The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Anime & Manga

Notices

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Ozymandias
we're just two lost souls
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ozymandias

Advertise here
There's one for Pokemon and Gaming so I decided to bring it here! :D just for Lapras

Anyways Basically what you do is post some opinion you state any and all anime related opinions you have that you think are unpopular among the Anime/Manga community. And an extra note PLEASE don't attack someone else for their comments. You may disagree with them, but keep it civil.

For me the one that sticks out the most is how much I hate Elfen/Lied. I just hated the characters, animation, story, and everything... ugh... I can't stand that show >.<

Also I don't really like alot of shonen shows: Naruto, One Piece, Bleach (after a certain point) the list goes on and on.

Oh and SAO can go die along with it's fan girls ;D
Old February 17th, 2014, 10:29 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
Oh and SAO can go die along with it's fan girls ;D
Even though it's got iffy pacing and lots of other flaws, it's still a fun ride (which is the most important thing I seek out in a series)! >:(

A potentially unpopular opinion I hold is that I thoroughly enjoy the Pokemon anime, yet think the first season was actually among the worst seasons for the anime.

I also like dubs more than subs. This recently changed.
Old February 17th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Incursio

Nature: Sassy
Hi this is my first post

- SAO is okay. But it got overrated and the second arc isn't as good as the first so meh.

- I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but Toriko is terribly bad.

- Watching Bleach after the Soul Society Arc is cancerous to your health. Stay away.

- Shingeki no Kyojin is good, but when you read the manga and get to the latest chapters, it gradually bores me more and more.
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Raine
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I agree with the previous posts saying SAO is overrated. Aside from Kirito being the main character, there was nothing that kept me interested, especially when they decided to send them to another MMORPG. Like, what?

Never understood the hype for Naruto, One Piece, and Fairy Tail. Never watched the latter 2 series and Naruto I stopped watching after 100 episodes. Naruto's voice was getting on my nerves.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Eotenas are boring crap.
Naruto is repetitive and filler-filled mediocre overhyped anime.
Aku no Hana is the worst anime ever created.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old February 18th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Spinosaurus

Swords Art Online being bad is an unpopular opinion?

Well, ****.
Old February 18th, 2014, 10:13 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lapras- View Post
My favourite anime>Your favourite anime
*insert table-flip gif here*

though from a writing, mass appeal, and execution standpoint that may very well be true since my favorite anime is either Haruhi or Genshiken depending on the alignment of the planets, and sometimes it's even Pokemon, and many of the jokes require an understanding of the subcultures tied to the series in a way

Another unpopular opinion I have is that the Endless Eight was one of the best things to ever happen in an anime. EVER. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And that Angel Beats was good but overhyped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post

Well, ****.
To the masses, yes. It's pretty well hyped and quite liked Stateside.
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanille Sky View Post
Never understood the hype for Naruto, One Piece, and Fairy Tail. Never watched the latter 2 series and Naruto I stopped watching after 100 episodes. Naruto's voice was getting on my nerves.
well obviously lol, if you haven't watched OP and FT how do you expect to understand?

Um, probably my only unpopular opinion is that I didn't think Neon Genesis Evangelion was really good. I watched all the episodes and then the Rebuild movies just to see if those would be better, but they weren't imo. =/
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altairis View Post
well obviously lol, if you haven't watched OP and FT how do you expect to understand?

Um, probably my only unpopular opinion is that I didn't think Neon Genesis Evangelion was really good. I watched all the episodes and then the Rebuild movies just to see if those would be better, but they weren't imo. =/
Good point XD But it's personal preference that I don't like either one of their concepts/themes Another unpopular opinion of mine would have to be character-related: Inoue Orihime from Bleach is the only female character I've actually liked (though her seiyuu makes her slightly annoying at times), but her personality is one I can even relate to.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Mew
New Species Pokémon

Nature: Brave
I actually like the Pokémon anime, unlike people who say "it isn't mature/hardcore/Ash is a ******* n00b".

