The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 12th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Jesus one typo and the sarcasm comes out! :p
Sacred cards is not what I was talking abour though I saw this video about truck physjicd in a game with some weird commentary.
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Klippy
feelin' good on a wednesday

There was a Yu-Gi-Oh GBA game where it was basically an RPG and at the end, you could go to a battle island and battle any of the main cast. That game was awesome.
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Xebelleon
Soon, Swablu. Soon. ;)

Nature: Quirky
Last Yu-Gi-Oh I was crazy for was on Gamecube. Friend had it. Played like Pokemon Conquest or some beast of a JRPG.
@facebook: several farm games, "match 3+" puzzle games, Miscrits (Miscrits is a Pokemon-like game)
@x360: various Borderlands, some Halo, Crackdown, Battlefield bad Company 2, etc...
@wii u: not really playing it at moment
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:26 PM
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xebelleon View Post
Last Yu-Gi-Oh I was crazy for was on Gamecube. Friend had it. Played like Pokemon Conquest or some beast of a JRPG.
Ah, Falsebound Kingdom. You know, that game got some pretty bad reviews but I went back and played it...that game is far from bad. In fact, if someone told me that they were going to make a Yu-Gi-Oh RTSRPG, I'd think they were on something. But they did it and...it worked.

Ugh, this thread is getting too nostalgic <_<
Old July 14th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Mega Venusaur
Muncher

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Ugh, this thread is getting too nostalgic <_<
How can you complain about nostalgia? I was looking at some extremely old video games I used to play when I was much younger, as well as some Pokémon movies, and the nostalgia drove me crazy - in a good way, if there is such a thing as a 'good' crazy ...

Last edited by Mega Venusaur; July 14th, 2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Grammatical error fixed.
Old July 14th, 2014, 11:06 AM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Venusaur View Post
How can you complain about nostalgia? I was looking at some extremely old video games I used to play when I was much younger, as well as some Pokémon movies, and the nostalgia drove me crazy - in a good way, if there is such a thing as a 'good' crazy ...
I never said it was a bad thing, though it is slightly overwhelming.
Old July 14th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Mega Venusaur
Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
I never said it was a bad thing, though it is slightly overwhelming.
I think I worded what I said in a confusing manner, haha. I did mean that nostalgia, in my eyes, can never have 'too much' of it. I don't know if that makes more sense, but that's what I meant!
Old July 14th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Klippy
feelin' good on a wednesday

Sometimes nostalgia can be overwhelming. I often pull out old gaming systems to try and play some of my classics, but I usually get overwhelmed with the options or even from too many memories and it makes me want to put the system back away. :P
Old July 14th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Mega Venusaur
Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippy View Post
Sometimes nostalgia can be overwhelming. I often pull out old gaming systems to try and play some of my classics, but I usually get overwhelmed with the options or even from too many memories and it makes me want to put the system back away.
That is also a valid point. Some games which cause nostalgia for me have already been played thoroughly several times, giving me no reason to play them other than going crazy about the graphics or retro features for a few minutes.
Old July 14th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Discord.
*insert something random here*

Send a message via Skype™ to Discord.
The only games that really caused nostalgia for me were Gunstar Heroes and Haunting Starring Polterguy, both for Sega Genesis. Though i was literally looking all over the internet for their names because i wanted to play them again at that point(i had no friend to play them with though).

My personal webpage under construction.
Paired with Polar Spectrum
Essentials forme change with moves script

I support Digimon Your Digital Dream

I support Pokemon The Movie Game

Old July 14th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Zekrom
The Divine Dragon

Nostalgia isn't a bad thing, up to a certain point. Then you get to the point where your nostalgia blinds you to the good in other games (hardcore Genwunners, for example).

Also, side question: Besides the upcoming Smash Bros 4, Mario Kart 8, and DK Tropical Freeze, what other good games are there for the WiiU? I don't remember.....
Old July 14th, 2014, 01:41 PM
ShadowE
Legendary loot hunter
Community Supporter

I haven't had any nostalgia trips since I rediscovered Rise of Nations, because most of the older games I still play and always have played :P
Old July 14th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Orpheus
Fml

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekrom View Post
Nostalgia isn't a bad thing, up to a certain point. Then you get to the point where your nostalgia blinds you to the good in other games (hardcore Genwunners, for example).

Also, side question: Besides the upcoming Smash Bros 4, Mario Kart 8, and DK Tropical Freeze, what other good games are there for the WiiU? I don't remember.....
Since it hasn't been released how do you know it's good?

Pair

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old July 14th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Zekrom
The Divine Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Since Iy hasn't been released how do you know it's good?
I just assume it'll be good. I just wanna know what else is good on the WiiU because I kinda wanna buy one.
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

I've Rayman Legends, and it's quite fan. It's available universally, though, I believe, and not just Wii U. Aside from that, another one I'd recommend playing is Super Mario 3D World; extremely addictive, if you ask me!
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:57 PM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:

I think there's a difference between feeling nostalgia and wearing your goggles. For instance, I enjoy Gen 1 and 2 of Pokemon quite a bit. I actually prefer them to the remakes and still consider them among my favorites. Part of this is because I've spent so much time with FRLG as a hacker, but there are other reasons that, as a gamer, I just plain enjoy the originals, no goggles needed (Music composition and instruments play a large part in that, among various other things). There are some that wear their goggles and relish in nostalgia to the point that what they're looking at becomes the peak, but I think someone that's truly self aware can completely avoid this. Of course, nostalgia goggles aren't always bad. If there's a game that hasn't aged well or if you're like me and you like to play a game in the mindset of its time, I don't think it's bad at all. After all, why deny yourself enjoyment of an otherwise fun experience?

