The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 3rd, 2014, 12:16 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid

Advertise here
Thought of another thing, and although it's not restricted to Gen III, it's a HUGE issue that is most persistent with this generation.

Almost every copy of the gen III games you can find online are absolutely fake. That's not a problem with the games themselves, but it is a problem when people miss out on gen III and can't find an actual copy to play on, unless they're okay with playing on emulators. For collectors, it's especially bad.

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old February 3rd, 2014, 12:59 PM
Sheerow
The future is in the past. Onwards, Aoshima!

Nature: Adamant
I don't have very many issues with Gen III because overall it's pretty awesome. I think the major issue for R/S for me is that there STILL wasn't a physical/special split. This severely crippled some pokemon like Crawdaunt, who had two STABS that were special yet is a physical attacker. I feel like types being either physical or special would be acceptable, but yet moves that clearly should have been physical like ice punch had the "make contact" effect, and could receive poison from an effect spore shroomish or something. At that point it's hard to be understanding of the lack of a split. other than that I don't have any real problems with the games, except maybe for all of the surfing. It can get a little tiring haha. Oh and also minor things like the lack of differentiating between night and day, and also the whole dead internal battery thing. Normally that doesn't matter unless you need berries for a Milotic :(

As for FR/LG, same thing with the lack of physical/special split. And of course the whole lack of allowing friendship pokemon to evolve. I worked hard to raise a pesky little zubat to a golbat in a nuzlocke, with it only having growl and leech life or something... and then it "stopped evolving." Despicable. I wasn't a fan of needing to catch (or see? I can't remember) a certain number of pokemon to gain new items from the aides especially if playing a nuzlocke where you just can't.

(If that sounded really negative, just know that I love both sets of games :D)

Previously Ravio
Old February 3rd, 2014, 04:03 PM
PhlupPhish

Gen 3 is my favorite generation so I can't think of too much that I can't like about it.

The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that in Emerald there were unobtainable Pokemon. At the time I only had Sapphire and Emerald so I couldn't get Zangoose (Favorite Pokemon back then).
Old February 4th, 2014, 02:48 AM
Adventure
the girl who w a i t e d

Nature: Naive
The removal of the day/night system! I really loved that add in gen II and to see it disappear in the next batch of games, not even to be reinstated for FR/LG was very disappointing. I guess it had something to do with the size of tje game in the cartridge or? Anyways, that's the thing I dislike most about Gen III.

The new system with berries was kind of annoying too, as I didn't play in contests much. Still, contests were pretty fun to have occasionally.
be sure to check out PokéPOTW #24 .
moderator of POKéMON GENERAL .
and of the ROLEPLAY CORNER .
paired to a b n e g a t i o n .
Old February 5th, 2014, 02:57 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Nature: Gentle
Me too the removal of Day\night system was a ruin of the game. Nintendo workers should atleast think about it. But it didn't give me any reason to complain. Well i mean i don't like the removal but its also not disturbing me.
Old February 5th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Timbjerr
Hero of the Blue Flame
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Ever since the Physical/Special split of GenIV, it's a little hard to go back to GenIII games. It's a shame because I do love Hoenn as a region and Emerald is one of my favorite games in the series. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Introvert View Post
What I still resent gen 3 for though is the introduction of IV's & EV's. For me it took away a lot of the fun of Pokemon. It's just a tedious chore to get your Pokemon with the best stats, values, natures and egg moves. I avoided competitive battling until gen 6 because it was just too hard to get a competitively viable team without cheating until X & Y came out.
Actually, IVs were present in the first two generations, as well as Stat XP, a precursor to the EV system. What GenIII did was add natures and reformat IVs and change Stat XP into EVs so as to appeal to the competitive scene, which was starved for a deeper battle system at the time.

In GenI/GenII, your pokémon's IVs didn't matter as much because they only varied from 1-15 and you could max out your Stat XP in all stats instead of just two like EVs.

