Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 2nd, 2014 (06:35 PM).
Necrum
Golden Bonnie

Nature: Adamant
Audino encounters everywhere and the dynamic experience are the things I miss the most. The former made grinding SO much easier, and the latter felt like the series moving forward mechanics wise, so I was sad to see them revert to the old exp method in gen 6.
Old April 5th, 2014 (09:57 AM).
NeonicBeast
Shine bright like a Beast
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I think the thing I miss most about fifth gen were the side characters and how diverse their personalities were; they felt really fleshed out and relevant. Compared to the other generations, I don't think any other did as good of a job developing it's 'supporting cast'. Even though X and Y also had a lot of side characters, they don't feel as relevant or enjoyable.

In particular, I really miss N. He was a magnificent character, and his little quirks were really fun. Miss that green haired hero wannabe~

The spritework was also really good in this game; the new 3D models are great, but I can't help but miss the old style sometimes.
Old April 5th, 2014 (01:48 PM).
JayD
I‘m not going to die. Because I’m the one who will protect you.
Community Supporter

I actually liked the medal system they implemented in B2W2. It's like a little personal sidequest you could do and I really enjoyed it
Old April 5th, 2014 (02:32 PM).
NeonicBeast
Shine bright like a Beast
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by LilJz:
I actually liked the medal system they implemented in B2W2. It's like a little personal sidequest you could do and I really enjoyed it
I really enjoyed those as well! It added something to do besides the typical battles, postgame, and pokedex collecting. Really wish they could have kept it, or possibly put in a similar achievement system in the new games.
Old April 5th, 2014 (06:02 PM).
Pendraflare
I'm definitely in my zone.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
Yeah, I always liked that too. It was a nice way of motivating you to do stuff you probably wouldn't bother to do otherwise. Like beating the league with different typed teams, trying to get through the Tower/Treehollow in certain scrunched time periods, and other things.
Old April 5th, 2014 (11:04 PM).
waveguidebuizel
no ordinary buizel

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by NeonicBeast:
I really enjoyed those as well! It added something to do besides the typical battles, postgame, and pokedex collecting. Really wish they could have kept it, or possibly put in a similar achievement system in the new games.
The Medal Rally was fun! It is in X/Y, but only if you connect to PGL, so it doesn't really feel the same.

Aside from that, PWT, Join Avenue, and White Treehollow/Black Tower were great additions to B2/W2. But for me (and probably for almost nobody else), I really missed Pokéstar Studios. It was pretty silly, and I spent a lot of time on it. They could have brought it back in a different, improved form: probably make it non-mandatory (as it seems a lot of people were bothered by this) and have the battles more like puzzle battles (in which there isn't really a script that tells you what to do). Now that I'm thinking more about it, I guess something like the Battle Sims from XD, but having more flavor like the Studios.

while keeping perfect time
you’ll bag up these hearts of mine
with your rhythmic shaking motion
let’s mix up more of our love potion

Water Safari: Octillery, Gyarados, Poliwhirl
Searching for Minccino, Gastrodon, Liepard, and Braixen safaris
Old April 6th, 2014 (10:04 PM).
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
lol I don't miss anything about Generation V, because I still play it on a regular basis!

Yes, I own a 3DS, and I have played and beaten X, but unlike past Generations, it was very easy to go back to Generation V. It doesn't feel outdated to me at all. I've been replaying White and White 2 and enjoying the heck out of it.
Old April 7th, 2014 (01:36 AM).
Fernbutter
Murder is the way.

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Fernbutter
For an OCD maniac like me, this is something that I tried to do as often as everything else. So yeah!

There should be a signature here somewhere.
I wonder where it's gone.
Old April 9th, 2014 (01:40 PM).
Davetunes
MagikarpDrowned

one thing I miss that will most likely never come back, 3Dish graphics. I feel the whole magic of pokemon was ruined with the new 3D. Also, Unova was a region to go down in the history books.
Old April 10th, 2014 (05:52 PM).
Sheep
sheeple sheeple

Nature: Timid
The animated sprites. These beautiful guys only lasted a single generation and they're to date my favorite Pokemon models even if they do look off at times.

Then there's the Medal Rally. As a huge collector I loved stopping by the Pokemon Center and seeing the medal guy waiting for me - was an amazing feeling. Still need to get 'em all but from the looks of things it'll be a long while before that happens.

PWT was another crazy thing that I never got too into but loved nonetheless. One of these days I will conquer the darn thing.

