The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.


Advertise here

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old February 20th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Flushed's Avatar
Flushed
down the drain.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Flushed

Advertise here
We may be trying to change the way society views things like these, but that begs the question, should we try and make the most of the situation we're in and capitalize on the media attention and visibility or solely try to shift gears? I think a lot of people looking for that support now miss out if we instigate change.

Idk, just my view. It's been kinda hard to keep up with all the posts here as they all address similar points with valid arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stell View Post
i mean, it's kind of presumptuous to put a generalising answer here regarding coming out. you are never under any obligation to come out, and if coming out will endanger your safety (and I say this as someone who came out to her parents and got kicked out) then why do it? why risk shelter and financial stability instead of doing what you can to survive? i just really don't think it's anyone's place to prescribe or judge someone's choice in disclosure due to their own personal circumstances and their own conception of the risks involved.

celebrity-wise, yeah, apathy is a good way of being a hip ally, but visibility is key to proving the omnipresence of diverse genders and sexualities.
Staying in the closet presents its own risks. Opposite of maybe physical and financial stability you have the question of mental stability. There may be no objective solution that will work every time for the plethora of different situations and circumstances, but I think having people weigh in on something like this can be insightful, and based on their own experiences/arguments, can possibly influence how others proceed (or don't proceed). And perhaps in an environment where we're not looking to give advice, insight on how society and the individual functions becomes apparent.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27    
Old February 20th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Squirrel's Avatar
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: England
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by stell View Post
i mean, it's kind of presumptuous to put a generalising answer here regarding coming out. you are never under any obligation to come out, and if coming out will endanger your safety (and I say this as someone who came out to her parents and got kicked out) then why do it? why risk shelter and financial stability instead of doing what you can to survive? i just really don't think it's anyone's place to prescribe or judge someone's choice in disclosure due to their own personal circumstances and their own conception of the risks involved.
Couldn't agree more. Personally I was lucky enough to have a very accepting family so I had no problems with coming out myself, but my boyfriend is in a similar situation to that which you described. Coming out for him would almost certainly result in being kicked out or worse, and no amount of 'mental stability' is worth having to find a new home and way of living for when you're at such a vulnerable time of your life. Coming out should never be forced and it shouldn't be something that people expect you to do/judge you for not doing - it's none of their business, basically.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28    
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:39 PM
stell's Avatar
stell
a proiectura
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: toronto
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushed View Post
Staying in the closet presents its own risks. Opposite of maybe physical and financial stability you have the question of mental stability. There may be no objective solution that will work every time for the plethora of different situations and circumstances, but I think having people weigh in on something like this can be insightful, and based on their own experiences/arguments, can possibly influence how others proceed (or don't proceed). And perhaps in an environment where we're not looking to give advice, insight on how society and the individual functions becomes apparent.
ok, forgive the brevity, but what do you mean by mental stability? the supposed "guilt of nondisclosure"?

and i mean, yes, it differs. you can certainly hide homosexuality or bisexuality if you really need to; those of us who are transgender can either fall into dysphoria and depression or, well, come out, and trying to make a new life for yourself on top of trying to get a hold on hormones through some miracle, trying to keep a job if you disclose, and dealing with the weird realities of a body under metamorphosis and trying to reconfigure what you see in the mirror as changes occur...if I didn't have my girlfriend, I wouldn't be here. it's way more complicated and varying than anyone can even consider. we aren't pawns in the war of invisibility; we are oppressed minorities who could very well die on the streets if we aren't careful. and knowing that, the only reaction I can think necessary is the stonefaced acceptance of difficulties inconceivable.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29    
Old February 20th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Flushed's Avatar
Flushed
down the drain.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Flushed
Quote:
Originally Posted by stell View Post
ok, forgive the brevity, but what do you mean by mental stability? the supposed "guilt of nondisclosure"?

and i mean, yes, it differs. you can certainly hide homosexuality or bisexuality if you really need to; those of us who are transgender can either fall into dysphoria and depression or, well, come out, and trying to make a new life for yourself on top of trying to get a hold on hormones through some miracle, trying to keep a job if you disclose, and dealing with the weird realities of a body under metamorphosis and trying to reconfigure what you see in the mirror as changes occur...if I didn't have my girlfriend, I wouldn't be here. it's way more complicated and varying than anyone can even consider. we aren't pawns in the war of invisibility; we are oppressed minorities who could very well die on the streets if we aren't careful. and knowing that, the only reaction I can think necessary is the stonefaced acceptance of difficulties inconceivable.
Guilt could be a factor. Perhaps you're limited as to your expression of your true self while in the closet, especially in the instances listed, being under the roof of your parents. Depression, etc. can develop as you mentioned. I don't exactly have a concrete response, but I do know that these mental ailments do occur and I think it's worth weighing the pros and cons of coming out based on your personal situation, no matter how dire. I never meant to suggest a catch-all solution, but maybe just discuss the possibilities present for those in such a situation and how different outcomes will result from different approaches.