PokéCommunity Veteran Timbjerr

"We're not perfect. Sometimes our brains tell us one thing, while our emotions tell us another. And war... The more we try to avoid it, the worse it is when it comes to us."
Old February 5th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Spinosaurus

If you wanted proof that R/S/E barely had any major flaws, it's this thread. Nearly all flaws posted here are either nitpicky (feebas, guys? really? that's all you could think of?), easily negligible (water, which is no worse than caves - you know, like how many kanto and johto got, but hoenn barely did? the water was the replacement. and kanto and particularly johto STILL had a lot of water anyway) and something that plagues other games in the series. (physical/special split pre-gen 4, which i admit is dated but it's easy to adjust to anyway.)

The one thing I could agree on is Cerberus' post about the awful movepool for most Pokemon, but really this is a problem with a lot of Pokemon games anyway because there just way too many Pokemon that don't get any good moves until much higher levels anyway. B/W fixed that with reusable TMs...except for the fact you have to find the TM in the first place, and all the good moves are found later on, you might as have already gotten the moves you wanted by level up. And you need a guide, screw that.

And I honestly don't get the post game complaints. This is a complain I've seen thrown at EVERY Pokemon game anyway, so it's really overblown. And before you give me G/S/C, no. Kanto is small and terrible in that game. Emerald's Battle Frontier actually was fun because it encouraged players to widen their playstyle and actually develop their skills and be challenged, and if you were intimidated by that then it's really your fault and you shouldn't call the post game empty. Whereas Kanto was basically a run down of really weak trainers and Pokemon until you get to Red. Battle Frontier >>>>>>>>>>>> Gimped Kanto, any day. Platinum and Emerald have the best post game by far because of the battle frontier. B/W went back to Johto's idea of a "post-game" by adding cities that are just there. MORE cities does NOT equal to a better post game guys. To me a good post game is something that'll offer the player endless variety in its system and something to do to test your skills, something like the Battle Frontier. I don't know about B/W2 since I haven't beaten it, but if it had something like Battle Frontier then fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post
The removal of the day/night system! I really loved that add in gen II and to see it disappear in the next batch of games, not even to be reinstated for FR/LG was very disappointing. I guess it had something to do with the size of tje game in the cartridge or? Anyways, that's the thing I dislike most about Gen III.
Thank god it was gone actually. This feature adds NOTHING but limits, and for what? Realism? Applying realism to game design is a bad, bad idea and should never happen (unless it was designed around realism, which Pokemon isn't)

Look at it this way. Why should I wait until evening to catch me a Murkrow? Why stop progressing and wait until then? And then, why should I sleep and wake up next morning to trigger this event that could help me out? It's terrible. R/S/E had mostly everything any time you want and that's great. The day/night system is just limits for no justified reason. And then gen 4 took it to the extreme. This is one of my least favorite thing about Pokemon by far and one of the main flaws in its design, and one of the biggest reasons why Emerald is the only Pokemon I can replay. And before telling me that I can change the settings - why should I do that to begin with?

Last edited by Spinosaurus; February 5th, 2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:31 AM
UniversalGamer

I enjoyed Pokemon Ruby but it was something about the story i didn't like. Pokemon Ruby was just one of those games that i really didn't enjoy, maybe it just me that really had a hard time falling for this game but reading alot online, people dislike this games because you weren't allowed to trade over pokemon from the previous gen and having the games where you can't get all pokemon made PKGamers mad. That's why they recreated Pokemon Firered & LeafGreen.

PokeCommunity Challenges:
-Red - Hated Pokemon Challenge

Currently doing Legendary Trio Challenge On Pokemon Gold.
Old February 6th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
There really isn't much wrong with the generation 3 games, but I do have a couple points.

- Apart from Emerald, no Gen 3 games have animated pokémon sprites. Considering Crystal was on a much weaker system yet had animation (Which actually looks better than the animation from Emerald or any Gen 4 games) so this oversight was quite annoying when I really R/S/FR/LG

- The amount of surfing near the end of R/S/E. The game just becomes rather repetitious and just throws lots of boring sea routes at you. The last good 10-15% of the game feels rather rushed as a whole.
Old February 11th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Mesmerella
Preschooler

Nature: Quirky
Well, Gen III was my favorite, so I can't think of anything that I really dislike about it...

