The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 26th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Emerald_Fire
(Insert Espurr meme here)

If we can link offsite (I'm unsure), I'll post a link to the listing, but yes, we haven't accomplished all of them yet, although the Fairy-type made the total number of combinations greater.
And before you say "There are only 38" I meant, by 40 unused type combos, there are 40 not acquirable through normal gameplay at all.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Brendino; January 26th, 2014 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Added chart for reference
Old January 26th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
It probably be easier to list the all yourself. Not a lot of people can list off the unused types without having to make a chart of every possible type combination and then going down the list. So instead of offsite linking, just write them all out.

Won't generate much discussion without this and I'm one that would need to see what they haven't used to generate a better response.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Pokemon Trainer Jackey

Nature: Gentle
Obviously we need 40 new Pokemon, then. Well, more like 60-80, to account for evolutions and whatnot.

I remember being really excited when Litwik came out due to fire/ghost being a new combo then.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:30 PM
King Koop

How about a grass ghost type based on the Green Man?
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Flushed
down the drain.
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Flushed
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Koop View Post
How about a grass ghost type based on the Green Man?
Gourgeist and Trevenant lines are already Grass/Ghost, unless you're just suggesting we need more lol.
Old January 26th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I've added a picture of the remaining unused type combos to the first post for everyone's reference.

As for myself, I'd love to see an Ice/Steel, Electric/Psychic and Bug/Psychic type added in the future. And looking at the list, I'm kind of surprised at how many dual-Poison types haven't been used yet. Out of the eight there, Poison/Fire seems like it could be a really fun combination to use.
Old January 26th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Wow so many unused combos with Fairy, Normal and Poison.

We need some of those next generation, I'd really like to see a Fire/Fairy-type because there's so many potential designs that can come from it. Same with Ice/Fairy. Also, while Ice/Steel could stem up some good design potential it would probably suck competitively (4x Fire and Fighting weakness, OUCH!) but yeah I'm hoping we get less generic, already-seen combinations next generation and more of the currently unusued combinations.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

on a leave of absence

Old January 27th, 2014, 04:22 AM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
The concepts are circulating more around each other, methinks. That's good, yes, but not quite the way that exploits the use of these new types. For instance, going through the list of mythological creatures Pokémon are based upon, you wouldn't find much more than the Dragon type or legendary Pokémon. But the list of mythological creatures is huge. Gigantic, even. There's a lot of fish in the pond, yes, so why not stop there for a while? Note that I just gave this as an example, not that we need many Pokémon based on mythology itself. A good example could be the basilisk, that could easily contribute for a Poison/Dragon type.

So, leaving back what's unused may not be the wisest move if you're aiming for variety all the time.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Emerald_Fire
(Insert Espurr meme here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamais View Post
I've added a picture of the remaining unused type combos to the first post for everyone's reference.

As for myself, I'd love to see an Ice/Steel, Electric/Psychic and Bug/Psychic type added in the future. And looking at the list, I'm kind of surprised at how many dual-Poison types haven't been used yet. Out of the eight there, Poison/Fire seems like it could be a really fun combination to use.
Hey, thanks. That's actually the exact thing I was going to link to.
But personally, I'd love to see some of these combos. A Bug/Dragon type would be awesome, even though I'm not much of a user of either. There are also a lot of good puns that could come out of these - a Grass/Rock (yes it has been done before, but still) acoustic guitar could evolve into an Electric/Rock electric guitar. Just for pun.
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Adventure
thief . of . light

Nature: Naive
All the Poison combos sound cool in my ears. Poison has gotten way too little love over the years, considering it has some pretty grand and useful moves. It's just that it's hardly super effective to anything. Type combos could help this, for the pokémon at least, not for the type.

A duo set of pokémon being bug/dark and bug/psychic in next gen, anyone? That's what they could have done to Dustox and Beautifly but nnnnope.
Old January 28th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Puddle
Mission Complete✔

Nature: Lax
A lot of the normal types wouldn't really make sense though. So it would be stupid to have those types added. Like a normal/ghost is a complete oxymoron!

Old January 28th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Aniyha

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to Aniyha
Plot twist: A spin-off of the games where all of the contradictory type match ups (Like the Normal/Ghost oxymoron mentioned above, Fire/Water and Fire/Grass, etc) are mashed together and turned into Pokemon that upset the balance so you need to catch them all. Maybe as a Pokemon Ranger?
Old January 28th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Puddle
Mission Complete✔

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyha View Post
Plot twist: A spin-off of the games where all of the contradictory type match ups (Like the Normal/Ghost oxymoron mentioned above, Fire/Water and Fire/Grass, etc) are mashed together and turned into Pokemon that upset the balance so you need to catch them all. Maybe as a Pokemon Ranger?
Team ---- did an experiment that went horribly wrong in an attempt to create the ultimate Pokemon. This led to mutations of types and Pokemon and the game could be based off fusions. We are on to something!