Not sure if this really answers your post or not, I'm kinda finding it hard to say what I'm thinking at the moment.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30    
Old February 21st, 2014, 05:15 AM
Katholic Nun's Avatar
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
I just had a twisted little thought on this topic and thought I'd share it with you fine people. As much as I want what everybody's saying - for coming out not to be a thing and for people to just hold hands and love one another no matter who they love, what God they believe in etc - at the same time one tiny little part of me will be just a touch disappointed when it does.

You see, I kind of like coming out. It's fun. I like watching people freak out for a split second and get slightly uncomfortable and just wait til they leave and then laugh at them. For instance last week at work I decided to do it because I hadn't done it in a while. My work friend Lauren and I were chatting to a customer at the counter. It was Valentines Day and Lauren and I have great chemistry working together so we were bantering back and forth and the customer actually thought we were a couple. So I said "Ha no, I'm gay and she has a boyfriend." He looked startled and didn't quite know what to say and said a stream of things like "why would you tell me that, that's not true is it? I mean, not that there's anything wrong with it..."

Then I walked away from the counter to start putting away the beer delivery and Lauren told me later that the customer then proceeded to ♥♥♥♥♥ to her saying things like "why do gay people feel the need to do tell everybody about it?" and then started taking about how he can't stand the real feminine ones etc etc. And we laughed and laughed and laughed...

So yeah, a bit of light and shade there. His reaction is the most fun I'd had at work in weeks, but it's also not a good thing for society that he did react that way lol.
__________________

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Reply With Quote
  #31    
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:48 PM
Phantom's Avatar
Phantom
Uh, I didn't do it
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
^ lol Andy.


As fun as that part of it can be, it's still a sign that the bigots are out there.

My parents are currently out of state to visit my grandfather, whom I barely know. My mom said she's surprised at the kind of person he is, and that she hadn't seen it before. She said maybe that she didn't notice as much before I came out, but she hadn't realized how homophobic he was. She told me he refused to shake hands with someone because he thought they were gay. She still hasn't told him about me.

I say not my loss, I didn't like the guy before I knew this, knowing this, still don't give three flying fluffs about the guy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32    
Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:13 AM
Gentle Grimer's Avatar
Gentle Grimer
Extremely Huggable
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
By no means should anyone feel obligated to come out. I'm out and proud to everyone I know, family and friends, but not because I shouted it from the rooftops. If anyone, stranger or otherwise was to ask me, I'd happily tell them. However, I feel it's only ever a private thing, because family and strangers often assume someone is straight until they see proof of anything otherwise. Which I think is the issue here.

The long-term goal for society is obviously for any process of coming out to become redundant. I'm certainly not ok with parents simply assuming their child is straight, whether they're an effeminate male/female, or a masculine male/female. Even if there's no stereotypical qualities of homosexuality, it seems wrong to just assume someone is straight.

I might be divulging a little bit, but there's a recent study where you're able to determine someone's sexual orientation along with other things through testing their earwax. I'm not sure if it would work in this way or even at this age, but if in the future parents could test their child's earwax to know if they're gay, of course the process of coming out would be eradicated. It would certainly be nice not to have to bombard unknowing parents by coming out, but this also opens up the issue of disapproving parents possibly abandoning their kids or treating them differently. I know I'm speaking hypothetically here, but to have everyone around you already know you're gay, before you can figure it out yourself doesn't seem exactly kind. Following that, maybe coming out is necessary to mark your own self-acceptance?

I've not really reached my own conclusion on the topic here lol.

