Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 25th, 2014 (04:36 PM).
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
The second is probably the result of not making the habitat table properly. The first.... well... none of us trade, lol.
Actually I fear the second may be something else entirely.
When I messed around with habitat data myself before your tool came out,
I noticed that no matter what Pokemon I caught, it'd display the first page
of the first habitat.
I think that's why it's showing Rattata, because Rattata'd be the first pokemon
in the grassland.
My worry is that there's some sort of byte somewhere in the midst of the
habitat data that when expanded, repointed or rearranged leads to catching
problems.
(This was actually one of the glitches that got me started on ASM, I just
haven't looked into it since.)
Old March 25th, 2014 (08:50 PM).
Deokishisu
Mr. Magius

Nature: Relaxed
Even if nobody trades with each other, it's going to be an important issue for ingame trades, and should be fixed if you leave in the possibility for the player to trade at all.
Old March 26th, 2014 (12:48 AM).
Artemis64

Is it possible to port this to another ROM, say, Ruby?
Also, can you please post the methods you used to obtain your offsets (like the offset containing the amount of memory assigned for the Pokédex, I certainly haven't found that in any INIs) so that others can try porting this to other ROMs?
Old March 26th, 2014 (02:26 PM).
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Artemis64:
Is it possible to port this to another ROM, say, Ruby?
Also, can you please post the methods you used to obtain your offsets (like the offset containing the amount of memory assigned for the Pokédex, I certainly haven't found that in any INIs) so that others can try porting this to other ROMs?
Ruby doesn't have a malloc system to store the dex info, so no, it's almost impossible on Ruby. The code is so messy you'll get lost in it.
Old April 13th, 2014 (03:11 AM).
AtecainCorp.
Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
But why do not take an courage and start changing system from messy code to Maloc system. For example exported from Emerald.

POKEMON DIRTY SUN - Comming Soon.
POKEMON RUBY RENEV - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=341964

In case of any Questions... Go HERE
Old April 13th, 2014 (08:44 AM).
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by Ksiazek Bartlomiej:
But why do not take an courage and start changing system from messy code to Maloc system. For example exported from Emerald.
Says the guy with no programming experience...... and whom refuses to get any.

No, it is not that easy. That would be removing and porting about 1000 lines of code or more in raw ASM to another game in a way where it might not even work. It would be easier to write a completely new Pokedex in C and insert it.

Paired with Simba
Old April 14th, 2014 (07:36 AM).
LCCoolJ95
Limited Capacity

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by karatekid552:
Says the guy with no programming experience...... and whom refuses to get any.

No, it is not that easy. That would be removing and porting about 1000 lines of code or more in raw ASM to another game in a way where it might not even work. It would be easier to write a completely new Pokedex in C and insert it.
It requires C, or C++? Or is it the same thing? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

The truth is, I've been busy with school, karate, family, and I have been trying to learn how to program in my free time because...I'm going to try and port this, over to Emerald...well, not really port, but give Emerald its own version. SBird has it working for a German Emerald ROM, so why can't it work for an English Emerald ROM? So, I've been learning how to ASM program and a little bit of C++.

@Ksiazek Bartlomiej, I'm not trying to flame you or anything, I'm just saying, you should really look into ASM programming. I looked at it for a brief few minutes. It looks hard at first, but it's pretty simple if you get a handle on it

Fairy-type in Pokémon Emerald: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8185719&postcount=288
Old April 14th, 2014 (04:26 PM).
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote originally posted by LCCoolJ95:
It requires C, or C++? Or is it the same thing? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

The truth is, I've been busy with school, karate, family, and I have been trying to learn how to program in my free time because...I'm going to try and port this, over to Emerald...well, not really port, but give Emerald its own version. SBird has it working for a German Emerald ROM, so why can't it work for an English Emerald ROM? So, I've been learning how to ASM program and a little bit of C++.

