The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 5th, 2014 (10:36 AM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
What do those terms even mean at this point? Is next-gen in this context the system after the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U?

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old August 5th, 2014 (10:41 AM).
machomuu
Master Spark is Comin' to Town
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
What do those terms even mean at this point? Is next-gen in this context the system after the PS4/Xbox One/Wii U?
Well current-gen, now, would refer to PS4/Xbone/Wii U, with next-gen being generation 9, their successors. But I think he meant last-gen and current-gen.
Old August 5th, 2014 (02:23 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
A remake of the very first Resident Evil game on current and next-gen consoles. The game will be released "early 2015" on PS4, XB1, XB360, PS3 and PC.
Well, a remaster of the remake from the GCN. Not the original

More North American Assassin's Creed. And snow. Not interested
Old August 6th, 2014 (05:23 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Well current-gen, now, would refer to PS4/Xbone/Wii U, with next-gen being generation 9, their successors. But I think he meant last-gen and current-gen.
Well... by time yea, but using "next-gen" to refer to PS4/XBone/Wii U will stick stuck for a while imo =D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old August 6th, 2014 (08:46 AM).
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoshi Ookami View Post
Well... by time yea, but using "next-gen" to refer to PS4/XBone/Wii U will stick stuck for a while imo =D
Maybe. It's really a matter of using a term correctly and using a term the way you want to, which really applies to pretty much any term or word, I suppose.

That said, Gen 8 started 2 years ago, so I would hope it wouldn't be a popular term for the systems, especially since the three are all available for purchase now.
Old August 6th, 2014 (01:04 PM).
Klippy
this is not a game

Next-gen will continue to be used as terms for the Xbox One/PS4/Wii U until the "next" next-gen is beginning to be announced/hinted at. Current-gen is still Xbox 360/PS3/Wii because many more people still own those consoles than the new ones. Perhaps with more people adopting the newer generation, the less next-gen will be used to describe them.

Current-gen Xbox 360/PS3/Wii had the benefit of being one of the biggest waves in gaming history. Once most gamers have converted to the newer systems, we will be talking about the "next-gen" after the Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U.

Find what you love and let it kill you
Old August 7th, 2014 (05:15 AM).
Dragon
ロイヤル ファミリー

Nature: Modest
Speaking of which, what do you guys generally think of this current gen?

The Xbox One/PS4/Wii U Gen, I mean. Like, take the Wii U; I've heard complaints that it's not going in the right direction because it's been focusing on 3rd party games, but, I dunno, is that really a bad thing? Doesn't it expand a player's 'world', per-se, and encourages them to try something new?

Like the new game, Splatoon. Most People I've met don't enjoy shooters, so they were quick to knock off this game, but, honestly, it looks kind of solid, and fun, imo! I'd definitely will try it when the time comes!

Uhm, but back on point, there's also the issue of connectivity with other players.. one complaint I've heard is that this gen isn't solely focused on 'interacting' with other people, more so than just playing alone, but, I think that's something that the developers are gearing towards in the future anyway?
Old August 7th, 2014 (05:23 AM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Splatoon is a shooter for people that don't like shooters. A lot of people aren't nuanced enough in their game likes to know that they just don't like games where you shoot, and instead dislike shooters as a genre - gritty, different weapons, realistic, all about death. This isn't any of those things.

People complaining about too much solo time crack me up because people were complaining about too much online before. People just want developers to spend thousands of hours making engrossing single-player games and then thousands more hours making engrossing multiplayer and what do you mean the game costs twice as much???

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old August 7th, 2014 (06:30 AM). Edited August 7th, 2014 by machomuu.
machomuu
Community Supporter

In terms of consoles, it's okay so far, but it's moving at a snail's pace. I mean, there are a lot of games coming out this year that I want, but the only current gen games I want aren't even on consoles. Most of them are on Handhelds and, if not there, they're on Gen 7 (strangely) or PC. Literally, every single one.