Last edited by Gentle Grimer; February 22nd, 2014 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33    
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:31 AM
daigonite's Avatar
daigonite
Ninjas Against Bottomless Pits
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: With the Birds
Age: 21
Nature: Impish
lol why should you be obliged to come out to someone, that's something personal. You should however have the right that you're treated fairly after doing so, since that is a sign of trust if you do come out on someone. In short, don't be that one asshat.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34    
Old February 23rd, 2014, 06:40 PM
zakisrage's Avatar
zakisrage
In the trunk on Highway 10
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
I think it's important to come out, but coming out has its risks. Not everyone is going to accept it, which you'll probably have to get used to. Most of my gay friends have been accepted by their families. I think it's best to only tell people who you're comfortable telling - telling everyone you meet that you're gay is not a good idea.

Being a Muslim, LGBT issues is kind of a touchy subject. In many Muslim families, if they find out that you're gay, then you're dead to them. I've heard of gays and lesbians being honour killed by their families. It's very sad. And yet for some reason pederasty is tolerated. It's really hypocritical.
__________________
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Reply With Quote
  #35    
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:35 PM
Mr. Downstairs's Avatar
Mr. Downstairs
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 22
I just hope one day we'll live in a world where coming out isn't necessary and the only person who cares that you're gay is that girl/guy who's eyeing you from across the room and is going to be disappointed tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #36    
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Jay0173's Avatar
Jay0173
Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay0173
In essence, everyone comes out in life. We come out to our friends and family when we begin seeing someone romantically, we come out when we get new jobs. We come out when we completed a project. Coming out isn't just about revealing one's sexual orientation, it's also about inviting others to share in the joy in our lives, no matter what that might be. We come out every day for one reason or another.
__________________

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Reply With Quote
  #37    
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Jude Mathis's Avatar
Jude Mathis
[ counting stars ]
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kansas, USA
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
^ That is very true, now if only most of society saw it such a simple way. We would be okay, and have no heated discussion taking place here. -w-
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38    
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:27 AM
The Dark Avenger's Avatar
The Dark Avenger
'Sir'batsky
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: TEEAH-XUUUHHS!
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessi_sys View Post
In essence, everyone comes out in life. We come out to our friends and family when we begin seeing someone romantically, we come out when we get new jobs. We come out when we completed a project. Coming out isn't just about revealing one's sexual orientation, it's also about inviting others to share in the joy in our lives, no matter what that might be. We come out every day for one reason or another.
I agree with this definition.

For me, I don't really volunteer information to people if I don't have to, especially in a collegiate/work setting. Though, I may have close friends in those fields which is a different circumstance.

I prefer to have close ties with fewer people, rather than attempting to develop relationships with a multitude of people. And thus, I am open, very open with those few people I trust with, well, most aspects of my life. "Coming out" in the respect that you use it, quite well I'd say, is something intimate and special. Other shallow relationships, I tend not come out about my faith, my past,my worries/thoughts, my love life, ect. They don't need to know; they are not important people in my life, nor am I important to them. This is why I like to "come out" as you have contextualized it, in all respects to some people, and not come out in respect, to a majority of others.

Reminds me a bit of FB. I have very few "friends" that are actually people I talk to on a regular basis. Not a bunch of people that I send the obligatory "happy birthday" to once a year via FB message. Ah, I don't know how people can post pictures of themselves, described their emotions and privates lives, ect. so candidly with people who they are not that close with. Anyway, life's simpler, for me at least, when my social life is controlled, high-quality, and very simple to manage. Relationships of all varieties, can be a huge investment. So sometimes I choose not to come-out entirely. Only with those in my life that I have built trust among.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39    
Old March 11th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Katholic Nun's Avatar
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakisrage View Post
Being a Muslim, LGBT issues is kind of a touchy subject. In many Muslim families, if they find out that you're gay, then you're dead to them. I've heard of gays and lesbians being honour killed by their families. It's very sad. And yet for some reason pederasty is tolerated. It's really hypocritical.
What does "honour killed" mean?
__________________

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Reply With Quote
  #40    
Old March 11th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Alex's Avatar
Alex
Mmm, yeah
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 16
Nature: Naive
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
I think my sexuality is something that need not be flaunted about, but not stowed away either. Here's an example of how I handle it.

