meteor, Hydro Pump)
November 21, 2014 / Staff Collab 2014

Old March 16th, 2014 (06:27 AM).
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

since I watched K-on with subs I prefer sub to dubs now.
Old March 16th, 2014 (06:36 AM).
Air Lock
Will I come back?
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I prefer subs to dubs. At first, I was an all subs guy. (Reason: Digimon Adventure/Digimon Adventure Zero-Two and the way they were dubbed.) But then I was watching Hoshi no Kirby, which was never fully subbed, forcing me to watch its dub counterpart Kirby: Right Back At Ya!. So really it depends on the dub quality, but if I have a choice, I'll go to subs first.

Of course this doesn't mean that I don't take a look at the dub. I like seeing the differences between the two.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old March 16th, 2014 (06:49 AM).
Germaniac
Victoria Concordia Crescit

Nature: Relaxed
Sub, most of the times original voices are better, also influenced by the fact that my english listening is pretty bad
Old March 16th, 2014 (07:37 AM).
Alternative
For my next trick...
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I'm going to admit, dubs are seriously my guilty pleasure. There is nothing more I enjoy than listening to a good dub (or cringing to a bad one haha). I mean there are some where I do prefer subs but if I ever get the chance to listen to a dub I'm going to take it. Buying DVDs, or just watching funimation previews on Youtube, whatever it is I really do enjoy some dubs of things. If there's one thing that stands out for me personally, Fairy Tail is something I enjoy for the dub. I love Todd Haberkorn's rendition of Natsu Dragneel it's simply wonderful.

Personally I think it's easier to point out a male voice actor over a female, but it depends on if the voice is incredibly prominent or not. Erin Fitzgerald is one voice I can pick out when I'm watching (or playing) something, because it's so distinguishable from other voice actors. But at the same time she's one of those people who have such a distinguishable voice that it's hard to see her voicing other roles, which I think is a little bit of a problem in the field personally. Vic Mignogna is another one from the male side, where one of his roles is quite prominent -- even fantastic in one series, but you hear that voice in something else and it doesn't sound too good, like it fits the character all too well. I know he's quite popular in funimation productions, you hear him in Fullmetal Alchemist, Ouran Highschool Host Club, Soul Eater and so forth, where it sounds the same a lot of the time. I suppose with video games it's a little harder to tell the difference but anime it's almost always easy to tell the voice. Personally my favourites in the field of voice acting are Kaiji Tang, Liam O'brien, Amanda C. Miller, and Yuri Lowenthal on the english side of things. You could also possibly say that Sean Chiplock is another one I like, but it seems like you are a bad person if you like him because of his personal life or something. :/ On the japanese side my favourites will always be Tomokazu Sugita, Hidenobu Kiuchi and Yoshimasa Hosoya (I found out he voices a lot of my favourites in series' haha). I don't think I have favourites in the female side of things, I can't find them appealing or distinguishable at all.

What a tangent I went on ahahaha.
But my point is that I do see the appeal in dubs, but I'm more of a sub man. If I enjoy a dub I can watch it or if I bought a DVD I'll watch the dub. Right now sorta on and off I'm watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Kids on the Slope in their english glory, both do have good and bad parts to them.
Old March 20th, 2014 (12:22 AM).
Yeyinde
"The Brave One"

Nature: Docile
So suddenly when your favorite anime shows new episode or series. Do you go straight and watch the sub or just wait for a day or two for favorites to be dubbed in English?

For me; I rather stick to dub because most SUB isn't accurately translated than dub.
Old March 20th, 2014 (01:34 AM).
FrostbitePC
Frostbite

Nature: Naive
I prefer sub. Yeah dub kinda ruin the anime. But, i like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood dubbed
Old March 20th, 2014 (06:13 AM).
Yeyinde
"The Brave One"

Nature: Docile
I was talking how in general dubbed anime going to be aired or how bad dub translates are
Old March 21st, 2014 (12:51 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Jrrkein:
I was talking how in general dubbed anime going to be aired or how bad dub translates are
Oh...kay... you say that dubs are bad "translates" (that is translated?) and you prefer them because they are more accurate than subs?
So in your opinion bad translations are more accurate than subs?

