The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Anime & Manga

Notices

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:11 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Spoiler:
Bishamon doesn't seem to notice that Kazuma is somewhat disloyal as he:
1) bowed to Yato last episode
2) said "nice" when Yukine sliced the bullet in half last episode
3) restrained and hid Hiyori so that he could talk to her and ask her to save Yato's life
...That foreshadowing is crazy. I just hope they can do it all within 12 episodes or get a second season.
Spoiler:
Considering Kazama refers to Yato as his savior/one who he owns his life we can presume something happened between them... maybe Yato killed Kazama's shinki companion that killed their previous master? o.O

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old February 23rd, 2014, 06:35 PM
El Héroe Oscuro
The Mad Blogger. ♞

But in all honesty, can we all just appreciate that someone had the smarts to make this into a GIF.
Spoiler:

And also quick question about episode 8....
Spoiler:
You know how at the end of episode 8 Yukine went ballistic with the baseball bat and smashed all the windows? Now people can't see him, but can they see the baseball bat that he is using? All I can picture is them looking out the windows to see a levitating baseball bat just smashing into everything in site.

Last edited by El Héroe Oscuro; February 23rd, 2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 07:07 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Satoshi Ookami: Yeah, that's quite on the mark.

elheroeoscuro: There are tons of great .gifs, graphics, even translations of the chapters. This fandom is so great. :D

I thought about that the other day! The students probably don't see the baseball bat either. The phenomenon was described as you walking past a stranger on the street, not remembering their face, and forgetting about him within a few minutes. So, Yukine and his bat should be completely ignored. Furthermore, Yukine has an issue with the darkness. Currently, he's ignored by every living human and he's stuck like that; sounds a LOT like darkness to me. No wonder he's freaking out like a baby a lot lately.

Episode 8 is out today.

The first thing I noticed was that the Opening changed. The anime-original character replaced Yato in this first .gif and replaced Nora in this second .gif. He debuted last episode towards the end in the dark alley, where Nora motioned Yato to use her. It's stated in articles that the new character is someone Yato could have become if he followed a darker path. I'm really interested in how these next few episodes unfold.

Onto the 8th episode itself, things took a darker turn in general. There's a persistent theme of crossing the borderline.
Spoiler:

Yato finds an odd job again, this time helping a schoolboy with several bullies. I like how just a few moments before, we had this funny scene where Yato poof'd the girl's restroom and swore he doing wasn't doing it for giggles, but he crossed a line, and Hiyori delivered the beat down on all the guys. Meanwhile, Yukine was seriously staring down at the schoolboy; Yukine's attitude is degrading more and more. Scenes between funny and serious moments are shifting quite seamlessly. Manabu's situation juxtaposes Yukine's current mental state as well; Yato said they were much alike.

Yato gives Manabu (whose name incidentally means learn in Japanese) a box-cutter to deal with the bullies, but warns that the kid will lose his humanity if he kills someone. While that's not exactly what I'd encourage to do, Yato was clearly too exhausted to just defeat the Phantom. Quite a risky move, nonetheless.

Manabu chose to retain his humanity after all, while Yukine spends the episode trying to reattain humanity. How much mischief, theft, and disdain for Yato is too much before Yukine crosses the line? Well, the moment where he started smashing all of the windows sure was the trigger point. Yukine can't cross back to being a regular kid. What Yuki does is up to his own, as Yato appears very willing to hone Yuki. The ramifications of Yuki's actions aren't microscopic, with blight on the horizon. Yato provided the spark, just the right location (a middle school), for Yukine to detonate and learn his lesson. Incoming character development next episode~

Kofuku was great in threatening Bishamon, who crossed the line when bringing up Yato. Kofuku even changed the tone in her voice~

It was quite intense when Daikoku used a borderline against Hiyori and Yato, though to be fair, they were blighted and its contagious.

I also think Yato doesn't want to give up on Yukine because if Yato exiled him, he may end up a Stray like Nora. I believe Yato's the reason why she's a Stray, and to see it happen again must be hard. Also, as Nora isn't her given name, as nora simply means stray in Japanese, I like how the anime did slip in her name last episode. Thank you fandom for translating more of the manga! The new character said Yato is unworthy of his "scarlet-colored reputation" hint hint manga revealed it is Scarlet.

