Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation
Reload this Page B W The Elemental Monkeys

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Old March 28th, 2014 (11:31 PM).

I've never been a fan of monkeys or anything monkey based(and yet I play Donkey Kong), but I used them in both games. I play for plot and they're treated as "unofficial starters" who are actually decent fighters to get through the story with.
Old March 29th, 2014 (05:50 PM).
From the Shadows

Nature: Sassy
I did actually use Pansear as part of my team... waited to evolve it until it got Crunch, which made it lag behind the rest of my team a bit, but it could still hold its own somewhat. And yeah, it was still on my team straight through the Elite Four, if memory serves. It's kind of lousy how it starts with Incinerate rather than at least Ember, but that's all right.

Pansage by far is the best of the three moveset-wise, though. Having Seed Bomb so early on lets it wreck things that aren't prepared for it.

And I haven't used Panpour much, but... I still remember Simipour wrecking me in the PWT. Hydro Pump is mean... when it manages to hit, that is.

Regions cleared: Johto | Hoenn | Sinnoh | Unova | (More? Let's finish these first~)
~*~*~

~*~*~
Icon credits.
Old March 31st, 2014 (02:26 AM).

Nature: Lonely
I'm surprised at how many people didn't realize the full talent of these primates. I mean, we're talking 98/98 offenses with a sweet 101 speed stat. Yes, I know, 75//63/63 sounds like complete garbage but when you take into account the immediate threat of each monkey with its movepool, you're gonna enjoy sweeping.

I was stuck with Pansage. Yeah, Grass gets penalized for being weak to 4 types, but Simisage was pretty good for me. He was a physical attackers, so I ran Seed Bomb, Acrobatics, Rock Slide, and Shadow Claw. He was hitting half the metagame for serious damage, I was impressed.

Pansear also would get destroyed midgame. Rock, Ground, and Water types would be introduced and utilized to scare the monkey from appearing in battle. But when you take a closer look at this flaming ape, either running Nasty Plot OR holding Choice Specs right away allows you to have power that is nearly unwallable. Specs Overheat absolutely demolishes opponents, and Nasty Plot Flamethrower certainly puts the heat in the kitchen. Alongside with that, it has Focus Blast, Grass Knot, Fire Blast, Hidden Power, not to mention quite a hefty physical movepool.

Finally, I leave Simipour last because I feel that she is the ultimately amazing member of this elemental trio. The winner with only two weaknesses, she is hard to counter. Once she gets a Nasty Plot and/or a Substitute up, your opponent's only hope is to send in a faster Electric type. Simipour has access to Scald AND Ice Beam, hitting most of the predominant checks in the entire game for super effective or at least neutral damage. Don't like the low base power on Scald? Simipour gets Hydro Pump, a walloping water attack that is devastating. You get a physical movepool if Simipour just isn't doing what you want, which is great for diversity.

Overall, these monkeys have the Magikarp syndrome. They look cute but work poorly, but just you wait until you get the good stuff in order to become a total cute badass ape.
Old March 31st, 2014 (04:40 AM).
Frostbite

Nature: Naive
I got panpour but i prefer pansear
Old March 31st, 2014 (08:08 AM).
Awesome Dragon
Silver Tier

Nature: Adamant
My starter was Oshawott and so I got Pansear . I evolved him into Simisear but ditched that thing as soon as I got Darumaka. I never liked Simisear that much. He just looked a bit too creepy.

My least favorite among the bunch is Simipour. Simipour looks a bit too girly for my taste and despite the fact that it's the best among the monkeys competitively, I'll probably never warm up to it.

I'll save the best for the last - Simisage. In my opinion Simisage has the best design. It looks like a boss. Also, Simisage is one of my main team members in my X Wedlocke.
Old March 31st, 2014 (02:26 PM).

Do not like panpour/pansage
But seary (what I nicknamed pansear) I used him after I caught him at pinwheel forest until after the 7th gym. (Then he became useless)
Old March 31st, 2014 (06:40 PM).
Red Team Best Team
CS

Nature: Naughty
I didn't use the monkeys or the starters in B/W. There were just too many good things to replace them with that worked better.

Paint The Forums Red
#radreds

Old April 3rd, 2014 (06:18 AM).
Love me ;.;

Nature: Docile
I used them for sometime until somewhere where I find other pokemon more useful than the monkeys. If I go with Oshawott, I rather go with Darumaka instead of Pansear since these monkeys are fast swiper they tend to take more hits than any of their respective type.
Old April 3rd, 2014 (12:37 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
I dislike those monkeys. A lot. Almost as much as Ice cream ones. I mean seriously, ugly monkeys with hideous haircuts. Monkey and Primeape compared to them are like Gyarados compared to a Metapod. No hate :D sort of xD

"The future you see is the future you get."
Old April 3rd, 2014 (01:35 PM).
Super Moderator
BS
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
I wanted to like the monkeys, but, I didn't like the designs of the evolutions. They could have been so much better design and ability wise, knowing all the cool different species of apes that could have been used as a model - imagine Simisage as a big, jungle-themed Gorilla with great physical stats. Or Simisear as a baboon or Orangutang. If they were a bit more menacing or stronger, I would have used them, no questions asked. The names are cool, though.
Old April 4th, 2014 (12:04 PM).
A long line? Well I guess it was inevitable...
CS

I really liked my Simipour the first time I played through White. It didn't actually stay in my party to the end of the game, but it gave me a lot of help early/mid game since it learned Scald naturally, which was a huge help against some of the gyms.