The other day (last Thursday, since it was PT), all of us men were changing for PT in the restroom outside the pod. There were a few upper-level cadets (Peterson, Nixon, Minor and I), and a few other first-year guys. As I was taking off my pants Peterson (a platoon leader) looked at me, and asked me if I got a spray-tan. I replied yes, and he said "that's kind of gay." I look at him expectantly and say "but I'm bi!", and he just backed away a step or two. Nixon started cracking up and Minor just looked at me with a goofy look on his Scandinavian face, and Peterson finally commented "Well now I know that." As we left Nixon looked at me with a grin and said "You told him, Rose." So yes, I kind of like doing what Andy did. :P

As far as the situations and implications that come with coming out among other people, I can safely say a lot of people have it worse than me. My father's the kind of guy that'll lie to you and tell you he's totally accepting and then use it as a tool to rationalize his daily bigotry. My mother's totally accepting though, and happens to be bi as well. :3 You can imagine my father doesn't have a clue about either of us, and he doesn't, even after knowing me for 15 years and being married to my mother for a separate 15 years.

I know some people deal with religious bigotry, which is very contradictory in the eyes of anyone with a brain. And in all honesty, I would be in a mental institution right now if I had parents so stupid they can't accept the sexuality of their own kids. Or worse, I'd be booted out whenever I told them.

...Makes me think of that one Voice contestant from years back who was always trying to get his parents acceptance of his homosexuality. If I was on that stage I'd be like "Hey y'all, I just wanna say up yours dad for not having the brains or balls to do something that a housecat could do, which is take the responsibility of accepting your kids god damn sexuality. Peace~"
Reply With Quote
  #41    
Old March 11th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Limerent's Avatar
Limerent
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Nun View Post
What does "honour killed" mean?
Isn't it obvious? You've brought shame upon the family for your disgrace against *insert radical belief here*, so now we slit your throats, suffocate you etc because your behaviour goes against the code of conduct of which we live, so you die, and with you goes our association with your wretchedness. I've heard of men in some extreme cultures like this killing their daughters because they've been raped, the person is "damaged goods" so they send them to whatever your higher place may be to atone for that.

This isn't just a Muslim thing, it's actually wasn't that uncommon, Japanese mass suicides in WW2 because death was more honourable than facing capture. Kinda sucks that you would kill someone else that might not want to die but eh, I can see why you would do it, if you're indoctrinated into those beliefs.

Personally I do have some sense of "honour", that is a code of conduct to live by, but I can't imagine feeling strongly enough about anything to kill myself or others for it. Maybe if I was driving a bus drunk, crashed and killed 30 schoolchildren but miraculously survived? I'd be feeling pretty dishonourable then.

Answered the obvious question, so continue with your discussion on coming out, folks.
__________________
Hi.
Reply With Quote
  #42    
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Luck Hax's Avatar
Luck Hax
Mad, Bad and Dangerous To Know
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: "england would also be acceptible"
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Luck Hax
Whatever I'm into is my business. If I fall for someone and they're right for me, they'll know. If I'm committed to someone, I'm rather private about it. I was irritated that my ex-girlfriend wanted to have the relationship on Facebook but I did oblige. Why should they know though?

I hate the childish culture of the world towards sexuality right now and I don't see myself branding myself with any of the terms that are floating about right now. I believe there's only two people that REALLY need to care about what they like; and that's the two people going out. Or hell, three, four or five or more if there's some other arrangement. I don't really care nor judge what people prefer. Sexuality is a very unimportant aspect in terms of whether someone is a decent person or not, and that's what I care about if I want to know about someone and associate with them. A mature outlook on sexuality is something I look for though. If you're a person who literally broadcasts "HI I'M A SEXUALITY LOOK THIS IS A VITAL THING ABOUT ME MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY SUBSTANCE TO MY PERSONALITY LIKE" you're probably going to push me far far away.

But I guess I'm just one person. Clearly the world disagrees with me on not making a huge deal out of this. C'est la vie.
__________________
Sarcasm, its what social able people have, you know wen you go out and meet chicks just not on forums 1,000,000 miles away from you and you ask them what color underwear they have. - Aristotle, 355 B.C
Reply With Quote
  #43    
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Alex's Avatar
Alex
Mmm, yeah
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 16
Nature: Naive
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
I decided to go ahead and give a shot at refuting a few of the points made in this thread, in addition to some of the things I mentioned in my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroblast View Post
I don't see why Ellen Page coming out was such a news, especially since millions of gays and lesbians go through the same process. The very concept of "outing" that even exists today and is something that a lot of gays and lesbians face still highlights that we still have a long way to go.
I think that a celebrity's business is just that: tabloid celeb TV drama ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ that's designed to give us a sense of place in society (I don't care for it if you can gather that much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
This. I don't particularly think coming out that you're gay or lesbian should be so highly sought after in terms of learning that someone's homosexual. Until coming out that you're gay or lesbian is just the same as "coming out" that you're straight, no significant progress will be made.