Old January 28th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Pokemon Trainer Jackey

Nature: Gentle
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Fire/Water is inherently contradictory? What about hot springs? Boiling water with steam so hot that it scalds? (And yeah, steam can get that hot; I've been scalded by steam before.) It'd be easy to make up a Pokemon that plays off of that idea.

Dude. Steam-powered Pokemon.
Old January 28th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Flushed
down the drain.
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Flushed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Jackey View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Fire/Water is inherently contradictory? What about hot springs? Boiling water with steam so hot that it scalds? (And yeah, steam can get that hot; I've been scalded by steam before.) It'd be easy to make up a Pokemon that plays off of that idea.

If I'm not mistaken, Volcanion is based on this idea?

And although Fighting hits a lot of them really hard, I want to see how creative they can get with some of those Normal type combinations.
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
If (or when) Volcanion and Hoopa is revealed by Game freak, Fire/Water and Ghost/Psychic will be official as well.

I hope Flygon gets a Dragon/Bug mega evolution in the future. Or Yanmega (Mega Yanmega, lol).

Fire/Grass could be based off of a forest fire, Ice/Fire could be based off of dry ice, and Normal/Ghost... could be based off off of something like Schrodinger's cat and uncertainty of life or death.

Old January 29th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Gabon

We need more pokemons That's the simple fact that the players want more and more and they have to be creative
Old January 29th, 2014, 05:33 AM
Stargazer
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Stargazer
Quote:

That's why we have the move Scald, and at first I thought your post meant that wouldn't be easily possible but then I was like oh yeah, that's right.

And to the guy two posts above me, yeah, i've heard more than one person saying that Yanmega should have been Bug/Dragon, and admittedly it has a design that suggests that. There are some type combos that would be cool to see (Electric/Psychic as mentioned, and maybe Poison/Fire), and some that would be bad (Ice/Steel and Ice/Bug, anyone?).
Old January 30th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Well, there you go. My username is close enough for a Water/Fire type (And comes with a unique range of signature moves too ).

As for new typings, I'm surprised Electric/Fighting isn't a used combo. If I was developer I'd re-categorize Electivire's typing to that new typing. We know it has a high Attack stat, so why not? Ice/Fighting is another combo I think will be coming up in Gen 7, although the only possibilities would perhaps be something like a fighting penguin/polar bear if we were to take that chance.

BTW I like Emerald Fire's idea for an Electric/Rock Pokemon. That would be so cool!

Last edited by Boilurn; January 30th, 2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: grammar
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:24 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
Wow, I didn't know there were so many unused combos! I wouldn't mind seeing ones like Posion/Ice, Electric/Psychic, Water/Fire...

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old January 31st, 2014, 08:02 AM
Endoplasmic Reticulum
Electivire > You

Nature: Adamant
I want a fairy/ice Pokemon that would be like a snow angel. That thing would destroy dragons
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:42 PM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
Ghost/Psychic Pokemon - Poltergeistor! :D
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old January 31st, 2014, 08:19 PM
thomas0comer

I'd love to see a grass-dragon type. It'd probably look really cool, and I'd expect it to do alright gameplay-wise despite the 4x ice weakness.
Am I the only one disappointed that Ninetales didn't gain a part Fairy-type?
Also, Normal-Ghost would be incredibly powerful. Immune to Fighting, Normal, and Ghost, and weak only to Dark.

Ultimate Water Monotype Challenge
-LeafGreen 8/8- SoulSilver 7/16 -Emerald 8/8- -Platinum 8/8- Black X
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:14 AM
Slnxdx

Fire/Water and Ghost/Psychic are used typings. The pokemon are in the coding for X/Y, they just weren't released yet - think Genesect - their names are Volcanion and Hoopa respectively.

That being said, I'd love to see a Normal/Ghost pokemon, and maybe something with Poison?
Its only real (competitive) value is the status inflicting and even that can be done by other Pokemon so, maybe strong Poison Pokemon with creative type combinations could change that (I'm looking forward specially for Poison/Steel and Poison/Psychic)

Last edited by Slnxdx; February 2nd, 2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Typo '-_-
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:34 AM
Castform
The Snow Land Pokémon

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
Fire/Grass! Been wanting this type combination since the original games haha. I think it would be SO cool to have and definitely the one I am rooting for most next gen :D

"Legends in snowy regions say that a woman who was lost on an icy mountain was reborn as Froslass."
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links