The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Anime & Manga

Notices

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 9th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Advertise here

Synopsis

Episodes: 12
Genres: Action, Adventure, Supernatural

Yato, a minor god, dreams to become the most revered deity in the world with big shrine and all. However, being a penniless god that he is, he has a long way to go and his shinki (lit. divine weapon) leaving him doesn't help matter. Later, when he does his job, a junior high school girl named Hiyori Iki, who is unaware of Yato's status as a deity, pushes him out of the way of a speeding bus.

Things get complicated when this incident triggers abnormality in Hiyori's soul, causing her to make an Astral Projection whenever she falls unconscious. To turn herself back to normal, Hiyori must help Yato becoming a better god who can fix the problem, along with Yato's new shinki, Yukine.

More information: myanimelist and funimation
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
One of the funniest series this season =D
Kamiya Hiroshi as Yato is a win.
I like the concept as a whole, one of better series I'm watching this season.

(How can Yato be portrayed with Sekki/Yukine/Yuki in sword form when he's behind him?! That's practically blasphemous!)

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:31 AM
Jude Mathis
[ heavenly blue ]
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I love this series so much.

I thought I'd check out the anime on a whim one day. I was bored.

Best anime-related decision I've made in a long while, and I really enjoy it so far. Got my best friend to watch it too, and I'm also in the process of catching up to the manga. Good stuff. I love the characters, and the concept; though a mix of things I've seen previously, is really intriguing. Don't regret getting into this one bit.

{ asseylum vers allusia }
antemortemever grande citytumblr
Old February 10th, 2014, 01:23 AM
Flower
ワイルドフラワー

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Flower
Watched the latest. Yeah, it's great. I just hate how others treated Yato, even though he REALLY is a God. But everyone says he calls himself a God or he really isn't..? Am I wrong? Anyway, I can wait for the next episode. *A*
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:42 AM
Raine
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Kamiya Hiroshi is everywhere ever since Shingeki! The humour in this anime is top-notch, but at the same time, I'm not entirely sure what exactly the plot is...Besides Yato trying to become a God.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Dropped this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanille Sky View Post
Kamiya Hiroshi is everywhere ever since Shingeki!
You are kidding, right?
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:53 AM
Raine
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lapras- View Post
Dropped this one.

You are kidding, right?
Sort of? He was well known before Shingeki, but maybe I've just been taking notice of him more ever since that series.

Old February 10th, 2014, 05:10 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Surprised you didn't recognise him from one of his main and more notable roles to be honest. Surely you can't have missed Bakemonogatari, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Angel Beats and DRRR.

He's been everywhere for around a decade now.
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanille Sky View Post
Kamiya Hiroshi is everywhere
You spelled Kana Hanazawa wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Watched the latest. Yeah, it's great. I just hate how others treated Yato, even though he REALLY is a God. But everyone says he calls himself a God or he really isn't..? Am I wrong? Anyway, I can wait for the next episode. *A*
Seriously, would you believe some random homeless guy in jersey that he's a god? =D

Old February 10th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Jude Mathis
[ heavenly blue ]
Community Supporter

Do we know if this is only going to be 12 episodes? I really hope they don't end the anime altogether after that. :/

Quote:
That is true, but sometimes people don't really look into seiyuu much until they land that one role that the person really, really likes. xD Like how Mamoru Miyano is all over the place, but some don't notice him at all until they find out "Oh, he's Light!", "Oh, he's Dento!"

Old February 10th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

Quote:
Surprised you didn't recognise him from one of his main and more notable roles to be honest. Surely you can't have missed Bakemonogatari, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Angel Beats and DRRR.

I've only recently started factoring in seiyuus into helping to choose which series to watch .___. Having said that, he was one of the main reasons I decided to watch this and remains the only reason \: It's not that the series is particularly bad, but I don't see it going anywhere...