Old April 7th, 2014 (12:56 PM).

Nature: Gentle
I got Pansear for my monkey I don't care for these three but I did keep it on my team all throughout the game. It helped me out a lot.
Old April 9th, 2014 (11:12 AM).
is a Shrew

Nature: Lonely
I used Simisear throughout story mode. :) Not very original for team-building, but I usually like to accept pokemon that are given to you or directly encountered throughout your journey (such as HGSS's Togepi egg, Red Gyarados, and the overworld Lapras at the end of the Union Cave sidequest.) I don't think the elemental monkeys designs were that good, but he's my friend so I make a special exception for him. ^^
Old May 4th, 2014 (09:49 AM).
Swadloon Trainer
Silver Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
I used to like them. They were like a second starter. But then when X & Y made them super common i didn't like them so much.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old May 4th, 2014 (11:19 AM).
searching for "something"
CS

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to antemortem
I only used one for the first gym and that was about the extent of it in any particular runthrough. They were kinda weak, even later on, so there wasn't a huge use for them, ya know? I feel like Paul, eh
Old May 4th, 2014 (01:40 PM).
(=^ェ^=)

I got a panpour and only used it for the first gym. There were much better pokemon afterwards so I boxed it. Sadly for panpor it never got used after that
Old May 11th, 2014 (08:37 PM).
sheer heart attack
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Marisa
I got Pansage, and I only ever used it to beat the first Gym Leader. I didn't really care about it afterwards, as it wasn't very useful to me later.

K I L L E R | Q U E E N
Old May 12th, 2014 (03:07 AM).
Nintendo is for awesome people

I prefer the Pansage line over the other two, though I used Panpour in Pokemon White until I could catch a Frillish.

Credit for this sig goes to Ash`, credit for my avatar goes to The Epic Pikachu from Tumblr
Old May 12th, 2014 (03:13 AM).

I think they are okay. I even used Panpour (or better said Simipour) in my team in Black and trained it to a high level. Scald was an interesting move to use. Though there are certainly stronger Pokémon out there.
On a side note Simisage always reminded me of Ace Ventura...
Old May 12th, 2014 (05:37 AM).
I've got new kidneys!
Silver Tier

Location: The planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous
Well i got Pansage but evolved him asap and he learned nothing else so I boxed him. I love their designs and love their evos but their moves are alright. I plan on doing a run with just those three.

I've been here 6 years... Wow I'm old.
Old May 12th, 2014 (05:58 AM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Careful
Not a fan of those monkeys. I already dislike money-like things in terms of aesthetics (that includes humans. Though they're not as butt-ugly as other monkeys. ) and I was repelled more by the cutesy large-head baby image as well. I see large heads and small bodies as just punching bags of absurdity, because it really looks like it'd just go back and forth if you kept punching it. These monkeys suffer a very egregious case of it.

So I ignored them and just beat the gym with my Snivy and a Lillipup. Wasn't all that difficult.

I'll admit I find their evolved forms to be better-looking and more amusing, and perhaps I'd use them in a future team. But since that was my first time playing the game, I wanted to use a lot of the super epic Pokemon I saw revealed rather than some... monkeys.
Old May 12th, 2014 (12:04 PM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Yato
I think I used the ones I got for the first Gym battle a few times, but for the most part, they were placed in my box and acted as Cut HM Slaves until I got something better. I wasn't really a fan of their designs, and there were other Pokemon I wanted to use over them, so yeah XD
3ds fcfriend safarispc
a man for flowers
Old May 14th, 2014 (06:57 AM).
Returning to Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to LavenderTownGhost
I never cared for the monkeys. They're probably some of my least favorite gen. V Pokemon. Nevertheless, I was excited to find Pansage in X/Y.

one less problem without cha
."
Old May 14th, 2014 (03:35 PM).

My first runthrough of Pokemon White/Black was an all Dark-type run (Minus Scraggy, because I did NOT like Scraggy back then), so while I did appreciate Pansage saving my team at the first Gym, he soon found himself being put away for an early retirement.

My second runthrough consisted of nothing but Lucario and Bisharp, so again those monkeys saw no love for me.

I think I'm going to commit to raising all three of them for a Competitive Battle scenario, just because I'm showing underrated Pokemon lots of love these days.
Old May 15th, 2014 (08:22 PM).
yas
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Pepperton
I detested their designs. The concept was good, but their evolutions were bland and predictable. I guess I expected something more from the trio, so I never ended up using them in B/W, or any game in which they're available for that matter. At least they didn't make them the starters of the Unova region. d:

Sponsored Links