The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Anime & Manga

Notices

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:18 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrax View Post
Personally, I believe Madoka relies too heavily on shock twists, and that a lot of people are putting it on a pedestal and claiming it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
... This is exactly why I liked Madoka I love stuff like that personally, but there are definitely reasons why it's not the best and ofc not everyone likes that kind of stuff.

Also I don't mean to diverge from the purpose of this thread but is Steins;Gate really not that good? I've had like 10 people tell me to watch it recently. ;~;

SHOWDOWNGALLERYANIMEPAIR

Old February 23rd, 2014, 06:05 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altairis View Post
... This is exactly why I liked Madoka :P I love stuff like that personally, but there are definitely reasons why it's not the best and ofc not everyone likes that kind of stuff.

Also I don't mean to diverge from the purpose of this thread but is Steins;Gate really not that good? I've had like 10 people tell me to watch it recently. ;~;
People tell me it's good, I've read that it's good, but I can't get myself to watch it sometimes. I start an episode, pause to go eat, and hours pass and I just go to bed, haha. I only watch it for the main male character, Okabe. I don't care for any of the girls at all. It does pick up after 10 episodes, though. I'm at 12 now, which sucked up a lot of my time. I could have watched Hyouka or something. -.-
Old February 23rd, 2014, 07:51 PM
Ozymandias
this world needs bad men
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ozymandias
Steins gate is a fun ride possibly in my top twentyish favorites (not best but favorite) its really slow in the beginning but it picks up quite a bit around 10-12ish I really enjoyed it but if you dont like slow shows i have no idea why you wanna watch hyouka XD I love the dhow but its pretty damn slow (which is what i like about it)
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:01 PM
Lilith
Protect his very soul.

Tumblr gifs are cute and make me want to watch it sometime. Please don't tell me I'm alone in this. XD;
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:49 PM
derozio
my ghost is whispering to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Slightly spoiler-ish post. While I don't mention any HUGE spoilers, there are still slight ones ahead. Do proceed with caution if you haven't read Steins;Gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrax
I'd say it's the solid, character-driven storyline, primarily in the second half (if I remember correctly, the first half focused on getting to know the characters).
Yes, it did. It was after episode twelve and that "twist" (the one that was supposed to 'wow' me - didn't) that things start to pick up in terms of pacing. What "solid" character-driven storyline, though? All it concentrates on after that episode is somehow trying to undo the things done by all the d-mails and trying to travel to the steins;gate world line. Sure, we get to know each side character a little more while the "undo" process takes place and Okabe does come to value the importance of the fact that time is a commodity that's better left as is - not something to be messed with - and gains development in growing up somewhat from a 'mad scientist' who just does what he wants to someone who actually understands that sometime you gotta make difficult decisions (or decisions that stomp all over the wishes of your friends) in life in order to get something you want (and that there's a consequence for all your actions) but I don't get what makes it so great that people call it one of the best anime there is.

It is good (with some flaws, too, obviously), I give you that. The concept of time travel was really intriguing, I'm personally a huge sucker for things like that so I already knew about the parallel world theory and really, really liked the concept behind the "time leaps". A somewhat clever usage of the LHC and black-holes there. :p BUT, I never had that moment in this anime that made me go "Whoa, this is just amazing!". You know, the mark of a great anime? One that "wow"s you? I never got that feeling from this one. So, whenever I see people go "Steins;Gate is the best thing I've ever watched" I'm left scratching my head trying to understand what I missed. :/

I mean, a lot of people called Gintama their best. I dropped the series multiple times in the beginning. But then I gave it a real shot, watched a few more episodes and now I do very well understand what makes it great. It is an amazing anime - just that it starts super slow (horrendously) and the first few episodes are, for god knows what reasons, actually COMPLETE FILLER.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:52 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Dero you're going to hate me, buuuutttttt

I never really saw what was so special about One Piece, despite trying my best to get into it. It was just kind of meh to me. :/
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:56 PM
derozio
Community Supporter

Don't sweat it, I understand really. One Piece isn't for everyone - the unconventional art style, that specific kind of humor and the slow-setup-with-huge-payoff style of arcs with a lot of wandering around here and there (adventure series after all :p) isn't for everyone haha. Plus, there's always the length too. Those who manage to get into it come out highly impressed with it. Those that don't...just can't get into it. :p

ALSO Sakura > Madoka. Yes.

Last edited by derozio; February 23rd, 2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old February 24th, 2014, 04:59 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakazuki View Post
ALSO Sakura > Madoka.
Whilst I agree I would hardly call it an unpopular opinion. Everybody loves CSS.
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakazuki View Post
What makes it so great?! ;____;

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lapras- View Post
Whilst I agree I would hardly call it an unpopular opinion. Everybody loves CSS.
Agreed but the point that it's better than Madoka can be considered unpopular =)

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Introvert
Banned

Most anime suck in my opinion. There are only a few series that I like to be honest.
Old February 24th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoshi Ookami View Post

Agreed but the point that it's better than Madoka can be considered unpopular =)
I don't think it'd be that unpopular though.
Old February 24th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Sopheria
Your Favorite Senpai
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Here comes a big one. Probably the unpopular opinion to end all unpopular opinions. Get ready for this -fanfare plays-

I actually like the Dragonball Evolution movie. Yea, as a live action adaptation of the anime, it's horrible. But as a movie in itself it's okay, and I like the Goku character xD
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Blastin'Tyruntz
TeaM Spheal's favorite fossil

Some opinions of mine i believe are unpopular:

-SAO for me was actually good, the second arc was meh bt im expecting the 2nd season so much lol.

