The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 15th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Endless
& give nothing back

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless

Advertise here
Sky battle is a new battling system introduced in generation six, where you fight against others in air instead of the ground. Only a select number of Pokémon could participate in this type of match; flying-types (not all) and those who have Levitate ability. What are your thoughts on this? Do you enjoy it? In total, how many sky battles have you participated in thus far?
Old March 15th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Elements1
Meh

Nature: Calm
I've been in one sky battle, not sure how many there are though. I think their ok, I like how that sorta changed up the battles with sky battles. I wish they had something like ocean battles though, with just water pokemon. What would make it better though is if they an online battle version of the Sky battle not just with NPCs.

Completed National Pokedex: 2/20/14 Dusknoir Finial Entry
3DS FC:1263-7361-4137
Old March 15th, 2014, 09:44 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Sky battles are interesting, to say the least. Pokemon like Aerodactyl are advantageous against most of them. And it kind of irks me figuring out how the Sky Trainers are able to get to those impossible-to-reach places.

Old March 15th, 2014, 09:53 PM
PumpJack
Gentleman Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Sky battles are interesting, to say the least. Pokemon like Aerodactyl are advantageous against most of them. And it kind of irks me figuring out how the Sky Trainers are able to get to those impossible-to-reach places.
They only own Flying Pokémon.
Old March 15th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I always found the eligibility of Pokemon in sky battles kinda weird, because there's some Flying-types and Levitate Pokemon that still can't take part solely because their models don't depict them hovering in the air, like some of the lowest evolution stage birds. I pretty much used Mega Charizard X to destroy those Sky Trainers on my playthrough.

lol even Gengar can't take part, but its pre-evolutions can. Game Freak logic.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

Old March 15th, 2014, 11:15 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpJack View Post
They only own Flying Pokémon.
Not exactly. Some of their Pokemon also have Levitate, like Cryogonal and Flygon. Still doesn't exactly explain how they get to those places, IMO.

Old March 15th, 2014, 11:20 PM
PumpJack
Gentleman Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Not exactly. Some of their Pokemon also have Levitate, like Cryogonal and Flygon. Still doesn't exactly explain how they get to those places, IMO.
Well, they have wingsuits- so one can assume that they simply hired a plane and jumped. Their 'mons helping them make such precise landings.
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:05 AM
mangamusicfan
The Lost one.
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Relaxed
I don't like it.
Cool they try something new but it doesn't feel good for me.

Timeghoul is absolute Awesomnes!
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Ghost Lunis
BOO!
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I find them very neat and interesting. Though, like many have said before, the selection of available pokemon for sky battles is a little small. And heaven forbid if you enter a sky battle thinking you have one that will work only to have it already fainted and the only other flyer is a low level. Yep, I did that.
I completely forgot I was on the way to the pokecenter when I seen the sky trainer and accepted his battle. D'oh!
Old March 16th, 2014, 04:19 AM
Sverige
#justiceforbionic 11.11.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamusicfan View Post
I don't like it.
Cool they try something new but it doesn't feel good for me.
+1

The idea was good, but it wasn't at all incorporated into the story. You could easily play a full runthrough without encountering them once.
Old March 16th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparazzo View Post
+1

The idea was good, but it wasn't at all incorporated into the story. You could easily play a full runthrough without encountering them once.
Yeah, I agree. The sky trainers are completely optional battles, which I'm okay with since sometimes you may not have an eligible Pokemon for the battle anyway.

Old March 16th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Addy

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Addy
I honestly don't like the sky battles and I like that they are optional so I can completely avoid them if I should feel it.

Friend Safari Type: Ghost: Shuppet, Phantump and Golurk
Friend Code: 4253-3789-0112

Vivillons I have: Polar, Modern, Elegant, Continental, High Plains, Garden, Meadow
pm me if you have a Vivillon I don't.
Old March 16th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Burakki Tsuki
Now playing Pokemon again! :D

I completely avoided them throughout the whole game. I didn't have many flying types until late in the game. I will try a few someday possibly if I get X, but I think it's a bit of a gimmick.