This is why I didn't really understand why it was such huge news that Michael Sam (college football player, expected to be drafted in 2014, came out as gay in an interview) announced that he was gay. I don't think it should matter and I don't really see the point of announcing it to the world. I understand that it's meant to gain further acceptance of the LGBT community, but society should be progressing to the "no one has to come out" mentality instead of the "gays and lesbians should come out but it shouldn't be a big deal" mentality.
When does all this just boil down into a bunch of crap somebody made up? The simple-minded are too short-sighted to see the big picture of where this problem is arising. We shouldn't be focusing our efforts particularly on minorities or non-minorities; that allows for the table to be simply flipped the other direction instead of leveled like it should be. Think of these things we've made up (minorities, sexuality, etc) as a bunch of weights that sit on the pedestal of mankind. Instead of wasting time fooling around with these arbitrary weights that serve no purpose other than to divide us, frantically trying to get them to sit right (which they never will), here's a thought: Take them off the table! Forget "minorities" or "gays" or whathaveyou even existed, because in the end it's all in our heads, and its holding us down. All we are are humans, and if we as a species can bring up the intestinal fortitude to see us as all one and the same like we are, we'll be able to fly past this trivial nonsense like it wasn't even a problem to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiran View Post
Celebrities coming out is a huge deal currently for numerous reasons - and it will ALWAYS be a big deal because it will forever remain important that queer youth feel represented in all aspects of media.
As I said to Seattle, celebrities are simply what they are: media puppets for our entertainment. A "popular individual" coming out as gay is just as important to me as that same person getting kicked off a TV show, or getting incarcerated – which is to say it is of zero importance to me. Nowadays they're meat puppets, and I hold little if any regard to such a legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogles View Post
These statistics further sustain the very problem we're fighting (see my block above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogles View Post
let's say it all together

Visibility is a powerful tool against homophobia

Visibility is a powerful tool against homophobia

Visibility is a powerful tool against homophobia

Visibility is a powerful tool against homophobia

Visibility is a powerful tool against homophobia

Visibility is a powerful tool against homophobia

The fact that it's straight people who are saying "why should we care sexuality is a non-issue" is actually incredibly telling. How about you guys use some critical thinking for once.
First, I find it rather annoying that you go through such lengths to clog up your post with nonsensical chanting. Aside from that, I think the thing you're itching at and misunderstanding the majority of people in this thread who argue that sexuality is a non-issue, since it seems you have the false notion you gathered that they think it should just be ignored; this is not the case. Rather, as I explained in my first big block of text, destroy the useless categorization of humans that does nothing but divide us (not to mention it's impossible to accurately categorize all facets of human existence anyway), and look at someone who is gay as simply being in a different state of being than a straight person. It is problematic that humans wish to categorize and rank individuals out of arbitrary numbers and words, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogles View Post
On another note I find these jokes insanely disrespectful. Someone just took the time to do a huge leap forward with courage and then people go "aww now I can't date them aren't I funny lol". No, you're not. The rest of your post is completely incomprehensible.



I'm honestly starting to wonder if people are reading my posts. Visibility is a powerful tool against homophobia.
Um okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogles View Post
Um whether parents support their children actually has a huge impact on them and I think it's close-minded not to say that? If kids are going to be kicked out of their house/forced to be felt like they're completely different/said they're "not normal" by their parents then it in turns becomes their problem. It's a personal decision and I don't think anybody (gay or straight) really has any right to tell who they should come out to or not.
I wanted to comment on this as I can speak from experience with bigoted parents. In all honesty, whether they're your parent, sibling, cousin, aunt/uncle, friend down the street, your local mayor, or the guy that shined your shoes last week on the street corner, you are going to have idiots that don't think rationally in your life. Period. The only real difference between those morons being your parent(s) is the fact that they hold a power grip on your entire existence and future, to which I will concede a point that parental acceptance is important during childhood merely because of this factor of control and responsibility they grasp.


I think I'm content with what I've said here.
Reply With Quote
  #44    
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Ursula's Avatar
Ursula
have we got a deal?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: texas
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to Ursula Send a message via Skype™ to Ursula
Ideally, no, we wouldn't have to come out. Labels wouldn't matter - and they shouldn't.