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 LV
Old April 21st, 2014 (03:43 AM).
Captain Barnacle
Banned

Only thing I miss is the Pokémon World Tournament from B2 and W2. Don't get why it wasn't carried over to X and Y .
Old April 29th, 2014 (04:19 AM).
Phosphora
touhou 14.5 hype tho
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Phosphora
Quote originally posted by Sheep:
The animated sprites. These beautiful guys only lasted a single generation and they're to date my favorite Pokemon models even if they do look off at times.

I like how Ferroseed's sprite shows it spinning, yet it doesn't learn Rapid Spin. It's a kick to the face, but other than that, the animated sprites only being around for one whole generation broke my heart a little. I got used to Hydreigon's wings flapping, with it snapping its hands from time to time xD

Another thing I'll miss is the Free Space section in your bag. You could put your utmost important regular and key items in there, so it's convenient and quick to access, just in case you already had something toggled for your use item button or something.
Old April 29th, 2014 (03:10 PM).
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
As much as I bashed Generation V when it was new, I have to admit that there are a few things I miss.

-Sprites. Though the animation of the sprites lacked the polish of those from Crystal, they were leagues ahead of those in DPPt/HGSS. I didn't even mind the fact that the back sprites were horribly pixelated, I still really liked them. Plus, honestly, the 3D models from X and Y seem a bit lifeless at times. The shading seems a bit off, and I honestly prefer the 3D models from Colosseum.

-Music. Is it just me, or was the music in Generation V amazing? The wild battle theme. Dragonspiral Tower. The showdown with Ghetsis. While there were a few duds, I generally really enjoyed the music in the Generation V games.

-PWT. Getting to battle all of the prior Gym Leaders was one of the coolest things in any Pokemon game ever, period. The Maison doesn't even come close to comparing.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old May 21st, 2014 (08:37 PM).
Pepperton

Send a message via Skype™ to Pepperton
Unova wasn't that big of a deal to me. I played and completed Black in days, and rise/repeat with White 2. There just wasn't much that left an impression on me. Some things I do miss are the sprites, for sure. Making them a continuously moving animation improved the liveliness of battle scenes by a large margin, and made them much more realistic. The Pokemon World Tournament was great; Pokemon Emerald did so well in implementing a Gym leader rematch mechanic, and I had hoped that would become a recurring existence in Pokemon games, but Game Freak compensated with PWT, a way to fight all the Gym leaders with new and improved teams. I loved it :]
But I just want you to be sure
That I am yours
Old May 22nd, 2014 (03:15 PM).
Yato
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Yato
There are quite a few things I miss about BW/BW2!

BW's unique plot. Particularly in regards to how your final battle ISN'T You v. the Champion. I really wish they kept up this trend in BW2 and XY.

Gym Leader/Champion involvement. The Gym Leaders are important people, and as such being involved in the evil team's affairs made a lot of sense. Most of XY's Gym Leaders were bland as heck; I would've ben content if even just a few of them were involved in the main storyline or did more than just battle you in their Gym/the Battle Chateau. Same deal with Diantha; she even knew and talked with Lysandre yet she doesn't do anything to deal with him.

Fully animated sprites. I love the models, but it was nice seeing the fully animated sprites in BW/BW2.

CHALLENGE MODE. The best feature in BW2; I was really upset when it didn't make a return in XY.

Hidden Grottos. I thought they were a neat little thing and made finding Pokemon with their HAs easier if you didn't like using the Dream World. However, they aren't as useful as the Friend Safari so it's not too big a deal that they're gone.

Phenomena. You know, shaking grass containing Exp. Points (a.k.a. Audino), dips in water, dust clouds, and shadows over the bridges. I thought they were a cool addition and would love to see them return.

Varying differences in routes/cities. You know, where Opelucid takes on a completely different appearance depending on which game you play, where the area south of Mistralton's gym appears differently, where Route 4 can either be a bustling road with buildings or ancient ruins, and where there was either a Black City or White Forest. I liked these differences a lot.

Free Space in your bag. Why why why didn't they bring this back to XY. It was a lot easier finding the stuff I used most than going through other items I'd never use.
3ds fcfriend safarispc
a man for flowers
Old May 22nd, 2014 (03:21 PM).
DarkPoke001
Newfound Love For Togekiss

Nature: Modest
In-Game medals.