Well, the Wii U, which is very slowly building its library, does actually have me in terms of the consoles only because it's the only one so far that has non-PC games that I want (because games that are on PC- and more, games that are on Steam- give me little to no incentive to get them on consoles, despite having an Xbone). For that, there are actually games that I want that are exclusive to it: X, the Bayonetta games, and Smash Bros. Pretty much why I got the Wii U, it's bound to have games no other platform will.

Once this generation really gets going, which I'll leave to 2015, I imagine there will be larger libraries. And by that point we'll be able to point out the game with the lowest number of exclusives and lack of Eastern support, both of which were the 360 last gen. That's not really relevant to anything, but if such a console exists where that is so obviously apparent at a glance, like the 360 was, that'll be disappointing (since, in pre-gen 7 generations, neither were so obvious; in Gen 6, technically that describes the Xbox, but it was the new kid on the block, so it was expected).

As for connectivity...is that really an issue to people? Three of this year's biggest games are Smash Bros, Titanfall, and Destiny. And then there's Splatoon.
Old August 7th, 2014 (02:43 PM).
Spinosaurus

Dunno if I'd call Titanfall big anymore.
Old August 7th, 2014 (02:59 PM).
Sonata
All my vices are devices
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I didn't enjoy Titanfall, especially since it was extremely laggy and I couldn't play it without being online.
Old August 7th, 2014 (03:01 PM).
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Dunno if I'd call Titanfall big anymore.
Nah, but it certainly was one of the biggest hits of the year, even if only for a few months.
Old August 7th, 2014 (03:18 PM).
Nathan
prince
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
Watch Dogs was pretty big too imo. At least, that's what the sales say. 4 millions of copies in a week is kinda impressive.
Old August 7th, 2014 (03:49 PM).
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
Watch Dogs was pretty big too imo. At least, that's what the sales say. 4 millions of copies in a week is kinda impressive.
I'm just saying that those three are among them.

My point in all this is that connectivity really shouldn't be much of an issue. Heck, even Watch_Dogs puts an emphasis on multiplayer.
Old August 7th, 2014 (05:16 PM).
Nathan
prince
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
People really complain about connectivity?
Old August 7th, 2014 (06:25 PM).
Spinosaurus

I'm just a stranger, but happy birthday Morkula.
Quote:
People really complain about connectivity?
That's not as bad as some of the other stuff I see. I've always been a single player/local multiplayer guy so it never bothered me. Really, you'll see complaints about anything.

I especially see "trial and error" used as a complaint for games like Dark Souls and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze which can get funny. Reminds me of this comic
Spoiler:

And of course, I even saw a complaint about 60fps.
Old August 7th, 2014 (08:28 PM).
Klippy
this is not a game

I miss the days when games were purposely hard. The original Donkey Kong Country games were very difficult at times and despite getting frustrated at dying often, those times when you finally beat a hard level were truly great. I don't really get that often with games anymore and that's unfortunate.

I do see the value in games being easier for the sake of immersion of story though. Plenty of games are easy, but the story is so fantastic that you don't mind rushing through some portions to simply get to that next key scene.

Find what you love and let it kill you
Old August 7th, 2014 (08:37 PM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Artificial difficulty is way harder to detect than people make it out to be - just like the comic, one person's artificial difficulty is another person's logical outcome. If I've played a lot of games like that, I would know to look out for traps. But if I hadn't, it would seem like there was no way to know that it was coming and thus like trial-and-error gameplay. I play a lot of things in a trial-and-error way not because they're artificially difficult, but because I'm just not versed enough in the franchise or genre to know what to look for.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old August 8th, 2014 (05:27 AM).
White Glint
Anatolia's Ace

Nature: Bashful
Quote:
I'm just a stranger, but happy birthday Morkula.

That's not as bad as some of the other stuff I see. I've always been a single player/local multiplayer guy so it never bothered me. Really, you'll see complaints about anything.

I especially see "trial and error" used as a complaint for games like Dark Souls and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze which can get funny. Reminds me of this comic
Spoiler:

You know, you would think with the pedigree DkS has established, people would be less YOLO...how do these guys even get into the series like this? :v

"You are trespassing on Line Ark territory. Pull back immediately...or we will respond with lethal force."
Got a Facebook? Come say hi!
Twitter is also welcome. Note: Probably more vulgar, NFSW, and Fighting Game related!