Mew
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:37 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post

Another unpopular opinion I have is that the Endless Eight was one of the best things to ever happen in an anime. EVER. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
JESUS CHRIST! =D
Quick question... have you watched it all together or ongoing style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Less unpopular that Eotenas being bad but still unpopular, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altairis View Post
While One Piece is a masterpiece and Fairy Tail could pretty much be the most interesting long running shounen, long running is still long running, it gets boring after a while :/

Old February 20th, 2014, 08:53 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoshi Ookami View Post
Quick question... have you watched it all together or ongoing style?
I definitely did not watch it while it was airing. Got introduced to Haruhi too late to catch it airing live. I sort of marathoned it, roughly 2 or 3 episodes a night, so I was able to catch some of the subtle differences between episodes.
Old February 20th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
I definitely did not watch it while it was airing. Got introduced to Haruhi too late to catch it airing live. I sort of marathoned it, roughly 2 or 3 episodes a night, so I was able to catch some of the subtle differences between episodes.
Okay...that makes sense.
You can only say that Endless 8 was good when you weren't waiting each week for something new =/

Old February 21st, 2014, 08:56 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Okay...that makes sense.
You can only say that Endless 8 was good when you weren't waiting each week for something new =/
I have a feeling I might have enjoyed it some while it was airing, though. Watching the fanbase rage might have made it more enjoyable, hahaha.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:43 AM
Toutebelle
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I think watching Hetalia is worse than having your appendix pulled without anesthetics. Watching countless pathetic attempts at ethnic humor is painful. I consider ethnic humor to be along the lines of black comedy (no pun intended).
Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:44 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Quote:

While One Piece is a masterpiece and Fairy Tail could pretty much be the most interesting long running shounen, long running is still long running, it gets boring after a while :/
Well yes, but that's not what I was addressing lol. I was saying that since Vanille Sky hadn't watch any of the latter at all, then how could they understand the hype or not? I didn't say anything about shows being long running or boring or anything.

Also, I thought of more! I thought Free! was really bad. I guess this is an unpopular opinion because I see it everywhere. I also really didn't like Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun or Kaichou wa Maid-sama, but they weren't as bad as Free!
Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
derozio
my ghost is whispering to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Here we go:

- Mirai Nikki, SAO, Infinite Stratos and Elfen Lied are among the worst anime I've seen. Like, at least Mirai Nikki is somewhat enjoyable so it is watchable. SAO is okay for a while but then it goes south...really fast. IS and Elfen Lied are just plain bad. Just...bad. Heard Elfen Lied manga is good, though. Will check that out.
- I think FT is highly overrated. As in, it is a popcorn shounen with plenty of asspulls and problems but is fun as long as you can overlook those problems. But it is nowhere near the "Great" show people consider it to be.
- I personally think the One Piece anime (NOT the manga), as of now, sucks (still have it as 10 on MAL cuz bias for manga lel). It suffers from bad pacing and animation. It was really, really great for the first few hundred episodes. Now...not so much. It desperately NEEDS filler arcs so that it doesn't need to have that ♥♥♥♥♥♥ 1-chapter/episode pacing.
- One Piece manga is in a different league when it comes to world building and loveable characters. It being mentioned in the same sentence as Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail irk me. I consider all three highly inferior in comparison to OP. :p
- Kill la Kill is one of the most enjoyable shows I've seen. Also, yes, I do think it has some themes incorporated in its narrative if you do look into it. It isn't just pointless fanservice with girls fighting using swords in skimpy clothing.
- Gintama anime, contrary to what most people initially think, is not pointless. It is great and probably the best anime I've seen. :p

EDIT: Moar
- Attack on Titan is probably the most overrated series EVER. It blew up for no reason. Granted, first few episodes WERE good but then it drops the ball fast. The manga is just dragging at this point and I haven't read it for months. Its just THAT uninteresting. :/
- Steins;Gate, with a 9+ rating on MAL, seems like a series quite a lot consider "really great". I don't think it deserves the hype, though. It is good, enjoyable and all but...not THAT good.

Last edited by derozio; February 22nd, 2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:58 PM
isthatyoudan
doesn't work well with others...