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 21st, 2014 (04:54 AM).
Raine
Community Supporter

Subbed and dubbed can essentially be thought of as similar, except the latter are probably seen more as "official" as they are actually created by companies. Subbed on the other hand are simply volunteers giving their time and expertise in the Japanese language to give those who are not adept in the language to watch. I wouldn't say either of them are more accurate than the other because it depends on who's the translator and their Japanese level \: That's just my opinion though, but I definitely prefer subbed because Japanese voices contain more emotion than English ones.

Old March 22nd, 2014 (01:21 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Vanille Sky:
Subbed and dubbed can essentially be thought of as similar, except the latter are probably seen more as "official" as they are actually created by companies. Subbed on the other hand are simply volunteers giving their time and expertise in the Japanese language to give those who are not adept in the language to watch. I wouldn't say either of them are more accurate than the other because it depends on who's the translator and their Japanese level \: That's just my opinion though, but I definitely prefer subbed because Japanese voices contain more emotion than English ones.
Well... Crunchyroll, Funanimation, etc... subs are as official as dubs now =) (not that quality of their subs is good, though xD)

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 22nd, 2014 (08:10 AM).
Raine
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Satoshi Ookami:
Well... Crunchyroll, Funanimation, etc... subs are as official as dubs now =) (not that quality of their subs is good, though xD)
Well there's that, but personally, when I think of subbed I think of those groups who are generally made of enthusiasts coming together and volunteering their time in working on series :P

Old March 22nd, 2014 (04:24 PM).
Homura Akemi
time is f o r e v e r~

I prefer subs a lot more than dubs...dubs usually have horrid voice acting, and the translations usually get messed up.

That, and I like Japanese voices.

"2014 sometimes leads to even better April Fools' jokes."
VM | PM | Gensokyo | Previously | Theme | Fan Club | | | | | |
Old March 28th, 2014 (09:12 AM).
Eevee
╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Eevee
I definitely watch it subbed first. I prefer watching anime subbed for many reasons.

I like the "Japanese feel" the shows give off and I feel like that gets burnt to the ground when it's dubbed to English.

The second reason is that usually the English dubbed voices are off. Either they sound way too old/young for the character they're supposed to be playing or they overact/underact so bad it's awkward to listen to. I haven't watched one anime (besides Pupa) where the Japanese voice actors/actresses are bad at their roles. They're always spot on.

But that being said, not all dubs are bad. Most are meh, some are disgusting and a few are actually good.

The only anime so far that I prefer dubbed is Panty and Stocking and the only reason is because I love how rude it is in the dubbed version compared to the Japanese version.

Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya are both fantastic dubs but their Japanese counterparts are fantastic too. xD

Any English dub that censors things, renames characters or changes things are automatically a bad dub in my eyes. If you need to change things in order to dub it, dub something else. Please don't ruin the original story.

Old March 28th, 2014 (09:21 AM).
Alfieri
Yusuke Urameshi Gif Guy
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Alfieri
I prefer watching my anime in english dub. It's easier for me to watch because I like to move around a lot while watching a show and would prefer to hear the character's voices as I exit in and out of the room. With subs, I'm forced to sit down and ready every line of text and I'm too busy to really do that because I have several distractions lol. Plus if I really wanted to sit down and read every line of text, I would read the manga instead. However if I hear of a really good anime and there is no dub available for whatever reason, I'll consider the sub. Much like with Attack on Titan or the last couple of episodes of Fairy Tail.
Old March 29th, 2014 (12:54 AM).
Pokemon_Fangirl

I like both, but I try to watch the dub first because sometimes I just don't feel like reading subtitles. I think the reason dubs get a bad reputation even now is because early dubs were heavily censored and given bad voice direction to the point it feels like a different show, which can be a bit insulting to the original staff who put a lot of work into their series and to people who would rather hear the English voices(some people just can't handle the highness of most Japanese voices. It even took me a while to get used to them). So, I can understand some of the sub fans POV; but the fact that their's still a "war" going on is ridiculous and a gets immature after a while; it's because of things like this I still try to keep a certain level of distance in the community.
Old March 30th, 2014 (02:47 AM).
kuzronk
It's gonna get a little weird,Gonna get a little wild.

Sub. Most dubs sound awful (Clannad is the worst imo).

Old March 31st, 2014 (09:19 PM).
Sonata
Music is freedom
Community Supporter

I prefer subbed over dubbed because I dislike the people they choose to do voice overs for english dubs. The only time I watch dubbed versions is if its a movie. Like right now I'm waiting for the new DBZ movie to come out dubbed so I don't miss any action while I'm reading.

Sponsored Links