Old August 8th, 2014 (07:01 AM).
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
No, see, that's what we should be talking about. The 60 FPS complaint of today is the "high-end graphics, 1080p" argument of yesterday. Seriously, I can't tell you how many people I've seen question 60 FPS game as if it were the only factor that decided whether one would purchase something or not. It's basically the argument for the "graphics wh---" of Eigth Gen.

And I'm all for smooth gameplay. Really, I am. Since the PS4 and Xbone were announced, it seems like arguments have shifted from smooth graphics to smooth gameplay (in terms of FPS, actually worrying about the gameplay would be silly), which is something considering, prior to Generation 8, no one seemed to care about FPS. Not the average gamer, at least. Now there's the compulsive need to have 60 FPS.
Old August 8th, 2014 (08:02 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I just get on with it and play games that I like, so long as they run acceptably. Not that much effort is required with a GTX-level card, mind you.
Old August 8th, 2014 (02:56 PM). Edited August 8th, 2014 by machomuu.
machomuu
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
I just get on with it and play games that I like, so long as they run acceptably. Not that much effort is required with a GTX-level card, mind you.
Well I'm more referring to Console Gaming and the whole "30 FPS vs 60 FPS" debacle. 60 FPS is one of the features that the 8th gen consoles boasted prior to release, so naturally people took up arms and started using it against fans of rival consoles.

Also, on an unrelated note, Sierra Games, notable for their Space Quest and Kings Quest series, among others, has recently been reborn!

This may be one of those cases where the wish has fallen on a monkey's paw, though. We'll see.
Old August 8th, 2014 (08:38 PM).
White Glint
Anatolia's Ace

Nature: Bashful
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
No, see, that's what we should be talking about. The 60 FPS complaint of today is the "high-end graphics, 1080p" argument of yesterday. Seriously, I can't tell you how many people I've seen question 60 FPS game as if it were the only factor that decided whether one would purchase something or not. It's basically the argument for the "graphics wh---" of Eigth Gen.

And I'm all for smooth gameplay. Really, I am. Since the PS4 and Xbone were announced, it seems like arguments have shifted from smooth graphics to smooth gameplay (in terms of FPS, actually worrying about the gameplay would be silly), which is something considering, prior to Generation 8, no one seemed to care about FPS. Not the average gamer, at least. Now there's the compulsive need to have 60 FPS.
Ehh...I'm on the fence. I mean we're getting to the point where consoles are becoming closer to the specs of computers now. So I can see some of these arguments having merit, especially in the case of some games. I still cringe any time I turn on Gran Turismo 6 on and I get like 30FPS tops. Does it ruin my experience? No. Do I wish it were smoother for the purpose of gaming? Yes. Do I need EVERY game to blast 60? Not really, since I can understand why it isn't possible sometimes. That doesn't mean they can't shoot for it.

But for the most part as long as the game is smooth and not skipping like a broken record and it doesn't look choppy to all hell, I can accept a game not being 60FPS all the time. If the PS4 tried to force FFXIV to run 60 all the damned time, I'm pretty sure I'd be filing a claim for warranty.

"You are trespassing on Line Ark territory. Pull back immediately...or we will respond with lethal force."
Got a Facebook? Come say hi!
Twitter is also welcome. Note: Probably more vulgar, NFSW, and Fighting Game related!

Old August 8th, 2014 (08:47 PM).
Spinosaurus

For the most part, going for 60fps is a design choice more than anything. It doesn't really have to do with hardware power considering that 60fps were more common in the weaker consoles. Granted, framerate is sacrificed for more graphical power, but it's the developer's choice to decide whether 60fps can be beneficial to the game's design, or if it's simply not worth it.

I'm probably not making much sense here but eh.
Old August 9th, 2014 (12:39 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
It's more annoying when some people try to force 60 FPS on everyone, though. You never know on the Internet. Then again, on the Internet, everything is exaggerated.

I'm content with locking games to 30 FPS and cranking everything as high as they can get, seeing as I'm not here to play a pale imitation of a game.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links