Old February 10th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Good, but I wished if it was a little fast paced/plot orientated, but at least the comedy's working.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:36 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Baskerville View Post
Do we know if this is only going to be 12 episodes? I really hope they don't end the anime altogether after that. :/
Well... we never know but it's planned to be 12 episodes one at this time.
But anime industry likes to troll in these past years... especially in the previous season. =D
Tokyo Ravens, Strike the Blood and Kill la Kill were supposed to be one quarter and we still have them =D

Old February 12th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Dragon
the ultimate gambler

Nature: Modest
Gods, I've picked this up, and I do indeed love the comedy:

#died ;o;

Old February 12th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

I'm really enjoying the neat blend of comedy and action. I became hooked within a few episodes, where episode 3 really stood out to me. Hiyori realized that shinki/regalia don't die through suicide, but that they're people who still want to live. Yato couldn't tolerate seeing others waste their lives in front of shinki.

...This realization makes episode 2 all the more sad. When Yato first gained Yukine, he sees flashes of Yukine's life. After the fight, Yato becomes teary-eyed. From the stills, we can see:

The luggage indicates someone is leaving. The handshake implies they're parting ways; divorce. Yukine is left with the father and shows signs of neglect.
Spoiler:

Broken cup of coffee denotes anger. A male, assumed to be the father, stomps on unread letters, presumably from Yukine's mother and sister. Blood-stained bandages on a child's arm depict abuse and neglect. Signs of an empty wallet symbolize poverty while empty beer cans can imply alcoholism. The last image, judging from the haircut, has to be Yukine's sister.
Spoiler:

Yato found Yukine's spirit near a post-office, where he was possibly waiting for the letters...

Note that Yukine's weapon form has bandages around the sword. Do you suppose the weapon that is made has some relation to what's happened to the shinki?

I've read through the manga, and the realization follows through two big themes coming up, but I won't spoil, haha. Go read it if you haven't!
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Dragon
the ultimate gambler

Definitely curious on how weapon!Yukine is represented by a sword and bandages, so, yeah, maybe he had a troubled past where he had abusive trauma one way on another. If he lived with a male, probably his dad, then maybe his dad was abusive to the point on where Yukine maybe ran away from home and waited by mail posts.

Hmmm, maybe he was hospitalized in some way, and the coffee dropping was a sign that his parents heard the bad news about what's happening to him and thus consumed large amounts of alcohol (from those cans)? Something to think about indeed. @_@

But yeah, I'm leaning more towards the parental neglect though. His mother and sister left him when he was really young and I guess by depression, his dad took it all out on him.

Old February 12th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Hmm, I didn't consider the thought of Yukine being a runaway child. Yukine would have likely been consumed by phantoms along the way if it was a reoccurring event, but he wasn't. I think he did die because of neglect through no fault of his own, with his dad to blame.

I'm rewatching episode 3 and I realized Tomone was a dagger under Yato's control and is a smoke pipe under Tenjin's control. So, the form may not be based on the shinki, but rather the god and what they feel is suitable. Certainly, Tenjin can't carry around like, 5+ weapons... Bishamon sure likes being a walking armory, though.

Spoiler:
Bishamon's bra is definitely a lucky shinki ;)
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Jude Mathis
[ heavenly blue ]
Community Supporter

When I first saw Yukine's flashbacks, I assumed his mother died, and his father was a drunk and abused him, either before or after his mother died. Though, I'm liking some of the theories I'm reading here, and they're less cliche then what I guessed.

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:53 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Baskerville View Post
When I first saw Yukine's flashbacks, I assumed his mother died, and his father was a drunk and abused him, either before or after his mother died. Though, I'm liking some of the theories I'm reading here, and they're less cliche then what I guessed.
This image

shows a lady and someone who is too girly to be Yukine so I agree with divorce theory.

If the father was alcoholic prior to divorce, one wouldn't be surprised that mother wanted to leave...