I will say, though, the lack of Johto Pokemon was something that really saddened me as a kid. In my Leaf Green version, I had the whole Kanto and Hoenn parts of the Pokedex filled up... But my Johto dex was sadly empty, because there was a lot of stuff that was either unavailable, or way too difficult to get. Because of this, I always grew up viewing Johto as a strange, exotic region that I never really quite understood... I tried playing Crystal as a kid, and I managed to beat the game and get to Red (didn't beat him, though), but the leap in graphics was just so severe that I couldn't really get into the game the way I could with Gen III, you know? So, yeah, I just wish that Johto Pokemon weren't so mysterious... That was something that really hampered my experience as a kid.
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Connor96

Nature: Modest
3rd Gen was the best. I started with Gold & Silver, with Gold in German (note: I was 6 years old, had trouble reading English as it's not my native language and German isn't my native language either), and even though I had hard times with both games, I loved them. So when I was 10 and I figured out what English was and knew how to play Pokémon, within no-time I had 300 hours played on my Emerald Rom. (The only game that ever might win that amount of playtime would be Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, but that's off-topic :p)
The only things I plainly hated, and still infuriates me, is that if you now have FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby, Emerald AND Sapphire, find the patience to trade the roamers and starters in FR/LG, you still cannot legally catch Mew, Ho-oh, Lugia, Celebi, Deoxys, Jirachi etc. because the events are no longer accessible. The idea of those special events just made me cry when I found out, after 300 hours of roaming still not being able to have all Pokémon. Nevertheless, 3rd Gen is brilliant :p
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Dksoulstice

Pokemon contests were meh

I liked them initially, but there's really no reason to pursue it. The rewards aren't satisfying enough.
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Jmacc

Not many pokemon in the hoen pokedex and the lack of a story which is problem with all the pokemon games haha. Lastly I did not like the implementation of the berry could have been handled better
Old March 10th, 2014, 10:42 AM
11jphillipps

i like everything about gen 3, the only thing that made me upset was that i could not transfer my pokemon from gen 2 into gen 3, i got so upset when i had to leave my favorite pokemon umbreon in my pokemon silver
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Dark Sneasel
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
3 water HMs. Way too many. I loved everything else except the bright tiles.
Pokémon Emerald Specials
Change Player OW in script
Making a tag battle script
G3HS extended Pokemon in the wild
Starting out with Rom Hacking? Click here
#SlowDownFigi
Old March 11th, 2014, 06:11 PM
orangeralts21
Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet

Nature: Serious
Gen 3 is my favorite generation, so I can't bash it all that much, but it there are a few things that I wish would be different.

Above all, I really wish they could have in-game clocks, even without the day and night environment changes. Mostly because:
A) Espeon is my favorite Eeveelution, and would be great in FR/LG.
B) Psychic Type absolutely breaks FR/LG.

I also wish R/S/E could have Dittos. I do a lot of breeding shenanigans.

My Zetaboards Nuzlocke Forum Account
Old March 25th, 2014, 12:47 PM
RemixinROMulus
Crit happens...

Nature: Lonely
Can't really say much bad about Gen 3. It was definitely my favorite. The major thing that makes me go arrrgh! is that the physical/special split STILL had not happened. Come on, GameFreak! Shadow Ball is still a physical attack that lowers special, and Gyarados is not as powerful as it could be. Such a large number of moves changed their physical/special in gen 4. This kinda goes for the whole series but I think Hoenn was the worst: The plot and character personalities are just complete and utter crap. The whole story is just sooo predictable and everyone is just the nicest person in the world and have no personalities. But I guess Colosseum and XD (my favorite gen 3 games!) hugely make up for this with their anime-like feel. I love Emerald for including some Gen 4 elements like the all-important EV-reducing berries, and Pokemon abilities having overworld effects. There is still a lack of powerful bug-type moves and Pokemon. Gen 3 had the fewest evolutions introduced. We should have had Rhyperior, Dusknoir, Munchlax, and Electrivire and friends in Gen 3.

Gen 3 had few glitches and bugs (both software bugs and bug-type Pokemon) compared to most other generations. There was the berry glitch (can be easily patched) and the roaming Pokemon glitch, but nothing just outrageously major like Missingno, the Celebi Egg glitch, and tweaking.
Wild WEBSITE used VIRUS!
It's super effective!
WINDOWS fainted!
Go for it! LINUX!
Wild WEBSITE used VIRUS!
It doesn't affect LINUX...
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Ephraim225
Freaky Frillish Guy

CTRL+F "Rival" - No matches found

Really? Okay then.