Last edited by Lilith; February 23rd, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elheroeoscuro View Post
baseball bat and smashed all the windows? Now people can't see him, but can they see the baseball bat that he is using? All I can picture is them looking out the windows to see a levitating baseball bat just smashing into everything in site.
Pretty much what Blade said =) The phenomenon of not perceiving those guys is the "ability" to ignore everything that is connected to their physical structure. In fact by this logic, people would actually see clothes walking around =D So they "disappear" with everything they have.
I would presume it was the same for the skate Yukine stole. (Otherwise the tenchou would immediately go after the thief)

Old February 24th, 2014, 01:40 PM
derozio
My ghost is whispering to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Started watching this. Will catch upto latest tomorrow. Finished 2 eps today. Watching with my younger sister. :3 Art style and animation are to my liking and the concept is intriguing!
Old February 24th, 2014, 01:52 PM
El Héroe Oscuro
The Mad Blogger. ♞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoshi Ookami View Post

Pretty much what Blade said =) The phenomenon of not perceiving those guys is the "ability" to ignore everything that is connected to their physical structure. In fact by this logic, people would actually see clothes walking around =D So they "disappear" with everything they have.
I would presume it was the same for the skate Yukine stole. (Otherwise the tenchou would immediately go after the thief)
Still, that would be an absolutely hilarious animation if someone made that xD Just inanimate objects going wilddddd haha.
Old February 25th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Still, that would be an absolutely hilarious animation if someone made that xD Just inanimate objects going wilddddd haha.
Someone would have to make manga out of it so SHAFT could adapt it xD

Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:54 AM
El Héroe Oscuro
The Mad Blogger. ♞

So the new episode (i.e. Episode 9) is out, what did y'all think of it?

Spoiler:
I'm glad that Yukine apologized and the blight was reversed, but I feel like the change of heart was so sudden. I thought the explanation by Hiyori was too short and that the argument fell short of what it could have been.

Nonetheless good episode, I'm curious as to how the plot will unfold in next week's episode.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:36 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Quote:
So the new episode (i.e. Episode 9) is out, what did y'all think of it?

Spoiler:
I'm glad that Yukine apologized and the blight was reversed, but I feel like the change of heart was so sudden. I thought the explanation by Hiyori was too short and that the argument fell short of what it could have been.

Nonetheless good episode, I'm curious as to how the plot will unfold in next week's episode.
Episode 9 was the episode I waited all month for, hooray!

Spoiler:
Great episode overall, and I was so impressed with Yuki's and Hiyori's voice actors. The supporting cast get major points as well. Kofuku was visibly concerned and stressed. Daikoku quickly redeemed himself by letting Hiyori through his borderline, and then going around many shrines when looking for the third Regalia. Mayu also redeemed herself in volunteering and showing concern for her old master. Kazuma was alright for me as he continued being the mysterious man he is.

The ending where Hiyori hugs both of them was super adorable. Awahhh Yato's blusing ♥♥♥♥.

elheroeoscuro, when Hiyori mentions that Yato's words were like a father's, Yukine metaphorically stops walking towards crossing over the line. Yuki flinches at her words. It's implied, and I wish Bones would directly state it like the manga had, that Yukine had issues with his father. A few posts back I offered my thoughts on the very brief glimpse we get into Yukine's life. Though Yukine doesn't remember details of his past life, it's likely why he was misbehaving in the first place. Last episode, Yukine also struggled in accepting the fact that he is dead and can't regain his humanity. So, Hiyori's words and friendship, and Yato's request for him to live as a person were sound enough to hit home with the misunderstood 14 year old.

The after-credits scene was so creepily fun with Nora singing and Rabo appearing. It's likely anime-original from this point on, hmm! WHEN IS IT SUNDAY

Old March 9th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Dragon
INTERSTELLAR

Nature: Modest
Episode 10 is out! And gosh it was a doosy:

Spoiler:

I'm really happy that Yuki is getting better now! ♥ Plus I'm also suprised at how well Yato can draw, like wow. @_@

Still though, today's cliffhanger: "Who are you...?" is going to haunt me until next week's episode. >___> So Nora made her forget who Yato is or something? Ugh, that's terrible; I hope nothing bad comes out of it. ;;

Adventure is 49% more awesome than I am // moderator of VG and TWL
Old March 9th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Episode 10, I can't cope with cliffhangers.