On Black 2 / White 2 these were a cool little features and collecting them just added to the replay value

not a fan of the X/Y PGL medals...

Pokémon Y : Joshua - 0232-9296-9853
Pokémon Omega Ruby : Josh - ^

Friend safari - Ground : Sandshrew, Camerupt and Gastrodon

Y Shinies : Luvdisc, Skrelp, Gyarados, Alomamola, Politoed, Seaking, Dragalge, Chandelure, Maractus, Garchomp, Eelektross, Sceptile, Rayquaza, Blastoise and Umbreon :3

OR Shinies : Metang, Tentacool, Magikarp and Sharpedo
Old May 24th, 2014 (09:16 AM).
pokeguy1417

i miss victini i think. but they should have made it an actual part of the game storyline.
Old May 26th, 2014 (07:46 PM).
Hikamaru
this is all yours
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Nonon:
Another thing I'll miss is the Free Space section in your bag. You could put your utmost important regular and key items in there, so it's convenient and quick to access, just in case you already had something toggled for your use item button or something.
I think the Free Space was one of the features in B2/W2 I used quite often so yeah it was kinda baffling it didn't get carried over to X/Y. It made looking for your most used items much easier.
Old May 26th, 2014 (08:48 PM). Edited May 26th, 2014 by awolfsquared.
awolfsquared
Goomy is love, Goomy is life.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I'm still finishing Black2/White2 so not much, but I really miss the Dream World so much! I know there's a lot of people who hated it for not being on the DS and the time limit, but I thought it was really fun! I miss going into the Entralink and retrieving the Pokemon I got. I miss the mini games and special Dream World events and the special Dream World abilities too. I also miss Hidden Grottos , which I found nice to explore and made getting Hidden Ability Pokemon easier to obtain. I miss the shaking grass which had Audino in it, making gaining so simple. Now Audino only appear at Route 6 and they're levels 10-12 meaning they're only good for Pokemon in the level 10- 20 range. And Free Space too. I wish they brought that back cause having that extra space for whatever you wanted really was useful sometimes.
#704 Goomy
Supporter Collab January 2015
tumblr | ask me things
paired to hikamaru
Old June 18th, 2014 (02:31 PM).
pablitox

Nature: Lonely
What i really liked about gen V is that it tried to be different from previous ones. A good story (which in the end did fall short), tried to have good villains (though the motives were mediocre at best) and the pokemon were mostly forgetable.

So i don't think i will miss anything of this gen. Gen VI was better in my opinion
Old June 25th, 2014 (04:43 PM).
Misaka
Yokoso

Nature: Gentle
Basically... everything. I LOVED Black and White. They are one of my favorite Pokemon game series ever (the other being HGSS).

If I had to choose one thing that I miss the most, I would have to say the story. I thought BW had an amazing storyline. XY just didn't have an effective story like BW did.

[ Signature Currently Under Construction ]

Old June 26th, 2014 (01:22 PM).
Peter Quill
Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw

I miss a lot about Generation V. The animated sprites had a charm of their own, and it's sad that it was short-lived because of the shift to 3D models. Black/White had a somewhat moral ambiguous plot and I liked that (at least that's how I saw it).
I was also forced able to use some new Pokemon because of the lack of older Gen mons.
I also liked Dream World a lot. It's one of the features that I've used for quite a while. I still have DW mons on my Entralink. Couldn't seem to let them be trapped in Pokeballs >w<
I miss the Free Space section of the bag in BW2.
I also miss Join Avenue. That feature alone literally extended my playthrough's game time more than I expected.
I also miss the shaking grass mechanic.

Louiecario in Miiverse | Click Kyogre to visit my gallery!
Old July 7th, 2014 (12:23 PM).
SuperEspeon
Sinnohbaby

The graphics. Ive already ranted enough on why X & Y graphics suck, and why Black and White struck a perfect balance between 3D and normal Pokemon graphics.
Also, loved the new pokemon, theyre the best weve gotten in a while, and much better than X & Y. Honestly, these games in there entirety, are much better than X & Y.
Old July 8th, 2014 (02:57 PM).
Pingouin7
¬‿¬
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
I found the ending in B/W to be epic. I'm not really sure how I would explain it into words, though.
The music at the end added a lot to the atmosphere is one of the things I could say about it, however.
Old July 9th, 2014 (11:42 AM).
Braxien
Banned

I miss Team Plasma, especially in the sequel of Pokémon Black/White. They were badass and the storyline was fantastic.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links