-I don't get the feelings of everyone about naruto, like, for me it isn't that good of a show, all the guy is doing is blabber about saving his friends, failing, crying a little and then doing the same thing. Pointless.

-I hate Attack on titan. I just hate it. The hate can flow but i don't care, annoying show.

-People saying Bleach was over after the soul society arc, no it wasn't. The bount arc is anime only, and practically non-canon so you can skip all the crap and go staright to the Aizen-arrancar\Hueco Mondo arc and that is it. Bleach has a lot of anime-only arcs with anime-only characters that come in the arc, leave and never to be heard of again. It is not ruining the show or anything.

Fear me Humans!
Paired to some nice peoplez.
Old February 27th, 2014, 01:01 PM
derozio
Community Supporter

^ I think most people say that because Soul Society is considered the only good animated arc of the series by a great many @Bleach is over after SS. I personally agree. I loved SS. Everything after that bored me.
Old March 1st, 2014, 09:34 AM
Digimon Kaiser
White and Nerdy

Nature: Adamant
My unpopular opinions...?

I never liked YuGiOh.

I think Pokemon's anime is dull.

I actually liked, somewhat, Digimon Zero Two, and the Hunters arc of Digimon Xros Wars.

I don't understand the Dragon Ball series.

I think 4Kids only had ONE good dub, Dinosaur King...
-Vladimir Lenin
Old March 2nd, 2014, 01:39 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digimon Kaiser View Post

I think Pokemon's anime is dull.

I think 4Kids only had ONE good dub, Dinosaur King...
What's unpopular about those? o.O (Yea, maybe only the fact that 4Kids and good dub is in one sentence).

I forgot to add this one.

If you don't watch opening and ending of an episode, you haven't seen the episode.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 2nd, 2014, 01:42 AM
derozio
Community Supporter

Quote:
If you don't watch opening and ending of an episode, you haven't seen the episode.
I find this pretty stupid, to be honest. :p Skipping them saves time. And I'd rather not watch an OP/ED I dislike. I do watch all Gintama OPs, though. Cuz I love them a lot.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:58 AM
Blastin'Tyruntz
TeaM Spheal's favorite fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
^ I think most people say that because Soul Society is considered the only good animated arc of the series by a great many @Bleach is over after SS. I personally agree. I loved SS. Everything after that bored me.
I'm guessing you didn't liked the bount arc right? Yeah me neither, but i'm about to finish it today becaus ei only have like 2 episodes left and then-Hueco mondo! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO i love these arcs, it's really giving you the feeling like :"Omg he is using his powers for the ONE JOB he had to do!"

Fear me Humans!
Paired to some nice peoplez.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:18 AM
Orogenes

I personally don't really enjoy Cowboy Bebop that much. The reason for this is that while I find the animation absolutely gorgeous and the soundtrack topnotch, the story never really got me invested. The episodes that I like the most tend to be the humor oriented ones - which is unusual for me because generally I tend to dislike "filler comedy" and prefer drama. For me, Cowboy Bebop is a perfect case of a "good cover but lacking content" situation.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:57 AM
Mr. Downstairs
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Guilty Crown was a really great anime.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:39 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

In what ways was it good? I've not seen it and am only aware that it's probably a hyper-fanservicey anime that didn't have much in the way of plot. It had PLOT instead.

Quote:

I find this one silly because American channels have differently structured (and often longer) commercial breaks than Japanese shows, so it's either cut into the show itself or the opens and ends. Toonami's been giving us truncated versions when it can, but Toonami doesn't control their commercial break lengths. Their parent channel, Adult Swim, does, so if the show fills up all the non-commerical break time leaving no time for openings and endings, those are gone. Usually any next episode previews hit the chopping block first before the openings and endings, though.

Often lately, I've found myself finding shows fun but terribly executed, at least when I delve into the fanservice shows.

I also think milking the suspense and tension of awkward situation humor is taking the easy way out with plot and does the show no justice by wasting valuable screen time.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:47 PM
derozio
Community Supporter

Guilty Crown wasn't good in any way, Donny. It didn't have massive amounts of boobs or anything fanservice-y, nope, but the story was pretty damn shiet and character development sucked ballz. The only redeeming qualities of the show were the fact that it had good visuals and great soundtrack. And a slightly enjoyable first half (12 episodes). It goes downhill from there. Fast.

Just my two cents.
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:32 AM
Goo
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Goo
Quote:
This is totally true though! The person I watched Darker Than Black with walked off before the end of most of the episodes and he didn't understand large parts of the story when I had no trouble at all understanding it.

Loneliness is a disease that can lead to death. They might as well be the same thing.
Paired with Wiilio
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Guilty Crown was one of those shows like Code Geass or Valvrave. Twists for the point of twists, inconsistent characters and a far bigger love/hate divide than usual. Obviously that sort of show is more fun to follow with people weekly but most people should be able to get some enjoyment out of it. I had a lot of fun anyway.

Old March 6th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Dante
→ 悪魔の子 Akuma no Ko

I enjoyed the first 12 eps. Rest was garbage. Marathoned it though.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links