As for the Wii U, Pikmin is great. It's a fun and incredibly polished experience that I can't help but recommend.

Upcoming is Hyrule Warriors, but I really have my eyes set on X. That game looks beautiful every single way, really doing its best to one-up Xenoblade.
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Spinosaurus

Quote:
Echoing Pikmin 3. Super Mario 3D World is another really good one. New Super Mario Bros U + Luigi as well. If you have friends, then Nintendo Land is a blast.

Wonderful 101 can be amazing IF you put the time into it, but I won't recommend this unless you're really interested in it. Lego City Undercover is another good one if you're itching for an open world game. If you never played Wind Waker, I guess you could go with the HD game. Wouldn't personally recommend WW at all in honesty, but eh. It's acquired taste.
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

I started putting away a bit of each paycheck for a Wii U but it was because I got all excited watching E3 and now none of the games are out and I am sad.
PM
Old July 15th, 2014, 04:02 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Zombi U
Darksiders 2
NFS:MW
NG3(Yes I'm serious, if you don't agree that's fine.

And god knows what else. I'm split between saving up for a Wii U or a phone, and I'm torn. Might get both, but god knows my paycheck doesn't agree. Anyway, ASMR goodness ahoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1y8bq_2X2g
I can listen to this all day long and not got tired.
Old July 15th, 2014, 04:50 AM
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
I've heard good things about Rayman Legends as well, but am yet to try it out. Child of Light also got good reviews, but that's on other platforms. Otherwise it's the usual Mario (Land and Kart in particular), DK and LoZWW being worthy picks imo. Nintendo land is also fun but it does require someone else to play with for it to really shine in the first place.

Pikmin games imo are always worth playing in particular though.
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old July 15th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
I started putting away a bit of each paycheck for a Wii U but it was because I got all excited watching E3 and now none of the games are out and I am sad.
Not sure if you are doing a right thing... Imo Wii U isn't a console worth purchase...
Plus apparently it won't support Unreal Engine 4 so you might miss some new games.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old July 15th, 2014, 05:41 AM
isthatyoudan
doesn't work well with others...

Oh, Rayman Legends was mentioned earlier. It is an incredible game. I've played the PSVita version though. It's great though. The gameplay is fun, the graphics are beautiful, the style is quirky. Also, if you don't have origins either, there's a chunk where you can play some of its levels.

For wii u, nobody's mentioned Game and Wario yet! The new concept isn't as good as the fast microgames, and it can be really hard at times (I'm looking at you, large-toothed arrow boss), but it's still really fun to play. My favourite part of the game is getting friends to play the fruit-stealing level.

I'm Reading...
Just finished a volume of Soul Eater, volume 14. At this point, it has become very different compared to the anime, and I kind of like it. Some of the characters have gotten a lot more fleshed out (specifically the meister team of Ox, Kilik, and Kim), and things are happening quite differently. An exciting read.

I'm Playing...
The iPod music game, Cytus. While I may not know very many of the songs, I really like its music, and the gameplay is easy to pick up yet takes quite a while to master. A friend has seen me play it and he says I make it look easy, but I am still having a fun and challenging time. Definitely worth the price.
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:36 AM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoshi Ookami View Post
Not sure if you are doing a right thing... Imo Wii U isn't a console worth purchase...
Plus apparently it won't support Unreal Engine 4 so you might miss some new games.
I'd say the exact same thing about the Xbone and the PS4 at the moment. After all, even with lower specs, Nintendo's always going to have the most exclusives, so they'd be missing out regardless of system choice.

And considering the currently announced upcoming games, if someone were deciding between PS3 and 360 vs Xbone and PS4, I'd definitely have to recommend to the former.
Old July 15th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Shhwonk

Has anyone here played Shovel Knight yet? I've seen half of a Game Grumps Let's Play of it, and it looked so good I had to turn it off so I wouldn't spoil the game! Seems like the devs mixed all of the best gameplay mechanics of classic platformers into something perfect.

I just wish there was a physical release of it.
Old July 15th, 2014, 08:35 AM
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shhwonk View Post
Has anyone here played Shovel Knight yet? I've seen half of a Game Grumps Let's Play of it, and it looked so good I had to turn it off so I wouldn't spoil the game! Seems like the devs mixed all of the best gameplay mechanics of classic platformers into something perfect.

I just wish there was a physical release of it.
Yeah, I've only heard good things about it.

But I don't see it getting a physical release, nor do I think it should. It's indie, so it doesn't have a publisher. If they did have a publisher, the team's revenue would be cut drastically, and if they made physical releases, where they can be sold used, stolen, or put on sales, and considering that the game's only $15 and has a large following but not the biggest mainstream following, the team itself would get very little.

Sponsored Links