Spoiler:
It's splitting off from the manga and is going for an anime original ending. BONES!!!

I'm really happy Yukine is better now since the purification ritual. He's truly powerful when in good form, and Yato recognized that...

Hiyori and Yato cry like they are so proud of Yuki, haha, those three are almost like a family. I loved when Kofuku asked for a million yen, Hiyori wrestled, and Daikoku wondered which fighting group Hiyori was a part of, lmao.

The series had lots of goofy moments too, and Yato's drawing talent is actually a shout out to the latest manga, chapter 40. Though in that chapter, Yato revealed using his drawing talent in making Rated 18+ comics of Bishamon for Kazuma's $$ during the past several decades, lmaooooo.. Ugh. The anime will not get to why Kazuma actually is in debt to Yato, why Bishamon hates Yato, what Nora's role in everything is, and the main antagonist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
Still though, today's cliffhanger: "Who are you...?" is going to haunt me until next week's episode. >___> So Nora made her forget who Yato is or something? Ugh, that's terrible; I hope nothing bad comes out of it. ;;
While Nora did attack Hiyori using the phantom dogs in the manga, Hiyori did not ever lose her memory, so I was pretty shocked at that! Either Rabo severed the ties causing the memory loss, or Hiyori is faking it to protect Yato, or her memory was simply taken. The preview has Nora holding onto some small marble-like ball, which may be Hiyori's memories. I don't think Rabo had enough time to, after watching Yato fight, rush over to Hiyori and equip Nora to slash the ties. :/ Can Nora do something special, or is Hiyori faking the amnesia?

Old March 14th, 2014, 07:46 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

Think it was Nora. Still a lot of things we do not know about what regalias are capale of.

But then she could be faking it too. Not sure aaahhh.

It was a good episode. I found it slightly boring in the beginning but it picked up when nora and rabo came into the picture. I was gonna stop watching the anime and merely read the mana but I shall watch the next two now. Wanna see how bones wraps it off.
Old March 15th, 2014, 02:18 AM
Netto Azure
<<Diving Mastah>>

"I Have Seen Cities Destroyed In Half An Episode I Have Seen Entire Races Been Wiped Out In 4 Seconds But It Took An Entire freaking 9 Episodes To Straighten Out One Freaking Kid" - Episode 9

It kinda pissed me off. It reminded me so much of the dilemma with Grave of the Fireflies. I feel like ugh so pissed off because why not try to make the best of your situation? Why resort to such tantrum throwing methods? I guess its just me looking down upon my privileged spot though

Scuba Diver Kylan wants to battle!
Kingler (Lv. 49) - Hyper Cutter - (Crabhammer, X-Scissor)
Kingdra (Lv. 49) - Swift Swim - (Draco Meteor, Hydro Pump)
November 21, 2014 / Staff Collab 2014

Old March 15th, 2014, 03:24 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

I'll admit, the yukine tantrums annoyed me QUITE a bit too. Started really disliking him and the whole show to a degree due to it. Too bad the anime will end before the guy fully redeems himself and actually shows how much his attitude towards yato changed. It was really enjoyable in the manga and I stared liking the series a lot more as a result.
Old March 15th, 2014, 04:37 AM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
I always felt that Yukine was just acting like a spoilt brat.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old March 15th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki-kun. View Post
I always felt that Yukine was just acting like a spoilt brat.
Well, that's how he was written =D
If he was always obedient, it wouldn't be that good =D

Old March 15th, 2014, 07:04 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

No, it isn't that having character flaws is bad. But I felt the annoying version of him lasted too long, that is all. It was fine at first but after the third episode of him being an ass, I was pretty damn annoyed with him. And Yato and Hiyorin being so damn forgiving after all the ♥♥♥♥ that happened made him seem like a bigger butt-hole. Sure, the manga does a pretty good job of showcasing the VAST level of difference in annoying yukine and loyal one but the anime won't be covering a large part of it.
Old March 15th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Netto Azure
<<Diving Mastah>>

Yeah I read the manga, so that kinda redeemed him to an extent. But still it did take way too long for the character development to happen. Still finding out what Yato has been doing all this time behind everyones back in order to keep on living made him a lot more sinister. xP

Old March 15th, 2014, 12:53 PM
derozio
Community Supporter

Made who sinister, Yato, is it? I guess yeahh. I need to read more since I'm not up to date but Yato isn't the snow white angel (his thing with bisha doesn't count tho) I thought he was. :p
Old March 15th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Netto Azure
<<Diving Mastah>>

I thought that Nora girl was just someone to spice up the series, then bam that reveal.

