The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:01 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

Advertise here
When playing Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, which character did you choose—May or Brendan? How did you choose him or her? What did you name them after? As for me, I chose May in Ruby, to go accordingly with my own gender. I named her my real name, which would be Ashley. xD" In Emerald, I chose Brendan. Don't remember what I named him, but I think it was Landon.
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:22 AM
The OG Blaziken Mask

in video games where i have a choice (particularly mmorpgs) i usually go with females but in those games the characters have a fully created model with something to look at but in pokemon no so much so i tend to always play as males. i used brendan in ruby and emerald but i cant remember what name i used. i vaguely remember possible names birch gave if you chose him as a rival and i ended up using one of those when i chose him to play as so i think i used landon too

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old March 4th, 2014, 12:20 PM
oshawottlover13

it was brendan and may meaning i picked both. i loved their character designs and how brendan was wearing a hat the whole time. and mays bandana thing. i loved them both so i switched between them on every playthrough.

Completed National Pokedex in Pokemon X on 8-5-2014
3ds FC: 3308-4678-2953 Trades and Battles anyone?
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/leavsidchiptric13
Blogger Account: https://www.blogger.com/home
Old March 4th, 2014, 03:15 PM
xxReshiramxx

Nature: Gentle
I picked May and I went with the name "Kristen" which is my name Lol. I just like picking the character that's the same gender as me it makes more sense to me that way.
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Jmacc

Brendan cause I was boy I played wen I was kid haha and myself or my "cool" nickname haha. It was like usernames before usernames for me haha
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Anuya
Hoenn's Elite Four pretender

Nature: Docile
Brendan because as Jmacc I was a boy, well... I think I am a boy...
^o^
Old March 6th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Blueredemption
Kanto's Castaway

Nature: Careful
Back when i first bought sapphire i chose Brendan, and i think that i named him "coop" which is an abbreviation of my name. nowadays i just use blue for everything

Ultimate Monotype Challenge: Fire

[ Kanto (LG) 0/8 ] [ Johto (SS) Mono 0/16 ] [ Hoenn (S) Mono 0/8 ] [ Sinnoh (P) 0/8 ] [ Unova (W2) 0/8 ] [ Kalos (X) 1/8 ]

I'm not inactive! Just extremely busy lately
Old March 6th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Shadeh
KABOOM!

Nature: Jolly
Brendan for when I wanted to play as serious as possible, also put my irl name in it too.
As for May, I did it for 2nd playthrough or just for "Lols". Named her various feminine names, but sometimes but random slurs for good measures xD
Old March 7th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I picked May in Sapphire and named her "Amy"
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:02 AM
soreninja
Dat Tongue Scarf tho...

Nature: Hasty
I picked Brendan, not just because I'm a boy, it's just because of the character's attire, especially his emerald design, it was probably my favorite design out of all the player characters in the whole Main Series

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old March 8th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Pendraflare
I'm a...fireball.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
Most of my playthroughs have had me picking May. In fact, all my Emerald playthroughs have had me as May. xP I've always found her design interesting enough.
Old March 9th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Elaitenstile
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
It was the first time I played a Pokémon game, so I just went in sync with the intro and chose Brendan in Ruby. Ever since, it became a habit to choose the male player, but yes, I liked Brendan's design and the fact that his hat actually became green in Emerald. It's the first time a clothing change occurred, though that was between two versions.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:54 AM
-Nai-
I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat myself

Nature: Relaxed
I picked Brendan since I´m a guy and named him Nai like all my other characters.
Old March 9th, 2014, 10:17 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

I chose Brendan, well because... I'm a guy
And I named him LilJz since that's my gaming IGN
Old March 9th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Sopheria
Your Favorite Senpai
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
In my most recent playing of Pokemon Emerald, I played as May. I have to say, I really don't like the Brendan character when he's your rival, he's pretty rude, especially considering that this is a girl he's talking to.
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Someday
Patriots 1-1

Nature: Modest
I chose Brendan and used my first name. However, Emerald May looks pretty good, so I have used May in playthroughs ever since.

(While searching for the above image, I found that the birthstone for the month of May is the emerald. Odd.)
Old March 9th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

I chose Brendan so that I could name Brendan Brendan (just like I have all the other male protagonists before and after). Though, the only time that I decided to use the female character on a playthrough was Sapphire, and that was just for the novelty of having a rival with the same name as me.
Old March 9th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Dark Sneasel
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I always pick Brendan for a few reasons. I'm a boy, he looks cooler and May's overworld sprites look pretty bad. I usually name him Brendan, Danny, or Daniel (my name). I've beaten the game with May but I still prefer Brendan. Plus, Emerald was my first game and I played as Brendan.
Pokémon Emerald Specials
Change Player OW in script
Making a tag battle script
G3HS extended Pokemon in the wild
Starting out with Rom Hacking? Click here
#SlowDownFigi

http://chat.linkandzelda.com:9090/?c...overy,fluorite
^Coolest irc... ever
Old March 10th, 2014, 04:06 AM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I picked May because it's always a tradition for me to choose the female trainer as I am female myself.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old March 11th, 2014, 03:05 AM
Aurora
please help to bang crunch

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora
I identify as female, so I always choose the character that corresponds with my gender identity: in this case, May. Nothing much more to it.
Old March 11th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
On my very first playthrough i picked the male protag, and named him Ales after myself (Alejandro). I realized later on that i like the female design better, so whenever i replay the game now i pick May and name her Lara or Laura

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 11th, 2014, 12:59 PM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
I always pick Brendan because I'm a guy. Most video games don't let you pick your own character and name so when I get the chance I try to be myself as much as possible. So of course I name Brendan my name which is Colton. In Pokemon games where you have the choice of naming your rival I always name him after my brother. If it's a female I will name it after a friend of mine or girlfriend (if I have one...).
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old March 12th, 2014, 02:31 PM
jpnm92

Nature: Timid
In pokemon i always go with the male guy so brendan
Old March 15th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
May! Named her May because.. that was her name haha. I named my characters after their official names around that age but later started calling them by my real name.

Used Brendan in a new file on an emulator but usually I go with May because I pick the same character as my gender. But yeah.. May's overworld sprite does look pretty bad, ugh.

pair | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3
Old March 15th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Judge Mandolore Shepard
Spectre Agent
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Every time I have played Pokemon Sapphire, I have used Brendan. Course I have always named him Mando. Course I prefer May's design more than Brendan's design.

OSO STRONG
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here