The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 19th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Joel.Lion

Nature: Lonely
Dragging multi-ton blocks up a ramp on logs, over and over, For years. That's how we're thought the Egyptians built the pyramids. And they did it faster then we could do it today. Even with our technology. We don't have crains that can pick up that much weight. And we certainly couldn't do it the way they did it. I've watched all of the Ancient Aliens show, and as crazy as it sounds... It doesn't sound crazy. Do you guys think that could be possible? Or even if you don't think the ancient astronaut theory is possible , do you think that our ancient ancestors possessed knowledge and/or technology that has been lost over time?
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:02 PM
BadPokemon
Child of Christ

Nature: Calm
I am 200% sure it wasn't aliens. I have no idea how they built it. I watched that ancient aliens show before...entertaining, but not at all true.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that who ever believe in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.

Member of the Christian Community!
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:10 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
They build the pyramids using slave labor.

100% clean and efficient. Now THAT's what I call "green."
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Zekrom
Teravolt

I'm pretty sure that we could build pyramids similar to the Egyptian pyramids if we really wanted to. It's just that it would be insanely expensive to do so, and there's no point to it, so no one's ever gonna bother investing psychotic amounts of time and money for it.
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Lance
Master of Dragons

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Mathematically speaking, the current model that states that they were built in 20 years is actually wrong. for that to be true, they'd have to bring a stone from the quarry (those huge multi-ton stones, mind you) carve it, and set it in place every few minutes, which is impossible unless you can instantly teleport the blocks there, haha. It's very interesting. The buildings are built with a degree of complexity that even we don't fully understand, and that alone speaks volumes about who actually built them, given the historical era they were built in.
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:00 AM
BadPokemon
Child of Christ

Maybe the slaves were really, really ripped. Just kidding, there was no way it was built in 20 years. How much did those stones weigh? Say it is 1 ton (2000 pounds). If 20 people pulled it, each person only pulled 100 pounds...
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that who ever believe in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.

Old February 20th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Tlachtli
Crit happens.

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel.Lion View Post
Dragging multi-ton blocks up a ramp on logs, over and over, For years. That's how we're thought the Egyptians built the pyramids. And they did it faster then we could do it today. Even with our technology. We don't have crains that can pick up that much weight. And we certainly couldn't do it the way they did it. I've watched all of the Ancient Aliens show, and as crazy as it sounds... It doesn't sound crazy. Do you guys think that could be possible? Or even if you don't think the ancient astronaut theory is possible , do you think that our ancient ancestors possessed knowledge and/or technology that has been lost over time?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
-Archimedes

People often underestimate the simple machines. The 20-year time frame is most likely an undershot, but I have every confidence a project even the size of a pyramid was doable with the technology and resources available at the time.

Do I believe aliens are out there? The Drake equation theory (and a measure of common sense) would suggest there is some form of life out there, sentient or otherwise. Do I think an advanced civilization flew all the way here to help build the pyramids? Not at all.

A Gen 3 remake de-make, featuring many Gen VI mechanics
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:37 PM
BadPokemon
Child of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlachtli View Post
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
-Archimedes

People often underestimate the simple machines. The 20-year time frame is most likely an undershot, but I have every confidence a project even the size of a pyramid was doable with the technology and resources available at the time.

Do I believe aliens are out there? The Drake equation theory (and a measure of common sense) would suggest there is some form of life out there, sentient or otherwise. Do I think an advanced civilization flew all the way here to help build the pyramids? Not at all.
We have never seen a star form. If for some random reason this was true, what are the chances of aliens even coming to earth? Deuteronomy 4:19

Old February 20th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Puddle
Mission Complete✔

Nature: Lax
With enough people and pullies, anything is possible. However I do believe that in the infinite universe, there must be some other life form out there somewhere, but I don't think neither of us have made contact.

Old February 20th, 2014, 06:23 PM
stp
ShootThePuck

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPokemon View Post
We have never seen a star form. If for some random reason this was true, what are the chances of aliens even coming to earth? Deuteronomy 4:19
You don't really need to bring religion into this.

Honestly, it was most likely simple machines. I'm sure they had the manpower to build pyramids when almost everything people did was in the name of their gods and the Pharaoh.

Old February 21st, 2014, 04:19 AM
BadPokemon
Child of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
You don't really need to bring religion into this.