Old February 13th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
Definitely one of the best newer anime series. I usually don't pick things that are too new up without a lot of recommendations so due to that alone this one was quite special! I absolutely adore the two main boys, especially Yuki. Little guy is so precious.

pair clubs
family twin
my star
Old February 16th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Dragon
the ultimate gambler

Whoo, episode 7 is here! My general thoughts in the spoiler as I watched it:

Spoiler:

> Yato in bed HOW TO REACT HIYORI??
> Uh oh, Yukaine ran awaaay
> eek, 3 months seems a bit much, haha
> oh gods, Hiyori is DOOMED
> but she's invisible I guess! wonder what Yato did for the guy
> ugh really bad choices to choose ;_;
> whee working in a shop!
> OMG did Yato just wallop her?? why is he not PUNCHED
> Oh gosh Yukaine, whyyy ;o;
> ahh is Yato and Hiyori really going to--- nope
> Aww, and Yato has a sweet spot after all! :3

all and all, another good episode! Can't wait to see how this plays out; but it'd be tough, haha. @_@

Old February 16th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Episode 7 out on Sunday, whee!

Bishamon is so cool. Her Regalia, Kazuma, has such a neat power in allowing himself to survey the area and to coordinate Bishamon's other Regalia.

Spoiler:
Bishamon doesn't seem to notice that Kazuma is somewhat disloyal as he:
1) bowed to Yato last episode
2) said "nice" when Yukine sliced the bullet in half last episode
3) restrained and hid Hiyori so that he could talk to her and ask her to save Yato's life
...That foreshadowing is crazy. I just hope they can do it all within 12 episodes or get a second season.

Either way, Bishamon is an absolute contrast to Yato, who's a bum. I feel sorry for Yukine trying to ask others for work. Kinda justified if the pair can't afford food and shelter. Poor Hiyori's been feeding them. Yukine gets a lot of hate, but he's 10 times worse in the manga. IIRC his first encounter with Yato/Hiyori was super rude in the manga. He's more likable in the anime, and he was doing quite fine until Nora popped into the picture.

So they explained "noras" this episode, great. I was wondering at first why she had so many tattoos on her body. I thought they were like, transmutation markings from Fullmetal Alchemist, haha. Silly me. They tattoos are different names given by the multiple gods she's served, and she has no affinity to any of them. Now, she's basically a clingy stalker and tries to belittle Yukine. Every time Yuki doubts his master, Yato also gets stung. Why's Yukine stealing money anyway when he stole items the last episode? Is Yukine intentionally trying to be a brat then, and is Yato intentionally prolonging the suffering? :( A smaller Phantom was right outside the convenience store... Don't fall victim!

Yukine just doesn't understand that Yato can sense the poor mental state. Yato's already exhausted and pale all of the time. The blight spread to his hands and face, oh dear.

Nora is so mean. Nobody wants to use you, you basic garbage.

Last edited by Lilith; February 16th, 2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Nora is so mean. Nobody wants to use you, you basic garbage.
I would use her xD She's psycho but she's voiced by Rie Kugimiya xD

Old February 17th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph

Started watching this anime just recently, and I've gotta say, I'm really enjoying it. The only think that irks me is the fact that it's only 12 episodes. Seems like they're building up such a huge world and concept, it's just hard to imagine everything being done through 12 episodes. Though I may just have grown too accustomed to the more long-running animes.

In any case, I'm loving this anime, the concept, the world, the characters (even Yuki, he's actually one of my favourites), and most of all, I'm loving Yukine's hat. I mean hot damn that thing is gorgeous ;^; Looking forward to the future episodes!

Spoiler:
Definitely interested in knowing what happened between Yato and Kazuma; and whether Bishamon will find out :o
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:32 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Several items were released or revealed this month. Noragami OVA covering Chapter 25 was released and subbed, the OST was released and shared online/YouTube, and the manga is coming to North America this fall. Anyone else excited? :3
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here