@Ksiazek Bartlomiej, I'm not trying to flame you or anything, I'm just saying, you should really look into ASM programming. I looked at it for a brief few minutes. It looks hard at first, but it's pretty simple if you get a handle on it
C++ is C with object orientated programming tacked on (that is why the syntax is a bit more awkward when compared to other object orientated languages). The compiler for GBA, as far as I know, is only C, but you can apply most of C++, just skip the objects.

Paired with Simba
Old April 22nd, 2014 (03:41 AM).
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

This could be a huge bug if other are getting this, but Eggs won't hatch when given to the player.
Old April 23rd, 2014 (06:54 PM). Edited April 23rd, 2014 by DoesntKnowHowToPlay.
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

It turns out there are two pointers to x254795 in the ROM, which is the 18th byte of the first entry of the base stat table. This is what's causing the eggs to not hatch- they're actually working fine, they just have a nonsensically high number of cycles needed to hatch. I'll add this to the OP real quick. (existing rock eggs won't be fixed because cycle count is determined at egg gen)

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
Old April 23rd, 2014 (08:16 PM).
karatekid552

Quote originally posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay:
It turns out there are two pointers to x254795 in the ROM, which is the 17th byte of the first entry of the base stat table. This is what's causing the eggs to not hatch- they're actually working fine, they just have a nonsensically high number of cycles needed to hatch. I'll add this to the OP real quick. (existing rock eggs won't be fixed because cycle count is determined at egg gen)
You guys are lucky I keep tabs on this thread. In the first post, you said 18th byte. In this one you said 17th. Ummm... The math says 17 to me, but I just need to make sure. I'm adding this to G3HS right now.

Paired with Simba
Old April 23rd, 2014 (09:12 PM).
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

It's the 18th byte, or byte #17 if you start counting from zero. Sorry about that.

Physical/Special Split
Old April 24th, 2014 (07:27 AM).
karatekid552

It's the 18th byte, or byte #17 if you start counting from zero. Sorry about that.
I coded it as statsoffset + 17, so that should work. Don't worry about it and keep me posted if anything else comes up.

Paired with Simba
Old April 24th, 2014 (03:26 PM).
ThomasWinwood

Nature: Relaxed
Add cries for the new mons. As you may know, cries after Celebi are handled unusually- the limbo slots are all hard-wired to Unown's cry (doubt this is hard to fix but lazy), while slots starting from Treecko use an auxilary table to find their cry. This table is at x2539D4- repoint and extend it. Note that you don't need to repoint the cry table itself- immediately after it is a second, unused copy of the cry table.
Something about this seems wrong. I don't see any second copies of the table in the disassembly, used or otherwise.

This is the routine that handles converting the internal ID into the cry ID, taken from knizz' disassembly and commented by me:

Code:
speciesid_conv:
    push {lr}
    lsl r0, r0, #0x10   @ typecasting
    lsr r0, r0, #0x10
    movs r1, r0
    cmp r0, #250        @ slots up to 250 have the same cry ID as the internal ID
    bls loc_8043332
    ldr r0, dword_8043324
    cmp r1, r0          @ is this slot 275 or below?
    bls loc_8043330     @ if so, branch
    ldr r0, off_8043328 @ otherwise, use the table
    ldr r2, dword_804332C
    add r1, r1, r2      @ subtract 276 from ID
    lsl r1, r1, #1      @ and multiply by two, since it's a table of 16-bit values
    add r1, r1, r0      @ then index into the table
    ldrh r0, [r1]       @ retrieve the value
    b loc_8043332       @ and leave
@ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
dword_8043324:  .long 275
off_8043328:    .long 0x082539D4
dword_804332C:  .long -276
@ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

loc_8043330:
    mov r0, #200        @ limbo slots use Unown's cry

loc_8043332:
    pop {r1}
    bx r1
@ End of function speciesid_conv
The table at x2539D4 is followed by the first experience curve table - there is no secondary cry table.