Nature: Quirky
Does anyone share this opinion with me?
I love the one piece anime (I think anyone can tell), but it has way too many flashbacks of stuff we've already seen on the show. Not like flashbacks of stuff in the past, I mean flashbacks of one scene a few episodes ago. So annoying. And the "previously on one piece" kinda stuff at the beginning is way too long.
These things annoy me so much! But the rest is great.

I'm Reading...
Just finished a volume of Soul Eater, volume 14. At this point, it has become very different compared to the anime, and I kind of like it. Some of the characters have gotten a lot more fleshed out (specifically the meister team of Ox, Kilik, and Kim), and things are happening quite differently. An exciting read.

I'm Playing...
The iPod music game, Cytus. While I may not know very many of the songs, I really like its music, and the gameplay is easy to pick up yet takes quite a while to master. A friend has seen me play it and he says I make it look easy, but I am still having a fun and challenging time. Definitely worth the price.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:06 PM
derozio
Community Supporter

^ well, of course. The OP anime runs close to the manga. So, in order to not catch up AND not make filler arcs AND to not take breaks, the anime chooses to have bad pacing - a one chapter per episode pacing. SO, they need to stretch out things in order to fill in an episode's time. Filler scenes are put inside canon parts, the intro part is there for padding and they just drag some scenes to no end. Honestly, seeing the anime adaptation of my favorite manga in such a horrendous state saddens me. :(
Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:07 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthatyoudan View Post
Does anyone share this opinion with me?
I love the one piece anime (I think anyone can tell), but it has way too many flashbacks of stuff we've already seen on the show. Not like flashbacks of stuff in the past, I mean flashbacks of one scene a few episodes ago. So annoying. And the "previously on one piece" kinda stuff at the beginning is way too long.
These things annoy me so much! But the rest is great.
How is this an unpopular opinion? Nobody liked recaps.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:54 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lapras- View Post
How is this an unpopular opinion? Nobody liked recaps.
Unless they are Kill la Kill style.

Old February 23rd, 2014, 06:22 AM
Magic

One Piece was boring and I gave up around episode 60. Too slow. Saying something considering I'm used to slow, long running series.

Levi in Attack on Titan was not an interesting character (he's normally praised).

Bleach's Bountou arc was good.

Naruto Shippuuden (minus the filler) has been a fantastic run.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:51 AM
Ozymandias
we're just two lost souls
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Ozymandias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
One Piece was boring and I gave up around episode 60. Too slow. Saying something considering I'm used to slow, long running series.

Levi in Attack on Titan was not an interesting character (he's normally praised).

Bleach's Bountou arc was good.

Naruto Shippuuden (minus the filler) has been a fantastic run.
I agree with everything but the last two XD
Old February 23rd, 2014, 01:09 PM
derozio
Community Supporter

^ 2010-2012 me would've gone "ur tastes suck" on you both. :p But I can see why you guys would consider OP slow. I personally think it was just the right pacing for the first 300 episodes.

Then it began to drag. But I still enjoyed it because I marathoned a major part of it. Then, by watching it weekly, I came to realize how horrendous the pacing really is. :( I don't like Levi either. In fact, apart from Mikasa (dat mary sue), I don't really like anyone.

I was browsing MAL forums a while ago and I was surprised by the amount of people that said Steins;Gate was their personal fave of all time and pretty much the best anime overall. I still don't get it. What makes it so great?! ;____;
Old February 23rd, 2014, 03:34 PM
Pyrax
World Class Baka

Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrax
Personally, I believe Madoka relies too heavily on shock twists, and that a lot of people are putting it on a pedestal and claiming it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. While I respect you for liking it, there comes a point where it's just plain annoying to see magical girl anime as a whole being synonymous with Madoka.

Speaking of magical girl anime:
Cardcaptor Sakura > Madoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakazuki View Post
What makes it so great?! ;____;
I'd say it's the solid, character-driven storyline, primarily in the second half (if I remember correctly, the first half focused on getting to know the characters).
"The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate… Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yet, the arcana is the means by which all is revealed. Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end. It matters not who you are… Death awaits you" - Nyx

Last edited by Pyrax; February 23rd, 2014 at 03:55 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here