Honestly, it was most likely simple machines. I'm sure they had the manpower to build pyramids when almost everything people did was in the name of their gods and the Pharaoh.
I was just stating where I got my information from. Nothing wrong with that. Anyways, it was probably simple machines and slave labor. Could they have used some sort of grease on the bottom to help move the stones?

Old February 21st, 2014, 06:29 AM
Hatsune Mika
FireRed Nuzlocke

Nature: Naughty
I wouldn't know exactly either but here is a few things done by this dude who lived in Florida done like the pyramids and explains he knew the "Egyptian secrets" to building.

http://gizmodo.com/how-one-man-creat...923-1443356836

And also this one

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Leedskalnin

I'm pretty sure more looking at is needed
Blaziken, Mightyena, Swellow, Groudon, Gardevoir, and I still have to think.
Alpha Sapphire!
Predicted team for Alpha Sapphire:
Swampert, Mightyena, Seviper, Kyogre, Gardevoir, and I still have to think.
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:34 AM
Zekrom
Teravolt

Quote:

That doesn't sound like a bible quote. The English is too modern and informal.
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:54 AM
Moogles
better than u
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I really do hope that people know that pyramids just aren't an Egyptian thing. There's Pyramids that are seen all around the world! I think the answer sort of questions itself when you understand that not all pyramids are the same in shape/use the same materials.

Quote:
Honestly, Moogles, your posts are so nigh impossible to understand that I cannot help but just scratch my head. I know you’re trying to be clever and cute with your outright… pitiful writing style, but I’ll… try to tackle whatever drivel you said.
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:19 PM
BadPokemon
Child of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Chance Without Zekrom View Post
That doesn't sound like a bible quote. The English is too modern and informal.
It wasn't a Bible quote. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just mentioned the Bible verse that I got the info from, I didn't copy. If you want to know what it says, I'll be happy to type it out for you.

Old February 21st, 2014, 01:39 PM
Zekrom
Teravolt

Quote:
It wasn't a Bible quote. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just mentioned the Bible verse that I got the info from, I didn't copy. If you want to know what it says, I'll be happy to type it out for you.
Oh, you just paraphrased a section of the bible. lol, I somehow didn't think of that. XD
Old February 21st, 2014, 07:16 PM
Raine
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
It's because of our lack of understanding of how they were built that made pyramids an example of a world wonder, no? Similar situation with Stonehenge, nobody knows how they got there! This discussion seems to be turning into a slight debate about the existence of extraterrestrial beings though, haha. On that note, I want to believe that human beings were the ones who built the pyramids, but how they did it is impossible to know at this point. Those stones are of a substantial amount of weight and it would be hard to believe that human strength were able to drag them and somehow raise them atop each other without the use of modern technology. Mind boggler, for sure.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old February 24th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Actually, there's evidence that the Egyptians /didn't/ use slave labour, but rather salaried, skilled workers. Is it such a shock to us that the ancients had developed superb management and organizational skills? I don't think it's shocking at all - it's just people science, needs no fancy modern technology at all. Also, math in Egypt was a thing - you can do all of that in your head. It's rocket science, but doesn't involve rockets.
Old February 25th, 2014, 12:40 AM
Dominick AKA Dom

They had high-tech [for those years, at least...] and TON of hebrew/african slaves which helped the egyptians build them. Also, about a year, I read an article that the archaeologists found an egyptian message board that told that they almost destroyed completely hebrew people [probably the Jewish hebrew people, which ran afterwards from there. I don't believe that the hole "Moses" thing happened like in the bible.] AND that the ones who build the pyramids were ALSO normal workers. Plus, think about the sized of people in those days... My grandma told me that the mummies that She saw were 2 meters high!!

Writer.
I like fire type pokemon~ And Pichu&Pickachu.

Seeking for hackers who are willing to help me~
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Cassino
A TPC classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
Actually, there's evidence that the Egyptians /didn't/ use slave labour, but rather salaried, skilled workers. Is it such a shock to us that the ancients had developed superb management and organizational skills? I don't think it's shocking at all - it's just people science, needs no fancy modern technology at all. Also, math in Egypt was a thing - you can do all of that in your head. It's rocket science, but doesn't involve rockets.
This. The healed bones of the workers suggest they even received the best medical care of the time. Another reason not to use slaves would've been to prevent sabotage of the construction.
Early Egyptian pyramid attempts were, unsurprisingly enough, failures. They learned how to do this; it's really nothing extraordinary as human experience goes.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links