Old March 15th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
I thought that Nora girl was just someone to spice up the series, then bam that reveal.
Oh gosh. Should I prepare for what is to come? //hasn't read manga yet//

I'm planning on reading it after the anime ends! I wonder how they're different especially since that Rabo guy is anime-only right?
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure
"I Have Seen Cities Destroyed In Half An Episode I Have Seen Entire Races Been Wiped Out In 4 Seconds But It Took An Entire freaking 9 Episodes To Straighten Out One Freaking Kid" - Episode 9
Haha! Though to be fair, Yukine started getting corrupted near the beginning of episode 5, as Nora triggered his insecurities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
Made who sinister, Yato, is it? I guess yeahh. I need to read more since I'm not up to date but Yato isn't the snow white angel (his thing with bisha doesn't count tho) I thought he was. :p
Dudeee! It gets darker. Goofball with a dark past, like Gintama, yes? :')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altairis View Post
Oh gosh. Should I prepare for what is to come? //hasn't read manga yet//

I'm planning on reading it after the anime ends! I wonder how they're different especially since that Rabo guy is anime-only right?
You definitely should read the manga after the anime ends, or you can start today, since Rabo's story is indeed anime-only. The manga's author designed Rabo, who is said to be a god of calamity, but I feel the original Noragami story is heaps better.

The anime has been quite faithful to the manga, where the first episode was sped up (i.e. episode 1 cut out where in the manga, Yato met the bullied school girl who gave him the 5 Yen. His slaying of the Phantom didn't fix the girl's problem and he didn't really care, and Tomone quit because Yato can be cruel, not just because he's homeless, as the anime portrayed). The episode with the man falling off the building is actually an extras/specials chapter; it was likely animated to develop Kofuku's character as a goddess of poverty. They also sped up Nora's appearance.

Chapter 12 = Episode 10 then.

Such a sad day when it only had 12 episodes to work with. Noragami anime’s supervisor reveals why the anime didn’t include the Bishanmon arc, chapters 13-24:
"He says Noragami is a work he really likes, and for Bishanmon’s arc it would be at least more than 10 episodes, and if they skimmed over the details in Yukine’s arc the later stories will be hard to understand, so they decided to not do the Bishanmon arc for now and use the anime original ending, which was improvised by the mangakas as well."

Old March 15th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Netto Azure
<<Diving Mastah>>

Yeah this is another series that is based upon long ass dialogue character development that doesn't translate well for short cour anime adaptations.

Manga is pretty good so far. Heck there hasn't been an antagonist thats ~evil~ until recently.

Old March 15th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoshi Ookami View Post
Well, that's how he was written =D
If he was always obedient, it wouldn't be that good =D
I felt that they could use it as a mini arc instead of portraying it throughout into most of a 12 episode series.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old March 15th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
The anime has been quite faithful to the manga, where the first episode was sped up (i.e. episode 1 cut out where in the manga, Yato met the bullied school girl who gave him the 5 Yen. His slaying of the Phantom didn't fix the girl's problem and he didn't really care, and Tomone quit because Yato can be cruel, not just because he's homeless, as the anime portrayed). The episode with the man falling off the building is actually an extras/specials chapter; it was likely animated to develop Kofuku's character as a goddess of poverty. They also sped up Nora's appearance.
Is the only major difference the one from chapter 1? Can I just read that and then skip to a later chapter or is it worth reading the manga even if I've already watched the anime? :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki-kun. View Post
I felt that they could use it as a mini arc instead of portraying it throughout into most of a 12 episode series.
As much as I hated Yukine, I think it was fine to leave his arc as part of the main storyline because it caused character development in the entire trio and not just Yukine.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links