Editing this routine to remove the hardcoded cry for the limbo slots is easy: write 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 (that's ten bytes) to x4330C and 00 00 00 00 (four) to x43318, then repoint the table at x4539D4 and expand it - it's now a table with one word for every ID. (You can test to make sure that it worked without repointing the table - you'll know it worked if the title screen makes Blaziken's cry.)
Old May 9th, 2014 (08:36 PM).
Dark Sneasel
I like being a drone.
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Yeah well I have a question about this, if anyone could answer it then great.
I made a thread about it in the beginner's lounge, so here it is.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=325967

or

Spoiler:
Now I know that the tool Advanced IntroEd exists, but I wanna make it a Pokemon from the expanded dex, but seeing that Advanced IntroEd doesn't have an ini.. I can't. I assumed it would be maximum about 4 byte changes, since it's just the Pokemon, I'm gonna do the cry later, but that wasn't what happened. So I tried this in a clean rom: (1D is Nidoran F, 1E is Nidorina and the things in yellow are the changes)
Spoiler:

Now, say for my hack I want to add Turtwig, whose index number is 1B8 or 440. How would I do that? Thanks.

Join Poketch.com, a new ROM hacking community! Click on the image for more!
Old May 23rd, 2014 (04:42 PM).
Zepkhan

I'm new to this, how do I use the JPAN block changer?
Old May 23rd, 2014 (07:48 PM).
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Zepkhan:
I'm new to this, how do I use the JPAN block changer?
It's called the save block patch, and I have it right here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4l91qcr9xgbx8y2/JPAN%20save_block_recycle.ips
Old June 4th, 2014 (04:57 PM).
Zepkhan

Got 1 more question: what value do I make the SEEN/CAUGHT pointers?
Old June 5th, 2014 (12:56 AM).
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
I'm unsure if I should post this in G3HS' thread, but I myself have tried to go backwards from what the tool has done and nothing appears to be amiss.

The extended Pokémon in my ROM have broken altitudes, basically. If I change the value to be > 0, the shadow displays, but the sprite stays where it is. If I set it to 0, the shadow disappears, so that is working. However, regardless of the value, the sprites remain "stuck" to the ground. I've tried re-repointing the altitude table, the 03 E0 byte changes on the OP have been done successfully, and it's obviously registering that there is an altitude value, it just isn't using it.

I've also tried editing the altitude using Advanced Series and simply using a hex editor, so the value is definitely changing. I feel like I'm missing a limiting byte or something, but I can't seem to find what it is exactly.

This only happens to the extended Pokémon in my ROM: with Chimecho, it's fine, but with Turtwig, it doesn't work.
Old June 5th, 2014 (05:09 AM).
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

Try putting 06 E0 at x74788.

Physical/Special Split
Old June 5th, 2014 (07:39 AM).
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Try putting 06 E0 at x74788.
That fixed it! Thanks Doesnt!
Old June 5th, 2014 (11:27 AM).
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Zepkhan:
Got 1 more question: what value do I make the SEEN/CAUGHT pointers?
All you gotta do is point them to the seen/caught flags. Nothing hard
Old June 13th, 2014 (02:14 AM).
bimbimthiensu

my english is not good, and I can not understand the steps. you can make a video tutorial for me? thanks
Old June 18th, 2014 (04:04 PM).
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Doesnt himself told me this so I'm just going to post it here so I don't have to save it somewhere:

For FireRed, to fix cries on expanded mons that use a cry index of higher than 0x200, put 01 1C 11 E0 at x720CA.
Old June 18th, 2014 (04:51 PM).
GoGoJJTech
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Chaos Rush:
Doesnt himself told me this so I'm just going to post it here so I don't have to save it somewhere:

For FireRed, to fix cries on expanded mons that use a cry index of higher than 0x200, put 01 1C 11 E0 at x720CA.
isn't this in the first post somewhere

Sponsored Links