But, this is the real world where people die for coming out of the closet. In some countries, it's an offense by death. Heck, in parts of the USA, it's akin to social suicide. So, why wouldn't those who can do it without being chastised for attention-laundering?

Why shouldn't they come out and let people know it's okay to feel this way?
It's like Moogles said, 'Visibility is a powerful tool against homophobia'. You're letting people know it's okay. You're letting people know it's not an abnormality. You're letting people know that they're not abnormal.

And that's fine by me.
__________________
JOIN THE CHAT!
Paired with Hiroshi Sotomura and Cherrim
Reply With Quote
  #45    
Old April 5th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Keiran's Avatar
Keiran
Moshtradamus
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
snip
Categorization of humans and labels can't be that useless considering you're conversing with other people on a forum that exists for the purpose of connecting people that identify as a fan of Pokémon.

Issues that other people deal with aren't trivial simply because they're not important to you.
__________________
Mod of Trade Corner| Pair | Trainer Information

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Reply With Quote
  #46    
Old April 5th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Moogles's Avatar
Moogles
better than u
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dalhousie University
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
These statistics further sustain the very problem we're fighting (see my block above).
If you're honestly going to sit here and tell me that if a gay athlete or something coming out isn't a huge deal in a zone that is riddled with casual homophobia then I Don't Know What To Tell You. Famous people coming out a gay is a huge deal because there are not many people in the limelight who are open about it. It brings media attention. return to I Don't Know What To Tell You if you do not understand this.

Quote:
First, I find it rather annoying that you go through such lengths to clog up your post with nonsensical chanting.
I don't care.

Quote:
Aside from that, I think the thing you're itching at and misunderstanding the majority of people in this thread who argue that sexuality is a non-issue, since it seems you have the false notion you gathered that they think it should just be ignored; this is not the case. Rather, as I explained in my first big block of text, destroy the useless categorization of humans that does nothing but divide us (not to mention it's impossible to accurately categorize all facets of human existence anyway), and look at someone who is gay as simply being in a different state of being than a straight person. It is problematic that humans wish to categorize and rank individuals out of arbitrary numbers and words, isn't it?
"Useless categorization" We are all different for very good reason and we should be known as such in both historical and sociological contexts. I refuse to entertain this any longer.

Quote:
I wanted to comment on this as I can speak from experience with bigoted parents. In all honesty, whether they're your parent, sibling, cousin, aunt/uncle, friend down the street, your local mayor, or the guy that shined your shoes last week on the street corner, you are going to have idiots that don't think rationally in your life. Period. The only real difference between those morons being your parent(s) is the fact that they hold a power grip on your entire existence and future, to which I will concede a point that parental acceptance is important during childhood merely because of this factor of control and responsibility they grasp.
Ok cool so every gay kid is going to react to his parents just like you and will be rational in thought. It's not like older people have parental issues or anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
__________________
Me. I am Moogles... The Elusive Chanteur