This is just R/S/E, but the biggest problem I had with those games was that the Rival is no doubt the worst person ever. S/he has no ambition, no real desire to beat you, and doesn't even get the final form of his/her starter. I would've loved to see more of Wally - you only fight him once, and he has a pretty boss team.

FRLG was disappointing in that it was barely any different from RBY. A remake is supposed to expand on the original's content, and while FRLG did add more areas and post game, the original game's areas don't get anything new in them. A lot of RBY's potential just isn't utilized. Also, there's no in-game clock, so no time-based events for any potential ROM hacks. Okay that's nitpicky, but it does also mean Espeon and Umbreon are impossible to get without trades.

Fortunately Colosseum and XD are totally awesome to make up for that.
Old March 28th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
^ totally agree with Ephraim.
RSE were fun games, but there was a severe lack of a "real" rival.
Ephraim has already explained why, and from a personal point of view ill just add that i cant take Wally seriously...at all

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Ephraim225
Freaky Frillish Guy

Well, as stated, he's only fought once, for real anyways, and at the end of Victory Road no less. Last time you saw him, he only had a Ralts. But, that's precisely why there needed to be more of him - he works through some kind of illness to get all the badges and does aspire to beat you. Even worse, you can apparently rematch him four more times, but again, you see so little of him that it's hard to care.

In fact, can we make the Hoenn remake star Wally and follow his story instead of Brendan/May?......Hey, a guy can dream XD
Old March 28th, 2014, 04:29 AM
Fernbutter
Murder is the way.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Fernbutter
It all started in Emerald. I was determined on catching all the Pokemon, then I was on a hunt for Feebas. That was when all my hopes and dreams were shattered in a span of 9 hours.

There should be a signature here somewhere.
I wonder where it's gone.
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Sopheria
Your Favorite Senpai
Community Supporter

Gen 3 is and will probably always be my favorite. The only flaws with it are the lack of the physical/special split and the lack of Wi-Fi. But back when it first came out we didn't see that as a flaw, because that was just the way it always was, and we were delighted that the game came packaged with an IR adapter, because up to that point we always had to buy those link cables and daisy chain our Gameboys together (good times...). Seriously, that thing was a friggin' godsend.

One thing that surprisingly I haven't seen anyone mention is the gap between Gen 2 and Gen 3. I had worked so hard to build up a nice collection in Crystal, and then I almost cried when I couldn't bring them into Sapphire. Of course, I quickly got over it because Sapphire was such a good game. And making RGBY remakes was a great move and in my opinion a brilliant solution to the problem of there being Pokemon missing from Hoenn.

I was also disappointed that you couldn't revisit Johto or Kanto. One of my favorite things about Gen 2 was the ability to backtrack to Kanto and fight all the gym leaders there. At the time I had assumed that would be a pattern that would continue with each generation. But that's another one I got over pretty quickly because the Hoenn region is huge with so much to explore and discover. After all these years I'm still not sure if I've explored everything there is to explore in Hoenn.

Overall they're practically flawless games. They have a few faults but they're all pretty minor and easily overlooked.
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:07 PM
mangamusicfan
The Lost one.
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Relaxed
The Secret base's Is something What I don't like, It has nothing to do with Pokemon,
The Design of the world map is pretty Boring!

Timeghoul is absolute Awesomnes!
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Sopheria
Your Favorite Senpai
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamusicfan View Post
The Secret base's Is something What I don't like, It has nothing to do with Pokemon,
The Design of the world map is pretty Boring!
The secret bases have nothing to do with Pokemon? Explain?
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Schizii
Kawaii Ghost Princess ♥

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Schizii
I really don't feel as though there's much to dislike about Gen 3 to be quite honest, besides the minor things everyone else has mentioned.
One thing I didn't quite like though was some of the pokeblock things and contest halls. I always felt they were unnecessary add-ons. What would be cool is if there was actually a league of that type like there is in the anime. Otherwise, I saw no point in having those. //shrug
But, nonetheless, Gen 3 will always be my favourite generation. I can play it endless times and I will absolutely not get bored of it.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here