Old March 16th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Endless
& give nothing back

Send a message via AIM to Endless
I like it and it's actually very unique, but… it feels sort of random, you know? If we're having some battling system like this, why can't we have one that utilize sea and underground as well? I know there's still time and whatnot, but still. Anyway. even though it's fun, I try to avoid these kind of matches. I just haven't been able to get used to them yet. :P
Old March 16th, 2014, 01:52 PM
LyokoGirl5000
Lyoko Princess

I don't really like Sky Battles. You can't use Gengar because Mega Gengar doesn't have Levitate. The fact that my second Sky Battles pitted my Pidgeot against an Emolga really didn't help.
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:37 PM
JP
wut?
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
They were a nice change of pace, but felt so underwhelming. Only having a few of them and not making it some sort of post-game challenge at the Battle Maison seemed like a missed opportunity. Hopefully we see more of it in the next game, and maybe change some of the requirements (like make it so that any Pokemon with wings can be used, along with the levitators.)
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Phangy
Master

Nature: Lonely
There isn't really enough pokemon to do this sort of thing regularly, be nice is you got something extra for winning, especially since not everyone carries a battle ready flying type. the play through i'm on now is the first time ever i have 2 flying on my team. I think this and inverse battles are just being tested out in this game, maybe in upcoming they'll fine tune it so it'll be worth the time to have decent pokemon to participate in special battles like that.
Old March 16th, 2014, 08:25 PM
hiff8
Gotta Derp em all

It was basically made for commercials, there's no difference at all other than that. I think it'd be neat if it was one of those monthly online battle guideline things.
Old March 16th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyokoGirl5000 View Post
I don't really like Sky Battles. You can't use Gengar because Mega Gengar doesn't have Levitate. The fact that my second Sky Battles pitted my Pidgeot against an Emolga really didn't help.
The reason Gengar is ineligible is because its model in general is not hovering, even in the non-Mega form.

Old March 17th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Shhmew

Nature: Gentle
Ehhh I have mixed feelings about them I guess. I LOVE flying types and pretty much any pokemon that flies looks super awesome with its 3D model. But, I completely avoid them, because they're so random and gimmicky. I'll think I have a battle on lockdown with my super awesome high leveled Noivern, and they send out an Aerodactyl with Ice Fang, or a Cryogonal, and I have no choice but to let myself get creamed. :l You just never know what to expect.

So, well, I think they're kinda cool in theory, but overall not exactly my cup of tea. I've done maybe four of them total and from then on just started ignoring/avoiding them.
Old March 17th, 2014, 04:03 AM
Stargazer
This is the part when I break free.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Stargazer
I was never really big for Sky Battles myself. Again, the limitation of Pokémon and even moves you can't use are what I dislike them for. When you don't really know what to expect and you get thrown a curveball, that's what i'm not comfortable with.
Old March 17th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Raine
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Throughout the entire game, I've probably only actually participated in a couple sky battles, mainly because a flying type Pokemon is never usually in my party at any given time. Since I'm too lazy to go back to the nearest town to exchange them, I've never bothered with them \: Though I would have liked to do more considering it often times gives you a nice experience boost.

— レイン · wonderland · love · achievements · appreciation
Old March 17th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I felt they were ok, although i dont think we needed a new battle type to begin with. They are quite different to regular battles, but making up a whole system for just a few select pokemon seems kinda unnecessary, at least to me.
Its like introducing lets say Underwater Battles for Water types only. Sure it would look cool, but is it worth it??

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Sgt.Dustmop
Saving the world one dust bunny at a time

Honestly, I didn't notice much difference between them and "normal" battles. Still went out of my way to hunt them down for the extra experience just for my flying types, but battle-wise they didn't feel much different. Though I had a Vivillon and Charizard X from the beginning of the game, both of which I adored using, so I may have been a tad biased.

Definitely not incorporated into the story, but at least these gave you a little extra experience if you had at least one flying pokemon to use Fly. I imagine everyone does.. I can't say how many of those are 'battle ready' and kept in the party, but I have always kept mine as an active party member. Just made travel easier.
I'm honestly surprised at how many people don't have at least one flying type at the ready.. I thought that was more common than this, lol.

Please PM when you add me so I can add you back! :3
Old March 17th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
Sky battles aren't much different, besides looking pretty. I still enjoyed them though.

I also like how every eligible Sky Battle Pokemon was animated to be flying in the air, even if their sprites were grounded last gen. xD

Sponsored Links

Advertise here