Quote:
Honestly, Moogles, your posts are so nigh impossible to understand that I cannot help but just scratch my head. I know you’re trying to be clever and cute with your outright… pitiful writing style, but I’ll… try to tackle whatever drivel you said.
Reply With Quote
  #47    
Old April 5th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Alex's Avatar
Alex
Mmm, yeah
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 16
Nature: Naive
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiran View Post
Categorization of humans and labels can't be that useless considering you're conversing with other people on a forum that exists for the purpose of connecting people that identify as a fan of Pokémon.
What I'm referring to is the categorization and marking of humans as an effort to justify wrongdoings; this (more often than not) is what sexuality is misused for by the seekers of turmoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiran View Post
Issues that other people deal with aren't trivial simply because they're not important to you.
Look at it this way, then: I care about as much towards a celebrity coming out as I do a kid down the street. It's nice and all that he/she's finally done it, but I'm not going to give someone special treatment over it because some fat old rich white man decided to stick a wad of cash up their ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
These statistics further sustain the very problem we're fighting (see my block above).
If you're honestly going to sit here and tell me that if a gay athlete or something coming out isn't a huge deal in a zone that is riddled with casual homophobia then I Don't Know What To Tell You. Famous people coming out a gay is a huge deal because there are not many people in the limelight who are open about it. It brings media attention. return to I Don't Know What To Tell You if you do not understand this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
First, I find it rather annoying that you go through such lengths to clog up your post with nonsensical chanting.
I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Aside from that, I think the thing you're itching at and misunderstanding the majority of people in this thread who argue that sexuality is a non-issue, since it seems you have the false notion you gathered that they think it should just be ignored; this is not the case. Rather, as I explained in my first big block of text, destroy the useless categorization of humans that does nothing but divide us (not to mention it's impossible to accurately categorize all facets of human existence anyway), and look at someone who is gay as simply being in a different state of being than a straight person. It is problematic that humans wish to categorize and rank individuals out of arbitrary numbers and words, isn't it?
"Useless categorization" We are all different for very good reason and we should be known as such in both historical and sociological contexts. I refuse to entertain this any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I wanted to comment on this as I can speak from experience with bigoted parents. In all honesty, whether they're your parent, sibling, cousin, aunt/uncle, friend down the street, your local mayor, or the guy that shined your shoes last week on the street corner, you are going to have idiots that don't think rationally in your life. Period. The only real difference between those morons being your parent(s) is the fact that they hold a power grip on your entire existence and future, to which I will concede a point that parental acceptance is important during childhood merely because of this factor of control and responsibility they grasp.
Ok cool so every gay kid is going to react to his parents just like you and will be rational in thought. It's not like older people have parental issues or anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
It appears that you have completely shut yourself off from any line of logic or reason, and I am going to do no further to convince you of anything.

By the way,
Quote:
Ok cool so every gay kid is going to react to his parents just like you and will be rational in thought. It's not like older people have parental issues or anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
I'm bisexual, not just gay. Can't even get that straight in your rant, can you, Mr. Man?
Reply With Quote
  #48    
Old April 5th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Jude Mathis's Avatar
Jude Mathis
[ counting stars ]
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kansas, USA
Gender: Female
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
As I said to Seattle, celebrities are simply what they are: media puppets for our entertainment. A "popular individual" coming out as gay is just as important to me as that same person getting kicked off a TV show, or getting incarcerated – which is to say it is of zero importance to me. Nowadays they're meat puppets, and I hold little if any regard to such a legacy.
Okay, but you're not the entire population of America. So unfortunately, and fortunately for a lot of people, celebrities coming out is a big deal. It shouldn't have to be, but sadly we live in a world where if you come out as gay some people's reaction would be to want to shoot you in the head, or stick you in a concentration camp. So for someone whose got cameras in their face, and paparazzi following them around to put that sorta label on themselves.. is actually a pretty brave thing to do, and I think they do so with the hope that it will inspire others to think that it's okay to tell people what you feel or how you are. They risk attacks, and hates, but do actually send a good message.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49    
Old April 5th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Alex's Avatar
Alex
Mmm, yeah
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 16
Nature: Naive
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Lowell View Post
Okay, but you're not the entire population of America. So unfortunately, and fortunately for a lot of people, celebrities coming out is a big deal. It shouldn't have to be, but sadly we live in a world where if you come out as gay some people's reaction would be to want to shoot you in the head, or stick you in a concentration camp. So for someone whose got cameras in their face, and paparazzi following them around to put that sorta label on themselves.. is actually a pretty brave thing to do, and I think they do so with the hope that it will inspire others to think that it's okay to tell people what you feel or how you are. They risk attacks, and hates, but do actually send a good message.
I think you took assumption of the implied magnitude of my statement. If you didn't get that, basically I'm saying my opinion is my own; you're right, I'm not the entire population of the US. Should I be? I think balance is good in any situation.
Reply With Quote
  #50    
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Moogles's Avatar
Moogles
better than u
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dalhousie University
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It appears that you have completely shut yourself off from any line of logic or reason, and I am going to do no further to convince you of anything.
Ok I could literally say the same about you here so ,,|,,

Quote:
I'm bisexual, not just gay. Can't even get that straight in your rant, can you, Mr. Man?
That seems a little unfair to me. I don't believe in your post you indicated that you were bisexual (If you did feel free to shut me down because obviously I can't read) and then calling me Mr. Man like??? dude I don't get what your damage is but ok...
__________________
Me. I am Moogles... The Elusive Chanteur

Quote:
Honestly, Moogles, your posts are so nigh impossible to understand that I cannot help but just scratch my head. I know you’re trying to be clever and cute with your outright… pitiful writing style, but I’ll… try to tackle whatever drivel you said.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.